TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #31
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
I'm pretty sure Pete was at the meeting before the meeting where it was decided Pete would be the one going to California and Don would be getting the Freddy Rumsen treatment.
Yeah that's what I thought. Because Ted would be needed in the NY office and wouldn't be able to go to CA, they said previously that they couldn't have both Ted and Don gone. So will that tension remain between Ted and Peggy? And I don't remember seeing Ted at the partners meeting with Don, or was he there?

One of my favorite lines was when Stan was all mad at Don because he stole the moving to CA idea and he said that he was going back to his desk to eat a sandwich before Don got to it.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #32
trainman
Nice to see you

That "Chevrolet '69" sign had the apostrophe backward. Pete really did them a favor by backing into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
If this were the real world, SC&P would be fuming mad at Don Draper in a few years after seeing how huge a client Hershey would become.
One of my favorite jingles of all time (ran incessantly during Saturday morning cartoons circa 1979-80):

The Great American Chocolate Bar

Old 06-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #33
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Yeah, I was thinking of that very ad during the show.
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #34
cherry ghost

Ted is still going to CA and will oversee Peggy from there
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #35
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
That one incident by itself wouldn't have triggered Don's forced leave of absence.

According to Matthew Weiner, firing their most important client, forcing them into a merger and then waging war on his partner, and the destructive swath that he cut through the agency, killing the public offering and everything else, that cannot go without punishment. The Hershey’s meeting has little do with it.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...son-finale/?hp
Not to mention the times he's MIA like in this (or was it last) episode when the Sheraton guys show up in the office and Don is nowhere to be found. The other partners were constantly covering for him and putting up with his crap, and his occasional (and increasingly rare) genius pitch just wasn't making up for it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
Yeah that's what I thought. Because Ted would be needed in the NY office and wouldn't be able to go to CA, they said previously that they couldn't have both Ted and Don gone. So will that tension remain between Ted and Peggy? And I don't remember seeing Ted at the partners meeting with Don, or was he there?
As Cherry Ghost noted, the partners said in the meeting that Ted was still going to CA, so I have no idea why Pete was saying he was going to CA as well.

Regarding Don taking the kids to see the dilapidated whorehouse: I didn't really get the point of that. Sure, it looks like a run-down house now, but it was a fairly large house and back in the day it was probably pretty nice. So I don't see what he was trying to say with taking them there. Just seeing that house doesn't do anything to give insight into Don's screwed-up childhood. Unless we assume that along with taking them to see the house he also gave them his entire backstory.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #36
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
That link is actually to Sepinwall's interview with Matthew Weiner. Here is the link to his recap:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...both-sides-now
Old 06-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #37
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Not to mention the times he's MIA like in this (or was it last) episode when the Sheraton guys show up in the office and Don is nowhere to be found. The other partners were constantly covering for him and putting up with his crap, and his occasional (and increasingly rare) genius pitch just wasn't making up for it anymore.

As Cherry Ghost noted, the partners said in the meeting that Ted was still going to CA, so I have no idea why Pete was saying he was going to CA as well.

Regarding Don taking the kids to see the dilapidated whorehouse: I didn't really get the point of that. Sure, it looks like a run-down house now, but it was a fairly large house and back in the day it was probably pretty nice. So I don't see what he was trying to say with taking them there. Just seeing that house doesn't do anything to give insight into Don's screwed-up childhood. Unless we assume that along with taking them to see the house he also gave them his entire backstory.
Wiener has mentioned in interviews that he assumes the audience is smart and does not have to see things spelled out. So I would expect the point by Don introducing them to the house is that he will then off camera tell them the rest of the story (well some of it) off camera.

We shall see next year.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #38
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
[This is actually the Weiner interview.]

Interesting that in the interview Weiner said that Joan succeeded with Avon and assumed that we would know that. I'm still not even completely clear what that means - they won the new business and she's the account man? If so, that would be such a pivotal moment for Joan they really short-changed her not showing any of that - the creative pitch, the win, etc.

Quote:
What happened with Joan and Avon?

Matthew Weiner: That succeeded. Speaking of revolutions, Peggy bailed her out of it in the end. A lot of this is about people trying to not repeat their habits based on previous experience. Even though Peggy is higher up than Joan, and is explaining to Joan how it works, Joan knows she's having so much taken away — she just knew that would be the only way to get it, so she got it.

Was there more material in later episodes referring to her getting it that got cut, or were you assuming it would be understood?

Matthew Weiner: I assumed it would be understood, yeah.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #39
nyny523
Oy

I just watched this, and I haven't read any articles or interviews.

I thought it was a fantastic episode.

After all these seasons, we FINALLY met Dick Whitman. That story he told the Hershey's people revealed more about who he was and where he came from than anything we have seen or heard before. The juxtaposition to the pitch he gave just prior to telling the truth explained who he wanted Don Draper to be. I thought it was some of the most brilliant writing we have seen on this show. Five minutes of dialog pretty much summed up who this person was and who he wanted to be in a way we had never seen before.

Of course, in typical Don Draper fashion, it was too little, too late. He destroyed everything he had tried to build. And he knew it - which is why he gave Ted California - I think he knew he he couldn't run away from who he was any more.

There was SO much more to this episode - almost TOO much. I may have to watch it again - so much to digest. And Joni Mitchell in the closing was perfect...
Old 06-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #40
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Since Ted is in creative and Pete is an account man, it makes sense to me now that both would be going to CA. Sort of a miniature SC&P. (I wonder if Pete is going to take his .22 rifle with him and when will the inevitable accident come?)
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #41
TampaThunder

There is only one way for this show to end and that's with Don jumping off a tall building and plummeting to the ground just like in the intro. And it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Without a doubt that character is one of the most self-destructive personalities of all time. Why anybody puts up with all his BS I have no idea. They should have shown him the door last season.
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #42
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
[This is actually the Weiner interview.]

Interesting that in the interview Weiner said that Joan succeeded with Avon and assumed that we would know that. I'm still not even completely clear what that means - they won the new business and she's the account man? If so, that would be such a pivotal moment for Joan they really short-changed her not showing any of that - the creative pitch, the win, etc.
Frankly, I hadn't even thought about Avon again until I read Alan's interview, but thinking about it, it makes sense.

In the episode when that happened, Pete basically had Joan on the ropes until Peggy bailed her out. But Peggy only bought her time. If Joan hadn't been able to close the account, Pete would still be fuming about it, and Joan would not be in the partner's good graces. So I guess Weiner is saying that because Pete forgot about it and Joan still has her position, that things must have worked out for her.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #43
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
I just watched this, and I haven't read any articles or interviews.

I thought it was a fantastic episode.<snip>

There was SO much more to this episode - almost TOO much. I may have to watch it again - so much to digest. And Joni Mitchell in the closing was perfect...
Agree. Fantastic episode. Six years and 78 episodes brought to a head, in one incredible scene. Can't wait to see how next year ends it.

Joni Mitchell wrote the song, Judy Collins sang it. Sadly, I'm old enough to remember when it was a hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaThunder View Post
There is only one way for this show to end and that's with Don jumping off a tall building and plummeting to the ground just like in the intro.
Spoiler:
Matthew Weiner has said, in more than one interview, that it will not end with anyone jumping out a window like the credits.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #44
cherry ghost

Quote:
There is only one way for this show to end and that's with Don jumping off a tall building and plummeting to the ground just like in the intro. And it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Without a doubt that character is one of the most self-destructive personalities of all time. Why anybody puts up with all his BS I have no idea. They should have shown him the door last season.

Where Don Draper ends, D.B. Cooper begins
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #45
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
There is only one way for this show to end and that's with Don jumping off a tall building and plummeting to the ground just like in the intro...
Thunder stolen!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #46
gamndbndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
If this were the real world, SC&P would be fuming mad at Don Draper in a few years after seeing how huge a client Hershey would become.
Except Hershey infamously did not enter the television advertising arena until the 1970's. It would have been a long haul for SC&P to maintain the account.
gamndbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #47
sharkster

Yeah, but in the credits after the guy falls out the window you see him sitting in the chair with a drink and a cigarette. I would interpret the jumping out of the window as having some sort of figurative meaning.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #48
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamndbndr View Post
Except Hershey infamously did not enter the television advertising arena until the 1970's.
1970. And this episode is November 1968. Not implausible that one of the other firms they were meeting ended up being "the one".
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #49
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
That being said, I also didn't buy the meltdown/confessional or the get drunk, hit a preacher and wind up in jail scenario either.

Interesting bit with him then NOT drinking, getting the shakes and Ted seeing it and telling him to take a shot before the meeting.
I thought that scene played out like it would in a Sorkin show (without the cadence). Sorkin always has those preachy speeches by his main characters. That's what I felt like. While it didn't seem so realistic that Don would have that meltdown, I do feel that the whole season was leading to something like that. Between Megan's independence, to his on and off again affair, to the issues with his kids, the stress with the partnership, and his drinking, they were certainly leading to Don having a meltdown. I just didn't expect that to be it. Then again, that did seem kind of "Don".

I am thinking, that by the end of next season, Bob is going to try and "play" all the key members of the firm. He's already played Pete, both with his mother and with the job, He's got Roger's secret, and he's trying to get in with Roger's relationship with Joan. Didn't he try and do something nice with Ted too? Maybe they are setting it up for Don to come in and save the day, but more likely, it's going to lead to something bad for the firm and Don.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #50
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I, too, missed how Pete was ending up going to CA.

Ted's quite the doosh - sees Peggy looking mega-hot, pursues and screws her, gives her promises, then immediately reneges. Yikes, what a dick.

I wonder why Don was compelled to give the whorehouse story to the meeting with the Hershey folks. I mean, it rounded out well but I guess it was just a whole piece of his feeling vulnerable.

Did they recognize alcoholism at that time? The shaking hand thing was no surprise. I'm sure WE all know he's an alcoholic, but during that time (I was still a kid- just turned 14 that Nov) I don't recall if it was something that was recognized.

Not surprising that Sally would go bad. I also think I'm tired of the whole Megan thing. Don always figures out too late that he loves the girl. Poor Don. I know, he's a dick too but you can see so clearly, and IMO understand, why.
It was interesting that they chose Hershey for the meltdown (no pun intended). If I recall what I know about Milton Hershey, he was a VERY religious man, and he tried to build Hershey, PA into a company town in his own image, which was pretty much the antithesis of how Don grew up.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #51
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Wiener has mentioned in interviews that he assumes the audience is smart and does not have to see things spelled out. So I would expect the point by Don introducing them to the house is that he will then off camera tell them the rest of the story (well some of it) off camera.

We shall see next year.
My first thought was, that he took them to show them how privileged they were and how his life sucked and they should not fall into what he went through. It's especially true of Sally, who is going through life as a whiny spoiled brat who expects everything handed to her on a silver platter. But she is also realizing how screwed up everything is around her as she is getting older. So he wants to show her especially that life is not all she thinks it is, and also to explain why her dad is the person he is.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #52
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I am thinking, that by the end of next season, Bob is going to try and "play" all the key members of the firm. He's already played Pete, both with his mother and with the job, He's got Roger's secret, and he's trying to get in with Roger's relationship with Joan. Didn't he try and do something nice with Ted too? Maybe they are setting it up for Don to come in and save the day, but more likely, it's going to lead to something bad for the firm and Don.

He does? Remind when he found that out?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #53
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
I think it was implied there might have been a conversation by Roger's attention to the child. I am on the fence on this one.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #54
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I think it was implied there might have been a conversation by Roger's attention to the child. I am on the fence on this one.
I think it would be fairly clear to Bob that Kevin is Roger's son based on the interaction between Joan and Roger, the fact that Roger was so protective of Joan, and probably because Joan told him.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #55
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I think it would be fairly clear to Bob that Kevin is Roger's son based on the interaction between Joan and Roger, the fact that Roger was so protective of Joan, and probably because Joan told him.
Alright, in the MM world, I can see where that can now be assumed (especially since now I read that we were suppose to know the Avon deal was a success).

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something that was more obvious that I missed.

Would I be wrong to assume now that if all three of them (Roger, Bob and Joan) know that each other knows, that there really isn't much powere that Bob would have over Roger? Would his life really be that impacted if everyone knew that Kevin was his kid? It might for Joan, but not for him.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #56
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Alright, in the MM world, I can see where that can now be assumed (especially since now I read that we were suppose to know the Avon deal was a success).

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something that was more obvious that I missed.

Would I be wrong to assume now that if all three of them (Roger, Bob and Joan) know that each other knows, that there really isn't much powere that Bob would have over Roger? Would his life really be that impacted if everyone knew that Kevin was his kid? It might for Joan, but not for him.
I think in the early years, Roger and Joan weren't that discreet, so it must have been known/office gossip they were having coitus. (Yes I have been watching a lot of TBBT lately). It's not well known that Kevin is Roger's. In MM Assumptionland, I guess people would have thought her ex was the father. Joan would be even more undermined at work if it was known, I'd think. That's why I suspect the Bob knowing bit is a portent for next season.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #57
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
I think in the early years, Roger and Joan weren't that discreet, so it must have been known/office gossip they were having coitus. (Yes I have been watching a lot of TBBT lately). It's not well known that Kevin is Roger's. In MM Assumptionland, I guess people would have thought her ex was the father. Joan would be even more undermined at work if it was known, I'd think. That's why I suspect the Bob knowing bit is a portent for next season.
Bob seems to be weaziling in on a lot of office secrets. There has to be more to the Bob story than we know already. Maybe it's just him being a junior Don Draper, but I think there really is something sinister about him, and I'd be surprised if it doesn't come out next season. I'd actually kind of be disappointed if it doesn't.

Maybe the series ends with Bob narrating the story to his kids and they title the episode "How I took over the firm"
Old 06-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #58
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post

After all these seasons, we FINALLY met Dick Whitman. That story he told the Hershey's people revealed more about who he was and where he came from than anything we have seen or heard before. The juxtaposition to the pitch he gave just prior to telling the truth explained who he wanted Don Draper to be. I thought it was some of the most brilliant writing we have seen on this show. Five minutes of dialog pretty much summed up who this person was and who he wanted to be in a way we had never seen before.
i'm surprised how many people are blowing off this scene. Yours is the closest analysis/opinion to mine that i find compared to anybody else who posted about it.

Hershey chocolate meant a LOT to Don. You could see it from the first time the others mentioned that Hershey was asking for pitches - Don lit up and said "i like Hersheys!". And we found out why - because it's the only time he ever felt like a normal kid, which was the only thing he wanted as a kid. Hershey's chocolate was IT for him.

and sitting there in the conference room, after giving out his BS childhood story, he looks down at his shaking hand, remembering how much his life has spiraled out of control, and how he's losing all the "normal" he has, he felt obligated to confess, to tell Hershey's just what they meant to him. He was tired of the lies, of the hiding. He finally let out some truth - this wasn't him pretending, he finally let people know who he truly is and it was a load off.

I thought that was the most powerful scene in the episode, heck in the season.
milo99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #59
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
i'm surprised how many people are blowing off this scene. Yours is the closest analysis/opinion to mine that i find compared to anybody else who posted about it.

Hershey chocolate meant a LOT to Don. You could see it from the first time the others mentioned that Hershey was asking for pitches - Don lit up and said "i like Hersheys!". And we found out why - because it's the only time he ever felt like a normal kid, which was the only thing he wanted as a kid. Hershey's chocolate was IT for him.

and sitting there in the conference room, after giving out his BS childhood story, he looks down at his shaking hand, remembering how much his life has spiraled out of control, and how he's losing all the "normal" he has, he felt obligated to confess, to tell Hershey's just what they meant to him. He was tired of the lies, of the hiding. He finally let out some truth - this wasn't him pretending, he finally let people know who he truly is and it was a load off.

I thought that was the most powerful scene in the episode, heck in the season.
The problem I had with it was while it was going on, I had no idea if he was really telling the truth or not (since he is such a prolific liar).

I still don't know how much of what he said was really what happened, and how much of it has been changed to fit the narrative he wants to believe about himself.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #60
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Thunder stolen!
That thunder was stolen years ago, as people have been talking about the opening credits being foreshadowing of don's ending since the first season.