TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
opieant

TiVo HD temperature sensor location

Searching didn't seem to turn up this info, so I'm wondering if anybody knows where the temperature sensor is located in a TiVo HD unit.

When I woke up 6/21 the TiVo was endlessly rebooting. The temperature in the room was a few degrees higher than usual, so I lowered the room temperature and the TiVo agreed to start working again. It continued to work fine all day and night. The room temperature was allowed to rise a few degrees again overnight, and this morning the TiVo was failing again. Lowering the room temperature just a few degrees again got it out of its rebooting loop.

The TiVo is reporting an internal temperature 6-8 C higher than usual. Normally the temperature is 36-38 C, but now it's 44-45 C once it warms up. It seems to start rebooting once it goes over 46 C.

Cleaning out what little dust was inside made no difference. I already clean it at least twice a year with an ESD-safe vacuum. I also already had two extra fans in the unit (a small one on the heatsink on the motherboard, and a second 60mm fan in the front of the power supply since there are vent/intake holes there). The hard drive isn't the problem, it has been checked. There are no obviously bad capacitors on the power supply.

While I suspect the power supply is probably responsible for this situation, I am very suspicious of the increase in the detected internal temperature and would like to investigate it further. There's no way the air inside of the case should be 6-8 C higher than usual, so I'm guessing the sensor is failing, or something is running much hotter than usual, or maybe the heatsink on the motherboard isn't making good thermal contact anymore. If something specific is getting too hot, it's probably near the sensor since everything inside that I consider safe to touch while the TiVo is running feels normal.

Any help would be appreciated before I seriously consider tracking down a replacement power supply.
opieant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Small flaw in your logic, you wouldn't be experiencing more reboots if the sensor only was misreading.

I'd suspect a weak component and a heat problem as you mentioned with good odds on it being the power supply or hard drive. Can you change the AAPM profile on the drive to decrease performance and heat?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
HerronScott

36-38C seems pretty low to me. My original S3 OLED's are running at 45C and 48C sitting on an open shelf on my TV stand. Do the HD's run cooler normally?

Scott
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
WhiskeyTango

My THD is running at 44C (Normal) so I don't think temp is an issue here.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
opieant

Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I'd suspect a weak component and a heat problem as you mentioned with good odds on it being the power supply or hard drive. Can you change the AAPM profile on the drive to decrease performance and heat?
Without changing anything yet, I can tell you that the drive is just barely warm to the touch when running. It runs much, much cooler than any of the drives in my PCs. Also, with the cover on the TiVo, the only places on it that feel warm during operation are very slightly above the heatsink on the motherboard, and above the back and middle of the power supply.

HerronScott: The room the TiVo is in is normally about 82-84 F, so it had the two extra fans installed that I mentioned to provide better cooling and (hopefully) extend the hardware's life. I doubt most TiVo HDs normally run around 36-38 C under similar conditions, but mine has worked like that for years.

WhiskeyTango: The sensor, wherever it is, may primarily be meant to detect the temperature of one component rather than the general temperature in the case depending on where it's located. Also, while the detected/displayed temperature is definitely a concern if it reaches levels the TiVo software considers to be a problem (except when it's a sensor malfunction), it doesn't mean smaller temperature changes aren't problems. In my situation, something is definitely causing the hardware to run quite a bit warmer than usual, and I am very consistently experiencing failures only when the temperature goes above a certain point.

Until I get this resolved, I'm running the TiVo with the cover removed. This allows it to run at about 39-40 C, so hopefully it stays stable for a while.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
HerronScott

I'd be concerned that either the hard drive or power supply is about to fail and try to identify the root cause and fix it while you can do so pre-emptively.

Scott
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
opieant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I'd be concerned that either the hard drive or power supply is about to fail and try to identify the root cause and fix it while you can do so pre-emptively.
I've started shopping around for a power supply. I'll most likely end up getting a used TiVo HD to harvest a power supply from since the places I've found selling power supplies alone are charging too much. Scans of the hard drive indicate that it's doing fine, and it's not running hot or making any noises.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by opieant View Post
I've started shopping around for a power supply. I'll most likely end up getting a used TiVo HD to harvest a power supply from since the places I've found selling power supplies alone are charging too much. Scans of the hard drive indicate that it's doing fine, and it's not running hot or making any noises.
I STRONGLY recommend a capacitor replacement approach to your existing power supply, a used/NOS existing P/S will still have old caps in it.

Capacitor replacement isn't hard or expensive, and it's most likely if it's not in your skillset you can find a geeky friend or family member that's done things in this area.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
opieant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I STRONGLY recommend a capacitor replacement approach to your existing power supply, a used/NOS existing P/S will still have old caps in it.

Capacitor replacement isn't hard or expensive, and it's most likely if it's not in your skillset you can find a geeky friend or family member that's done things in this area.
I could certainly replace the capacitors, and may very well do that once I have another working power supply running the TiVo. I would prefer to have a second power supply here in case there are any issues such as the real problem originating from something other than the capacitors. I've had to replace things like diodes, voltage regulators, and capacitors on power supplies in the past. I just usually can't find the source of problem myself unless there's physical damage.