TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2013, 01:25 AM   #1
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Anthony Bourdain - Parts Unknown - recording repeats

Anyone having this issue? I'm on Comcast, Chicago. For the past few weeks, this show has been recording old shows a bunch (4 or 5 episodes) every Saturday night. The show airs Sunday nights. This is really annoying.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

If the episodes lack info, such as an EpisodeId, it will treat the show as new.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
b_scott
TiVo Fan

looks like it's Comcast's problem. The Daily Show used to have this issue as well.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

The show is over for the season, so -- since the Guide Data has been notoriously bad for everything except the Sunday airings -- I nuked my Season Pass last night.

The other alternative is to go into your To Do List every couple of days and delete all the upcoming showings that have generic listings. Tedious but necessary, unless you want big heaps of Whatever CNN is Really Showing Instead on your NP list.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
PotentiallyCoherent

The guy is smart, and clever. Those are two different characteristics, believe it or not. He gets old fast though. He's like the friend you love for awhile, but can only take for a short stint, and later wish to be around, again.
PotentiallyCoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

This worked fine initially, then got all messed up. I gotta keep cleaning up the Now Playing list, or even pre-delete them from To Do List

Problem is not really a Comcast problem. I am on TimeWarner. It's a CNN issue and the way they report data on the shows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
bigpuma

I have the same issue on DirecTV, it is a guide data problem. Very annoying.
bigpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
sharkster

I think it's somewhere between Tribune Media and the stations. I also have trouble with that, and The Daily Show, along with a few others, to the extent that I don't even keep Season Passes anymore with some shows.

I just go in each week and manually pick them up for the week. Fortunately, I have enough time on my hands. But I prefer that to having my 'My Shows' cluttered with a crapload of stuff I didn't want. The Daily Show has been that way, for me anyway, for a LONG time. I've been manually recording it a week at a time for several years.

It applies to other CCentral shows and some 'E' shows, TVLand, and a few other channels that don't come to mind at this moment.

I honestly have a hard time even understanding it because you can have an SP for 'new only' and the shows are not listed as new in any way, yet it will pick up every airing, even though it doesn't have a 'new' attached to it AND it has an OAD that is also not new.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I honestly have a hard time even understanding it because you can have an SP for 'new only' and the shows are not listed as new in any way, yet it will pick up every airing, even though it doesn't have a 'new' attached to it AND it has an OAD that is also not new.
The TiVo looks for specific things in the Guide Data to determine what to do. Not all of these things are human-readable, nor does it use some of the information which is displayed for the benefit of the user.

There's a flag (not necessarily visible by us viewers) called IsEpisode -- if it is set to YES then the TiVo knows that the Guide Data is for a specific episode, and it can look at the OAD and apply all the rules about whether or not the show should be recorded.

If the flag is not there, it knows that the data is generic. The default seems to be, if the Guide Data doesn't refer to a specific episode, it records the episode anyway, in case it might be new. This is probably also the case when other parts of the Guide Data is missing (like ThAbtO said in post #2 of this thread).

Whether a show has a "R" or not in the visible Guide Data doesn't matter -- the algorithm doesn't look for that.

With older TiVos, there are backdoor codes which reveal some of the hidden Guide Data. (Maybe for the newer ones, too, but I haven't been keeping up with that part of the forum.)