TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
ripper99
Series II User

kmttg for Western Digital WD TV Live Hub to high-def TV?

Despite that extra weaKnees space on one of my old TiVo Series2 units I need to offload some programming, while at the same time I have a friend offering a Western Digital WD TV Live Hub. I’ve used a bunch of tools over the years to get things onto my Mac, usually grabbing things with a browser and doing conversions later, sometimes watching those 4GB movies turn into 30GB mov files after demuxing sound. During the TiVo Cookie Monster Scare in mid February (yes, got fixes) I looked at kmttg – and oh, man, that be a whole lot of decryption and conversion choices.

My desire is lossless final output aimed at high-def television, and I’m trying to sort past all the ipad and droid choices to figure out what kmttg option would be a good match for the WD TV Live Hub (which apparently won’t play MPEG2 directly) to my TV set. I was thinking maybe what I want is the “hb_television” setting (mkv/h.264/aac files) Am I getting warm? Better choice for a “high def TV set” final output?
ripper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
lpwcomp

1. Why do you think the WD Live TV Hub won't play MPEG2?

2. Why bother? Why not just use your TiVo to watch them?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
ripper99
Series II User

RE: Why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
1. Why do you think the WD Live TV Hub won't play MPEG2?
Saw user reports of difficulty with mpg .. e.g. goo.gl/Ic3Vc

A: I'm not leaving TiVo behind, it's been great for what it does and I've been using my units from 2002 and 2003 respectively. WD device offers consolidation of a library of diverse "keepers" of media in one menu (e.g. including ripped DVDs and other multimedia), ease of backup, and foremost, availability of the unit.
ripper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper99 View Post

A: I'm not leaving TiVo behind, it's been great for what it does and I've been using my units from 2002 and 2003 respectively. WD device offers consolidation of a library of diverse "keepers" of media in one menu (e.g. including ripped DVDs and other multimedia), ease of backup, and foremost, availability of the unit.
So does a TiVo with the proper s/w running on your PC, but mostly I was talking about the recordings acquired from the TiVo.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
moyekj

According to this, mpeg2 is supported, so if your files are coming from TiVo simply use kmttg to download and decrypt and keep them as mpeg2. That's the highest quality you can get since no transcoding needed.
Quote:
Media File Formats Supported on the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 1) (Based on Firmware Version 1.03.01)

Video -- WMV9, AVI (MPEG1/2/4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), MOV (MPEG4, H.264), M2TS, TP, TS, MOV/MP4 (MPEG4, h.264), DVR-MS, VOB (unprotected or unencrypted)

MPEG2/4, H.264, and WMV9 support up to 1920x1080p 24fps, 1920x1080i 30fps, 1280x720p 60fps resolution.
FLV file extensions are NOT supported. Neither are RMVB videos from Real Media. You will need to use conversion software to convert them to a supported format.
The WD TV HD Media Player only supports certain types of codecs based on the extension of your file. You can check the User Manual for a list of supported codecs for each file extension.
Would suggest you record a short (under 5 min) clip on your TiVo to test with.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
According to this, mpeg2 is supported, so if your files are coming from TiVo simply use kmttg to download and decrypt and keep them as mpeg2. That's the highest quality you can get since no transcoding needed.
My thought also but according to this, there might be audio problems.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
jcthorne

We use a WDTV in our motorhome. We specificly bought it because it was one of the few media players that would support the same mp4 files as Tivo. h.264/AC3 in a streamable MP4 container.

Yes the WDTV has trouble with high data rate mpeg2 files for HD. No trouble with SD resolution like DVD. h.264 video at full resolution works fine.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
janry

I believe I use kmttg and the older models of the WDTV Live much like the OP wants to, and I have no problems. Any recording I want to save long term, I transfer from the TiVo and store on my network as MPEG-2 files on my NAS along with some old movies and my collection of old football games. I then watch them at any of our 5 TV sets I'd like. Some stream with wireless N and others are connected to the network with powerline adapters. I use the WDTV Lives to connect to the NAS as network shares instead of as a media player (though that works also) as it seems the WDTV Lives are better able to mark stopping points when connecting as network shared files.

The OP should have no problem doing what he would like to.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
lpwcomp

If the only problems the WD unit has is with MPEG2 HD recordings, the OP should have no problem at all with recordings from his TiVos, since they are obviously not HD.