TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
sdsvtdriver

lost recordings due to T/A

So once again, my Series 3 did not record my show (Mad Men). While it was "recording" the channel was just a gray screen. This is driving me nuts at this point.. I can't count on Tivo recording anything unless I am around to manually tune the channel shortly before the recording starts.

When I reported the problem to Cox, the phone tech advised the "T/A with USB is the old model, go in and get a newer one". When I went in, they only have the Cisco (USB) T/A in San Diego. They replaced it along with giving me two different cable cards (same make) and the problem still exists.

I don't think Cox gives any care, they're happy to tell me to get their DVR. What's next? Is the Series 3 just too old to keep anymore? Shame, as I have lifetime on this box. Do the newer Tivo's need a T/A? I haven't paid attention to the new equipment, short of hearing they weren't that great when initially released.
sdsvtdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsvtdriver View Post
What's next? Is the Series 3 just too old to keep anymore?
It's getting there, with cable tv that is. OTA is still an option.

Quote:
Do the newer Tivo's need a T/A?
Yes.
If SDV is deployed in your service area you are stuck with it, as I am with Time Warner.

FIOS, if available in your area, is an option for now.

SDV is an evil scheme, foisted on TiVo and computer tv tuner card users. SDV allows the cable companies to offer more content than they have bandwidth to carry, simultaneously. They have, effectively, figured out how to stuff 12lbs of crap in a 10lb bag.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
sdsvtdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
It's getting there, with cable tv that is. OTA is still an option.

Yes.
If SDV is deployed in your service area you are stuck with it, as I am with Time Warner.

FIOS, if available in your area, is an option for now.

SDV is an evil scheme, foisted on TiVo and computer tv tuner card users. SDV allows the cable companies to offer more content than they have bandwidth to carry, simultaneously. They have, effectively, figured out how to stuff 12lbs of crap in a 10lb bag.
Thanks for your response.

I miss FIOS... I used to live in an area that had it and it was great. Stuck with Cox or AT&T here.
sdsvtdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
HerronScott

Quote:
I don't think Cox gives any care, they're happy to tell me to get their DVR. What's next? Is the Series 3 just too old to keep anymore? Shame, as I have lifetime on this box. Do the newer Tivo's need a T/A? I haven't paid attention to the new equipment, short of hearing they weren't that great when initially released.
I don't think the S3 is to old. I have 2 S3 OLED with lifetime that I purchased in December 2006/January 2007 and they are both still working fine with cable TV although I'm lucky that we don't have SDV here (Comcast).

Even a new TiVo will need a Tuning Adapter if your cable company has deployed SDV to received SDV channels.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...13#post9620413
See post #4 in particular.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
When/if all cable transmissions go to mpeg4 format. S3 users are out of luck.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
When/if all cable transmissions go to mpeg4 format. S3 users are out of luck.
Apparently. At least we can hope mpeg4's reduced bandwidth requirements will allow them to get the number of channels they want without using SDV.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote