TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

TV shows on Blu-ray...what's happening?

I don't know if it's just coincidence, but lately I'm having bad luck. Agents of SHIELD Season 2 and Agent Carter Season 1 are both Amazon-exclusive, with much less discounting than usual. And iZombie isn't being released on Blu at all!

WHY ARE THESE EVIL MEDIA CONGLOMERATES DESTROYING MY LIFE?

(I'd insert a joke about 1st-world problems, but I just watched the evening news, and even by 1st-world standards this doesn't register.)

Last edited by Rob Helmerichs; 09-24-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I wonder if the streaming deals they are signing with Netflix and such require them to not sell disc versions for a set period of time. Maybe TV shows on disc just don't sell well anymore and it isn't worth making them in the first place.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

A lot of titles are going the "Amazon On Demand" route. One disadvantage is, every show I have seen so far that does this releases only "bare bones" discs - no extra features like audio commentaries or deleted scenes.

At least they're being released. Fox recently announced that there will be no new DVD (or Blu-Ray) season sets of The Simpsons released, in part because you can watch every episode on FXX or SimpsonsWorld.com. In fact, some of the producers and writers have said that the SimpsonsWorld episodes will probably have an option for audio commentaries.

Between video on demand and rights fees for things like music (which killed plans to release Seasons 2 and later of Murphy Brown), there just isn't a market for Blu-Rays any more.

That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:09 PM   #4
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Between video on demand and rights fees for things like music (which killed plans to release Seasons 2 and later of Murphy Brown), there just isn't a market for Blu-Rays any more.
But don't current shows ("current" likely meaning in the last 10 years if not more) usually have that already in the contracts?

(OK, one counter example I can think of already - "Cold Case". I know I have AT LEAST a season or two on my dead OLED S3 drive I hope to try to revive some day [along with reviving an OLED S3], largely because of these Cold Case eps that won't be released unmodified!)

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I would imagine it's cheaper to stream than it is to make DVD/BD. And since more and more people have access to streaming it becomes much more profitable to just release it that way. But three things I hate about this trend...

1) There's too much exclusivity, which means that you have to subscribe to multiple streaming services, which can get pricey

2) The lack of commentary and other special features....part of the fun of these discs is learning more about the shows

3) The inevitability of commercials. I'm sure this is coming at some point, just like cable never had commercials and then they did.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Plus blu-ray is easier and higher-quality.

Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Plus blu-ray is easier and higher-quality.
Is Blu-ray higher quality than 1080P streaming? I'm assuming most TV shows aren't going to come with DTS 7.1 sound, so I doubt there would be much better quality. I'm not sure it's really much easier either. Certainly it's less convenient. Of course if you don't have a good internet connection, then the quality is indeed better.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Thunderclap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Is Blu-ray higher quality than 1080P streaming? I'm assuming most TV shows aren't going to come with DTS 7.1 sound, so I doubt there would be much better quality. I'm not sure it's really much easier either. Certainly it's less convenient. Of course if you don't have a good internet connection, then the quality is indeed better.
Blu-Ray's average bitrate is 20MB/sec. Streaming is anywhere from 3-8MB/sec depending on the service.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclap View Post
Blu-Ray's average bitrate is 20MB/sec. Streaming is anywhere from 3-8MB/sec depending on the service.
Ahhhh, ok. I have never noticed the difference really on my 55" TV, but I would imagine if you have a keen eye for it, you'd notice.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
Ereth

Try watching at 120".

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #11
Wheens

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Try watching at 120".
Show Off!!

Wheens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:14 AM   #12
Flop

Quote:
I would imagine it's cheaper to stream than it is to make DVD/BD. And since more and more people have access to streaming it becomes much more profitable to just release it that way. But three things I hate about this trend...

1) There's too much exclusivity, which means that you have to subscribe to multiple streaming services, which can get pricey

2) The lack of commentary and other special features....part of the fun of these discs is learning more about the shows

3) The inevitability of commercials. I'm sure this is coming at some point, just like cable never had commercials and then they did.
4) You live in an area where all the high speed ISPs have data caps

Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #13
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Try watching at 120".
I do.

Oh. You mean the screen size, not distance.

My 73" is working and looking fine but Iw as just thinking that I'll prolly need a bigger one in a few years and I wondered if they still make them. (No I haven't searched.) Costco no longer has the 80" Sharp Aquos I was lusting after in the store. They have yech! Vizio now.

Oh, wait! There's still a 90" Sharp AQUOS for $6K!

http://www.costco.com/51-inch-tvs-and-above.html

Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #14
mattack

Quote:
Is Blu-ray higher quality than 1080P streaming?
(I admit I basically don't buy TV show DVDs or BluRays.. I'd buy all of the Trek shows if they were the de facto $20/season standard price, and uncut [i.e. no jazzed up special effects unless they were turn-offable].. and will likely eventually buy the full Twilight Zone set, largely for the one season of hour long episodes, most of which I have never seen... and yes, I know they're collectively thought of as the worst episodes.. it's still "new to you" as NBC used to say about reruns..)

But even with all of that.. at least once you've finally loaded the Bluray, starting up each individual episode is likely faster.. and unless you have a SERIOUSLY scratched one, you're likely to see FAR more streaming glitches.

(I too agree about the extras -- and gave up on netflix DVDs years ago mostly because the majority were rental versions with no extras.. I still use Redbox via free codes I got from the Viggle app, but most of those are rental versions too.)

So I'm starting to fall into the streaming crowd (I'm including Comcast On Demand, e.g. for HBO shows, though that's technically not streaming).

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:36 AM   #15
Worf

Well, most TV shows are starting to go to a MOD (manufacture on demand) model, which to me basically meant I stopped buying those show's sets. MOD versions are OK, but that's it, it's just the episodes burned to a DVD and that's it.

At that point it's just easier to download the show off a torrent site.

Though some TV series are experimenting with Blu-Rays (NCIS just released a Blu-Ray version of the last season, but that's it).

Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:03 AM   #16
Peter000

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Fox recently announced that there will be no new DVD (or Blu-Ray) season sets of The Simpsons released, in part because you can watch every episode on FXX or SimpsonsWorld.com. In fact, some of the producers and writers have said that the SimpsonsWorld episodes will probably have an option for audio commentaries.

Wow that sucks. I'd love to get a complete set of Simpsons Blu-Rays once the series is completed. Maybe it'll still happen, just not individual season sets.

Anyway, I don't do TV series on Blu-Ray much anymore. I understand why they're disappearing.

Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote