TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Some recordings simply will not play/stream

This is not a fluke. Several times now I have tried to stream/play a video to my Android Linux Nexus 10 tablet running the TiVo app from my Tivo Roamo Pro and it just shows the spinning circle for a minute, then asks if I want to delete the program. But I can turn around and play some other recording with no problem at all. Go back to the problem one and it will not stream. I can restart the app, restart the tablet, nothing will make it play that recording. I go to the TV and select it and it plays that "problem" video just fine.

I can't find anything in common with those that will not play. It is not a certain channel or type of video. It is not that I did or didn't start watching it before somewhere. Certainly someone else has encountered this too.

As an aside, it will also not even allow the user to ATTEMPT to stream/play something that was uploaded to the TiVo via PyTiVo.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
LI-SVT

I am having problems playing lots of videos on an Android tablet also.
LI-SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
tatergator1

Is it a particular set of channels, or can you watch one video from Channel X, but not another video from Channel X?

Since you mention issues with pyTivo, I'm leaning towards being an H.264 issue. Depending on pyTivo setup, it can be configured to push compatible H.264 content directly to the Tivo without trans-coding to Mpeg2. Most cable is encoded using Mpeg2 compression, but some providers are moving towards encoding with H.264 which offers bandwidth saving up to 50% over Mpeg2. The Tivo itself will handle H.264 just fine, but the Stream will choke on that content. A few months ago, we got some intel from Tivo that H.264 support was coming to the Stream software in 2015.

Who's your cable provider? I know FiOS and Cox use h.264 for some stuff; not sure about other providers.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
LI-SVT

All of my pyTiVo transfers originated on a TiVo of one model or another, no h.264 files for me.

My Android tablet won't play anything that was not recorded on my Premier.

If I record something on my Series2 and transfer it to the Premier the Android app won't play it. The ios app will play these recordings.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
tatergator1

Perhaps it's related to some sort of missing or corrupted metadata for the video files. pyTivo transfers and Series 2 transfers always lose some of the original Tivo metadata when you use MRV to transfer videos between Tivos.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
jrtroo
User

Do these same files/shows play on an android phone?

In asking a rep yesterday about my Xoom not working with the app, it appeared that they are spending some time tweaking the app for tablets due to some compatibility issues. So, I'm wondering if this is a program file issue or the app not fully working with tablets.

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
This is not a fluke. Several times now I have tried to stream/play a video to my Android Linux Nexus 10 tablet running the TiVo app from my Tivo Roamo Pro and it just shows the spinning circle for a minute, then asks if I want to delete the program. But I can turn around and play some other recording with no problem at all. Go back to the problem one and it will not stream. I can restart the app, restart the tablet, nothing will make it play that recording. I go to the TV and select it and it plays that "problem" video just fine.

I can't find anything in common with those that will not play. It is not a certain channel or type of video. It is not that I did or didn't start watching it before somewhere. Certainly someone else has encountered this too.

As an aside, it will also not even allow the user to ATTEMPT to stream/play something that was uploaded to the TiVo via PyTiVo.
Could be something with the recording. Can you transfer the show to a PC? Stream it to another TiVo or Mini? Perhaps the recording is using an odd audio codec (we have a couple that use MP2 instead of AC3) or maybe it has a weird structure like long GOPs or some sort of corrupt header. I'm not sure how robust the Stream transcoder is.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
Megamind
Dazed & Confused

I believe this is similar to or the same as http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=521567

In my experience, programs that were not originally recorded on the TiVo from which the streaming occurs will not play in the Android App. In my case, this occurred with programs that were transferred directly (not via PyTiVo) from my XL4.

Humax Series 2 (Sold)
Humax Series 2 (Retired)
Premiere XL4 (Transferred)

Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
TiVo Desktop
TiVo Android App
CableCo: Wave Broadband
Megamind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #9
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I suspect some of this is related to the copy protection...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...php?p=10031622

When moving content via PyTiVo - a Push will will apply a copy once CCI byte and a Pull will come to the TiVo clean. Anything with the CCI Byte set will not stream...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
LI-SVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Do these same files/shows play on an android phone?

In asking a rep yesterday about my Xoom not working with the app, it appeared that they are spending some time tweaking the app for tablets due to some compatibility issues. So, I'm wondering if this is a program file issue or the app not fully working with tablets.

Thanks!
If you are asking me, I don't know. My Android phone is not compatible.

All programs will play on my iPhone 4s and 3gs.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Could be something with the recording. Can you transfer the show to a PC? Stream it to another TiVo or Mini? Perhaps the recording is using an odd audio codec (we have a couple that use MP2 instead of AC3) or maybe it has a weird structure like long GOPs or some sort of corrupt header. I'm not sure how robust the Stream transcoder is.
I don't have anything else to try. The recordings that won't play from PyTiVo on the Android app are all H264 with AC3, but that shouldn't matter, since they play just fine on the TiVo+TV (because they have already been transcoded to something the TiVo likes).

Anything I can play on the TiVo+TV should stream to the Android tablet. If not, something is strange. It looks to me like if there is no meta data (mine has none) then TiVo's servers simply refuse to allow you to play it.

My bigger issue are the recordings the TiVo itself made from cable that it can't seem to stream... I have run across three so far, and I see no pattern.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:35 AM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

The stream can not play H.264 files at all, even when they are recorded from H.264 cable channels. There is one user on here who lives in an area serviced by a small provider who uses all H.264 and he's been complaining about the for years.

TiVo recently said they are working on adding H.264 support for Comcast, who's doing an H.264 test in Georgia, but it wont be ready until sometime next year.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #13
LI-SVT

This is still broken for me. I just got a Galaxy S5 and can only stream recordings that originate from my Premier. Anything that is transferred via MRV will not stream. This is true for in and out of home streaming.