TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #631
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
does this mean if there was a conflict it would auto send the recording request to the other box?
No that is referring to Tivo Mini's use of the DVR's tuners. Right now, a Mini will "steal" the tuner even when not using it, thus reducing the pool of tuners available for recording. In the future, they will only "steal" a tuner when someone wants to watch live TV from a Mini. The Minis have no tuners themselves, so there is nowhere to send a recording too.

Tivo's multi-room solution going forward is to have 1 DVR (hub) with multiple Minis (spokes). They are not and probably will not ever support cooperative scheduling between DVRs (especially with the hub-spoke model).
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #632
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
No that is referring to Tivo Mini's use of the DVR's tuners. Right now, a Mini will "steal" the tuner even when not using it, thus reducing the pool of tuners available for recording. In the future, they will only "steal" a tuner when someone wants to watch live TV from a Mini. The Minis have no tuners themselves, so there is nowhere to send a recording too.

Tivo's multi-room solution going forward is to have 1 DVR (hub) with multiple Minis (spokes). They are not and probably will not ever support cooperative scheduling between DVRs (especially with the hub-spoke model).
Ahh...

well I don't know if I like that second part. But I guess it wouldn't really change much from the user side.

sounds like Dish hoppers.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #633
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
No, this means that you can pair a TiVo Mini and it will dynamically select and release a live tuner when in use.
And the live tuner, when released, would be available for recording(s).
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #634
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbrew View Post
That was an interesting read. If anyone has any questions as to what TiVo thinks of analog tuners, this tells you everything you need to know.

28 Waiver Request at iii, 12-13. TiVo states in its Waiver Request that it tracked consumer response to the previous
waiver it received, and only 0.2 % of subscribers commented to TiVo about the absence of analog tuning ability, and
only 0.05% of customers cancelled their subscriptions as a result. Waiver Request at ii.
I should have responded. I'm OTA for HD and analog cable for the rest.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #635
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
And the live tuner, when released, would be available for recording(s).
Ideally, you should be able to start a recording from the Mini that would save the live buffer of whatever tuner it is currently using.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #636
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkain View Post
Do you suppose the new TiVOs will also include a consistent user interface from top to bottom? I was pretty surprised during my 2 weeks with an XL4 that the new HD user interface is only for the top couple of levels. Anything else and you're time-warped back a decade (also surprising given that they claim 400+ in R&D - really??).
I doubt it. They'll probably add a few more screens like WL and maybe Browse By Time/Channel, but I'm betting most of the settings section will remain SD for this initial release.

I'm also betting that the option to switch to a pure SD interface goes away, and that eventually, some day, they will complete the settings section in HD as well.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #637
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
I should have responded. I'm OTA for HD and analog cable for the rest.
These units wont do analog at all, so you'll need to stick with the 2 tuner Premiere or at least keep one around until you have access to pure digital. I'm in the same boat. My cable company still has about 35 channels that are analog only. Until they at least start to simulcast I'm stuck keeping a 2 tuner Premiere around for recording those stations.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #638
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm also betting that the option to switch to a pure SD interface goes away, and that eventually, some day, they will complete the settings section in HD as well.
I hope they don't do that unless they make it so the HDUI is useable when the TiVo is connected to a non-HD TV.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #639
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I hope they don't do that unless they make it so the HDUI is useable when the TiVo is connected to a non-HD TV.

nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #640
Philmatic

Quote:
Define "usable"? The HDUI works fine on non-HD displays? It's just a tight, but works fine.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #641
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
Define "usable"? The HDUI works fine on non-HD displays? It's just a tight, but works fine.
Unless things have changed, you can't even enable it unless the TiVo is connected to an HD TV.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #642
lessd

Quote:
Unless things have changed, you can't even enable it unless the TiVo is connected to an HD TV.
I have one connected to an old CRT TV in a guest room and you can turn on the HDUI but why would you want to, but it does work, remember TiVo would have no way of knowing if you were using the component outputs that could feed most any HDTV in HD, they could only tell if your are using or not using the HDMI output.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #643
Dan203
Super Moderator

On the TiVo itself there is a TV screen size selection option where you can pick 4:3 or 16:9. If you select 4:3 and use the HDUI then the hole UI is letterboxed. This option is missing from the Mini. It can detect 4:3 or 16:9 via HDMI but if you use a component or composite breakout cable it simply squishes the HDUI onto the screen. I'm hoping they bring back the option, but if not then it will still work.

4:3 is essentially dead so I doubt TiVo is going to put any real effort into supporting the SDUI or making the HDUI work without letterboxing on a 4:3 TV.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #644
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I have one connected to an old CRT TV in a guest room and you can turn on the HDUI but why would you want to, but it does work, remember TiVo would have no way of knowing if you were using the component outputs that could feed most any HDTV in HD, they could only tell if your are using or not using the HDMI output.
Nope, doesn't work for me. If I attempt to select it, I am informed that you must have your TV aspect ratio set to either 16:9 or "Smart TV" (the latter option doesn't even seem to exist anymore) and at least one HD output format selected.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #645
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nope, doesn't work for me. If I attempt to select it, I am informed that you must have your TV aspect ratio set to either 16:9 or "Smart TV" (the latter option doesn't even seem to exist anymore) and at least one HD output format selected.
You have to select the 720p option. However if you use the composite video output it will always be down sampled to 480i so it'll still work.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #646
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
But nothing prevents you from selecting an HD output format, and then, for instance, using the composite output. I think there are other tricks as well, but it's been a year for me since I did it. I ran the HDUI for a couple years on my old CRT. mostly in the name of a consistent interface.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #647
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
But nothing prevents you from selecting an HD output format, and then, for instance, using the composite output. I think there are other tricks as well, but it's been a year for me since I did it. I ran the HDUI for a couple years on my old CRT. mostly in the name of a consistent interface.
It's not the output format that is the problem for me, it is the TV aspect ratio.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #648
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
They'll probably add a few more screens like WL and maybe Browse By Time/Channel, but I'm betting most of the settings section will remain SD for this initial release.
Duke Nukem Forever!

I've seen several new WL screens, and they were all HD. I've been informed the settings remain SD. Not a big deal in terms of usability but indicative of TiVo's glacially slow development pace.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #649
Dan203
Super Moderator

Wish Lists, Browse by Time & Browse by Channel are the only non-settings related sections that are still SD. If they get those working then most people wont even notice the SD screens.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #650
lpwcomp

Quote:
Wish Lists, Browse by Time & Browse by Channel are the only non-settings related sections that are still SD. If they get those working then most people wont even notice the SD screens.
What about when browsing a Series 3 or earlier TiVo or a computer?

Old 08-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #651
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:

^^^this^^^
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #652
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
That's a limitation of that devices software. The old S3 units do not support the newer MindRPC APIs required to display an HDUI for those devices. They would require a software update which is never going to happen.

S3 units will start to fade away shortly anyway, so that problem will eventually fix itself.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #653
innocentfreak

If TiVo ever rolled out an updated TiVo Desktop, I could see it supporting the HD screen when browsing the PC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #654
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Yes, definitely something improved about this. While the S3 or HD is limited, and will likely never receive another software update, ever, there's no stopping the Premiere or Series 5 from being able to make it look better (I would think).

So, we've heard that it's not possible due to the S3 or HD... Now tell me how a newer model wouldn't be able to make the "experience" better.

Then there's the whole browsing computer part. There's a place where matters could be changed on both ends of things, right?

Note: innocentfreak posted as I was typing this, so mine came after his.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #655
rifleman69

Quote:
Not true, you can turn it on for whatever tv you want.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #656
rifleman69

Quote:
So you change your aspect ratio to 16:9, I've done it on a 36 inch CRT tv with a Series 3, a Premiere, and an Elite. HDUI works on a non-HD TV.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #657
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
The others are correct, in a few ways, from what I just tried. Force the TiVo to 720p (ignore the warnings), then use the composite output. It's 480i no matter what you set anything to. The final viewable aspect ratio is a combo platter of setting it on the TiVo in a way that the TV may be able to adjust with it's own zoom/aspect modes (if applicable).
Old 08-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #658
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
The others are correct, in a few ways, from what I just tried. Force the TiVo to 720p (ignore the warnings), then use the composite output. It's 480i no matter what you set anything to. The final viewable aspect ratio is a combo platter of setting it on the TiVo in a way that the TV may be able to adjust with it's own zoom/aspect modes (if applicable).
To tell the truth, I don't really need to run the HDUI on that Premiere as I rarely access it directly. I don't believe I've ever actually watched anything on it in its current location. I don't even leave the remote out there. Anything viewed there is with someone else and the THD gets used for that. When I am watching stuff by myself, I do it in my bedroom on the other Premiere, which is connected to an HD TV.

In any case, the impetus for this discussion was the possibility of doing away entirely with the SDUI. Still not sure they can do it unless they provide direct support for it on an SD, 4:3 TV.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #659
ufo4sale

Just curious but with a 4 tuner TiVo and one mini if your recording on 3 Tuners and you have one free and the mini is watching live TV does that mean I can't watch on the 4 tuner TiVo? How would the 4 tuner TiVo know if the anyone is watching on the Mini and how would dynamic tuner make a difference?

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #660
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
In any case, the impetus for this discussion was the possibility of doing away entirely with the SDUI. Still not sure they can do it unless they provide direct support for it on an SD, 4:3 TV.
OIC. The thing that scares me is dying of old age using the HDUI to clear the items I want out of my Recently Deleted folder. I use it like some use the Recycle Bin on their computers. I often put things in there I want to keep, unless I absolutely need the space, or might change my mind about watching something. I've deleted whole series, then when I ran out of things I felt like watching, I dug them out, easily, since I cleared the things I DID already watch, out. Digging them out is much faster with SDUI as well...

Please (to all) let's not start the usual bickering over why anybody cares about the RD folder. All that matters is some users do. It's already been stated that some don't.