TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
Anonymike

PC sleep mode and Tivo server

I have a Desktop PC that has archived shows with a wired connection to my Tivo Premiere XL. I have the PC set to go into sleep mode after a while (saving the Earth -you're welcome) which should be fine. I wiggle a wireless mouse near my TV in the other room, and the PC wakes up.
I'm using Tivo desktop and for some reason, the woken computer doesn't show up on the Tivo "Now PLaying" screen unless I manually go to my PC and click "pause server", and then re-start it. Then it shows up instantly. But I'm curious if there's any way to not have to restart the Tivo server after sleep mode on the PC for it to show up in my Now Playing list.

Thoughts? Comments? Insults?
BTW - I've tried alternatives, and Tivo Desktop is the best software for me - so kmttg is not a solution.
Anonymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

KMTTG is not a Tivo server. An alternative to Tivo Desktop is PyTivo. you can just have the PC turn off the monitor (or blacken the screen) when its idle and not use sleep mode.

Another idea is to setup a Network Access Storage (NAS) on your network with PyTivo installed. This maybe a better 24/7 solution to get access to your videos albeit more expensive.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
ggieseke

If you have Windows 7 you can do some pretty tricky things with Task Scheduler by creating a task that's triggered by specific events. Look through your event logs for the specific source and event ID that happens when your PC wakes up, then create a task that would run a batch file.

The batch file could have the following two lines:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoServer.exe" /stop

"C:\Program Files (x86)\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoServer.exe" /service /registry /auto:TivoServer

You may need to adjust the actual path for your system. Leaving TiVoServer alone and just restarting Bonjour or TiVoBeacon might work too.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
msmart

Are your TiVo files on an external drive that may not "wake up" as fast causing the TiVoServer to think it's still offline?

I agree with ThAbtO, just turn off the monitor rather than use sleep mode, it's what I do.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymike View Post
I have a Desktop PC that has archived shows with a wired connection to my Tivo Premiere XL. I have the PC set to go into sleep mode after a while
It is a generally bad practice to ever sleep a server.

Quote:
(saving the Earth -you're welcome)
Not so much. Depending on the program requirements, a dedicated server can use as little as 10W, especially for something like pyTivo serving native files.

Quote:
I'm using Tivo desktop
Bad move.

Quote:
But I'm curious if there's any way to not have to restart the Tivo server after sleep mode on the PC for it to show up in my Now Playing list.
Simple solution: Use neither sleep mode nor TiVo Desktop.

Quote:
Insults?
Well, OK, if you insist...
You're ugly, and your mama dresses you funny.

Quote:
BTW - I've tried alternatives, and Tivo Desktop is the best software for me
I find that impossible to believe. TDT is such a lousy, badly broken program, I cannot imagine it being best under any circumstances. Not to put too fine a point on it, but you just yourself told us all it isn't meeting your needs.

Quote:
- so kmttg is not a solution.
'Not surprising, since kmttg does not handle the functionality you seek, at all. Kmttg is a TTG utility. You are talking about GoBack functionality, which is not what kmttg does.

Last edited by lrhorer : 06-29-2013 at 02:51 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Lately I run pyTivo on an old SSD netbook, with two large external USB drives for storage. The drives sleep most of the time, while the server stays up.

The TiVos are very finicky about recognizing servers on the network. There's probably no chance to do it the way you want, sorry. Although perhaps you could try using the "Manually add a server" function on the TiVos, and giving up auto-recognition?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote