TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
grelca

Problems getting MoCA set up

Okay so I've got the adapter all set up and it works to get the MoCA signal into my bedroom through the coax wall plate already in there. Unless I put a cable splitter between the wall and the TiVo.

This works:

wall ------ TiVo

This doesn't work:

Code:
                 ----- tuning adapter
                /
wall ----- splitter
                \
                 ----- TiVo
Yesterday I noticed the splitter I've had (that Cox gave me a year ago and said was a "good" one so I just assumed it was) was only up to 1002 mhz. So today I went and bought a new one (I would link what I got but I don't have a high enough post count to post links, but you can find it on walmart.com it is the GE Digital 2-Way Splitter Model #37623) that is up to 2.5ghz (from 5mhz). That should work with MoCA, right?

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is there some specific type of splitter I need to get? Stupid tuning adapter ruining my life.

Last edited by grelca : 03-18-2013 at 08:05 PM.
grelca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelca View Post
Okay so I've got the adapter all set up and it works to get the MoCA signal into my bedroom through the coax wall plate already in there. Unless I put a cable splitter between the wall and the TiVo.

This works:

wall ------ TiVo

This doesn't work:

Code:
                 ----- tuning adapter
                /
wall ----- splitter
                \
                 ----- TiVo
Yesterday I noticed the splitter I've had (that Cox gave me a year ago and said was a "good" one so I just assumed it was) was only up to 1002 mhz. So today I went and bought a new one (I would link what I got but I don't have a high enough post count to post links, but you can find it on walmart.com it is the GE Digital 2-Way Splitter Model #37623) that is up to 2.5ghz (from 5mhz). That should work with MoCA, right?

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is there some specific type of splitter I need to get? Stupid tuning adapter ruining my life.
I assume you have a P4 or xl4. I have an xl4 and have it set per your diagram. Works with the 5-1002 splitter. You've gone into settings and specified MOCA?

Also, what do you mean by doesn't work? No channels or everything fine but adapter doesn't show MOCA and/or TiVo showing no Internet connection warning?
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
grelca

Yeah, I got a P4 earlier this month with the MoCA adapter/Stream bundle. The only thing that doesn't work with the splitter in my setup is the internet connection to the TiVo. The TiVo says there's a network cable unplugged and the coax light on the adapter doesn't light. Everything else works normally. The internet connection is the only difference.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelca View Post
Yeah, I got a P4 earlier this month with the MoCA adapter/Stream bundle. The only thing that doesn't work with the splitter in my setup is the internet connection to the TiVo. The TiVo says there's a network cable unplugged and the coax light on the adapter doesn't light. Everything else works normally. The internet connection is the only difference.
When I initially set mine up, I had the same problem. I rebooted the TA and my router simultaneously and it fixed it I don't know which worked, I guess I should have done them separately. Have you tried this?
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
grelca

Yeah, they have both been. Tomorrow I'm gonna see if switching the MoCA channel might help. Can't right now because my parents are sleeping so I can't go in and flip the config switch on the adapter.

I wonder if Cox would give me a list of which channels are SDV and I could know when I needed the tuning adapter and only use it when I need it :P
Old 03-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
grelca

Well my brother came over today and I basically said screw it and got him to feed an ethernet cable into my bedroom. Sick of trying to figure out what's wrong.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
chrisc12

Hi - I just received a Premiere with MoCA adapters and spent a lot of time trying to get this to work. Good news is I was finally able to get internet through MoCA to continue the guided setup. Bad news is that when it was asking me which cable lineup I had and checking channel numbers there were no images being shown like there is no signal.

My set up has gone like this:

Wall -------2 way Splitter
line to Cable HD STB
chrisc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
chrisc12

Sorry didn't finish - from 2 way splitter 1 line goes to Cable HD STB and 1 goes to another 2 way split which then has 1 go to MoCA and 1 to Tuning Adapter. The Tuning adapter was the one that then went to the TiVo which caused the no images issue. I then figured the issue was that the signal needed to come from the MoCA as opposed to the Tuning Adapter and then changed the whole config to put the MoCA after the 2nd splitter I referenced but before the Tuning Adapter and then put the cable out from the MoCA adapter to the Cable in on the Tuning adapter and the cable out from the Tuning adapter to the cable in on the TiVo. Not sure what I am doing wrong but could use some help. And I apologize for not being able to draw out the diagrams
Old 06-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
chrisc12

I should also clarify that the reason I have a cable HD STB is that I am plugging that into a separate input on my AV Receiver so I can get HBO On Demand, SHO On Demand, etc....