TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Hcour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 558
Your Fav Big Brother Seasons? (No Spoilers Please)

I'm watching the current season and enjoying it. Not as good as Survivor, but entertaining. The only other season I've seen is the one where Rachel Reilly won (Season 13, I think). I'd like to watch some other seasons. Which do you recommend as the best? Thanks much!
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Alfer
WOOSAH!
 
Alfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Melmac
Posts: 30,175
I've watched every season and honestly, as much as I've enjoyed them as summer time killers, I can't think of a single season that stands out as being (re)-watchable. Heck I can't even recall a fraction of who all were in the older seasons other than the one BB seems to like to cram down our throats when they trot them out in the newer seasons.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,463
I'd recommend two seasons (although I can't remember which BB season they were). The first I'd recommend is S2 I think. This is the first Dr. Will season. To me, Dr. Will wrote the book on how to win Big Brother (or almost any of these types of shows for that matter). He was an expert at playing the social game while also being able to either win a competition or have his alliance win for him.

The second season is the first one with Dan. Dan, was just awesome to watch playing both sides of the house and Houdini-ing himself off the block. Edit: This was S10

I'll bet the popular consensus here will be the Kaysar-Janelle-Howie season, but I coldn't stand any of them, so for me it was not as good.

Last season was really good too, with the return of Dan.

I hated the Rachel Riley seasons, and even stopped watching the season you watched after it was apparent she was going to win.
__________________
Annoying Blurb

Last edited by Steveknj : 07-15-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
DancnDude
Thrice as nice
 
DancnDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Madison, WI, USA
Posts: 7,383
What Steve said is good. Also I liked the one with the "twin twist" (season 5?) where there was a set of twins switching off places in the house and playing as one player. I thought that was fun.
__________________
XBox Live Gamertag - DancnDude
Wii code - 5559-0767-1390-1788
DancnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
What Steve said is good. Also I liked the one with the "twin twist" (season 5?) where there was a set of twins switching off places in the house and playing as one player. I thought that was fun.
That was a good one too.

Season 6 was the one I thought would be the most popular one here, but not one I found. A lot of the genesis of the vindictive screaming matches we are seeing this season really started with S6. That was he most fractured house up until that point and maybe ever.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
jeff92k7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas area
Posts: 308
I enjoyed Big Brother Australia season 9 (last year). It showed a much more watchable way of structuring the game. It focused more on relationships and personal interactions, rather than the USA version that purposely arranges it to create as much drama as possible.

Everything is better, from the way they handle nominations (and aren't allowed to talk about it), to the games that, for the most part, were designed to have the house work together. (Love the naughty corner). Based on the audience size, the Australian version is WAY more popular than the USA version is.

I really wish the USA producers would take some lessons from the Australians on how to produce a decent big brother series.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Shaunnick
Registered User
 
Shaunnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,944
I enjoyed All Stars season and the season that had Eric as America's player.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
I enjoyed Big Brother Australia season 9 (last year). It showed a much more watchable way of structuring the game. It focused more on relationships and personal interactions, rather than the USA version that purposely arranges it to create as much drama as possible.

Everything is better, from the way they handle nominations (and aren't allowed to talk about it), to the games that, for the most part, were designed to have the house work together. (Love the naughty corner). Based on the audience size, the Australian version is WAY more popular than the USA version is.

I really wish the USA producers would take some lessons from the Australians on how to produce a decent big brother series.
Did you watch these on Torrents? Is it available to watch in the US?
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
I enjoyed All Stars season and the season that had Eric as America's player.
I liked the America's player, even though I generally don't like audience intervention in the game. But because the audience votes made it SO obvious that Eric would have played it differently, I enjoyed watching how he did it. I thought he was smart enough to win that season if he could have played his own game.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
Hcour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 558
Boy, this was a bad idea. Apparently some people don't understand the NO SPOILER concept. Thanks a lot.

Thread closed. To me anyway.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
Boy, this was a bad idea. Apparently some people don't understand the NO SPOILER concept. Thanks a lot.

Thread closed. To me anyway.

Did you expect people to respond with nothing more than the season numbers they thought were really good? If that's the case, starting out a thread you titled for no spoilers with a spoiler about who won season 13 probably wasn't a good idea. Stating who won has got to be the biggest spoiler there is.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
gossamer88
HDTV Snob
 
gossamer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Da boogie down Bronx
Posts: 6,686
Watching reality shows from years ago is like watching a sporting event taped.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
jeff92k7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas area
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Did you watch these on Torrents? Is it available to watch in the US?
Yes, I found torrents for it. In the US, we have to be "creative" about how we obtain foreign shows that aren't offered at all here.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
bryhamm
randomize
 
bryhamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St Louis area
Posts: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
I'm watching the current season and enjoying it. Not as good as Survivor, but entertaining. The only other season I've seen is the one where Rachel Reilly won (Season 13, I think). I'd like to watch some other seasons. Which do you recommend as the best? Thanks much!
LOL, so you say "no spoilers" but then post the bolded
__________________
I just want bryhamm on top -- dthmj

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel
 
Johnny Dancing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Detroit
Posts: 680
Season 2 was awesome. I hated Chilltown at first then came to root for them in the end. I have that one downloaded to my media player and will rewatch.

The allstar season with Janelle, Howie, Dr. Will, Boogie is a close second.

BTW: The worst would be the nerd-herd season.
__________________
1%er...
Johnny Dancing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
Yes, I found torrents for it. In the US, we have to be "creative" about how we obtain foreign shows that aren't offered at all here.
Not desperate enough to watch to do and deal with torrents, but thanks anyway
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
Hcour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Did you expect people to respond with nothing more than the season numbers they thought were really good? If that's the case, starting out a thread you titled for no spoilers with a spoiler about who won season 13 probably wasn't a good idea. Stating who won has got to be the biggest spoiler there is.
Ok. Fair enough. Apologies for starting my own non-spoiler thread with a spoiler. That was dumb.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
Hoffer
Captain Chaos
 
Hoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 31,408
I only watched the first 2-3 seasons. The only thing I remember about the show was a hot, plastic blonde from Las Vegas. There was some online thing you could pay to watch stuff and images of her naked were caught. That was my fav part.
__________________
Xbox/PSN/Wii U IDs: Hoffer
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User
 
tivoboyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,278
I gave up on this show a long time ago, but some of the earlier seasons were pretty good. I liked the Janelle seasons and the Dr Will seasons. Janelle was incredibly hot and also surprising good at the competitions. I always hoped she would go on Survivor. Dr. Will was great at playing the game and manipulating people. The best season I remember was the all star season with Dr Will.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #20
dfergie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 245
4 was my first season (did buy 3 and watch)liked it and 5 and the theme song they used then...
dfergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #21
Hoffer
Captain Chaos
 
Hoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 31,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I only watched the first 2-3 seasons. The only thing I remember about the show was a hot, plastic blonde from Las Vegas. There was some online thing you could pay to watch stuff and images of her naked were caught. That was my fav part.
Did some googling to find some pictures of this blonde as a refresher. Looks like she is in prison for killing 2 people while drunk driving.
__________________
Xbox/PSN/Wii U IDs: Hoffer
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
Shaunnick
Registered User
 
Shaunnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,944
Name?
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #23
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
Did some googling to find some pictures of this blonde as a refresher. Looks like she is in prison for killing 2 people while drunk driving.
wha?!!!!!!

Link please.

I know one former winner is/was in prison. I won't reveal who because it's a spoiler!!
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #24
Hoffer
Captain Chaos
 
Hoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 31,408
Well, her name on the show was Tonya Paoni. Her last name was Casper at the time of the accident in 2009. It looks like she was charged with the death of the 2 people in 2010, but I can't actually find whether she was found innocent or guilty. At the time she was charged, she was in jail on $1 million bail.
__________________
Xbox/PSN/Wii U IDs: Hoffer
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |