Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
Satchel

Mad Men 6/23/2013 "In Care Of"

Wow...ok.

So Don is out.

Ted headed to LA

Bob Benson sets up Pete to fail at GM.

Manolo marries Pete's mom and pushes her off a ship.

Sally gets her friends drunk and gets kicked out of school.

Megan leaves Don.

Don comes clean about his childhood to Hershey, the partners and his kids.

Peggy gets screwed and then gets screwed.

And did I miss a scene where Pete resigned? He said he was going to California. What did I miss? He wasn't at the mandatory Thanksgiving partner's meeting where Don was voted out. Isn't Pete a partner?

Makes for an interesting last season.
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yep. Wow and wow.

That is a great summary.

Peggy got screwed, then screwed but still ended up in Don's office.

I really liked the very end - Don showing his kids where he grew up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Before the episode I was trying to guess what would happen and one of my guesses was Ted would break Peggy's heart. I was right!

I thought it was really funny that after the investigator said that no expense would be spared that Pete and his brother asked for a ballpark!

Don really spiraled out of control this season. Next season could go either with an attempted redemption or all-out disaster. Mad Men isn't much for redemption...

Sally was only suspended, not kicked out.

I loved Peggy enjoying the view from Don's chair at the end. Both Don and Ted subverted her in different ways. It will be interesting to see how she does without them. Side note - the outfit she wore when Ted said he was leaving is very similar to the one she wore when she interviewed with him.

I expect Pete is going to CA with Ted for the LA office.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Wow, there's a lot of red meat in this one. I saw this as all about fathers ultimately realizing how important their kids really are. Roger with Kevin, (not caring about Bob knowing Roger was the father of Joan's child), and with his daughter and seeming loser husband "bleeding him dry"; Ted dumping Peggy and escaping to CA for his kids; Pete and his daughter, probably the most sympathy I have ever felt for Pete was in that scene; and finally Don taking the kids and showing them the house he grew up in. Sally almost looked at him with some respect.

Excellent season finale, probably the best of the season.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Going down?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

I'm pretty sure Pete was at the meeting before the meeting where it was decided Pete would be the one going to California and Don would be getting the Freddy Rumsen treatment.

I wonder if next season starts with everyone calling Don by his real name from then on?
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

"NOT GREAT BOB"
I loved it.. milk out the nose-worthy
Old 06-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Bob with the apron on, carving the turkey.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
cheesesteak
Meh.

The best part was the end where Sally looks at Don with a "Now I see why you're so bleeped up" look.

My guess is that Don starts his own small agency next year. Hopefully, Megan goes away and stays away.

I was tired of Ted's and Peggy's dance. Glad that's over.

Who was the second guy at the elevator?

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #10
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
The best part was the end where Sally looks at Don with a "Now I see why you're so bleeped up" look.

My guess is that Don starts his own small agency next year. Hopefully, Megan goes away and stays away.

I was tired of Ted's and Peggy's dance. Glad that's over.

Don's replacement?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
I'm pretty sure Pete was at the meeting before the meeting where it was decided Pete would be the one going to California and Don would be getting the Freddy Rumsen treatment.

I wonder if next season starts with everyone calling Don by his real name from then on?
And I wonder if Dick Whitman's AWOL status will be resolved next season?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Don's replacement?
I was thinking more like Peggy's replacement.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Don's replacement?
Don said they'd met before but I don't remember the guy.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
crowfan
The Dude abides

I didn't go back to check, but I thought the guy getting off the elevator was the religious AA guy that spoke to Don in the bar.

And I loved two visuals in this episode: when Peggy is sitting in Don's chair and turns toward the window, it was very shadowy in the foreground and looked a lot like the opening credits profile of Don; and in the scene with Pete and Trudy where they were standing opposite sides of the room, his side dark and her side light.

crowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #15
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfan View Post
I didn't go back to check, but I thought the guy getting off the elevator was the religious AA guy that spoke to Don in the bar.
That's what I originally thought, too but that just seemed too implausible.

Mad Men's very well written, true to life characters help make up for the slow moving plot developments. The characters act like real people do. However, I can't for one second believe that a real world person would have a real world meltdown in an extremely important client meeting like Don did at the Hershey meeting.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #16
Cainebj

Quote:
I can't for one second believe that a real world person would have a real world meltdown in an extremely important client meeting like Don did at the Hershey meeting.
I didn't buy that either.

Don being kicked out was contrived.
They spent 5 years telling us what a genius he is and then they give him the boot?
Not buying it.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #17
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I didn't buy that either.

They spent 5 years telling us what a genius he is and then they give him the boot?
Not buying it.
I feel like this whole season has been showing us that he isn't such the genius he used to be.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #18
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
That being said, I also didn't buy the meltdown/confessional or the get drunk, hit a preacher and wind up in jail scenario either.

Interesting bit with him then NOT drinking, getting the shakes and Ted seeing it and telling him to take a shot before the meeting.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #19
crowfan
The Dude abides

Ah, that's right - that guy was a preacher. Probably not the guy from the elevator then. No idea who he was.

crowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #20
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
"Lou". We last saw him at the airport when Don and Roger were going to Detroit, and he came over to taunt them about losing Vick's ("Who's got a cough drop? Not these guys!")
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #21
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
That being said, I also didn't buy the meltdown/confessional or the get drunk, hit a preacher and wind up in jail scenario either.
The meltdown, Don's forced vacation... Some of the major points of this episode were very manipulative like Pete being goaded into trying to drive that Camaro when he can barely drive an automatic transmission. I expect that from an I Love Lucy episode, not Mad Men.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #22
sharkster

I, too, missed how Pete was ending up going to CA.

Ted's quite the doosh - sees Peggy looking mega-hot, pursues and screws her, gives her promises, then immediately reneges. Yikes, what a dick.

I wonder why Don was compelled to give the whorehouse story to the meeting with the Hershey folks. I mean, it rounded out well but I guess it was just a whole piece of his feeling vulnerable.

Did they recognize alcoholism at that time? The shaking hand thing was no surprise. I'm sure WE all know he's an alcoholic, but during that time (I was still a kid- just turned 14 that Nov) I don't recall if it was something that was recognized.

Not surprising that Sally would go bad. I also think I'm tired of the whole Megan thing. Don always figures out too late that he loves the girl. Poor Don. I know, he's a dick too but you can see so clearly, and IMO understand, why.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
The meltdown, Don's forced vacation... Some of the major points of this episode were very manipulative like Pete being goaded into trying to drive that Camaro when he can barely drive an automatic transmission. I expect that from an I Love Lucy episode, not Mad Men.
Yeah, these last two seasons haven't had the care and attention to the scripts that seasons 1 - 4 had.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #24
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Yeah, these last two seasons haven't had the care and attention to the scripts that seasons 1 - 4 had.
Right - having someone in the office drive a riding lawnmower over (a) Guy's foot in order to keep the Americans in power and lead to their defection wasn't at all contrived, silly or "I Love Lucyesque".

I love the absurdity they bring to the show at times.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #25
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Not buying it.
That one incident by itself wouldn't have triggered Don's forced leave of absence.

According to Matthew Weiner, firing their most important client, forcing them into a merger and then waging war on his partner, and the destructive swath that he cut through the agency, killing the public offering and everything else, that cannot go without punishment. The Hershey’s meeting has little do with it.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...son-finale/?hp
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #26
brianric

Sepinwall's take on the episode: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...-from-season-6
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #27
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I, too, missed how Pete was ending up going to CA.

Ted's quite the doosh - sees Peggy looking mega-hot, pursues and screws her, gives her promises, then immediately reneges. Yikes, what a dick.

I wonder why Don was compelled to give the whorehouse story to the meeting with the Hershey folks. I mean, it rounded out well but I guess it was just a whole piece of his feeling vulnerable.

Did they recognize alcoholism at that time? The shaking hand thing was no surprise. I'm sure WE all know he's an alcoholic, but during that time (I was still a kid- just turned 14 that Nov) I don't recall if it was something that was recognized.

Not surprising that Sally would go bad. I also think I'm tired of the whole Megan thing. Don always figures out too late that he loves the girl. Poor Don. I know, he's a dick too but you can see so clearly, and IMO understand, why.
It's simple. Don has been telling lies for so long that he finally had the cathartic moment to tell the truth. His lies were making him alcoholic.
To me the shaking of the hand was not his alcoholism but the guilt of all his lies. The Hershey story about his dad was just the straw and he couldn't do it any longer because he realized his lies were destroying his marriage, his family, as it showed at the end possibly his job.

Your looking at it through the prism of a normal person versus somebody who is tired of it all. Frankly I have been waiting for the heart attack.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
It's simple. Don has been telling lies for so long that he finally had the cathartic moment to tell the truth. His lies were making him alcoholic.
To me the shaking of the hand was not his alcoholism but the guilt of all his lies. The Hershey story about his dad was just the straw and he couldn't do it any longer because he realized his lies were destroying his marriage, his family, as it showed at the end possibly his job.

Your looking at it through the prism of a normal person versus somebody who is tired of it all. Frankly I have been waiting for the heart attack.
Well done! About the only part of that that I caught, up front, was that his lies were the cause of his alcoholism.

I find that I have to watch the episode, come here to read what others have seen, read the Sepinwall blog, then the next week I watch it again. Getting old sucks! Stuff just doesn't sink in as well anymore.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #29
Satchel

From a Matthew Weiner interview this morning on HuffPo:

And let’s face it, how good do you have to be to get away with the crap he pulled this year? He fired their biggest client [at that time, Jaguar], he forced them into a merger. He ruined their public offering and then, he went to war against their partner -- the Hershey meeting being a very minor infraction in all of this. So yeah, it’s pretty bad. I mean, Freddy came back and worse people come back from this thing; I'm not going to say that Don's not going to be back in the agency. But people should feel exactly what it is -- the partners have put their foot down and they don't want him in the office for a while.
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #30
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

If this were the real world, SC&P would be fuming mad at Don Draper in a few years after seeing how huge a client Hershey would become.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote