TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
mwhip
All better

What other TV shows need a fan funded movie?

Friday Night Lights? That would be interesting. Movie--> TV Show --> Movie

Dead Like Me? Oh wait they got one it sucked.

Pushing Daises? Is there enough of a fan following?

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Alfer
WOOSAH!

I vote none.

I don't see why anyone besides a few rabid fans would even care about, for example, that Veronica show. Yet alone pay good money to "fund" it. Even if it gets made, it will be a total failure at the box office. Their better off just dumping it to straight to DVD.

We really liked PD, but it had it's time and it was fun while it lasted, but its time is long gone and there is no need to try to resurrect it.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Jebberwocky!

Stargate ________
Firefly/Serenity
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
markp99
TakoKichi

Pushing Daisies
Wonderfalls
Joan of Arcadia
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

FNL already has some momentum for a movie I thought?

Pushing Daisies was a fun show but it faded in quality a lot by the end. I'll pass.

My vote is for Deadwood. It's going to cost a lot of money to rebuild that set and get all of the actors back from Justified.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
My vote is for Deadwood. It's going to cost a lot of money to rebuild that set and get all of the actors back from Justified.
I agree would love a Deadwood movie. I would just love at some point in existence to see Graham Yost and David Milch work together.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
I vote none.

I don't see why anyone besides a few rabid fans would even care about, for example, that Veronica show. Yet alone pay good money to "fund" it. Even if it gets made, it will be a total failure at the box office. Their better off just dumping it to straight to DVD.

We really liked PD, but it had it's time and it was fun while it lasted, but its time is long gone and there is no need to try to resurrect it.
I agree. Might be fun to have a movie of some of these shows, but generally whenever movies are made of TV shows, they suck. I'd rather leave the memories of the great shows I've enjoyed, and go back and watch them if I want to.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
cheesesteak
Meh.

Zero Hour. It was so dumb, it probably would have been a movie blockbuster.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Friday Night Lights? That would be interesting. Movie--> TV Show --> Movie
From the book to the Movie to the TV show it got progressively worse, I don't see another movie improving anything.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
Cainebj

Buffy
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

As was touched on in another thread, there are very few series where this sort of project would work on, other than Veronica Mars.

Firefly definitely could use more - but as Joss has chimed in, it would require everyone, including himself, becoming available, which is a monumental feat. It would also require a mind-bogglingly large fan funding project that would have to be at least 15x the size of the VM project.

Chuck felt like it ended too soon... but I don't think a single TV movie would do the show justice. Besides, they definitely were able to put together a coda to the series, and a continuance after that wouldn't feel right.

Buffy? No. Sorry, the last two seasons on UPN were a bit of a slog to get through, and besides, "Buffy the 30-Something Vampire Slayer" just doesn't have the same appeal/interest.

Dead Like Me, despite the really crappy movie, actually opened up some interesting doors at the end of it. I'd actually be interested in seeing another movie... but get *all* the original cast together. Sorry, but the replacement for Daisy Adair was AWFUL. The problem is - can the undead age? If not, they'd have some real problems.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
You don't get what is going on here. Because it is fully fan-funded, it doesn't necessarily have to do *anything* at the box office. It will (almost) break even from day one, thanks to the fans. I say almost, because WB is chipping in for promotion and distribution of the movie. Production will be paid for by the fans.

You are a little right, in that I'm sure that the people who do go to see it in the theater will be a rather limited core fan base of the show, and given that I'd have rather seen them focus on doing a direct-to-video release. If WB wants to pay for distributing and marketing the limited release to theaters, that's their business I guess. I think they're just experimenting, seeing what would happen. For them, even if the (under $1m, I'd expect) marketing/distribution doesn't net *anything* in terms of attendance, I expect they can just write it off as a trial balloon of this sort of thing, and they won't feel the least bad about it.

I think if there are future fan-funded campaigns, direct-to-video will probably the route they take.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

It won't almost break even from day one. Studio math dictates that it will virtually bankrupt the company even if it has a bigger box office than the Avengers.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
getreal
postcrastinator

Fans becoming investors in a movie production of their favorite show would be like starting a business with your girlfriend ... it would kill the romance & destroy the relationship.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
doom1701
I blue myself!

I've got two, but both would take a considerable amount of money, and one has little to no chance of getting much attention:

1. Battlestar Galatica. Either the continuation of the original that Richard Hatch wanted to do, or a pseudo reboot of the Sci-Fi show where they pull a Bobby Ewing and pretend that everything after mid season 3 was a dream sequence.

2. Earth Final Conflict, either as a reboot that takes the concepts of Season 1 (before it got really bad) and retells them, or as a Bobby Ewing and pretend that everything including and after the finale of Season 1 was a dream.

Both would require a pretty significant FX budget, though. Had crowdsourcing been around when Richard Hatch was trying to get his BSG continuation off the ground, though I think it would have had a chance.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #16
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
You don't get what is going on here. Because it is fully fan-funded, it doesn't necessarily have to do *anything* at the box office. It will (almost) break even from day one, thanks to the fans.
At 2-3 million, you also have to thank the actors for working for scale (union minimums).

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
andyw715

Season 1 of Heroes
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
jradosh
Newlywed

I'll go along with "Deadwood"

maybe even "The Wire" (though it would be hard to top the memories of the series).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
I vote none.

Classic Alfer post, and right on schedule as the first reply in the thread. Well done!

There are many things wrong with your comment, but I'll simply observe that it seems to have escaped you that every movie you see and every TV show you watch you have helped fund.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #20
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
From the book to the Movie to the TV show it got progressively worse, I don't see another movie improving anything.
What? The TV show was *way* better than the movie.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #21
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Classic Alfer post, and right on schedule as the first reply in the thread. Well done!

There are many things wrong with your comment, but I'll simply observe that it seems to have escaped you that every movie you see and every TV show you watch you have helped fund.
Yeah, that was such a classic example of Alfering. I just skipped right on by.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #22
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Dead Like Me, despite the really crappy movie, actually opened up some interesting doors at the end of it. I'd actually be interested in seeing another movie... but get *all* the original cast together. Sorry, but the replacement for Daisy Adair was AWFUL. The problem is - can the undead age? If not, they'd have some real problems.
Given how long Daisy and Rube, at least, were suppose to have been undead it's pretty clear they're not suppose to be aging.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #23
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Cop Rock

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #24
Craigbob

Firefly of course but not likely to happen do to Joss's and everyone else's busy schedule.

For me though the holy grail would be a big screen Babylon 5 movie. I know JMS has some ideas story wise, but there are a few problems with it.

1. Actors from the show are aging and in some cases have passed beyond the rim.
2. Redoing the effects from scratch would be hideously expensive. Yes there are fan made models out there they can use as a base, but I don't know if any are of the quality necessary for a big screen version.
3. Joe is a very busy guy these days but I can see it coming under his new venture. But it would be more money than I think Kickstarter can be used to raise.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #25
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Firefly got its movie. And it was good. And the fans only had to pay for a ticket.

Friday Nigh Lights with the TV cast? Coach Taylor and Mrs. Coach and all that? Ehh.. I loved the show, but the show told good stories. What more is there to cover? What loose ends are there to tie up.

Firefly/Serenity is a good example of a TV show that ended before it could finish. Right now, I can't think of other shows. I haven't seen Veronica Mars (even if I do have the DVD set). I really ought to watch that.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #26
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Star Trek.

Oh, wait. They're already doing that.

http://startrekrenegades.com/home/

Edit:

Generally, I would not put much faith in a "fan" funded movie of a TV show.

How about a fan funded 24 movie?

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 03-18-2013 at 05:50 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #27
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Given how long Daisy and Rube, at least, were suppose to have been undead it's pretty clear they're not suppose to be aging.
It's not like the show was known for reality. They could easily explain that away with a line or two of dialogue. I mean a coompletely different actress played the blonde in the movie and the characters didn't even notice!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #28
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Blasphemy! The TV show was amazing. But it got five seasons and had a good ending that wrapped everyone's stories and put most of them in new places, so a movie would have to really be contrived to get them all back together.
Quote:
As was touched on in another thread, there are very few series where this sort of project would work on, other than Veronica Mars.

Firefly definitely could use more - but as Joss has chimed in, it would require everyone, including himself, becoming available, which is a monumental feat. It would also require a mind-bogglingly large fan funding project that would have to be at least 15x the size of the VM project.

Chuck felt like it ended too soon... but I don't think a single TV movie would do the show justice. Besides, they definitely were able to put together a coda to the series, and a continuance after that wouldn't feel right.

Buffy? No. Sorry, the last two seasons on UPN were a bit of a slog to get through, and besides, "Buffy the 30-Something Vampire Slayer" just doesn't have the same appeal/interest.

Firefly got its movie.

Chuck got five seasons, more than it really deserved, thanks to NBC's woes, and S5 was pretty bad. I don't think there are a lot of fans clamoring for more or wishing that the story had continued.

Buffy lasted longer than most series. It's probably in the top 2-3% of all TV shows as far as longevity.

Don't know much about DLM. Don't know if it has a cult following or needed more story.

The shows I'd really like to see continued would be Journeyman and Traveler, but I realize they don't have the fan following necessary to launch a successful movie-funding campaign. But as far as TV shows that I've watched in the last 10+ years that I wanted to see how they continued, those would be the top two.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #29
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Firefly got its movie.
And because it got one means it can't get any more?
Quote:
Chuck got five seasons, more than it really deserved, thanks to NBC's woes, and S5 was pretty bad. I don't think there are a lot of fans clamoring for more or wishing that the story had continued.
You'd be surprised. I didn't think S5 was that bad overall... perhaps not as good as it was in the beginning, but still enjoyable. Having Chuck's character develop to the point that he was in season 5 more than made up for the other rough edges the season had.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #30
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

you can get more, but if fan bois want to self fund, spread the love around.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote