TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Tivo II Jack

Verizon FIOS

Verizon recently completed the installation of FIOS in my 84 unit Co-Op building. In the next few days they will have representatives in the lobby to meet with interested parties and they are offering 30 days free trial. I plan on taking the trial offer but I don't know what to expect and am hoping for some suggestions here.

I have a Roamio Pro and my current provider is TW. Will I be downloading the programming for both TW and FIOS or will Tivo just find my season passes for both services. I want to make the most of the 30 days so I can make a decision on what to keep.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

You can only link your TiVo to one or the other, not both. If you want to use the TiVo with FIOS you'll need to obtain a CableCARD from them, then connect your TiVo to whatever coax is required to use their service, then repeat Guided Setup to get the channel guide for FIOS.

Most/All of your SPs should carry over as they are based on the call letters for the station not the actual number and should move automatically. All the programs you recorded with TW will remain on the TiVo and accessible.

The best part about FIOS over TW is that they do not protect any stations except HBO. So you'll be able to stream almost everything outside the home and you'll be able to download almost everything to a PC if you want.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

Lucky you. I wish I could jump ship from Time Warner to FiOS. I would do it without hesitation.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 10-01-2014 at 12:32 AM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
celtic pride

I dont know if time warner uses tuning adapters but i know verizon fios doesnt! So thats one less thing to worry about.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
I dont know if time warner uses tuning adapters but i know verizon fios doesnt! So thats one less thing to worry about.
Time Warner is the undisputed heavyweight champion of tuning adapters.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:46 PM   #6
heelsbigc

FiOS is great. Jump ship and don't think twice.
heelsbigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
caughey

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelsbigc View Post
This.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:01 AM   #8
BigJimOutlaw

+1 for Fios.

To save installation time, re-run Guided Setup shortly before the Fios installer gets there.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:34 AM   #9
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You can only link your TiVo to one or the other, not both. If you want to use the TiVo with FIOS you'll need to obtain a CableCARD from them, then connect your TiVo to whatever coax is required to use their service, then repeat Guided Setup to get the channel guide for FIOS.

Most/All of your SPs should carry over as they are based on the call letters for the station not the actual number and should move automatically. All the programs you recorded with TW will remain on the TiVo and accessible.

The best part about FIOS over TW is that they do not protect any stations except HBO. So you'll be able to stream almost everything outside the home and you'll be able to download almost everything to a PC if you want.
Thank you all, Tivo Community has to be the best of the entire internet. Never wait for answers they are always there.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:35 AM   #10
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Great to know, two more cables I can remove from my cable jungle.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:37 AM   #11
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
+1 for Fios.

To save installation time, re-run Guided Setup shortly before the Fios installer gets there.
Can I do that without having the cable cards? I doubt I will have them until the installer gets here.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:57 AM   #12
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
Can I do that without having the cable cards? I doubt I will have them until the installer gets here.
Yep it'll be fine. When you're prompted about the cablecard, select "install the CC later".
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #13
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelsbigc View Post
I dropped DirecTV as my TV provider and Comcast as my ISP as soon as FIOS was available to my home over six years ago and haven't regretted it for an instant. To date, I have never had a single service outage with FIOS whereas Comcast and DirecTV lost their feeds anytime it rained. I had Comcast for cable TV before switching to DirecTV, but kept them for wideband internet. FIOS internet is enough reason to switch all by itself. I also have Verizon for my wireless service so I'm able to bundle my TV, internet, landline phone, and wireless phone services into a single monthly bill.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Yep it'll be fine. When you're prompted about the cablecard, select "install the CC later".
Good to know, upon reading your reply I remembered I did that when I first got my two series 3 Tivos before getting the cards.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I dropped DirecTV as my TV provider and Comcast as my ISP as soon as FIOS was available to my home over six years ago and haven't regretted it for an instant. To date, I have never had a single service outage with FIOS whereas Comcast and DirecTV lost their feeds anytime it rained. I had Comcast for cable TV before switching to DirecTV, but kept them for wideband internet. FIOS internet is enough reason to switch all by itself. I also have Verizon for my wireless service so I'm able to bundle my TV, internet, landline phone, and wireless phone services into a single monthly bill.
I also have Verizon cell and land line phone service. I have had dozens and dozens of minor problems with TW since it was first installed in 1987. The TW solution is almost ALWAYS to send out a technician to fix the problem.

My response to that has ALWAYS been to refuse that solution and inform them that there has never been a TW technician in my home since 1987 and yet every single problem somehow corrected itself. They just can't understand that means the problem was ALWAYS outside of my walls and never needed any technician in my home to repair.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #16
Tivo II Jack

One more question. My ten or 15+ year old email addresses are Roadrunner addresses. I am assuming I will have to give those addresses up and begin using new FIOS addresses once they are available and begin notifying a gazzilion people of the new addresses. Am I right about that?
Old 10-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #17
waynomo
My One Time

Some ISPs will let you pay a monthly fee to continue using your email addresses. It's usually pretty small, but sort of defeats the purpose. Maybe do it for a few months to ease the transition. (No personal experience with TW)
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #18
Captainbob

Quote:
One more question. My ten or 15+ year old email addresses are Roadrunner addresses. I am assuming I will have to give those addresses up and begin using new FIOS addresses once they are available and begin notifying a gazzilion people of the new addresses. Am I right about that?
Use Gmail, no spam, works great, and you will have your address forever no matter who your ISP is, plus a backup of all your emails.
Captainbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #19
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainbob View Post
Use Gmail, no spam, works great, and you will have your address forever no matter who your ISP is, plus a backup of all your emails.
+1
Old 10-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #20
Bigg

Are you in NYC? TWC/BHN is literally the worst TV provider for TiVo users, both due to SDV and copy flagging. FIOS is arguably the best.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #21
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
In less than 24 hours, the Verizon person will be here to install FIOS into my Co-Op. Yesterday I also learned that FIOS does not charge for a modem at all, it is built into the terminal box that will be installed inside a closet and is a no charge part of FIOS equipment.

Time Warner does use T/A's and anything else they can charge you for. They have been charging me $6 per month for a modem for years now. Almost a year ago I bought a modem and returned theirs. I just realized they never stopped charging me the $6 rental fee.

I am on hold with them right now and have also been studying my bill. The $4 charges for the Addl Outlet is the charge for the Tuning Adapter

Monthly services
Internet Modem Lease 5.99
Cable Card Addl Outlet 6.50
Cable CARD $2.50, Add'l Outlet Service $4.00
Cable Card Addl Outlet 6.50
Cable CARD $2.50, Add'l Outlet Service $4.00
Enjoy the $36.75 you saved over retail rates this month.

I will be freeing up the power plugs for my 2 T?A's and also for the two timers that shut the T/A's down once a day to facilitate the GC. With TW, you can NOT access On Demand using a Tivo + cable card so I also have a TW basic HD cable box. Another charge I drop and another power plug gone.

I was talking last night to a friend who had FIOS installed 6 months ago and who made one comment: "You're gonna love FIOS."
Old 10-07-2014, 11:51 PM   #22
heelsbigc

Quote:

I was talking last night to a friend who had FIOS installed 6 months ago and who made one comment: "You're gonna love FIOS."
Yes you will.
heelsbigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #23
caughey

Quote:
With TW, you can NOT access On Demand using a Tivo + cable card so I also have a TW basic HD cable box. Another charge I drop and another power plug gone.

I think you'll love FiOS with TiVo, too. You do realize TiVo can't access FiOS on-demand either?
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:53 AM   #24
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughey View Post
I think you'll love FiOS with TiVo, too. You do realize TiVo can't access FiOS on-demand either?
Are you sure about that? When I had FIOS tech support on the phone yesterday we were talking about the equipment and set up processes. He mentioned something and I asked a question. His response was that I would need that to get on demand.

Don't remember exactly what he said I needed. Know more tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:13 AM   #25
jay_man2
jay_man-also

A TiVo box with a cable card can't get FiOS On Demand. You need a Verizon set top box for that (regular or DVR box).
Old 10-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #26
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post
A TiVo box with a cable card can't get FiOS On Demand. You need a Verizon set top box for that (regular or DVR box).
I am already having intense doubts about even letting them install FIOS right now. I have had Verizon land line and cell phone for MANY years now and I was always sick of hearing their LIES about EVERYTHING. I see now that NOTHING changes.

My appointment was for between 11AM and 2PM. At 8:30AM their installer called me and asked if he could come at 9AM instead. I hadn't gone to sleep until 7AM but I told him to come anyway. I got up, got dressed and was waiting.

At 8:50AM the installer called again and said he was reassigned to another job and a different installer would be coming. I expressed my annoyment and told him I had changed my entire routine and would now have to sit here for at least 3 hours wasting my time.

I asked him to keep coming and have the other guy take the new job. He said he would call his boss and do that. He called again and said he was at a location right near my home and was making a U turn to come here when he hit another car and was now waiting for the Police to arrive.

The lying sack of dung wasn't aware that in NYC, Police NEVER respond to any vehicle accidents unless there are injured parties. His cavalier attitude when telling this LIE made it obvious this was not the case.

I told him I would be right there because I knew many of the local Police Officers and could help him expedite the problem. He instantly hung up on me. There is no end to the LIES when it comes to Verizon and I despise being lied to by ANY merchant.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #27
Grakthis

Quote:
I am already having intense doubts about even letting them install FIOS right now. I have had Verizon land line and cell phone for MANY years now and I was always sick of hearing their LIES about EVERYTHING. I see now that NOTHING changes.

My appointment was for between 11AM and 2PM. At 8:30AM their installer called me and asked if he could come at 9AM instead. I hadn't gone to sleep until 7AM but I told him to come anyway. I got up, got dressed and was waiting.

At 8:50AM the installer called again and said he was reassigned to another job and a different installer would be coming. I expressed my annoyment and told him I had changed my entire routine and would now have to sit here for at least 3 hours wasting my time.

I asked him to keep coming and have the other guy take the new job. He said he would call his boss and do that. He called again and said he was at a location right near my home and was making a U turn to come here when he hit another car and was now waiting for the Police to arrive.

The lying sack of dung wasn't aware that in NYC, Police NEVER respond to any vehicle accidents unless there are injured parties. His cavalier attitude when telling this LIE made it obvious this was not the case.

I told him I would be right there because I knew many of the local Police Officers and could help him expedite the problem. He instantly hung up on me. There is no end to the LIES when it comes to Verizon and I despise being lied to by ANY merchant.
I don't think this is a culture issue with Verizon. this is a culture issue with NYC service people.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #28
trip1eX

Well that's the way the installation business runs all over the place.

You got off easy if this all went on in a 20 minute span. It sounds like you could just go back to bed and wait for your originally scheduled appt. Given the window, you might get 5 more hrs of sleep in.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #29
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Also EPIX.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #30
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Also EPIX.
Also EPIX what? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote