TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
VideoRoy

Channel not tuning or channel not authorized

Short Story:
I have 2 Tivo Premieres that are having exactly the same problem as what is listed in this thread but mine could be on either tuner.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510046

Longer Story
I have 2 Tivo Premiere units for almost 3 years and one regular Comcast HD STB for small TV in the kitchen. Tivo units worked flawless for at least 2 years.

At some point in 2013 I started getting recordings that did not occur and checking history on Tivo it says no signal. A few times I have caught it in the act and nothing recording and the channel says “Not Authorized” or there is a blank screen. These are all on HD versions of CBS, NBC and ABC which are 611, 612 and 613 in my area no special channels. Sometimes this happens when I am channel surfing but if I move back and forth between channels it will sometimes tune. Once tuned it seems to stay unless I change channels. Some days it does not do this at all.

This occurs randomly on both Tivos that are identical but not always the same channel on both. If I setup the same recording on both, I can get it on one but not the other. When it occurs I can go to the Comcast setup box and it seems to work no problem.

What I have tried:
1. Checked all my physical cable and signal multiple times. Seems like this would not be a issue since the STB always seems to work.

2. Have Comcast support check M-Card pairing multiple times over the last year and refresh signal multiple times. Last refresh wiped out everything and I had to re-setup modem and register all over from the ground up.

3. Worked with TIVO support multiple times and everything points back to physical cable issues, M-Card pairing or subscription problems.

4. Last weekend we had a cable cut in the yard. The cable run had been replace 5 years ago and whoever buried the cable ran it over the top of a sprinkler. Repaired the sprinkler and cut the cable.

I worked with the tech while he was here and repaired the cut and checked cable and signal at all locations. After describing the problems he suggested some things and he removed my Motorola AMP that has been working for 10 years and installed a Unity AMP from Comcast. The signal and SNR are perfect on all ports. The tech was excellent BTW and did a great job. While he did not really find anything wrong other than the cut he made changes and checked signal everywhere.

Needless to say the next day after the tech was here I started getting the same channel issues and dropped recordings.

Last discussion with Tivo today the tech suggested replacing both M-Cards or both Tivos. If I really believed both units failed identically I would do it but it beyond unlikely. I have 30 days left on my warranty so I need to decide something.

I have a case manager working with me from Comcast as well but so far no luck.

If you read this far, thanks for listening. If you have any suggestions that I have not tried I would appreciate them.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
lgnad

Did he repair or replace the cable? Every split/connection/etc is a possible source of signal loss or interference.

Do you have to use tuning adapters?

No open taps on splitters? No attenuators hiding anywhere? No homemade cables with badly crimped connectors?

Why do you need an amp? Do you have an exotic wiring configuation? Do you have an extra long run from your house to the source? How old is that whole run of cable?

Have you tried running without the amp? Too much signal is as bad as not enough

Are you using any splitters, or does the amp provide that for you as well? If you do, your splitters might be old and maybe can't pass the signal though efficiently across the whole spectrum... Your provider has likely expanded to add channels at some point and the higher frequencies maybe are being attenuated

Some segment of your coax may be of a much older spec, not shielded enough and/or simply run too close to a source of interference? (E.g. Something with a big motor like a a/c unit or dehumidifyer)

Have you attempted to simplify your wiring down to see if the problem goes away?

How are you checking signal levels? Via the Tivo's menus or cable techs?
-Mini Lifetime MOCA
-Stream
-Comcast/TiVo Mutant dvrs - RIP
-2x Upgraded Series 2 - Retired
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
VideoRoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Did he repair or replace the cable? Every split/connection/etc is a possible source of signal loss or interference.

Do you have to use tuning adapters?

No open taps on splitters? No attenuators hiding anywhere? No homemade cables with badly crimped connectors?

Why do you need an amp? Do you have an exotic wiring configuation? Do you have an extra long run from your house to the source? How old is that whole run of cable?

Have you tried running without the amp? Too much signal is as bad as not enough

Are you using any splitters, or does the amp provide that for you as well? If you do, your splitters might be old and maybe can't pass the signal though efficiently across the whole spectrum... Your provider has likely expanded to add channels at some point and the higher frequencies maybe are being attenuated

Some segment of your coax may be of a much older spec, not shielded enough and/or simply run too close to a source of interference? (E.g. Something with a big motor like a a/c unit or dehumidifyer)

Have you attempted to simplify your wiring down to see if the problem goes away?

How are you checking signal levels? Via the Tivo's menus or cable techs?
Thanks for the reply. Although I am pretty sure my cable was fine and amp working well (unchanged since I installed Tivos with 2+ years no issue) the tech repaired the cable and tested along with me at all steps and installed a brand new Unity Amp. No open taps and with the Unity Amp the signal is loss less through the Amp out each port. I am an old network guy and I read the meter along with him and the signal is as close to perfect right up to the Amp and after at each connection.

I always had a shadow of doubt about the cable just because I had it replaced twice now in the yard due to issues. If it did not test perfect he had agreed with me to redo the run but signal quality is good. Also the problem is still exactly the same problem I had before the cable cut, fix and new Amp.

Physical cable is the only thing I am confident in at this time.
Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

So you **don't** use Tuning Adapters ??

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
So you **don't** use Tuning Adapters ??
Comcast doesn't use SDV.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM   #6
VideoRoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Comcast doesn't use SDV.
Yes, sorry I did not answer. These are cable cards. That is what M-Card is referring to.
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoRoy View Post
Yes, sorry I did not answer. These are cable cards. That is what M-Card is referring to.
If your cable co were using SDV, you would need a Tuning Adapter in addition to the CableCARD.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote