TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
MPSAN

TWA Flight 800

There has been a lot said lately about TWA Flight 800. It is a Movie or Documentary starting on July 17th. However, so far, I have only seen that it will be on EPIX. We do not get that here on Frontier FIOS TV, but was wondering if anyone has seen that it will be shown on any other channel. Not having EPIX do they usually make their stuff available?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
hummingbird_206

Don't get EPIX through Comcast. It sounds like an interesting documentary. Hopefully it will be available on DVD or streaming from somewhere eventually.
hummingbird_206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Don't get EPIX through Comcast. It sounds like an interesting documentary. Hopefully it will be available on DVD or streaming from somewhere eventually.
Yes, in my case Verizon FIOS had that channel but when we were moved to Frontier they dropped it. Let's hope for streaming wherever we can find it!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
WhiskeyTango

Be sure to have your tin foil hat ready when you sit down to watch.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
cannonz

Jesse Ventura shot it down.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
That's not what happened. While everyone in coach was being served TWA coffee, the pilot was being served TWA Tea.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
philw1776

Along this 800 topic the well-researched excellent Nelson Demille novel "Nightfall"

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Fall-Nel...nelson+demille

The ending is wicked pissah
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Very much so.

I remember watching the 9/11 'documentary' Loose Change. Found out it had been re-released several times as points it raised were debunked.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
Very much so.

I remember watching the 9/11 'documentary' Loose Change. Found out it had been re-released several times as points it raised were debunked.
So, have you guys actually read anything about the new documentary, or are you basing your opinions on generalities? Interesting piece: http://www.flyingmag.com/blogs/fly-w...00-documentary

A snippet: "Now we learn that former NTSB and TWA investigators who weren’t allowed to provide dissenting opinions when the original accident report was released are speaking out."

Doesn't sound like your normal conspiracy theorists to me. I'll watch if I can get the program. It does seem like it would be hard to cover up a story of this magnitude, but IMHO you never know. Worth spending a little of my time on, again IMHO. YMMV.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
hummingbird_206

I saw a short snippet from one of the morning shows. Looks like they have some 'whistle blowers' in the documentary coming out saying there were unauthorized/undocumented FBI people in with the wreckage when they weren't supposed to be there.

I don't know that we'll ever know for sure what's true and what isn't. But I think it looks like an interesting show and I'd like to watch the whole thing.
hummingbird_206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I saw a snippet on the 'War and Peace Report' that is on PBS. It all sounded plausible except when the 'scientific expert' kept on saying the radar reports showed a object going through the plane and coming out the other side. I didn't realize that radar showed that kind of detail.

But then again, you really had to think maybe there was some plausibility that the Navy shot the plane down after they kept bringing forward witnesses and people involved in the incident that said there was a coverup/subterfuge. The US Navy did shoot down a Iranian airliner over the gulf that was on a scheduled flight, so them shooting down a airliner isn't totally unbelievable.

The amount of power that a ship captain is kinda scary, and you know what they say, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

And high level Navy officers just keep getting canned, so it appears that there is a ingrained organizational problem.

Course, this is the same channel that said 911 World Trade Center buildings collapse couldn't have been caused by airplanes, so their credibility is certainly questionable.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
But then again, you really had to think maybe there was some plausibility that the Navy shot the plane down after they kept bringing forward witnesses and people involved in the incident that said there was a coverup/subterfuge. The US Navy did shoot down a Iranian airliner over the gulf that was on a scheduled flight, so them shooting down a airliner isn't totally unbelievable.
Or maybe Iran repaid the favor.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
Jayjoans

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
That's not what happened. While everyone in coach was being served TWA coffee, the pilot was being served TWA Tea.

Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
I remember that from 50 Years ago! Yes, I am that old...I even remember acoustic modems (couplers).
Old 06-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
I saw a short snippet from one of the morning shows. Looks like they have some 'whistle blowers' in the documentary coming out saying there were unauthorized/undocumented FBI people in with the wreckage when they weren't supposed to be there.
The NTSB was investigating this as an accident. The FBI was investigating it as a criminal act at the same time. The NTSB gets priority over all other investigators so the FBI being there when they weren't supposed to, could simply be a jurisdictional issue, not some nefarious coverup. BTW, the guy making these claims also said the feds were using psychics.

The majority, if not all, of the 'evidence' they have, they have been claiming since the guy behind the film started the Flight 800 Independent Researchers Organization back in 1999.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #16
PotentiallyCoherent

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I saw a snippet on the 'War and Peace Report' that is on PBS. It all sounded plausible except when the 'scientific expert' kept on saying the radar reports showed a object going through the plane and coming out the other side. I didn't realize that radar showed that kind of detail.
I'm pretty sure that an object could be seen approaching, and debris leaving on the same trajectory.
PotentiallyCoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:10 AM   #17
Ereth

There's no new evidence. There's just conspiracy nuts taking existing evidence and squinting real hard trying to make it say something els.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #18
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
So, have you guys actually read anything about the new documentary, or are you basing your opinions on generalities? Interesting piece: http://www.flyingmag.com/blogs/fly-w...00-documentary

A snippet: "Now we learn that former NTSB and TWA investigators who weren’t allowed to provide dissenting opinions when the original accident report was released are speaking out."

Doesn't sound like your normal conspiracy theorists to me. I'll watch if I can get the program. It does seem like it would be hard to cover up a story of this magnitude, but IMHO you never know. Worth spending a little of my time on, again IMHO. YMMV.
I have read a few articles, I will probably watch the show. So why are people coming up 17 years later and saying these things? Salinger said he had proof, why would a patriot like him never release the details?

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
I have read a few articles, I will probably watch the show. So why are people coming up 17 years later and saying these things? Salinger said he had proof, why would a patriot like him never release the details?
Because the "proof" he had was a phony document.

Quote:
The theories gained traction and credibility when former JFK press secretary Pierre Salinger claimed he saw a document (which turned out to be phony) from a French intelligence official implicating the Navy.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #20
sieglinde

My coworkers when I worked at Point Mugu for the Navy thought that the plane was accidentally shot down by an errant missile with an inert warhead during a Navy exercise. Not an evil terrorist attack but a cover up
Old 06-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #21
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
There's no new evidence. There's just conspiracy nuts taking existing evidence and squinting real hard trying to make it say something els.
My impression is that it's not about new evidence, it's about suppressed evidence. Coverups DO happen. No conspiracy nuts required.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #22
philw1776

I'm a science guy, not a conspiracy theory advocate. This is based on now retired and safe from repercussion participants' ignored findings. That said I think there are sincere differences in every endeavor and that the original findings are most likely correct. I hope to watch and will be open.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #23
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
My impression is that it's not about new evidence, it's about suppressed evidence. Coverups DO happen. No conspiracy nuts required.
Yeah. The main "whistleblowers" complaint was that the FBI were jerks. Not that there was any suppressed evidence, but that he was treated poorly by the FBI who acted like they were in charge.

Which is pretty standard FBI.

The witness who say they "saw a missile" also say they heard a loud noise and that's what made them look up. Then they saw a "missile". Well, the loud noise they heard was the explosion. Unless we posit a situation where a missile was inbound to destroy it and had the incredible timing to arrive just a few seconds after the wing tank exploded, then the timeline doesn't work. The explosion preceded the line of fire that they saw.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #24
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

I saw a piece on CNN last week. The guys coming forward 17 years later seemed like cranks to me. I found the FBI guy (Kalstrom sp.) far more credible. It seems like a cynical attempt at a money grab by people getting on in life.

And as with all cover up allegations, it's too damn hard to keep the lid on these things. No sold.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #25
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
The witness who say they "saw a missile" also say they heard a loud noise and that's what made them look up. Then they saw a "missile". Well, the loud noise they heard was the explosion. Unless we posit a situation where a missile was inbound to destroy it and had the incredible timing to arrive just a few seconds after the wing tank exploded, then the timeline doesn't work. The explosion preceded the line of fire that they saw.
And we all know that sound travels slower than light.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #26
waynomo
My One Time

I thought the evidence based on the reconstruction of the plane was pretty conclusive that the explosion can from inside the plane. I remember seeing g pictures of this when the original report was released.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote