TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
rnwks2008

Stuck on Welcome, Powering Up Screen...

I have a Tivo Series 3 HD DVR (TCD648250) that I'm having some trouble with. The other day, the time on the front of the Tivo froze and it wouldn't respond. Upon reboot, it started sticking on the "Welcome, powering up" page. A couple of times, it would progress to the "Almost there" page, but not very often. All 4 of the lights remain lit on the Tivo most of the time (though a few times they will all turn off). Once or twice (out of probably 20 attempts), it has gotten to the Tivo Central page, where it will not respond. However, probably 90% of the time I've rebooted it, it ends up staying on the first powering up screen.

From what I read, it's likely either the HD or the power supply. I inspected my power supply and 3 of the capacitors were noticeably bulging, though none of them were leaking. I replaced all 3 bulging capacitors but the problem persists. I also removed the HD to run some tests on my PC. The SMART test showed a "caution" result with allocated sectors marked as yellow, but I wasn't sure if this would cause the issues I'm having. Do you guys think I have a power supply issue, hard drive issue, both, or something else? Really wanting to get this fixed because it is a lifetime unit. Thanks in advance for your help!

rnwks2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
HerronScott

Have you measured your voltages after the capacitor replacement? Note that a capacitor can also be bad without exhibiting any external signs. This is the list of capacitors that I replaced when mine failed (and I later replaced the same ones on our second S3 OLED which had several bulging but hadn't failed yet).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...93#post9131293

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

You replaced 3 capacitors that we visibly bulging, I'd suggest replacing the rest in the standard list of bad caps and then retesting.
It's also very common for a bad power supply to over time cause HDD issues and if possible I'd suggest a freshly imaged different HDD just for testing.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
worachj

S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology)

If there’s an S.M.A.R.T. error, your hard drive is telling you that you should assume that the hard drive is in the process of failing. I had a 648 with the same symptoms as yours and a new hard drive fixed it for me.

I would replace the hard drive, or run the manufacturing diagonals test on the drive to make sure.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnwks2008 View Post
From what I read, it's likely either the HD or the power supply....
There's no law that says it can't be both, especially in a unit that old with that much mileage on it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:05 PM   #6
fluffie

Bad Power Supply?

My TivoHD (TCD652160) started acting up (pixelating, freezing up) a week or so ago, and I decided to reboot it after which it got stuck on the Welcome powering up screen.

I upgraded the hard drive years ago and so thought it must have failed. But after reading these various threads am thinking the power supply is bad - attached is a photo, can anyone confirm if this looks like the "bad capacitor" issue?

I haven't been able to find any photos in the threads showing the problem.

Just seems weird to me (not being an electronics expert) that it would be powered up and mostly working ok and then not after rebooting. Seemed more likely that it was the hard drive. But I guess it could and most likely now is both.

Thank you for looking!

Linda

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2639.jpg (46.2 KB, 25 views)
fluffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #7
Random User 7
Incognito

The brown topped cap looks like it is bulging up but can't really tell. How does it feel?

Random User 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random User 7 View Post
The brown topped cap looks like it is bulging up but can't really tell. How does it feel?
The brown top cap is most definitely domed, as is the one to the right of it.
The recommendation is to replace all the usual suspect caps, NOT just the domed ones.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:33 PM   #9
fluffie

Thanks, I would not attempt repair/soldering. But I guess I need to order a new power supply. Yes I would say the one that has brown leaky stuff is bulging.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:24 AM   #10
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffie View Post
Thanks, I would not attempt repair/soldering. But I guess I need to order a new power supply. Yes I would say the one that has brown leaky stuff is bulging.
The majority of "new" power supplies are "new old stock" and will still have 10 year old capacitors in them, there are ebay sellers that offer them with the capacitors already replaced, those would be worth considering. I'd also suggest supporting the local geek in the family/friends circle, there's usually at least one with soldering experience

Old 09-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #11
fluffie

Yes, my brother in law would be able to do it, alas he is in CT and I am in Boston and I have no TV (no Red Sox!) until I get this back in working order so I need to act fast. I ordered the replacement from weaKnees, and hope it lasts me some time. Next time this happens and it seems there will be a next time, I will be prepared! Thank you again for your help.

Linda (fluffie)

Old 09-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #12
sparkyb

I'm not sure whether I should be piggy-backing on this thread or starting my own thread, but I think my situation is similar. I have a Series3 OLED (648). Starting 2 days ago, it has been freezing and rebooting. I first found it stuck on the Powering Up screen. When I power cycled it did boot up. I was able to use it for a while but it did feel a bit slow when browsing the Now Playing list or faster fowarding or rewinding. Eventually the audio started to cut out and the video got jerky and it stopped responding to remote commands. Eventually it rebooted. A number of other times I've found it stuck on the Powering Up screen, playing live tv just fine but not responding to remote buttons (even though the orange LED still blinks when I press remote buttons), or frozen with no video.

Seems more likely a hard drive problem than power, but it certainly is old hardware so it could be either or both. However, I'm suspicious of the timing relative to this Rovi guide data switch. I do think I am getting the new guide data because a news show I record daily all of a sudden started recording duplicates. My System Info says I have software version 11.0n.H1-01-2-648. I don't know if it only recently updated because I never really looked at what it was before, but I don't remember ever seeing a notice or message about a system update (but I do tend to delete messages without really reading them because it's usually just channel lineup changes).

I just repeated guided setup, and so far it's been ok, but I don't have a lot of confidence this will fix it long-term. If it does start to go bad again, what do people recommend? I'm probably capable of swapping hard drives or capacitors if that's what it takes, but I'm not sure whether it is worth the wait for ordering them and the effort to do it. I'm possibly ready to upgrade to a new TiVo. I could certainly use an extra tuner or two. Anyone know if there are any good ways to get a discount on lifetime service for a long time customer? I know they periodically do a discount for existing lifetime customers to get us to upgrade, but I don't know if there's anything like that currently or if I could expect them to do it again anytime soon if I waited.

sparkyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #13
lew

Your software vwas upgraded in the last few days. New software uses the alternate partitions. Software upgrades can expose issues with hard drives. Pull your drive and run mfg diagnostics. You want to run the extended, overnight tests.

lew is offline   Reply With Quote