TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Gerryex

True Blood - "Who Are You, Really?" 6/16

What, no thread yet.

I thought it was a very good beginning of the season. I thought I recognized the actor playing Warlow and I confirmed it at IMDb - Rutger Houer!

I just knew when Sookie and Jessica got to the house Bill would be back to his more "normal' looking self. But he now has powers that even he does not know about. And surprise surprise - He can't be killed with a wooden stake! I wonder if any of the other "true death" methods would work on him: silver bullets or beheading (are there any others?)

Anyway, I'm quite glad that its back!!!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
astrohip
Stuart F

I too thought it was a strong beginning. It was fun to see so many of the ongoing characters together at one time, in one place. I think when they piled out of that van/SUV, they had Sookie, Taravamp, Eric, Jessica, Pam, Nora and whoever I've forgotten.

So this season will be about discovering Bill's power? Can silver stop him? Can *anything* stop him?

I'm not sure where the Rutger Hauer story will go, but he seems a perfect fit for a story like True Blood.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
I wonder if any of the other "true death" methods would work on him: silver bullets or beheading (are there any others?)
Burning. That's how they supposedly killed Lilith. I doubt anything else could work, since we already saw him survive being turned into a puddle of goo.

Maybe they could freeze him with liquid nitrogen and then take him to a steel mill and drop him into molten steel.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm not sure where the Rutger Hauer story will go, but he seems a perfect fit for a story like True Blood.
Yes, the Warlow storyline has caught my interest as well.

I hope the Jason sees his dead parents storyline finishes soon. That one is annoying. Especially since he has not told Sookie about it and she has not figured it out, which is out of character for both of them.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I too thought it was a strong beginning. It was fun to see so many of the ongoing characters together at one time, in one place. I think when they piled out of that van/SUV, they had Sookie, Taravamp, Eric, Jessica, Pam, Nora and whoever I've forgotten.
I was a little surprised that all those blood-soaked characters didn't ever take a shower.

Together.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Spoiler:
As far as Bill's power, from previews at the end of the show it looks like he does not need an invitation to enter a house and he may even be able to go out in the sun.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post

Burning. That's how they supposedly killed Lilith. I doubt anything else could work, since we already saw him survive being turned into a puddle of goo.
But we were shown him standing calmly in the midst of the flames of the burning building, as the crew made their getaway. The fire didn't seem to bother him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
But we were shown him standing calmly in the midst of the flames of the burning building, as the crew made their getaway. The fire didn't seem to bother him.
I saw him standing near the flames, not actually in them. He probably got burned a bit getting out, but we know even regular vampires can survive flames for a short time (for example, Bill and Eric got a little cooked when that witch tried to burn them at the stake).

When I talk about burning him to kill him, I mean some serious heat. Like a cremation oven, at a minimum.

Last edited by john4200 : 06-18-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
pmyers

Jason was actually back to being interesting for about 10 minutes when he was standing up to Erik and his sister...but then went back to being a stooge pretty quickly.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
busyba
The Funcooker

Did anyone spend more than even 5 seconds not realizing that Rutger Hauer was Warlow?

I mean, besides Jason.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Did anyone spend more than even 5 seconds not realizing that Rutger Hauer was Warlow?
I recognized him the moment he spoke, and then I was surprised I did not recognize him earlier. Good casting choice, I think.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I was thinking, "How often is it that Rutger Hauer is the second-craziest person in the car?"
Old 06-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
pmyers

I had no idea who the actor was but I knew it was Warlow.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Went from "why do we bother still watching this crap?" during the recap to, "Oh, I actually kind of like it so far!"

If HBO wants to have their highest rated program ever they just need to have a show focused on Alcide (in the nude) and all of his female minions (in the nude). Pretty much everyone wins.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
SoBelle0
What's next?

I thought it was Sookie's grandpa, the fairy.

Then got confused when he was so cryptic and menacing sounding to Jason.

I'm really excited about this season.
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #16
cheesesteak
Meh.

It's good to be the pack leader.

Can normal vampires fly on this show? It looked like Eric and his sister took off at one point. I know Bill flew but he's been superized.

No matter how weird or goofy this show gets, Lafayette is awesome.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Can normal vampires fly on this show? It looked like Eric and his sister took off at one point. I know Bill flew but he's been superized.
We've seen older vampires fly before. Eric's done it a couple of times.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #18
Shaunnick

I only have known three so far, Edgerington, Eric, and Nora, to fly. Bill would be the fourth.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
pmyers

I have not read the books:

But is anybody else waiting for Jason to turn into a panther or something? I can't believe they focused so much on that story line a couple of seasons ago for nothing. I just keep waiting and waiting.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
Rickvz
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I have not read the books:

But is anybody else waiting for Jason to turn into a panther or something? I can't believe they focused so much on that story line a couple of seasons ago for nothing. I just keep waiting and waiting.
I've read all but the last two books but the HBO series has strayed far from the books. I expected more from the storyline you mentioned as well but at this point it looks like they've moved on and will ignore it.

Loved Lafayette's asking if the little girl wanted "something deep fried, dipped in sugar, and fried again".
Rickvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #21
nirisahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBelle0 View Post
I thought it was Sookie's grandpa, the fairy.

Then got confused when he was so cryptic and menacing sounding to Jason.

I'm really excited about this season.
Spoiler:
The same actor is playing both

nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #22
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Are you guys kidding me with this show. It's done a total 180 since episode one. If this was show on SYFY no one here would watch it. IMHO last season 'jumped the shark' and this episode proves it. Watching Sookie run around with a glow worm in her hand is just plain silly. I'm getting out with good memories of the old TB. Don't be surprised if Kevin Beacon makes an appearance.

I hope I turn out to be wrong later on, this was one of 'goto' shows in years gone by.
TiVoXL4 - 2TB (1TB external)
Cablevision Raritan Valley, NJ
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #23
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
Are you guys kidding me with this show. It's done a total 180 since episode one. If this was show on SYFY no one here would watch it. IMHO last season 'jumped the shark' and this episode proves it. Watching Sookie run around with a glow worm in her hand is just plain silly. I'm getting out with good memories of the old TB. Don't be surprised if Kevin Beacon makes an appearance.

I hope I turn out to be wrong later on, this was one of 'goto' shows in years gone by.
Can you please pick up your threadcrap and put it in a baggie? thanks!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #24
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
OK, it's picked up and bagged. Consider it removed.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

In my condo building, there are dog-crap baggie dispensers at the exits. Maybe we should put some of those up around here?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #26
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Wait...you read a joke about something you did, were not offended, and joked about it?

is this your first day on the Internet?
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #27
john4200

Quote:
Now, light it on fire and leave it on Anubys' porch.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #28
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Big Grin

Quote:
Wait...you read a joke about something you did, were not offended, and joked about it?

is this your first day on the Internet?
Hey it's a popular show, my opinion is my own. No I wasn't offended about what Anubys said people, its just talk about TV. No reason to get hypersensitive. There must be stuff I like that he does not.
For instance a serious drama like Man VS Food...Pro or Con? (Just kidding of course)
Old 06-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #29
Shaunnick

Quote:
I don't consider what he said to be a thread crap. I made a similar complaint in another thread here. It is not the same show it used to be, at least not for me. I still watch it because my wife does and right now I have no better alternative on a Sunday night.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #30
LlamaLarry

I think I am done with the Jason Anti-Vampire Zealot and the dead parents thing and a little annoyed that Sookie the mind reader chooses now to be respectful of someone else's thoughts.

Why did Sookie rescind her invite to Eric? Surely she knows that she cannot go back to "the way things were" and I would think having a vampire that cares about your wellbeing would be an asset you'd like to have handy. BTW, does "Eric, help me!" count as an invitation? Sookie will surely be in need of that shortly.

I know other makers have not had an issue banging it out with their progeny, but if Bill and Jessica get it on that will be a little creepy for me. He has always had a more fatherly role with her than Eric and Pam and even tucked Jessica into bed (complete with the 'don't let the bedbugs bite'). I prefer more sexy Jess, but not with Billith.

WTF happened to Luna? I rewatched the previous season's finale prior to the episode, so I saw her hacking out blood right about the time she shifted from Steve Newlin, but did not know why and now don't know why she died and saddled Sam with a useless child character.

Here's to hoping that the 6 half fae girls grow up a leave the party next episode.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote