TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
beeman65

Netflix - New Problem

I have a Premiere 4 with the 20.3.1 update (I will have to double check, but I believe so because I see MLB.TV is an app option now). For the past week I have had trouble Netflix. Up until that point, absolutely no problems with the app.

I will start streaming a movie or TV episode and the pause/play/up buttons do not do anything. The content will play fine, but when it is over I just get a black screen and I have to press the Tivo button to get back to the Tivo Menu. If I go back into Netflix, it loads and I can play content but the same issues happen. I have to reset the Tivo in order for Netflix to work properly again.

Has anyone else seen this issue?
beeman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
JWhites

Yup I'm seeing this exact issue on both my Premiere 4 and Premiere on 20.3.1. It usually happens halfway through a show either a half hour or one hour or longer. Also noticed that the subtitles freeze up during this time as well which can get annoying. I always end up having to "bail out" by using either the TiVo button, Live TV button, or Clear button, then go back into the app and pick up where I left off.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
SeaFractor

If it doesn't lock up, I also have the problem of not being able to select other episodes.

If I push the Tivo button and return home, I can go back into NetFlix and watch the next episode, but the load times make this a poor work around.
SeaFractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
celtic pride

Tivo is currently having problems with their servers! There another thread about this in the tivo help! thread .
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
Tivo is currently having problems with their servers! There another thread about this in the tivo help! thread .
Netflix is also down on all platforms as well.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
bobharp

An people wonder why I am leery of the 'cloud'. There has been a total lack of transparency about this outage. The Netflix twitter https://twitter.com/netflixfeed has been silent for 14 hours at the time of this post.

I wonder if the TiVo and Netflix issue are related?

If anyone else can dig up some news please post it.
TiVo Series3
TiVo Series4
bobharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobharp View Post
An people wonder why I am leery of the 'cloud'. There has been a total lack of transparency about this outage. The Netflix twitter https://twitter.com/netflixfeed has been silent for 14 hours at the time of this post.

I wonder if the TiVo and Netflix issue are related?

If anyone else can dig up some news please post it.
https://twitter.com/Netflixhelps
Quote:
Hi all- The issues reported earlier have been fixed. Our apologies - and thank you for your patience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
bobharp

Thanks moyekj. I'd still love to know more. Maybe they were stripping out all the PRISM sniffing TAPs.
TiVo Series3
TiVo Series4
bobharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
Separate issue though since the issue we've been experiencing started as far as I know after the 20.3.1 rollout.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
beeman65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Separate issue though since the issue we've been experiencing started as far as I know after the 20.3.1 rollout.
Yes, issue started after the rollout and has continued after the Tivo/Netflix this past weekend. Last night I had something on pause and Netflix stopped responding. Play, Pause, Up button..none of those did anything. I had to use the Tivo button to escape.

EDIT: I just talked to Tivo Support in a chat and the agent said this, "Matthew: That is a strange issue that has been an issue with some customers after the download.
Matthew: We are currently researching the issue in hopes of releasing a patch update to resolve any new bug issues.
Matthew: What you may want to try is unchecking Netflix in the Video Provider Listing in Channel Settings. Force a manual connection, and then recheck and try streaming from Netflix once more."

I will try that later on. At least they know about the issue.

Last edited by beeman65 : 06-17-2013 at 10:39 AM.
beeman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #11
copwriter

I'm having exactly the same problem.
copwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman65 View Post
Yes, issue started after the rollout and has continued after the Tivo/Netflix this past weekend. Last night I had something on pause and Netflix stopped responding. Play, Pause, Up button..none of those did anything. I had to use the Tivo button to escape.

EDIT: I just talked to Tivo Support in a chat and the agent said this, "Matthew: That is a strange issue that has been an issue with some customers after the download.
Matthew: We are currently researching the issue in hopes of releasing a patch update to resolve any new bug issues.
Matthew: What you may want to try is unchecking Netflix in the Video Provider Listing in Channel Settings. Force a manual connection, and then recheck and try streaming from Netflix once more."

I will try that later on. At least they know about the issue.

I had the exact same condition/problem yesterday.
Daughter left netflix paused for hours.. (luckily she shut off the TV) when we came back netflix came out of pause with the play, but then nothing worked.... except Tivo button... ( long wait for the app to shut down ).

The "fix" that they suggested is the standard song and dance for app/video provider problems. The next fix will be to unplug the tivo and wait for 30 seconds....
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Yup I'm seeing this exact issue on both my Premiere 4 and Premiere on 20.3.1. It usually happens halfway through a show either a half hour or one hour or longer. Also noticed that the subtitles freeze up during this time as well which can get annoying. I always end up having to "bail out" by using either the TiVo button, Live TV button, or Clear button, then go back into the app and pick up where I left off.
Seen this before and had the exact same issue last night June 17th.
Subtitles freeze. All controls freeze.
Even Clear does not get me out.

As a control I've switched to Netflix on my PS3 with universal remote, no problem. So it's a TiVo device or server problem.

Please fix as Netflix is unusable on TiVo.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
compnurd

Not having any netflix issues here... Been watching kid shows for 3-4 hours straight in the morning
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
tom gonzalez

I had a similar problem last night, Netflix video playing OK press pause, wait 10 seconds for video to pause, press play wait 10 seconds to play. Press TiVo button and black screen followed be reboot.
tom gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #16
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Seen this before and had the exact same issue last night June 17th.
Subtitles freeze. All controls freeze.
Even Clear does not get me out.

As a control I've switched to Netflix on my PS3 with universal remote, no problem. So it's a TiVo device or server problem.

Please fix as Netflix is unusable on TiVo.
Yeah I always used my ps3 for Netflix but with the amount of Netflix I use I was afraid of burning it out or wearing it out since it runs so hot and I figured I'd just use something that is already on (the TiVo). Then these issues started. The Bluetooth remote control for the ps3 is so responsive.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #17
timon0x31

TiVo admits there is a problem but give no timeline to get it fixed. Once they knew they had a problem they should have rolled back the newly released version rather than make everyone suffer till they get it fixed.

Tomorrow I'm demanding either they either roll mine back to the last revision or compensate me for it not working until it does. I'm not paying a full monthly fee when it's not working correctly. I don't think this is too much to ask.
timon0x31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #18
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by timon0x31 View Post
TiVo admits there is a problem but give no timeline to get it fixed. Once they knew they had a problem they should have rolled back the newly released version rather than make everyone suffer till they get it fixed.

Tomorrow I'm demanding either they either roll mine back to the last revision or compensate me for it not working until it does. I'm not paying a full monthly fee when it's not working correctly. I don't think this is too much to ask.
Good luck with that. I asked for the exact same thing last month and they told me the only thing they can offer is to do an exchange of your box with no promise that that box won't download the new software as well either at the setup phase or any point afterwards. I told them that there was no point in me paying for a service that isn't working correctly and that the company seems to have no plan on fixing anytime soon. They told me that I'm welcome to cancel my service however I would be charged for the rest of my subscription, which ends in April 2014. They told me I could either do an advanced exchange which would be for them to send me a new TiVo and put a charge on my credit card for the price of a new unit, send them the "broken" unit and then they'd release the charge when they received it. Or I could send them the "broken" unit first and once they received it, they'd send a new one and the whole process would take about two weeks. Two weeks of no TiVo which I'd still be paying for and again no promise the box wouldn't download the buggy software upon setup anyway.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #19
ImFeklhr

I am experiencing this problem still as of 6/25/13.
Frozen subtitles (which also appeared when this problem did; I never used subtitles before ever)
Can't pause.
Black screen when program is finished.

Luckily Tivo button is working to get me out, so I don't need to do a full restart, but this is getting annoying and fast.
ImFeklhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

I'm having the same problem. Has TiVo provided any updates?
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #21
jzdoc

netflix streaming controls

Has anyone had any luck fixing this problem yet? Both my boxes have it intermittently. It seems somewhat negated by performing some action midshow then the controls are often still on-line at the end, but I often have problems either way..then other times all is well.
jzdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #22
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuad View Post
I'm having the same problem. Has TiVo provided any updates?
TiVo emailed me that they opened a trouble ticket on this problem
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
Digital Man

I'm having this issue too. Luckily my TV also has Netflix so I've been just using that until Tivo/Netflix get this fixed.

DM
Digital Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #24
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
TiVo emailed me that they opened a trouble ticket on this problem
Cool. Please let us know what they say
Old 07-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #25
drcos
HD where available

Kinda the same problem, but the Premiere froze, then rebooted itself.
And Netflix had been looking OK (with the 1080p thing).
Old 07-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #26
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I have been afflicted with the same problems others have reported here, on all four Premiere (TCD746320) 2-tuner models.

I only know, because I checked. I'd given up on using TiVo for any online streaming services long ago, and have enjoyed it on both multiple Roku 2 XS devices, and WD TV Live products (the latter being the most advanced, and fastest to load/navigate/start playing).

I do check, after every update, if anything has changed, and/or improved, on my TiVos.

I consider using Netflix, Hulu Plus, and the other streaming services, cruel and unusual punishment, compared to how much better the experience is on ANY non-TiVo device, which has the same apps built-in to them.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #27
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

I don't use Hulu as far as streaming but for me the other streaming services have been fine. I use the YouTube app heavily and haven't had many issues, especially since they updated their app (which improved it GREATLY).

I wouldn't call using Netflix cruel and unusual punishment, but aside from from your dramatic description, it's definitely an inconvenience to restart the app periodically.

Each streaming service builds their own app for various devices like TiVo, Xbox, Smart TVs, etc. They aren't the same apps as you mentioned.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #28
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I don't use Hulu as far as streaming but for me the other streaming services have been fine. I use the YouTube app heavily and haven't had many issues, especially since they updated their app (which improved it GREATLY).

I wouldn't call using Netflix cruel and unusual punishment, but aside from from your dramatic description, it's definitely an inconvenience to restart the app periodically.

Each streaming service builds their own app for various devices like TiVo, Xbox, Smart TVs, etc. They aren't the same apps as you mentioned.
Should I find myself with ONLY TiVo to use, as it is the slowest & worst of any device I have, or have had, which can stream, in my experience, and the opinion I am entitled to have, and chose to share, "cruel and unusual punishment" is very accurate, in my experience/opinion.

You are wrong about one very big thing. The stand-alone (but FULLY DLNA compliant) WD TV Live line of products uses the SAME Netflix & Hulu Plus interfaces as the Premiere. There may still exist the matter of TiVo having to stream a different "asset" (technical name for the image file on the Netflix servers, required for TiVo to play Netflix titles), but I'm not sure if this has changed, since the big Netflix interface overhaul, long ago.

Unless you have actually used a WD TV Live product, you really can't state your opinion, as fact. Theories, opinions, and guesses, are great, just as long as you don't try to present them as facts.

I do agree that the implementations found in things like TVs, DVD/BD players, and Roku devices are all different. I'd still take any one of them, that I have tried, or owned, over using TiVo. WD TV products are the cream of the crop, and don't customize and/or cripple the interface, like other products do.

Have you, in fact, used a current hardware/firmware/software WD TV Live product, to add any weight, or a factual basis for lumping it in, with all these brand-customized products on the market, or did you just assume/guess it deserved to be lumped in with them?
Old 07-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #29
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I do agree that the implementations found in things like TVs, DVD/BD players, and Roku devices are all different.
This was my entire point... Thanks for making it. lol
Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #30
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
This was my entire point... Thanks for making it. lol
I do not concede defeat. You chose to focus on one line, ignore, or gloss over the rest, and I made my point, as well... Thanks for that. lol