TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
westpost

Tivo Won't Recognize Comcast Digital Economy Channel Lineup

I have a Series 4 (Premier) using a Comcast cablecard. I switched from Comcast Digital Starter to their Digital Economy package, which includes fewer channels. However, my Tivo doesn't seem to know this, and still thinks I have those missing channels. So it shows certain shows as available, and tries to record them, but instead records blank space. Same problem when switching through the channels watching live TV. It doesn't seem to get this info from Comcast, and I don't see anything in the Settings to change the package manually. I could go through all the channels and uncheck the relevant boxes, but channels lineups occasionally change and I would prefer not to have to somehow keep up on changes and check/uncheck the channel boxes accordingly. Can this be fixed?

Thanks!
westpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by westpost View Post
I have a Series 4 (Premier) using a Comcast cablecard. I switched from Comcast Digital Starter to their Digital Economy package, which includes fewer channels. However, my Tivo doesn't seem to know this, and still thinks I have those missing channels. So it shows certain shows as available, and tries to record them, but instead records blank space. Same problem when switching through the channels watching live TV. It doesn't seem to get this info from Comcast, and I don't see anything in the Settings to change the package manually. I could go through all the channels and uncheck the relevant boxes, but channels lineups occasionally change and I would prefer not to have to somehow keep up on changes and check/uncheck the channel boxes accordingly. Can this be fixed?

Thanks!
You need to re-run guided setup and select the "Digital Economy" lineup, assuming there is one. If there isn't, you need to contact TiVo. Although they may just tell you to uncheck the channels you don't receive. Channel lineups don't really change all that often and your TiVo should be notified if it does.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Try zip codes that you know are serviced by the same cableco.

It's usually best to start with the closest neighboring one, and spiral-outward.

I can get 2 more channels, by selecting the zip code throwing-distance away from the one I'm in. I can get all the lineups, and all the channels, if I select the zip code of where the source plant is (the nerve center with huge satellite dishes on top). I doubt that many would get the results I can, on the latter.

Contact TiVo about it if you want to use your correct zip code. They will contact the cableco and their guide data source, work with them, and can speed up changes faster than you can on your own. It will be faster than doing nothing (99% of the time).
Old 05-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You need to re-run guided setup and select the "Digital Economy" lineup, assuming there is one. If there isn't, you need to contact TiVo. Although they may just tell you to uncheck the channels you don't receive. Channel lineups don't really change all that often and your TiVo should be notified if it does.
That's not true. You can only select your cable provider in GS, not the package you receive. The OP will have to just remove the channels he doesn't get. If Comcast adds or removes channels, the changes will automatically be picked up by the Tivo. However if the channel that was added is not in his lineup, he will have to manually remove it.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Try zip codes that you know are serviced by the same cableco.

It's usually best to start with the closest neighboring one, and spiral-outward.

I can get 2 more channels, by selecting the zip code throwing-distance away from the one I'm in. I can get all the lineups, and all the channels, if I select the zip code of where the source plant is (the nerve center with huge satellite dishes on top). I doubt that many would get the results I can, on the latter.

Contact TiVo about it if you want to use your correct zip code. They will contact the cableco and their guide data source, work with them, and can speed up changes faster than you can on your own. It will be faster than doing nothing (99% of the time).
The way I read his post, he expected the change in lineup to be automatic and did not re-run guided setup.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
The way I read his post, he expected the change in lineup to be automatic and did not re-run guided setup.
I can see how it may appear to be that way.

It's been awhile since I posted about using neighboring zip codes. So, maybe somebody (else) will get some use out of what I posted, if it's not what this user needs.

Last I checked, changing the lineup throws you into guided setup, even if you leave the same zip code in place.

Another neat trick I learned about TiVo and zip codes: Selecting Installer Express Setup, entering 00000 for the zip code, and selecting Tiny TiVo as your provider, will let you zip right through guided setup, and quickly get you to updating the software, or doing other things. It can be a real time saver, and is great for prepping a drive for making a compressible image from. It downloads so little that the backup will remain small, so long as the drive wasn't used in service before. Just repeat guided setup (with correct zip code), or do a C&DE, once the software is current.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
That's not true. You can only select your cable provider in GS, not the package you receive. The OP will have to just remove the channels he doesn't get. If Comcast adds or removes channels, the changes will automatically be picked up by the Tivo. However if the channel that was added is not in his lineup, he will have to manually remove it.
While there is probably not a specific lineup for each package, there are usually multiple lineups to chose from for a provider. Based on what zap2it has for my zipcode, I would have the choice of 4 Comcast lineups.

Guided setup also asks you to identify what channel you see when tuned to specific numeric channel.

Trust me, I know from experience that it is entirely possible to choose the correct provider and what you think is the right lineup but end up with one that does not match your actual lineup.

edit: And I am not talking about having channels you don't receive. I'm talking about channels you do receive not being in the correct location.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
jrtroo
User

With a premiere, you do not need to go to the setting to remove channels. It is much easier to tweak in the Guide when dropping down a package or there are a few changes here and there.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #9
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
While there is probably not a specific lineup for each package, there are usually multiple lineups to chose from for a provider. Based on what zap2it has for my zipcode, I would have the choice of 4 Comcast lineups.

Guided setup also asks you to identify what channel you see when tuned to specific numeric channel.

Trust me, I know from experience that it is entirely possible to choose the correct provider and what you think is the right lineup but end up with one that does not match your actual lineup.

edit: And I am not talking about having channels you don't receive. I'm talking about channels you do receive not being in the correct location.
I agree. But those are different issues. Where the channels are supposed to be is not the same as what channels you should receive. The OP changed what tier he has. The channels don't move, only what he has access to does. And trust me, I have just as much experience as you. From my GS...

Quote:
Choose Provider (08054)

LOCAL
Broadcast (Antenna)
CABLE
Comcast Burlington County - Digital (Willingboro)
Comcast Garden State - Digital (Cherry Hill)
Verizon Fios Basking Ridge - Digital (Basking Ridge)
Verizon Fios Freehold - Digital (Freehold)
Verizon Fios Freehold NY Plus - Digital (Jersey City)
Verizon Fios Southern New Jersey - Digital (Cherry Hill)
SATELLITE
4DTV (USA)
AFN Satellite (USA)
C-Band (USA)
DIRECTV (USA)
DIRECTV Philadelphia (Philadelphia)
DISH Network (USA)
DISH Philadelphia (Philadelphia)
Globecast World TV (USA)
GLRYSTR (USA)
RELAYTV (USA)
My choice is Comcast Garden State - Digital (Cherry Hill). That doesn't provide a choice for which plan I have with them which is what the OP is asking about. You specifically said he could choose his tier or should contact Tivo. That simply is not true.

Last edited by WhiskeyTango : 05-30-2014 at 07:41 PM.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:23 PM   #10
telemark

Quote:
From my GS...
Why are there a bunch of Satellite providers?
Is this because the model of Tivo?
Old 05-31-2014, 01:08 AM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
I agree. But those are different issues. Where the channels are supposed to be is not the same as what channels you should receive. The OP changed what tier he has. The channels don't move, only what he has access to does. And trust me, I have just as much experience as you. From my GS...

My choice is Comcast Garden State - Digital (Cherry Hill). That doesn't provide a choice for which plan I have with them which is what the OP is asking about. You specifically said he could choose his tier or should contact Tivo. That simply is not true.
Granted. But it is also "simply not true" that the only choice you are given is cable provider. It's also possible that the questions asked during GS will eliminate at least some of the channels from "channels you receive".

jrtoo,
Exactly how is it
Quote:
easier to tweak in the Guide
?

Old 05-31-2014, 03:51 AM   #12
telemark

Quote:
jrtoo,
Exactly how is it ?
Removing channels from Grid Guide:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509176
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:15 AM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
OK, but that didn't answer my question which was:

How is it easier than doing it from the channel list? The sole advantage is that you are dealing only with the channels you previously received. The downside is there are a lot more keypresses involved in actually removing the channel.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:29 AM   #14
lpwcomp

In spite of the fact that i don't think it is easier, I will post a trick for doing this if you normally use the TiVo live guide, as I do.

Just hit "Select" to bring up the mini-guide, which is always the grid guide.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
jrtroo
User

It is easier to tweak as you can remove channels quickly if you find one you do not receive or find you do not want to view without having to work through the SD menus. You don't need to remember the channel numbers or write them down. Just go to the guide and eliminate.

Now, I said tweak. If removing tons of channels from a new set up, it may be quicker to use the traditional method.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:06 AM   #16
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
It is easier to tweak as you can remove channels quickly if you find one you do not receive or find you do not want to view without having to work through the SD menus. You don't need to remember the channel numbers or write them down. Just go to the guide and eliminate.

Now, I said tweak. If removing tons of channels from a new set up, it may be quicker to use the traditional method.
Yeah, the number of channels you have to remove to go from "Digital Starter" to "Digital Basic" may be right on the borderline.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:58 PM   #17
telemark

I found the threshold depends on whether I have a copy of the lineup that's accurate.

If accurate, I could check the boxes in Settings pretty quick. This was still more of a pain then necessary because there's 2-3 columns (on the paper lineup) I have to check at the same time.

Another time though, I had a different lineup than published, and getting the settings correct involved tuning to the channel to see if it decodes. Doing it from the guide would have cut a lot of steps.

Last edited by telemark : 05-31-2014 at 11:52 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote