Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #61
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
1) First priority is to sit down in the shade for perhaps an hour to think and plan.

I've noticed that they never had both of the partners choosing a blade. Is there some system that keeps them from choosing the same thing? (I usually fast forward through most of the preliminary stuff)
Simplest solution would be for them to choose two. If they both choose a blade, the other gets their lighter, pot, googles, whatever. Maybe he put goggles second as a joke.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #62
Risuli

I'm wondering how much the show is actually cheating outside the view of the camera. As reported in the New York Post a few weeks ago, in the first episode the female survivalist who became ill was provided with IV's and some food. I don't have an issue with that as obviously I don't wish anyone hurt, but the show conveniently didn't mention it at all.

In the last episode which took place on an island the couple couldn't make fire with either method they tried, but after a few days without fire finally got one started and I noted that they suddenly had a green cord fabric type cord which they were using for their "bow" method of fire starting. Again, no mention of where they suddenly obtained this strong cord!
Risuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #63
Azlen

I'm guessing it would be more of an issue early on than later but I'm kinda curious if the guy on the show ever has to close his eyes and think about baseball.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #64
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risuli View Post
I'm wondering how much the show is actually cheating outside the view of the camera. As reported in the New York Post a few weeks ago, in the first episode the female survivalist who became ill was provided with IV's and some food. I don't have an issue with that as obviously I don't wish anyone hurt, but the show conveniently didn't mention it at all.

In the last episode which took place on an island the couple couldn't make fire with either method they tried, but after a few days without fire finally got one started and I noted that they suddenly had a green cord fabric type cord which they were using for their "bow" method of fire starting. Again, no mention of where they suddenly obtained this strong cord!
I wondered about the same thing. I'd assumed it was scavenged junk floated ashore like the couple on the other island found.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #65
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I'm guessing it would be more of an issue early on than later but I'm kinda curious if the guy on the show ever has to close his eyes and think about baseball.
While rationing his protein?
I agree that all of the women have been better than the guys. All of the other guys managed to get pretty badly injured early on, until Fraidy-cat in Panama.
I expected the water apples and coconuts and fresh water she had found at the beginning to solve most of their problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #66
Ment

Quote:
The lady was skeeved about huddling together naked for body warmth when it was raining and that was late in their 21 days when they've gotten to know each other so I'm gonna say that was off the table.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:14 AM   #67
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
The lady was skeeved about huddling together naked for body warmth when it was raining and that was late in their 21 days when they've gotten to know each other so I'm gonna say that was off the table.
I'm not talking about anything more than having a physical reaction to seeing what they are seeing.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:48 AM   #68
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
I'm not talking about anything more than having a physical reaction to seeing what they are seeing.
In my experience, which is considerable, that just doesn't happen.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #69
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
How disappointing for your partners!
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #70
Azlen

Quote:
There's stuff you can take for that.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #71
john4200

Quote:
There's stuff you can take for that.
Perhaps the contestants can choose a bottle of those for their personal item!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #72
Tracy
Truly

My husband is acquainted with one of the producers. He hasn't received any inside information but the show has been picked up for a second season.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #73
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
My husband is acquainted with one of the producers. He hasn't received any inside information but the show has been picked up for a second season.
Not a huge surprise considering it's ratings strength among men.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...uly-14/192311/

Curious if it would the same ratings without the whole naked thing. Probably not.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #74
philw1776

Quote:

Curious if it would the same ratings without the whole naked thing. Probably not.
This show is bringing gay and hetero males together!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #75
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

The nakedness definitely adds an aspect to the show and is the reason we're watching it when we ignore other survivalist type shows. We're recreational nudists and what these people are going through is a bit horrifying.

meh
Old 07-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #76
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:

I don't get it ... the blurring has hidden everything that a swimsuit/bikini would hide, so the naked part is pretty much redundant. What are you suggesting about men vs women watching the show?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #77
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
I don't get it ... the blurring has hidden everything that a swimsuit/bikini would hide, so the naked part is pretty much redundant. What are you suggesting about men vs women watching the show?
I'm not suggesting anything. The story that I linked stated that the show was highly rated in the male demographic. I'm curious if the show would get the same ratings if it naked aspect wasn't a part of it. My guess is that it probably wouldn't but you don't have to agree.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #78
Jayjoans

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
I don't get it ... the blurring has hidden everything that a swimsuit/bikini would hide

Not true.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #79
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
I'm not suggesting anything. The story that I linked stated that the show was highly rated in the male demographic. I'm curious if the show would get the same ratings if it naked aspect wasn't a part of it. My guess is that it probably wouldn't but you don't have to agree.
I would suggest that the nudity aspect would be an initial draw, but since it is so heavily censored, that any sustained viewership is due to the survival aspect.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #80
SnakeEyes

I'm convinced the men are choosen specifically to make women look better able to survive
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #81
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
I'm convinced the men are choosen specifically to make women look better able to survive
Most of the men (all?) have military training -- they had boots and clothes for that. Depending on their training, maybe knives, compasses, detailed top maps, ponchos, canteens (and the metal cups), fire starting equipment, etc.

Military survival training isn't like surviving naked. The mental aspect, sure, but not necessarily the practical. The men went in overconfident.

The men have mostly been... not as good as the women.

The sunburned guy in Panama. Really? How dumb are you? When I was in Panama, I slathered my tanned native American skin with spf 30 and I still burned when out in the sun all day. Sun burn can be crippling and even fatal in a tropical environment if the blisters pop and get infected.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #82
LlamaLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
Most of the men (all?) have military training -- they had boots and clothes for that. Depending on their training, maybe knives, compasses, detailed top maps, ponchos, canteens (and the metal cups), fire starting equipment, etc.
This. I have also felt like the men have been pretty much the lame ones on the show, but that is really because (except for 'fraidy cat dude) they are heavily dependent on equipment to survive.

I also think that the places they visit are not terribly isolated as they appear to be forced along specific routes to their initial camps. They always take what look like horrible/dangerous ways with steep hills/cliffs. Are they directed to get to their initial camp within a certain timeframe thus forcing a straight line route instead of a less perilous, but more time consuming route?
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #83
Hank
AC•FTW

This is "reality" TV, so I would not be at all surprised if they are getting A LOT of off-screen direction to make better TV.

Would it be cheating to remove the batteries from the little video cameras to generate a spark to create a fire? I know they probably don't have enough current to create a spark, but they might create enough heat if shorted out with a filament to ignite some tinder. At least I'd like to see someone try it.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #84
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
This is "reality" TV, so I would not be at all surprised if they are getting A LOT of off-screen direction to make better TV.

Would it be cheating to remove the batteries from the little video cameras to generate a spark to create a fire? I know they probably don't have enough current to create a spark, but they might create enough heat if shorted out with a filament to ignite some tinder. At least I'd like to see someone try it.
Sure production didn't want them to mess with the equipment. The handhelds are used at night, when the weather is bad and the crew isn't there. Perhaps if a light bulb washed up on shore. I'd like them to assign tools for next season. Perhaps a fire piston to have them figure out how to use it.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #85
Hank
AC•FTW

I wonder if they do "cavity checks" before dropping them off.

"Hey, look what I just found on the beach! A box of waterproof matches!"

If they are truly left alone at night and started a fire while the crew was away, they wouldn't know anything.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #86
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Wow, this week was unexpectedly tough. They got off to a pretty good start but it all went to hell. They were a good team. I think they could have coasted if he'd not gotten sick.

meh
Old 07-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #87
Jayjoans

she was a large woman. They should have saved her for the episode in the Amazon. It was funny to see her spooning him.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #88
john4200

Quote:
Wow, this week was unexpectedly tough. They got off to a pretty good start but it all went to hell. They were a good team. I think they could have coasted if he'd not gotten sick.
I disagree. I thought they got off to a bad start when they did not even manage to get a fire built the first day. They seemed to give up early, too. If necessary, I would have stayed up most of the night trying to get a fire going (following the rule I mentioned before, work your butt off the first couple days).

Also, they did not seem to communicate very well for dividing up the work. Letting the fire go out was stupid, and they did not seem to have someone explicitly in charge of keeping the fire going.

I wish the editors added a continuous time / date clock in the corner of the screen. I was trying to figure out how much time they spent the first day traveling to their camp. Did they spend too much time traveling, or were they just let off in a spot that was miles away from any reasonable choice for a camp?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #89
john4200

The lady on next week's episode, Ky, looks like she is a major bad-ass!

http://kyfurneaux.com/on-camera.html

Not much body fat, though. Hopefully she finds enough food!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #90
philw1776

Had the big girl been lucky enough to catch a fish for a meal, I think she woulda hung in for the 21.