TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
ragu0012

Streaming over cellular LTE

Does anyone know if the Tivo app will soon allow streaming over LTE or other cellular connections? Way faster than public wi-fi! This is ridiculous and I would not have purchased a Tivo Stream had I known!
ragu0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

They originally said there was going to be an update for this in early 2014. We have yet to see it. Apparently Apple has weird restrictions on streaming over cellular. The app has to include a wide range of dynamic bitrate options including one that drops it down to audio only.

There is a workaround though. You can download over cellular and you can start watching a download immediately. So as long as you don't need to scrub around a lot it works OK.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

I find it funny how I can't stream over LTE, but today I turned my wife's iPhone 5S into a WiFi hotspot then connected my phone to her phone so I could stream a Dora the Explorer episode for our daughter. Couldn't stream directly on a phone, but could stream through LTE over WiFi. Ridiculous. It obviously has the bandwidth to support a good quality stream. TiVo needs to enable this feature, but I'm sure there is some weird regulation preventing it.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

As I said it's an Apple requirement. They require streaming apps that use LTE to have more quality levels, including one that is audio only, before they will allow LTE streaming. TiVo obviously hasn't updated the Stream to support those extra quality levels yet which is why LTE streaming hasn't been enabled.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
donsullivan

This is starting to feel like this feature is vapor-ware for iOS. It was announced as a 'coming-soon' feature last year when I came back to TiVo (bought my first TiVo in 1999) and bought a couple of Roamio's and 3-Mini's.

Now a year later not a word has been spoken about it and to make matters worse, they've release it on Android and still no update on iOS support that was announce a year ago.

Blaming it on Apple (while I understand they have requirements) is kind of a cop-out since there are countless other apps/products out there for iOS that have been able to meet the requirements for years and work fine over LTE. I know it will not happen here but it would be nice for TiVo to offer some sort of an update given that it has been a year since they announced the feature and it's still not available.
donsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
caughey

If you think waiting a year between a feature announcement and feature realization is a long time, you're not used to TiVo timelines. Remember Android streaming was announced as a "coming soon" feature when you were already streaming. It does work really well, so I hope you get to enjoy it soon.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:03 AM   #7
JWhites

I get the sense the next hiccup is going to somehow be blamed on the carrier itself.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
donsullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughey View Post
If you think waiting a year between a feature announcement and feature realization is a long time, you're not used to TiVo timelines. Remember Android streaming was announced as a "coming soon" feature when you were already streaming. It does work really well, so I hope you get to enjoy it soon.
I can't believe that TiVo customers consider that acceptable. I had migrated to DTiVo's and then dropped TiVo completely 8+ years ago despite having been an early adopter in 1999.

So as a TiVo customer do I just have to accept that even if they announce a feature, I may never actually see that feature realized? How do they avoid false advertising claims if that is the experience they deliver?
Old 10-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
lpwcomp

You can stream over LTE using the Android app.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
JWhites

Ouch, talk about bittersweet.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
bradleys
It'll be fine....

IOS has a work around - start a download and after a few moments you can begin to watch the stream.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #12
caughey

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsullivan View Post
I can't believe that TiVo customers consider that acceptable. I had migrated to DTiVo's and then dropped TiVo completely 8+ years ago despite having been an early adopter in 1999.

So as a TiVo customer do I just have to accept that even if they announce a feature, I may never actually see that feature realized? How do they avoid false advertising claims if that is the experience they deliver?
You don't have to accept it, it's just reality. In a free market, you can always vote with your dollars, but there isn't much competition. It's actually been a really good year for TiVo, so you might feel better if you enjoy what they have achieved and not pine for things they haven't yet.

As for legal claims, search the forums for "class action". As I said things are much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
IOS has a work around - start a download and after a few moments you can begin to watch the stream.
So you can start a download over an LTE connection and then start watching that recording while it's downloading? That sounds a lot like streaming.

Quote:
Acceptance doesn't mean resignation; it means understanding that something is what it is and that there's got to be a way through it.
-- Michael J. Fox

caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You can stream over LTE using the Android app.
Yes. i did it for two hours yesterday when I was testing it out at work. It seemed to work great. Every time I checked I had seven dots of quality. I was streaming from my Roamio Pro at home to a Droid DNA using LTE on Verizon wireless.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Wink

Quote:

So you can start a download over an LTE connection and then start watching that recording while it's downloading? That sounds a lot like streaming.
It does, doesn't it?
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #15
donsullivan

Quote:
You don't have to accept it, it's just reality. In a free market, you can always vote with your dollars, but there isn't much competition. It's actually been a really good year for TiVo, so you might feel better if you enjoy what they have achieved and not pine for things they haven't yet.

Unfortunately in this 'free market' system they locked me into a one year commitment for the service and then didn't deliver features that were promised when that agreement was initiated. Voting with my dollars would result in a financial penalty to the customer.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:15 AM   #16
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes. i did it for two hours yesterday when I was testing it out at work. It seemed to work great. Every time I checked I had seven dots of quality. I was streaming from my Roamio Pro at home to a Droid DNA using LTE on Verizon wireless.
That's an amazing phone. I got it last year and it arrived with four stuck green pixels and Verizon didn't have it in stock to replace it so I ended up getting an iPhone.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #17
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Unfortunately in this 'free market' system they locked me into a one year commitment for the service and then didn't deliver features that were promised when that agreement was initiated. Voting with my dollars would result in a financial penalty to the customer.
Really? How? Cites?
Old 11-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
donsullivan

So my local cable company (Brighthouse Central Florida) just made this problem worse by Copy Protecting everything on the box so I can't download anything no matter where I am. Now without WiFi, I have no option without adding additional hardware like Slingbox that also doesn't work correctly due to HDCP error message on the screen all the time. Even when I pay for the service they won't let me use it.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #19
CharlesH

Quote:
So my local cable company (Brighthouse Central Florida) just made this problem worse by Copy Protecting everything on the box so I can't download anything no matter where I am. Now without WiFi, I have no option without adding additional hardware like Slingbox that also doesn't work correctly due to HDCP error message on the screen all the time. Even when I pay for the service they won't let me use it.
I use the component connection on my Sling to avoid the HDCP issue.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #20
donsullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
I use the component connection on my Sling to avoid the HDCP issue.
I do the same thing with the SlingBox on a Mini but since the TV is not turned on, it generates an HDCP error box on the screen all the time.

If you've found some way to suppress that I'd be very interesting in learning about that.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I do the same thing with the SlingBox on a Mini but since the TV is not turned on, it generates an HDCP error box on the screen all the time.

If you've found some way to suppress that I'd be very interesting in learning about that.
A lot of people have fixed this issue by connecting a cheap HDMI switch box between the Mini and the TV.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #22
vlaslow

I use a Sewell HDMI splitter and feed a KanexPro HDMI to Component out to the SlingBox HD PRo. A little Rube Goldberg, but works perfectly with my Mini.
vlaslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #23
Bigg

Have fun blowing through your bandwidth allotment!
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #24
donsullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Have fun blowing through your bandwidth allotment!
I happen to be one of the lucky few who still have the unlimited AT&T iPad plan from back in 2010, so at least right now that isn't a worry for me.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #25
Bigg

Quote:
I happen to be one of the lucky few who still have the unlimited AT&T iPad plan from back in 2010, so at least right now that isn't a worry for me.
And it's still a nonsensical use case. The whole Stream idea doesn't make much sense unless you're somehow outputting to a decent sized screen on the other end.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #26
donsullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
And it's still a nonsensical use case. The whole Stream idea doesn't make much sense unless you're somehow outputting to a decent sized screen on the other end.
I use this sort of service regularly for both personal and business travel and have done so for many years. It's not uncommon for hotel rooms to have only very limited TV channels and having access to my normal content (time shifted when appropriate) that I subscribe to at home when on the road is why I purchased the Stream. But since it comes with so many limitations and constraints it's proving less useful than I had hoped.

Just because you don't have a personal use-case for it does not make it non-sensical.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #27
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I use this sort of service regularly for both personal and business travel and have done so for many years. It's not uncommon for hotel rooms to have only very limited TV channels and having access to my normal content (time shifted when appropriate) that I subscribe to at home when on the road is why I purchased the Stream. But since it comes with so many limitations and constraints it's proving less useful than I had hoped.

Just because you don't have a personal use-case for it does not make it non-sensical.
This. Plus a lot of hotels have really sh*tty wifi so using your cellular data proivdes a better experience. I've gone on two big trips recently and on both of them I used my phone in hotspot mode to stream shows from my TiVo because the hotel wifi sucked to bad to provide a reliable experience.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #28
Bytez

I never had a fast, reliable wifi connection in any hotel I've been to.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #29
Bigg

Some hotels do have really good internet, but far more have really crappy internet. As of a couple years ago, many were still using T-1 lines, instead of cable. If they all had a fast business class cable connection and a good wifi network, they could support some serious aggregate throughput, but they don't seem to.

Given how bad the Wifi is, and how heavily capped LTE is, the use case still doesn't really make sense. WatchESPN works for not missing games, beyond that, TiVo Stream seems like a solution to a problem that no one asked for. When I get a Roamio, I'm sure I'll play with it, just to see how it works, but I doubt I'll touch it much, if ever. The WatchESPN app works better if I end up away from a TV when a game is on.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:58 AM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

I had a Slingbox prior to the Stream, so I had a use for a Stream before it existed. Sling worked OK, but the delay was maddening. FFing past commercials was nearly impossible. The Stream provides the same functionality with a better user experience. Although I live in an area where almost nothing is protected. I'm sure those with TWC have a different opinion of how useful it is.