TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Red Band Society - S01E01 - Pilot - 09/17/14

Figured I would start a thread. I tried to watch this last night and actually gave up about halfway through. I realize that I did not give it a much of a chance but nothing was grabbing me. It seemed like a boarding school in a hospital complete with their own classroom and fancy dorm rooms. Granted, I know little about children's hospitals but it seemed so unrealistic.

I am being exceptionally picky this year about adding new shows though so maybe I jumped the gun when I gave up on it.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
dthmj
Hinky

I actually really liked it - but it was *very* unrealistic. But I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for an hour or so.

I did think it was a little slow - but they were introducing a lot of characters. So maybe it will pick up next week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Gaming Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Personal Blog
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
realityboy

I have no idea how realistic the living/schooling situation was, but I found myself liking this more than I thought I would. I am concerned that it could easily become too heartwarming. It's not as sharp as early Glee, but that's the closest comparison that I can think of.

I thought that Astro might've been the weakest actor out of the kids, but maybe his character just had less to do.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I watched it because it was new. Not my type of show, I know I am not in the demo they are looking for.
It was ok for what it was, but I am going to pass.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
laria
Librocubicularist

Hopefully they will replay the pilot, I didn't realize it started yesterday until I was setting up all my new season passes for next week and it started recording it right after I set it up. Too bad I didn't start setting them up 15 minutes earlier, or I would have gotten the whole thing.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
jlb
NCC-1701-D

We liked it.

I think it picked up for me after the point where
Spoiler:
cheerleader girl seizes and ends up talking to coma boy

I think that has potential for adding some fun to the show. But they will have to work hard to keep it from being too schmaltzy.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Hopefully they will replay the pilot
It airs again on Friday at 8:00 (Eastern/Pacific). This will probably be the only time Red Band Society gets the "Friday instant repeat slot"; Gotham repeats start airing next week.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
It airs again on Friday at 8:00 (Eastern/Pacific). This will probably be the only time Red Band Society gets the "Friday instant repeat slot"; Gotham repeats start airing next week.

Oops, I was misremembering which show I got the partial of, it was The Mysteries of Laura. (which is replaying tonight) I see that my tivo is set to record Red Band Society tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
mattack

That's funny, because I obviously like TV, and try to give shows a shot.. but I too stopped watching & nuked it close to halfway through.. Probably because I know I'm already recording more shows than I can watch, and there are a couple of new shows coming on I want to check out.. (The new cop show that was on at 10 is one I will likely keep watching at least for a while.)

It just didn't hook me, and seemed like too depressing a premise. I mean, some will eventually have to die, right? What's the premise, a new 'outsider' comes in every week? (The cheerleader wasn't very hurt, she will be gone soon if she wasn't gone last night, right?)

Also, even WORSE than the "everyone has a gigantic apartment they could never afford" cliche, the kid with the leg cut off that had the new guy share a room with him had an absolutely HUMUNGOUSLY GIGANTIC room. That wasn't a reason to turn it off, but I noticed it right away.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #10
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
That's funny, because I obviously like TV, and try to give shows a shot.. but I too stopped watching & nuked it close to halfway through.. Probably because I know I'm already recording more shows than I can watch, and there are a couple of new shows coming on I want to check out.. (The new cop show that was on at 10 is one I will likely keep watching at least for a while.)

It just didn't hook me, and seemed like too depressing a premise. I mean, some will eventually have to die, right? What's the premise, a new 'outsider' comes in every week? (The cheerleader wasn't very hurt, she will be gone soon if she wasn't gone last night, right?)

Also, even WORSE than the "everyone has a gigantic apartment they could never afford" cliche, the kid with the leg cut off that had the new guy share a room with him had an absolutely HUMUNGOUSLY GIGANTIC room. That wasn't a reason to turn it off, but I noticed it right away.
Turns out the Cheerleader has an enlarged heart and will need to get a transplant (if/when her druggie self ever gets to the top of the transplant list).

Of course in real live that's not a reason to live in the hospital until that happens, but I'm assuming for the show that that core group of kids will be around for a while.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:50 AM   #11
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
There's something about the bug-eyedness and disproportionate lower jaw of Octavia Spencer that just makes it really hard for me to watch her.

The premise was interesting enough to me, so I'll give it few more episodes, but as others have stated there is just far to much in the way of new shows for me to stick with marginal programs too long this year.

This one is on a short leash.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #12
mr.unnatural

Realistic or not, the show is fresh and not formulated like 99% of most other shows, which is extremely rare these days. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will stick around as long as it doesn't get stupid or too sappy. The show has a certain charisma and the characters are generally likeable. It's definitely going to be one of those shows that tugs at your heartstrings so keep a box of tissues handy. The one question I have is whether the show will be too predictable. I suspect that coma boy will be the one constant with everyone else either getting cured or dying off. Some will probably hang around for at least a season before they make an exit. Either way, they'll eventually leave and get replaced by a new kid with some exotic illness.

FWIW, the vast majority of TV has no bearing on reality so judging this show from that perspective is unrealistic in itself.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #13
Ben_Jamin75

I liked it. In fact I re watched it already.

I loved the scene near the beginning where the nurse's coffee cup said "scary bitch", and after the other nurse commented they finally got her name right, she said how she was afraid he was going to spell it with an e
Ben_Jamin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
FWIW, the vast majority of TV has no bearing on reality...
Wait, what?!?!?
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #15
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Figured I would start a thread. I tried to watch this last night and actually gave up about halfway through.
As did I.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #16
Howie
Out of Pocket

I only watched half of it, too, not because I didn't like it. I got sleepy. From what I watched I liked it better than that Laura one. I'm going to finish the ep after I get done with football for the day.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #17
laria
Librocubicularist

I didn't hate it... I'll give it a few episodes.

Man were those hospital rooms unrealistically large, though. I think they are bigger than my house.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:15 AM   #18
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I didn't hate it... I'll give it a few episodes.

Man were those hospital rooms unrealistically large, though. I think they are bigger than my house.
I think it was supposed to be more like an extended care facility rather than actual hospital rooms. I think the show developers could have made it more believable by setting it in such a facility rather than part of a Pediatric wing in a hospital. Then again, they couldn't have the same setting as other hospital dramas if they approached it that way. The whole scenario is a bit of a stretch, but I still like the premise of the show.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #19
Howie
Out of Pocket

Well, I watched the rest of it, and I don't think it's for me. It tries too hard to be heartwarming IMO. Deleted SP to make room for something else.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #20
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I saw this show listed somewhere that is was new this year. I guess the show's title got me to record it. I knew nothing about the show when I tried to watch it. I didn't even last 30 seconds. I could tell from the show opening that the show wasn't for me.

I think I thought the show was a sitcom. Just from the show opening and seeing it was an hour, I knew it wasn't something I'd like.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #21
tlc

Enjoyed it a lot. Thought it had a Breakfast Club vibe.