TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2015, 12:57 AM   #1
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Survivor S31E01 "Second Chance" 9/23/2015 *spoilers*

It is so great to have this show back. And this cast is going to be awesome. I like nearly everyone there so it's going to be tough to figure out who to root for.

The way they were showing Fischbach being such an inept outcast, I was sure he was going to be the first boot. Glad it wasn't him.

I was glad to see Kelley take the chance and grab the idol when nobody was looking. Interesting twist to hide the idol at the challenge.

I loved that they took the losing team straight from the challenge to Tribal Council without giving them a chance to strategize. Although based on the lighting when the challenge ended and the fact that it was fully dark when they started TC, there had to be at least a couple hours between the two. I'm guessing the players were not allowed to talk to each other during that time.

I was glad to see Vytas go. I was never a big fan of him and I am a fan of most of the players that apparently teamed up against him. I would have been fine with Abi going as well, but keeping her around means more drama, which is sure to be entertaining.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:08 AM   #2
JETarpon

At the very beginning, I don't know why neither team thought to send a swimmer while the rest kept loading the raft. Based on Jeff's description, that would be allowed.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #3
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

They're off to a nice start, it's good to have Survivor back!

Vytas seemed to be remarkably unaware of how his tribe mates viewed him.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I loved that they took the losing team straight from the challenge to Tribal Council without giving them a chance to strategize. Although based on the lighting when the challenge ended and the fact that it was fully dark when they started TC, there had to be at least a couple hours between the two. I'm guessing the players were not allowed to talk to each other during that time.
And they had all changed clothes.

It was real fun watching Kelly glance back at the tripod over and over during that challenge. I'm not sure how much of that might have been editing, but it was funny.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #5
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I wonder if there was another HII under the other corner tripod for the other team or if they only would have put one there if a clue had been found.

meh
Old 09-24-2015, 07:33 AM   #6
VegasVic
Craps Player

Good beginning. Not a fan of returning players let alone a season where they are all retreads but I'm very happy there is no RI.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Dalton's recap is pretty good. He was there for the first few days of taping so there are a number of behind the scenes stories, including from the TC, that didn't make the edit.

http://www.ew.com/recap/survivor-season-31-premiere

meh
Old 09-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #8
dbranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
At the very beginning, I don't know why neither team thought to send a swimmer while the rest kept loading the raft. Based on Jeff's description, that would be allowed.
Apparently it did happen. Jeff Probst explains here (second question/answer):

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/24...re-jeff-probst

dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #9
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I think JET meant why didn't someone start swimming while everyone else unloaded the boat to the rafts. Kelley started swimming once the rafts were loaded and untied.

meh
Old 09-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #10
dbranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I think JET meant why didn't someone start swimming while everyone else unloaded the boat to the rafts. Kelley started swimming once the rafts were loaded and untied.
I guess I misinterpreted Probst's comment to mean she started swimming during the supply-grab: "We had several boats in the water with camera and sound operators, and when Wiglesworth starting swimming from the beginning we were shocked!"

Thinking back, I do remember her on the boat gathering supplies.

dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #11
pendragn

Quote:
We thought the same thing. I know the contestants get instructions that we at home don't get. I assumed one of them was, "Everyone has to be on the raft."
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I wonder if there was another HII under the other corner tripod for the other team or if they only would have put one there if a clue had been found.
I thought about that too. I was wondering if she was going to try to get it, or pass the information on to someone on that other team.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
TomK

I think the 'evil' people that I'll hope to see go first are all women, namely Abi, Kass, and Shireen. Please get them off my tv asap!

TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #13
VegasVic
Craps Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk View Post
i think the 'evil' people that i'll hope to see go first are all women, namely abi, kass, and shireen. Please get them off my tv asap!
+1

Old 09-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #14
laria
Librocubicularist

It drives me nuts that Jeff keeps calling Kelly Wiglesworth just "Wiglesworth". I guess because Kelley Wentworth is on the same team, and they can't even just refer to them as Kelly/Kelley W. because their last names are both W.

Kelly Wiglesworth has had a lot of facial work done.

I was hoping they'd get rid of Abi... that girl is just toxic. NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BRACELET!

Old 09-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #15
dthmj
Hinky

I decided to watch this season of Survivor, with zero knowledge of what the season was about. Glad I did, the first episode looked pretty good.

Though I have not watched Survivor for a few years - I think my last one was Palau.

I do not recognize most of the contestants, even the ones that were on seasons I watched - I guess I'm getting old!

But I'm looking forward to this season.

- Gaming Blog

- Personal Blog
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #16
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I was hoping they'd get rid of Abi... that girl is just toxic. NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BRACELET!
In her beach confessional, she seems to be so conscious about keeping her emotions in check and not letting her temper get out of hand. But even just the way she obsessed about the bracelet, first asking everyone if they had seen it, and then telling everyone where she found it (despite claiming she was going to give the benefit of the doubt), shows that she simply can't control herself.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I think the 'evil' people that I'll hope to see go first are all women, namely Abi, Kass, and Shireen. Please get them off my tv asap!
No way! Those women will end up making the show much more entertaining. For example, Vytas is gone as a direct result of Shireen convincing her teammates that he had too many connections and would therefore be a threat. I hope she gets a chance to do a lot more of that.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:44 AM   #18
VegasVic
Craps Player

I recommend reading Dalton's recap. Because he's there the first few days he goes over a lot of stuff that was edited out.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #19
JETarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbranco View Post
Apparently it did happen. Jeff Probst explains here (second question/answer):

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/24...re-jeff-probst
No, he's talking about what we saw. She didn't start swimming until they cut the raft from the supply boat because she thought she'd be faster. I meant send out one person to swim for the rice while everybody else was still loading the raft from the supply boat.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #20
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Wow. I'm going to trust that the producers know what they're doing but the material that Ross shared in his recap was fascinating. I hope their decision to leave them out will have a long term payoff.

Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #21
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
No, he's talking about what we saw. She didn't start swimming until they cut the raft from the supply boat because she thought she'd be faster. I meant send out one person to swim for the rice while everybody else was still loading the raft from the supply boat.
They said at the beginning that once you felt you had the supplies you needed you can then start for the rice. I'd imagine that if someone started for the rice the couldn't continue loading the raft.

JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #22
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
They said at the beginning that once you felt you had the supplies you needed you can then start for the rice. I'd imagine that if someone started for the rice the couldn't continue loading the raft.
Yeah I am pretty sure that once someone started for the rice, the team could no longer gather any supplies from the boat.

Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #23
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Kelly Wiglesworth has had a lot of facial work done.
Why don't people who get this done not realize how bad it looks?

Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #24
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Well probably because it cost a lot to go back to the face you're trying to fix.

JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #25
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
If she's happy with it, why should anyone else care?

meh
Old 09-24-2015, 02:09 PM   #26
Necromancer2006

Stephen coming off as completely inept when he maneuvered so well his first time around, he's completely in the dark this time and it was sheer luck that he now finds himself in the majority. He can just sit back now and do nothing while the new school folks pick off the hard workers. Yes Vytas was all kinds of smarmy and creepy, but why vote off someone that strong when you had an opportunity to get rid of a cancer - Abi hasn't learned a damn thing and it makes me utterly sad that fans voted for her to return to the game when there were so many better options than that ugly, ugly player.

Nice grab for the idol by Kelley!

SOLID first episode and to hear some of the behind-the-scenes action in the recap was so cool!

Necromancer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #27
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Obviously they had some serious issues with their previous appearance to be willing to spend the money and risk their safety to make a change. So maybe people who do this feel that the result is an improvement, even if it's not perfect or is noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer2006 View Post
Stephen coming off as completely inept when he maneuvered so well his first time around, he's completely in the dark this time and it was sheer luck that he now finds himself in the majority. He can just sit back now and do nothing while the new school folks pick off the hard workers.
Having listened to Stephen do a weekly recap podcast about Survivor for several years, and being pretty impressed with his strategy from his first season, I'm very surprised at how clueless he seemed in this first episode. But I'm not sure why you say he now finds himself in the majority and can just sit back and do nothing. His tribe hasn't been to tribal council yet so we don't really know how the alliances on his tribe will shake out.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #28
laria
Librocubicularist

I think Vytas' ladies man charm worked the first time because he wasn't trying quite so hard to cultivate it, it just happened more naturally. But of course he figured out that it had worked, so he tried it as a strategy this time, and it just came off as really creepy.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #29
Necromancer2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Having listened to Stephen do a weekly recap podcast about Survivor for several years, and being pretty impressed with his strategy from his first season, I'm very surprised at how clueless he seemed in this first episode. But I'm not sure why you say he now finds himself in the majority and can just sit back and do nothing. His tribe hasn't been to tribal council yet so we don't really know how the alliances on his tribe will shake out.
Did I put him on the wrong tribe?!? I did didn't I??

Someone pass me the crow fast!!

Necromancer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:25 AM   #30
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer2006 View Post
Did I put him on the wrong tribe?!? I did didn't I??

Someone pass me the crow fast!!
Heck it'll take me several episodes to have a clue as to remembering who goes where...

kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote