TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Shows you are no longer enthusiatic about but still watch

I recorded the season premiere of Falling Skies last night and I realized, that I just don't really care about it. But I'll still watch, to see if it's worth watching still. The first two seasons I really looked forward to watching that series.

Are there shows that used to be one of your favorites but now, you are just kind of watch because you always have?

BTW, we might have had this thread before. Sorry about that if it is.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
supasta

Mad Men.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
andyw715

Revolution.

My wife watches it, I do as well, but also play on the iPad while I watch.

This is true for many of the show in my NPL.

Person of Interest, Defiance, and The Americans are the only shows that I actually "watch".
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I guess the one I always remember turning up here was ER. Lots of folks kinda stuck with it, even though most thought the last few seasons were not that great.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
Revolution.

My wife watches it, I do as well, but also play on the iPad while I watch.

This is true for many of the show in my NPL.

Person of Interest, Defiance, and The Americans are the only shows that I actually "watch".
Revolution definltely belongs on this list for me. I really looked forward to each week before the hiatus. But over that time, I just kind of lost interest. I still watched the second half of the season, but not sure if I'm coming back next year.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Jstkiddn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I guess the one I always remember turning up here was ER. Lots of folks kinda stuck with it, even though most thought the last few seasons were not that great.
Grey's Anatomy as well. Although I bailed a few years back, I have a friend that is still hanging in there.

I would have to say for me it is Survivor and Idol. I watch but continually ask myself....why?
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
Grey's Anatomy as well. Although I bailed a few years back, I have a friend that is still hanging in there.
House was like that for me. I hung in much longer than it was worth. No Idea why.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Castle.

I was short on hard disk space, and dumped the season finale to make room for something else. I haven't killed the SP yet, but if I heard that ABC had cancelled it, I'd be more happy that the actors could move on to something else than sad that the show was gone.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
allan
I survived the Mayan

Revolution is borderline. I still like it, and plan to watch it next season, but I'm not as enthused as I was, and I can't see it remaining good past next season.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Castle.

I was short on hard disk space, and dumped the season finale to make room for something else. I haven't killed the SP yet, but if I heard that ABC had cancelled it, I'd be more happy that the actors could move on to something else than sad that the show was gone.
Too bad you dumped the season finale!

ABC announced that it had renewed Castle for a 6th season on May10, 2013. Ratings have been steadily going up since the show started. It is now in the top 20.

A great and refreshing show!
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

True Blood, next week, is what comes to mind immediately.

I never really cared about Falling Skies. If anything, I began liking it more as it went on.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Burn Notice.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Supernatural. Funny when I do watch it I enjoy it, but I do have like 11 episodes piled up.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Burn Notice.
That's another one....although I did like the season opener.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
I would have to say for me it is Survivor and Idol. I watch but continually ask myself....why?
I think with shows like that, there's always hope you'll get a memorable season, because the different "players' can make or break a season. I actually quit a season of Big Brother because of one player, Rachel, who just ruined the previous season she was on for me. When I heard she was on before, I didn't bother watching. But I came back last season and I thought it was one of the more memorable seasons, and looked forward to watching each night it was on. Survivor is that way for me too. If I like that season's cast, I'll look forward to watching each week. If the cast is boring...then yeah, I watch, but only out of habit.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #16
astrohip
Stuart F

I differentiate between "Shows you are no longer enthusiatic about but still watch", and shows I am not actively watching, but still record, in case my interest revives. Yeah, I'm kinda anal/OCD in my TV watching.

Simpson's fits the first category. I still watch it, but with a lack of enthusiasm. But I keep up, and eps don't stack up on the TiVo. I don't have many series that fall into this group, because...

If I'm not that enthralled with them, I usually just delete the SP. Revolution, Once Upon a Time, Body of Proof fall into this category.

I do have a few I am still recording, and haven't decided if I want to start watching again, or delete the SP and the recorded episodes. Falling Skies is one of these.

I have entire mental filing cabinets of categorized TV shows, and yet can't remember the names of half the people I meet. Priorities, ya' know.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
mwhip
All better

Dexter, True Blood and Revolution.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #18
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I differentiate between "Shows you are no longer enthusiatic about but still watch", and shows I am not actively watching, but still record, in case my interest revives. Yeah, I'm kinda anal/OCD in my TV watching.

Simpson's fits the first category. I still watch it, but with a lack of enthusiasm. But I keep up, and eps don't stack up on the TiVo. I don't have many series that fall into this group, because...

If I'm not that enthralled with them, I usually just delete the SP. Revolution, Once Upon a Time, Body of Proof fall into this category.

I do have a few I am still recording, and haven't decided if I want to start watching again, or delete the SP and the recorded episodes. Falling Skies is one of these.

I have entire mental filing cabinets of categorized TV shows, and yet can't remember the names of half the people I meet. Priorities, ya' know.
I find it a lot easier to delete a series that I used to like that's non serialized than one with stand alone episodes. So shows like ER and Desperate Housewives I watched until the end, even though I was way past my excitement for the show. Shows like sitcoms, I could just remove if I get bored of them.

Although I did just remove 40 something episodes of Breaking Bad, I knew I would never watch.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #19
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
Mad Men.
+1.

Psych

Wipeout

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #20
tonestert

Bones, CSI, NCIS. I have a bunch of un-watched episodes on my Tivo.
tonestert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Community

Two and a Half Men
Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
grey ghost

Grey's Anatomy and I will never watch another Shondra Rhymes show because of the way it was written
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #23
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
I recorded the season premiere of Falling Skies last night and I realized, that I just don't really care about it. But I'll still watch, to see if it's worth watching still. The first two seasons I really looked forward to watching that series.

Are there shows that used to be one of your favorites but now, you are just kind of watch because you always have?

BTW, we might have had this thread before. Sorry about that if it is.
I have the entire second season of Falling Skies on my Tivo.

Untouched.

Now Season 3 has started to record.

I am tempted to just bail on the whole thing. Don't ask me why I haven't deleted it...
Old 06-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

The shows I watch because I always have is a much much longer list than the list of shows I watch because they are dang good entertainment even after multiple seasons have come and gone.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #25
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post

Untouched.

I am tempted to just bail on the whole thing. Don't ask me why I haven't deleted it...
The thing with Falling Skies is that the first season it was fun and different. The second season every week it just seemed the same. Either they were hunting for the aliens are the aliens were threatening them. There was a story to move forward which always seemed secondary to zapping more aliens, but I won't get into that here since you didn't see it. This season, probably more of the same. I'll probably watch the premiere tonight and see if it's any more interesting. It's a summer show, so it only takes up 45 minutes of my more wide open week.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #26
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I had been like that with Falling Skies, too. Season 2 had recorded, then fallen off the DVR with other stuff recording. I set it to record the season 2 re-airing that had taken place recently (a couple of episodes a night for a few weeks or something like that).

I watched all of that this weekend, and taking into account having to download a couple of eps from On Demand because the NBA playoffs delayed things and messed me up, I actually enjoyed it and was glad I watched. I am recording Season 3, and hope it doesn't take me as long to get around to watching as it did Season 2.

For me, the show that fits this thread is How I Met Your Mother. When I finally do get around to watching an ep, I always wonder why I bother and have the 'come on! get on with it!' thoughts. The characters pretty much bore me, and I don't find Barney funny anymore.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #27
changk

Quote:
Falling Skies was one of them for me. Even in the first season, I found myself fast forwarding with the closed captioning enabled during the non-action scenes. Midway in to season 2 I realized that it was kind of pointless for me to be doing that, so I deleted the Season Pass.

I have the second half of the season's episodes for Once Upon a Time and The Following on my TiVo now. I'll watch 2-3 episodes in a sitting, then later move on to something else and kind of forget about it. So, I keep looking at those in my Now Playing List and wonder if I should watch the rest, or just delete them. It's conflict between "I've watched them this far, and am at least somewhat interested in seeing how the season ends" and "If it feels like a chore to watch them, why watch?"
changk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #28
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

HIMYM.. man is that at the top of that list for me,
Arrow
Person of Interest
Old 06-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #29
mrdazzo7

Funny, we were talking about this at work today because everyone's bummed out now that the season is over. Everyone seems to have shows they watch during the summer, but nothing they get psyched about.

First thing I can think of is True Blood... I will probably watch it but it's absolutely because there's nothing else on. It has always been a little too "soapy" for my tastes but earlier seasons had enough violence, sex, mystery, and relatively credible storytelling that I was able to look past the love trapezoids that formed in every episode. But last season was almost impossible to get through, so it just depends on where they go with it this time.

The Following is another example - I think I was over it about half way through but there was nothing else on so I watched it. I can't be sure I'll be back for season two, but if no new shows "do it for me", I likely will.

The Americans... I like the show, but it never hit "must watch" status for me. I have the last five episodes saved up because I figured I would burn them off in the Summer during the TV drought... but the fact that I could wait months to watch it says I wasn't that into it. I heard good things about the last few eps so we'll see.

Homeland... I loved the first season of the show, but personally thought it didn't live up to itself with season two, especially with the way it ended (I liked ASPECTS of how it ended, but the aspects I didn't like overshadowed it for me). It's still better than a lot of stuff out there so I'll definitely be turning in, but if it's like last season I'll probably have two or three weeks saved up at a time.

This thread is actually making me sad because there's so little out there that I'm psyched about each week... even the Walking Dead was like "meh, I'll watch it this week some time...". I can't wait for Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy to come back, those are the only two that I have to watch the day of or the next day at most.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #30
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Although I did just remove 40 something episodes of Breaking Bad, I knew I would never watch.
You just made a HUGE mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post

Untouched.

Ditto. I enjoyed S1, but just never got around to watching S2. And now my TiVo says:

Falling Skies (11)

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote