TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
BigJimOutlaw

The Cable Show (Monday)

Welp, The Cable Show starts Monday. This is where Tivo introduced the Mini last year.

Knowing that we're getting some new hardware in a few months, what's everybody expecting Tivo to show on Monday, if anything? Or do you think Tivo will be tight lipped a little longer, until CEDIA (Sept 25-28)?

I think we're at least going to see the rumored 6-tuner box finally. Possibly that rumored audible remote too.

No pricing or specific release date details, though. I think they'll say the release will be "later this year" and "pending FCC approval."

Is anybody here going to the show, by chance?

Last weekend of speculation!
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
davezatz
Funkadelic

I'll be at the show.

I doubt we'll see any new retail hardware on display, given the thrust of the show. But I do expect to see the 6 tuner Pace box (again), perhaps along with a press release that it'll be distributed via cable partners very soon or now. I think we might get a Charter update as well and there may be something on cloud services aka TV Everywhere.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
innocentfreak

Well we know the year of the Elite/Q, the FCC granted the waiver the first day of the show. Hopefully we see that again this time.

I would hope we will see a new MSO 4 tuner box and 6 tuner box that will give us a better idea on the retail boxes coming out. They unveiled the Q this way with the Elite a month or two later. I don't think though we will get any ideas on how much storage the retail boxes will have which is one of my big questions.

I don't remember if the Pace box had the Stream functionality. I don't know if it would be a good indication either way since I believe it was a separate chip and I could see MSOs wanting to lease Streams over including it in the DVR fee. Of course they could also turn it on or off based off a set fee similar to how FiOS leases their DVRs and charges more for whole home on the same box.

I could see the remote being there but no one noticing it especially if TiVo doesn't make a big deal. Of course now that Dave will be there this won't happen so they might hide it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
davezatz
Funkadelic

First bit o' news hit. TiVo will brand and integrate their mobile apps for cable customers/partners:

http://pr.tivo.com/press-releases/ti...25009?feed=All

Unfortunately, TiVo Stream remains restricted to iOS...

Quote:
TiVo to Power Cable Operators' Mobile and Second Screen Experience

Mobile Companion App 'Powered by TiVo' Enables Operators to Efficiently Deliver Custom Branded Solution to Subscribers; Atlantic Broadband First Cable Operator to Announce Mobile Applications Deployment

The operator mobile apps 'powered by TiVo' provide cable subscribers an easy-to-use interface to find great stuff to watch, see what's coming up next through the TiVo Live Guide or browse/search TV and movies. And these features work for all operator users -- not just those with a TiVo STB. These customers can also explore and learn even more about their favorite TV shows, movies, actors and directors. For subscribers with TiVo devices, they will also have the ability to remotely schedule recordings, Wish List® and Season Pass® recordings, manage the DVR's To Do and Season Pass lists, and control their device with the mobile app's remote control functionality. Finally, when paired with a TiVo Stream and an iOS device, users can stream content within the home network and side-load recordings to take on the road.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

I wonder if that means there will be an open API for accessing the Stream? That would be cool.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
innocentfreak

https://twitter.com/davezatz/status/344517549041528832

TiVo running in Roku app via ActiveVideo.

I am guessing MSO only and not something retail will ever see.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

OK that is cool. I thought Roku didn't support MPEG-2 though, so does this require a Stream?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
innocentfreak

ActiveVideo is cloud based so it is probably H.264.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-06/...ud-initiative/

Old 06-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
davezatz
Funkadelic

TiVo things I saw...
  • Present in several booths, including Pace, Vubiquity, ActiveVideo, and Verimatrix.
  • In the Pace booth, I saw the TiVo experience running on an XG1 with a Charter-branded remote
  • Pitch on TiVo's booth wall for a MSO web portal, which I shot a video of the demo in the Vubiquity booth.
  • That aforementioned proof of concept, tech demo of a HTML5 TiVo UI hosted in the cloud by ActiveVideo and streamed down to a Roku.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
innocentfreak

I am disappointed we didn't see any undercover retail hardware though I guess they could always opt for Pace to make the retail hardware.

Of course without a FCC ruling who knows if or when we will see new hardware.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah without the FCC ruling they really can't do anything with that new hardware. In the unlikely event they say no TiVo might have to scrap the whole project.

That web portal thing is pretty slick. I would love to see something like that from retail. If they could tap into the Stream and stream shows anywhere that would be awesome!
Old 06-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I am disappointed we didn't see any undercover retail hardware though I guess they could always opt for Pace to make the retail hardware.

Of course without a FCC ruling who knows if or when we will see new hardware.
IMHO, the Cable Show is the wrong venue to highlight retail-only hardware. I think many of TiVo's cable partners may shift to the Pace XG1 gateway for their whole-home deployments. It would have been cool if we could have seen the live TV info screen with 6-tuners shown!

Regarding the FCC waiver request, I can't imagine the FCC denies it since there was zero opposition. It may be delayed due to the FCC transition to a new commissioner. I don't recall if he has to sign-off on the waiver or if it stays within the Media Bureau.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
sbiller

Its also possible that TiVo did have new hardware behind closed doors in its super secret closed booth...
Old 06-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
IMHO, the Cable Show is the wrong venue to highlight retail-only hardware. I think many of TiVo's cable partners may shift to the Pace XG1 gateway for their whole-home deployments. It would have been cool if we could have seen the live TV info screen with 6-tuners shown!

Regarding the FCC waiver request, I can't imagine the FCC denies it since there was zero opposition. It may be delayed due to the FCC transition to a new commissioner. I don't recall if he has to sign-off on the waiver or if it stays within the Media Bureau.
Oh I know. I just was hopeful after last time when we saw the Q which was essentially the Elite with a smaller drive. Of course we knew what the boxes looked like and no idea if these new ones will look like the current Premieres.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Oh I know. I just was hopeful after last time when we saw the Q which was essentially the Elite with a smaller drive. Of course we knew what the boxes looked like and no idea if these new ones will look like the current Premieres.
Agreed. Anyone who went behind the closed door is under NDA so we won't know anything until TiVo releases them from their embargo.