TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
nrnoble

ESPN Channels removed: "Not our problem"

For reasons nobody can explain, channels keep getting removed, then added back. Example, Recently ESPN1 and ESPN2 channels were removed. I called Tivo and they tell me (more-or-less), "Not our problem, call your cable company". I call comcast, they check their Comcast DVRs and tell me "Not our problem, our comcast DVRs have the correct lineup, contact Tivo.".... About 3-4 days later, ESPN channels are added back.

This happens a few times a month; various different channels get removed, then get added back. Most of the time the channels that go missing are channels I don't watch, so I don't spend the time\effort to make (futile) phone calls. I watch ESPN, so I wasn't happy that it disappeared from the TiVo's channel lineup (on all 3 Tivos) for a few days.

Anyone have any understanding why Tivo's Channel lineup is removing channels, then adding them back so fequently. And to be clear, there is a TiVo message each time the channels are being removed, and then added back.
Tivo user since 1999.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Sounds like bad Cablecard mapping at the headend, or a signal issue.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

Are they being removed from the lineup (with lineup change messages) or unable to be tuned when going to that channel?

If it's the former, that falls into the hand of Tivo and Tribune Media who supplies the lineup.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
nrnoble

a
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Are they being removed from the lineup (with lineup change messages) or unable to be tuned when going to that channel?

If it's the former, that falls into the hand of Tivo and Tribune Media who supplies the lineup.
Yes, the channels are being removed and then added back with lineup change messages. One day I got a Tivo message saying ESPN1 and ESPN2 were being removed. Then a few days later I got another message they were added back.

Often when this happens, its a trivial change like XXX to XXXHD. And because they aren't channels I watch, I don't bother to complain when they go missing for several days before being added back.

Just annoying\frustrating when both TiVo support and Comcast support tell me "Not our problem, you need to call someone else....". Both more-or-less say "We don't create the channel lineup data, so we have no way to fix it"... and there is nothing further they can do when the channel lineup data is wrong.
Tivo user since 1999.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
WhiskeyTango

Those lineup change requests originate from the cable company. They send the message of change to Tivo, who passes it along to you.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
celtic pride

I've noticed that happening quite a bit on verizon fios, I get messages saying channel has been deleted but then the same channels are added back.I never actually saw the channel dissapear though. I dont know what could cause this other than tribune guide service maybe getting wrong information from the cable tv provider? why tell me a channel has been deleted from my tv service,Then in the same message tell me that the same channel has been added? It makes no sense!
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
tomhorsley

I've always gotten the impression that the cable company needs to tell their cable boxes slightly different stuff than they tell cable cards, and they always forget about cable cards till someone reminds them :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I've always gotten the impression that the cable company needs to tell their cable boxes slightly different stuff than they tell cable cards, and they always forget about cable cards till someone reminds them :-).
Cable company set top boxes use cable cards
Old 06-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Those lineup change requests originate from the cable company. They send the message of change to Tivo, who passes it along to you.
Well, AFAIK, technically, they send it to tribune media services, which sends it to Tivo, which sends it to you.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
nrnoble

I went back and checked the Tivo messages. ESPN1 and ESPN2 were removed on Jun 15th. Added back on Jun 25th. 10 day gap. Does it really take them that long to correct lineup problems? If so, then they have a pretty bad bureaucracy.

And with a Tivo its not possible to manual add\force it to any channel that is not part of the lineup, even if such channel does exist.
Tivo user since 1999.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #11
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Cable company set top boxes use cable cards
I know, but they obviously need to treat them differently in some way. I know when talking to comcast and trying to get them to poke my TiVo with a stick to see if it gets better, they need to know it is a TiVo to do that poking (and I always have to tell them as well - you'd think my account info would already know that).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Well, AFAIK, technically, they send it to tribune media services, which sends it to Tivo, which sends it to you.

WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I know, but they obviously need to treat them differently in some way. I know when talking to comcast and trying to get them to poke my TiVo with a stick to see if it gets better, they need to know it is a TiVo to do that poking (and I always have to tell them as well - you'd think my account info would already know that).
That has nothing to do with the original poster's issue. The issue is Tribune is removing and adding back channels that have never been moved/removed. Tribune makes channel lineup changes at the request of cable company representatives. This is not a technical issue.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
nrnoble

What is puzzling is that this removing\adding has been going on for at least two years now, at least 1-2 times a months, channels get removed, and then added back. Some times in the same Tivo message the channel gets removed, then added back. Other times, as in my example, the channels get removed, then added back a few days later.
Tivo user since 1999.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
rahnbo

Nothing new to add other than share in your frustration. Brighthouse is constantly doing this name change game in my region and its very annoying. I'd say there are at least 3 channels renamed per week. What's really irritating is most of the changes seems to be their on demand stuff or channels that are not HD and I have to keep going in to the channel list and unchecking them. Or sometimes they rename an SD channel for which there is a comparable HD channel and if you have an SP Tivo may record the SD version of a show if you haven't removed that channel (for the Nth time). At one point perhaps about 2 years ago I also lost one of the ESPN's and it took them some time to fix it with multiple calls to Tivo and Brighthouse along with reporting the lineup problem via the official tivo.com web page. It also seems like the ESPN channels continue to keep getting renamed like they can't make up their minds what they want to call them. I wish they'd just leave the channel names alone.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote