TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Summer Shows 2013

Over the last few years, I've always managed to find stuff that interested me during the summer. Looking at this year's crop of shows, it looks like I'll be watching a lot of baseball, and movies. Not a whole lot interests me, unless you're into crime dramas, which I'm not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/24/ar...dPD15964u7EkoQ

BTW, was looking at my SPs and was wondering if anyone knew if these shows were coming back:

Political Animals (not great, but had an interesting cast)
Covert Affairs (I need a little Piper )
Old 05-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

For me:

Breaking Bad
The Killing
The Bridge
and of course my guilty pleasure...Big Brother (not listed, how dare they!!)
gossamer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Yep, I'll watch BB too, although, if it gets to where there's a houseguest that's too annoying I might bail again (happened 2 yrs ago, but was back last year, because I love watching Dan play the game).

The Bridge and Under the Dome intrigue me somewhat, but we'll see. And maybe Graceland because I tend to like USA Network shows and give most of them a shot.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
WhiskeyTango

I've got a full schedule set up already for the summer. Some have already started, others come on later. To answer Steve's question about Covert Affairs, it returns July 16.

Sunday
Alaska: The Last Frontier
Big Brother
The Killing
Breaking Bad
Dexter
Mad Men
Low Winter Sun
Life Below Zero
The Borgias
The Client List
Devious Maids
Fallings SKies

Monday
Defiance
Under the Dome
Mistresses
Longmire

Tuesday
Big Brother
Deadliest Catch
Covert Affairs

Wednesday
Big Brother
MasterChef
The Hunt
The Real World

Thursday
Hells Kitchen
Burn Notice
Rookie Blue
Hannibal

Saturday
Hell on Wheels
Sinbad
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
mwhip
All better

Breaking Bad and Under the Dome.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
mwhip
All better

Oh and Falling Skies.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Probably just Under the Dome and Big Brother.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Luckily there are still the older shows to watch that I have enjoyed and will continue to watch.

So I'm guessing Political Animals is not coming back. Setting up a new DVR this weekend (a Genie) and I won't port that one over.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Breaking Bad doesn't even come until mid-August. Practically fall TV, but I'm in whenever it gets going.

Big Brother I'll watch for sure. Under the Dome also looks interesting.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:04 AM   #10
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

"Suits" returns in mid July.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:34 AM   #11
Peter000

Suits
Breaking Bad
True Blood
Dexter
Royal Pains
Burn Notice (perhaps)
Necessary Roughness
Falling Skies
Franklin & Bash

I was going to list "Sons of Anarchy" but that doesn't premiere until the fall, I guess.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Come on you lazy bums....how about first ep air dates to go with the shows!
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
sharkster

Not a lot for me, but I'm sticking with 'Dexter' (of course!) and 'The Newsroom'.

I'm going to go back to 'The Killing' for this new season. I was one of those who quit after season one and ended up not even caring who killed Rosie (or whatever her name was). This new season looks compelling so I'm giving it another chance.

I might check out 'Devious Maids'. I like Judy Reyes. It could be fun...or it could be total crap. I'll give it a look-see.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
everklier

I'm waiting for Graceland,starting June 6 on USA
dsr6000 149 hours (retired)
everklier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Teen Wolf
Copper
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #16
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by everklier View Post
I'm waiting for Graceland,starting June 6 on USA
Thank you!!
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #17
BradJW

Suits
Breaking Bad
Falling Skies
Franklin & Bash
Under The Dome

I do record a few others but only for future use. No idea if / when I'll have time for some of them (like mad men, dexter, defiance).
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #18
Allanon

The In The Flesh mini series look like an interesting take on zombies.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

My summer show list:

Futurama
America's Got Talent
The Venture Brothers (it looks like it starts up again on June 2)
...that's pretty much it
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #20
jilter
Happy to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Over the last few years, I've always managed to find stuff that interested me during the summer. Looking at this year's crop of shows, it looks like I'll be watching a lot of baseball, and movies. Not a whole lot interests me, unless you're into crime dramas, which I'm not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/24/ar...dPD15964u7EkoQ

BTW, was looking at my SPs and was wondering if anyone knew if these shows were coming back:

Political Animals (not great, but had an interesting cast)
Covert Affairs (I need a little Piper )
I read that article when it was linked from a search I did on Ray Donovan.
I was going to post almost the same thoughts you expressed here.
I looked at the whole list, and nothing interesting enough on paper to set as recording for. It seems to me like it is a lot of intrigue, mystery and violence on television, and more to come. I am not against violence in drama when it fits the story, but to me it feels like much of the violence on t.v. is gratuitous just as in the movies. After taking stock of what holds my interest, I guess I am hungry for more comedy, romance, wit, or family drama. I guess not this summer.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilter View Post
I read that article when it was linked from a search I did on Ray Donovan.
I was going to post almost the same thoughts you expressed here.
I looked at the whole list, and nothing interesting enough on paper to set as recording for. It seems to me like it is a lot of intrigue, mystery and violence on television, and more to come. I am not against violence in drama when it fits the story, but to me it feels like much of the violence on t.v. is gratuitous just as in the movies. After taking stock of what holds my interest, I guess I am hungry for more comedy, romance, wit, or family drama. I guess not this summer.
It's not even the violence, or sex or whatever. It's just that these are more of the same old. Lots of gritty crime dramas and such, and of course stupid reality fare. I actually don't mind that there's not much on this summer. I have a lot of movies to watch, and I have some series I wouldn't mind doing a rewatch (Lost for example).
Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #22
jilter
Happy to be here.

I agree totally, but was struggling with how to express it.
I found this list from tv.com and it revealed a few more possibilities for me. But then again, summer never was the time I would discover new shows until recently, so I don't know why my expectations were raised for this summer.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #23
markp99
TakoKichi

While watching Orphan Black, BBC announced some upcoming summer programs. Some looked interesting - but I cannot remember the titles now.

I searched for them then, but was too early for them to appear in the the guide.

Any suggestions on BBC summer programming? Might ring a bell for me.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #24
markp99
TakoKichi

Found a good link: http://press.bbcamerica.com/program-....jsp?id=116764

These are the ones that caught my eye:

Quote:
Summer 2013 Highlights

BBC AMERICA SUMMER PREVIEW

COPPER – WORLD PREMIERE

COPPER, BBC AMERICA’s highest-rated original drama, returns for a second season this June. An American saga set in 1865 New York City, picks-up on the brink of Lincoln’s assassination – with shifts in politics and society altering the landscape for Irish immigrants and African-Americans. At the center, Detective Kevin Corcoran (Tom Weston-Jones, MI-5) struggles to tame the wartime metropolis while wrestling with personal demons, including the betrayal of his wife and best friend. And when Tammany Hall’s outspoken General Brendan Donovan (Donal Logue, Vikings, Sons of Anarchy), returns from the Civil War to restore law and order in the Sixth Ward, loyalties will be bought and sold both Uptown and in the slums of the Five Points as Corcoran, and those around him, fight to find their places in an unforgiving city. Guest stars include Alfre Woodard (Steel Magnolias, Twelve Years a Slave, True Blood), William Baldwin (Gossip Girl, Hawaii Five-O), Eamonn Walker (Chicago Fire, Oz), Lee Tergesen (The Big C, Oz) and Andrew Howard (Hatfield & McCoys, The Hangover). The series is created by three-time Emmy® Award-winner Tom Fontana and Academy Award-nominee Will Rokos, and executive produced by Academy Award-winner Barry Levinson, Fontana, Rokos, Cineflix Studios President Christina Wayne and Thomas Kelly. COPPER returns Sunday, June 23, 10:00pm ET/PT.

BROADCHURCH – US PREMIERE

BBC AMERICA’s Broadchurch, which earned critical acclaim, record ratings and became a Twitter phenomenon in the UK, centerson the investigation into the murder of a young boy in a British seaside town. Leading the investigation are two detectives – the strong yet compassionate local Detective Sergeant, Ellie Miller (Olivia Colman), and the by-the-book Detective Inspector Alec Hardy (David Tennant), Ellie’s newly appointed boss. By circumstance they are partnered to solve the murder, keeping the newspapers from derailing the investigation and trying to prevent the crime from impacting tourism at the beach where the boy was murdered. The cast also includes Jodie Whittaker as Beth, Andrew Buchan as Mark, Will Mellor playing Stephen Turner and sees Arthur Darvill as the town priest Paul Coates. The series is created and written by Chris Chibnall and executive produced by Chibnall and Jane Featherstone. Broadchurch premieres Wednesday, August 7, 10:00pm ET/PT as part of Dramaville.

LUTHER – US PREMIERE

BBC AMERICA’s acclaimed mini-seriesLuther returns as a four-night television event in September. Idris Elba (Pacific Rim, Thor) returns in the title role which won him a 2012 Golden Globe® for “Best Actor.” John Luther, the near-genius detective struggling to cope with his own demons, is back under intense pressure – with two conflicting crimes to investigate and a ruthless ex-cop determined to bring him down. Luther’s life is his job; that is until love crosses his path and offers him a chance of happiness. Sienna Guillory (Resident Evil, Love Actually) joins the cast as Mary, a woman who works in a vintage clothing shop and meets Luther in a chance encounter. The series is created by Neil Cross and executive produced by Phillippa Giles. Luther returns September 3-6, 10:00pm ET/PT as part of Dramaville.

IN THE FLESH – US PREMIERE

BBC AMERICA’s In The Flesh, a new zombie mini-series event, will premiere this summer over three-straight nights beginning June 6. It follows zombie teenager Kieren Walker (Luke Newberry) and his reintegration back into both the local community and the heart of his family. After his suicide four years ago, his friends and family thought they’d never see Kieren again. But shortly after his funeral, thousands rose from the dead; and after months of rehabilitation and medication, the zombies – now known as PDS (Partially Deceased Syndrome) sufferers – are gradually being returned to their homes. When Kieran arrives, he is forced to confront his family, the community that rejected him and haunting flashbacks of what he did in his untreated state. In The Flesh is created and written by Dominic Mitchell and executive produced by Hilary Martin. In The Flesh premieres June 6-8, 10:00pm ET/PT.

markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote