TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
tootal2

Can i put a tv antenna on my condos patio and hook it to my tivo?

Can I get into trouble for doing this? Has anyone else tried this?
Im thinking of trying it.
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

You have a legal right under federal law to put up an OTA antenna or a satellite dish on a patio or balcony under your exclusive control. It doesn't matter if you are a renter and your landlord put a clause in the lease agreement saying you can't, or if you have a HOA that has restrictive covenants that say you can't. You can still do it regardless and they can't legally stop you.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/installing...tellite-dishes

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 10-03-2014 at 12:39 AM.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

When you say 'your condos' patio' are you meaning a patio that is your patio or a jointed used patio? It sounds like if it is your exclusive use patio, then you could, although the quote below infers that any exterior wall isn't covered under the federal law. And maybe a exterior patio also wouldn't be covered? A friend of mine was told that she couldn't put up a satellite dish on her patio.

"OTARD rules do not apply to common areas that are owned by a landlord, a community association or jointly by condominium owners. These common areas may include the roof or exterior walls of a multiple dwelling unit."
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
When you say 'your condos' patio' are you meaning a patio that is your patio or a jointed used patio? It sounds like if it is your exclusive use patio, then you could, although the quote below infers that any exterior wall isn't covered under the federal law. And maybe a exterior patio also wouldn't be covered? A friend of mine was told that she couldn't put up a satellite dish on her patio.

"OTARD rules do not apply to common areas that are owned by a landlord, a community association or jointly by condominium owners. These common areas may include the roof or exterior walls of a multiple dwelling unit."
Just because your friend was told she couldn't put one up on her patio by the landlord doesn't mean she didn't have a legal right to do so.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Why do you need to put it outside? They make some very good indoor antennas for OTA that would probably work just fine.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Why do you need to put it outside? They make some very good indoor antennas for OTA that would probably work just fine.
I just moved to a ranch home and bought a flat indoor antenna from Amazon and just laid it on top of a tall bookcase. My last home was a two story bungalow and had a rooftop antenna. The new antenna works nearly as well as the rooftop one I had. The rooftop antenna did have a rotor, so it could pick-up a few extra low power channels, but nothing I would have watched.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #7
tootal2

Im in a condo and in a valley. The stations come in ok. but the brake up a lot sometimes. If I can get a antenna working good I could get rid of cable and get a TiVo ota. Im going to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
I just moved to a ranch home and bought a flat indoor antenna from Amazon and just laid it on top of a tall bookcase. My last home was a two story bungalow and had a rooftop antenna. The new antenna works nearly as well as the rooftop one I had. The rooftop antenna did have a rotor, so it could pick-up a few extra low power channels, but nothing I would have watched.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
shiffrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
You have a legal right under federal law to put up an OTA antenna or a satellite dish on a patio or balcony under your exclusive control. It doesn't matter if you are a renter and your landlord put a clause in the lease agreement saying you can't, or if you have a HOA that has restrictive covenants that say you can't. You can still do it regardless and they can't legally stop you.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/installing...tellite-dishes
I believe the FCC rules only protect the installation of a "local" type OTA antenna, not a large one designed for bringing in distant stations.

Had someone here in our development recently install a local TV antenna in her attic and got good results.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

I have an Antenna Direct Clearstream 4 and a Clearstream 5 on my balcony with a free standing tripod completely within my rented space. I successfully argued in court that it's not a satellite dish when they specifically attempted to make me pay a $500 non-refundable satellite dish deposit at the same time I succeeded in the court determining that there is no such thing as non-refundable deposit if they call it a deposit it's refundable. Btw the complex had a deal with TWC not even u-verse is allowed in, not that I works ever have it.
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Captainbob

I purchased a Walltenna HD indoor antenna 2 years ago when I cut the cord. It is omnidirectional, costs only $35, and I get about 20 local stations with it, and all the major stations in HD. Stuck it on the wall in back of my TV, with some push pins, and haven't had to touch it since.

http://www.walltenna.com/
Captainbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
trip1eX

I built my own. I used a 2x4 and some washers, screws and a coat hanger. There's a guide on the nets to do this. It got stations in. But I always had same problem as I had with store bought indoor antenna. there was always 1 major network that I couldn't get in unless I moved the antenna. And then another 1 of the big 4 was always flakey. I did this in Denver and Boston and got similar results.

One reason people got on board with cable in the first place was because of reception problems back in the day.
trip1eX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #12
telemark

OP, if you want antenna recommendations that are relevant to your location, you'll have to post your ZIP and maybe what floor you're on if you're in a multistory area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
I have an Antenna Direct Clearstream 4 and a Clearstream 5 on my balcony with a free standing tripod completely within my rented space. I successfully argued in court that it's not a satellite dish
When the lease came up for renewal, did they try to change it to require deposit for other antennas?

Quote:
Btw the complex had a deal with TWC not even u-verse is allowed in, not that I works ever have it.
The FCC has also attempted to ban the exclusive contracts:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...e-cable-deals/
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #13
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiffrin View Post
I believe the FCC rules only protect the installation of a "local" type OTA antenna, not a large one designed for bringing in distant stations.
There are limits to the size and location of what they protect, but they protect anything required to get the signals you want up to those limits.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #14
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
I built my own. I used a 2x4 and some washers, screws and a coat hanger. There's a guide on the nets to do this. It got stations in. But I always had same problem as I had with store bought indoor antenna. there was always 1 major network that I couldn't get in unless I moved the antenna.
One reason people got on board with cable in the first place was because of reception problems back in the day.
Yes, heck, I'm not out in the middle of nowhere, but the major reason I have cable is to get (relatively) reliable reception of the network channels -- none of this move the antenna in a different direction stuff.. (Though I admit, now that one channel switched from being ABC to NBC long ago, they're probably on the same SF broadcast tower..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote