TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Fallingg Skies 6/9/13 "On Thin Ice/Collateral Damage"

Well, THAT was annoying! The recording of the first episode cut out with "So what's this bad boy supposed to do, anyway?" and the second one started with the camera pulling back, apparently after the response.

So...what's that bad boy supposed to do, anyway?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

I watched it live and I don't think that question was answered specifically. It was the 'cliffhanger' of that episode and only ever was refered to as a weapon in the next.

Great couple of episodes, though. Really looking forward to this season.

Re: the mole. The times we saw the mole doing things, Hal was always somewhere else, wasn't he?
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
kdmorse

Ok, it's been bugging the crap out of me... I even rewatched the scenes over and over to try to figure it out...

Where do I know the basement dwelling power scientist from?

Edit: Ah ha! Silly me, mentally running through characters/acters from sci-fi shows....
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

So, the Volm. Did we meet them last season, or did they just sashay on down this year?

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
So, the Volm. Did we meet them last season, or did they just sashay on down this year?
They arrived at the very end of season 2. We only saw one get out of his ship, then the season ended.
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc View Post
They arrived at the very end of season 2. We only saw one get out of his ship, then the season ended.
Which was proof the Volm are lying, by the way.

Because if they really do go from world to world, rescuing conquered planets from the Eshveni, then they would know better than to land in front of armed humans who have been resisting alien invaders for over a year and taking off their armored helmets revealing their naked alien faces to armed humans who have been resisting alien invaders for over a year, and who are armed, with guns, which can do serious damage to naked alien faces.

This show is just SO UNREALISTIC.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Which was proof the Volm are lying, by the way.

Because if they really do go from world to world, rescuing conquered planets from the Eshveni, then they would know better than to land in front of armed humans who have been resisting alien invaders for over a year and taking off their armored helmets revealing their naked alien faces to armed humans who have been resisting alien invaders for over a year, and who are armed, with guns, which can do serious damage to naked alien faces.

This show is just SO UNREALISTIC.

That was just the Volm FNG. The experienced Overlords stayed in the ship.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 06-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Well, THAT was annoying! The recording of the first episode cut out with "So what's this bad boy supposed to do, anyway?" and the second one started with the camera pulling back, apparently after the response.

So...what's that bad boy supposed to do, anyway?
My DVR did just the opposite. It decided without warning me that there was a conflict with Game of Thrones, and simply refused to record the first hour (since TNT's so nice about calling their 2-hour premiere two separate episodes).

So I had to manually set it to record part 1 AFTER part 2. GRR.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

And we continue with the annoying habit of series regulars NEVER EVER revealing what seems like rather important information, like your newborn baby standing up in the crib, talking after a day and then climbing out of the crib and crawling under a bed? Nah, why reveal that to the baby's Dad?

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywater View Post
And we continue with the annoying habit of series regulars NEVER EVER revealing what seems like rather important information, like your newborn baby standing up in the crib, talking after a day and then climbing out of the crib and crawling under a bed? Nah, why reveal that to the baby's Dad?
They kinda sorta explained, it, but they didn't work very hard to sell it (when she was blowing it off as imagining things...if they established that she was sleep-deprived, which makes sense, it would be easier to take her at her word instead of looking like she's definitely hiding stuff from John).
Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
dcushing

Took me a little bit to recognize Robert Sean Leonard as the agoraphobic engineer. I liked the second half much better than the first. Though I am not sure I like the mole aspect, can't we ever have a show without a mole?

The Truth will set you free, but no one will listen.
dcushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #12
dthmj
Hinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
Ok, it's been bugging the crap out of me... I even rewatched the scenes over and over to try to figure it out...

Where do I know the basement dwelling power scientist from?

Edit: Ah ha! Silly me, mentally running through characters/acters from sci-fi shows....
So did you figure it out? It bugged me too and I turned to google to figure it out....

Spoiler:
Robert Sean Leonard - who was the sidekick on House. Looks like he's going to be around for a while.

- Gaming Blog

- My brand new personal blog!
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I watched this and I felt like I missed a lot. It appears to be 7 months since last season? Now all of a sudden, Tom is President, they are REALLY working side by side with the rebel aliens? One has a voice? I watched what I thought was the last epiosde of last season and I don't remember them establishing that. And...the tide has turned and the humans are winning? Are they going to flashback on how we got to that point?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

With kids in the cast, it's really REALLY smart to do these jumps between seasons. Otherwise, you end up with several episodes of shooting Walt from trick angles, and then he's sailing off in a boat rarely to be seen again.

I didn't see it as the humans are winning; I saw it as the humans have elevated themselves to the status of major nuisance. But yes, you (and we all) did miss a lot, and that seems to be deliberate, and I suspect what you haven't picked up on yet, you will eventually.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
dthmj
Hinky

Moon Bloodgood was pregnant in real life when this was filming. She actually found out she was pregnant about 2 weeks after the final episode was filmed (where it revealed the character was pregnant).

I thought it was really nice to see a pregnant character that really looked pregnant! I read that they filmed a bunch of her scenes out of sequence.

And the baby is a little creepy.

- Gaming Blog

- My brand new personal blog!
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
With kids in the cast, it's really REALLY smart to do these jumps between seasons. Otherwise, you end up with several episodes of shooting Walt from trick angles, and then he's sailing off in a boat rarely to be seen again.

I didn't see it as the humans are winning; I saw it as the humans have elevated themselves to the status of major nuisance. But yes, you (and we all) did miss a lot, and that seems to be deliberate, and I suspect what you haven't picked up on yet, you will eventually.
I have no problem with the jump in time. It does make sense, but at least some back story? It seems we were thrown into the middle of things, and it's not something I remember from the other seasons, jumps like that with no explanation. One of the aliens DID say they were winning, and the new thing they are building should finish them off. Hopefully we'll get a little more backstory, but it doesn't seem like it's likely.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I Hopefully we'll get a little more backstory, but it doesn't seem like it's likely.
Why not? It's an old narrative technique ("in media res"); jump in the middle and fill in as you go along. I see no reason why they wouldn't flesh things out more, although they've pretty much already done the essentials in the first two episodes...
Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Why not? It's an old narrative technique ("in media res"); jump in the middle and fill in as you go along. I see no reason why they wouldn't flesh things out more, although they've pretty much already done the essentials in the first two episodes...
I just don't get the feeling they will. They keep repeating over and over that in the last 7 months, we've done better (phrased different, but we got the idea). The series has never done flashbacks, so why would they start now? BTW, did they give the two warring alien sides names before last night? This is the first time I remember hearing it.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #19
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
I just don't get the feeling they will. They keep repeating over and over that in the last 7 months, we've done better (phrased different, but we got the idea). The series has never done flashbacks, so why would they start now? BTW, did they give the two warring alien sides names before last night? This is the first time I remember hearing it.
I think it's new. I remember being surprised when the well-spoken Volm called the white-trash aliens the Espheni.

Why is the Volm named after a famous Native American?

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 06-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #20
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
There are 3 groups of aliens involved aren't there? The bad guys we had all along, the rebel skitters, and the new Volm guys. The new guys are way more useful than the rebel skitters ever would have been.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
DeDondeEs

Quote:
I watched this and I felt like I missed a lot. It appears to be 7 months since last season? Now all of a sudden, Tom is President, they are REALLY working side by side with the rebel aliens? One has a voice? I watched what I thought was the last epiosde of last season and I don't remember them establishing that. And...the tide has turned and the humans are winning? Are they going to flashback on how we got to that point?
Yeah it seems like they have skipped over the stuff that would be interesting to see.

Last edited by DeDondeEs : 06-11-2013 at 05:19 PM.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #22
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
There are 3 groups of aliens involved aren't there? The bad guys we had all along, the rebel skitters, and the new Volm guys. The new guys are way more useful than the rebel skitters ever would have been.
Yes 3 but I think it is more like Overlords (Tom met with them once), skitters (which are an assimilated species by the overlords) and the Volm guys who the Overlords tried to invade their planet and lost. Now the Volm help others that are being invaded.

How species are the Volm helping right now? How many planets have you prevented the Overlords from taking over? What does that device your building do?

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #23
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcushing View Post
Took me a little bit to recognize Robert Sean Leonard as the agoraphobic engineer. I liked the second half much better than the first. Though I am not sure I like the mole aspect, can't we ever have a show without a mole?
I would never have recognized him. He didn't even look familiar. So the mole is not wheelchair boy and not the alien, right? So who's left? Hated to see them kill off John Locke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
I think it's new. I remember being surprised when the well-spoken Volm called the white-trash aliens the Espheni.

Why is the Volm named after a famous Native American?
So are the Espheni and the Overlords the same thing? Is the Skitters the only other race they have enslaved that are here with them? Right, Cochise? Really?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #24
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
So are the Espheni and the Overlords the same thing? Is the Skitters the only other race they have enslaved that are here with them? Right, Cochise? Really?
Overlord seems to be a position, not a species, since Karen now is one.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #25
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
I would never have recognized him. He didn't even look familiar. So the mole is not wheelchair boy and not the alien, right? So who's left? Hated to see them kill off John Locke.
The mole had feminine and small hands.

Oh, and apparently, Karen is now a Cylon skinjob.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #26
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
The mole had feminine and small hands.
Presidential assistant chick is new, so therefore it must be she.

Or Max Headroom, maybe he has girl hands.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #27
stellie93

For some reason I was thinking that there was something fishy about the girl who assists the doctor. Am I remembering wrong? (probably)
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #28
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by phox_mulder View Post
Presidential assistant chick is new, so therefore it must be she.
Yes and she is an ER alum.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #29
squint

Quote:
For some reason I was thinking that there was something fishy about the girl who assists the doctor. Am I remembering wrong? (probably)
She had some PTSD or something going on last season.

I'm not so sure it's her because it was someone Manchester recognized and unless he went to the clinic a lot, I don't think he even knows she exists.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #30
DouglasPHill

Does anyone else foresee the President's assistant wanting more from him than just business?
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote