Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #241
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
In the final scene of the saga, Joffrey should be taking a bath in the dragons' blood while feasting on Dany's boiled head.
Spolier!

markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #242
tiassa
Me --Avatar

I think Tywin is only concerned with building the "Lannister Legacy" He's got Joffrey on the Iron Throne, with the Male Starks out of the way he can get Tirion/Sansa's kid as ruler of the North, and with Cersei/Loras offspring he gets a (sort of) Lannister as ruler of Riverrun. Lannisters ruling everywhere!

Or as "The Boss" wrote:
Poor man wanna be rich
Rich man wanna be king
and a king ain't satisfied until he rules everything
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #243
astrohip
Stuart F

Funny:

Some guy asked his dad to try and name all of the characters on Game of Thrones. Here's what he came up with:

http://www.happyplace.com/24473/some...nes-characters
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #244
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
and with Cersei/Loras offspring he gets a (sort of) Lannister as ruler of Riverrun
I think you mean Highgarden. Riverrun is currently in Tully control, though it has been promised to Lord Frey.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #245
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Funny:

Some guy asked his dad to try and name all of the characters on Game of Thrones. Here's what he came up with:

That is hilarious. Some of the names he got wrong are awesome.

James Stark? Nedder. Lord Buccaneer.

Thug!

Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #246
Tracy
Truly

Where the heck did he come up with James Stark?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #247
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
He's probably just finding the Bran scenes about as interesting as I do.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #248
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
I didn't see that at all. Tywin simply kept him around to talk to him about those babies he's supposed to be working on. Before he could, Tyrion said something, and everything Tywin said was just a response to each thing Tyrion said. If anything, I'd say they were at odds with each other on every point discussed.
I think Tywin is constantly measuring, assessing, and re-assessing every person he comes in contact with; Tyrion included. Every reaction and every word is evaluated and filed away. It's who he is.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #249
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Tyrion may appreciate that Robb's death is a major strategic win for the Lannisters, but I don't think he would be happy about it.
This was my point. I'll have to re-watch again, but it felt to me like Tywin was gloating with pride over what he had accomplished. Even if Tyrion doesn't approve, he can still appreciate the strategic nature.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #250
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I think Tywin is constantly measuring, assessing, and re-assessing every person he comes in contact with; Tyrion included. Every reaction and every word is evaluated and filed away. It's who he is.
But he also filters everything that comes in through his very biased mind. Nothing Tyrion can do is ever going to make his father be proud of him.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #251
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
That is hilarious. Some of the names he got wrong are awesome.

James Stark? Nedder. Lord Buccaneer.

Thug!

These were a couple of my favorites...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (31.2 KB, 235 views)
Old 06-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #252
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I think Tywin's stregnth is he's good judge of people, especially his family. He know the strengths and weaknesses of all the Lannisters. He know that Jamie is not that bright, but he's a good soldier. He knows Ceirce's strength is that she can make more Lannisters. He knows Tyrion can take on things that take some actual thinking to get done, but he also knows he's very impulsive, so it's probably best not to keep him at one thing too long. He knows Joeffrey is pretty useless, and his only strength is that he's a Baratheon, by name at least, and that he can steamroll the kid into doing what he wants. I do think there will come a time when Tywin has no use for Joeffry and he'll figure out an accident similar to what happened to King Robert.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #253
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
But he also filters everything that comes in through his very biased mind. Nothing Tyrion can do is ever going to make his father be proud of him.
I should have introduced him to my mom, same issue
Old 06-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #254
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I should have introduced him to my mom, same issue
If she could just see past his height!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #255
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Funny:

I loved that! I probably couldn't do all that much better. A number of the characters, whose names I'm pretty sure I do know, I nevertheless blanked out on as soon as I saw his attempts, and now I can't recall the correct names.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #256
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
I half expected him to say Tony.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #257
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I half expected him to say Tony.

Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #258
TonyD79

Quote:
No, not proud. But I got that he recognizes that Tyrion is smart. And it pisses him off even more because he is physically flawed and his birth killed his mother.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #259
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Loved that Happy Place thing with the names. It really highlights what a ridiculous number of relatively prominent characters there are in this show. And reminds me that we haven't seen Littlefinger for a really long time.

And why bother casting Ciaran Hinds as Mance Rayder if he's only going to get 4 minutes of screentime the entire season.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #260
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
No, not proud. But I got that he recognizes that Tyrion is smart. And it pisses him off even more because he is physically flawed and his birth killed his mother.
Yeah, I think it pissed him off that he had to admit Tyrion was capable when he needed somebody to take over at King's Landing. But now that he is there himself, he has no intention whatsoever of letting Tyrion help in any way (except marrying and impregnating a Stark girl, which he probably figures Tyrion is qualified for because of his extensive experience in whoring and debauchery, not because of any positive qualities he might posses).

So his recognition of Tyrion's intelligence was due to momentary desperation, not any kind of level-headed analysis of his son's qualities.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #261
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
And why bother casting Ciaran Hinds as Mance Rayder if he's only going to get 4 minutes of screentime the entire season.
Maybe Mance Rayder's storyline isn't over yet.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #262
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
If she could just see past his height!
LOL I meant Tywin, nothing I did was ever good enough for her so she and Tywin would have made a good pair.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #263
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I think Tywin's ... ... ... figure out an accident similar to what happened to King Robert.
I thought Robert's death was completely by accident (a wile bore he was hunting fought back).
Old 06-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #264
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Maybe Mance Rayder's storyline isn't over yet.
Oh, I'm certain that his story isn't done yet and that we'll see him again. That was clear from the fact that people were so excited to see his character and see who played him. It just seems strange that they made such a big deal about his casting before the season started and then we barely saw him at all the whole season.

It was my understanding that people were excited about him because he is prominent in Book 3. Is that not correct? I understand the show only got through about 2/3 of Book 3, so maybe he'll play a more prominent role at the beginning of next season. Or did the show make him into a less prominent character than he was in the books up to this point?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #265
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
It was my understanding that people were excited about him because he is prominent in Book 3. Is that not correct? I understand the show only got through about 2/3 of Book 3, so maybe he'll play a more prominent role at the beginning of next season. Or did the show make him into a less prominent character than he was in the books up to this point?
You can't draw an exact parallel to the timeline of the book(s) and where the show is at, mainly because the different POV characters of the book sometimes tell the story in not-so-chronological order. Plus, we've seen some elements of Book 4 already.

But there are several very important aspects of the Book 3 that we have not yet seen. I will say this: of the 4 or 5 most memorable parts of Book 3, only 1 (the Red Wedding) was shown in S3 (maybe 2 if people count Jaime's dismemberment). There is a lot of major, major drama left.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #266
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I thought Robert's death was completely by accident (a wile bore he was hunting fought back).
There was Cersei's cousin/boyfriend, also Robert's squire, who under her instructions kept him well-lubricated during the hunt. We don't know how long he was fulfilling that role, but chasing vicious animals through the forest on horseback at breakneck speed is dangerous even when you're not drunk out of your mind. The odds were, as they say, ever not in his favor.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #267
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
There was Cersei's cousin/boyfriend, also Robert's squire, who under her instructions kept him well-lubricated during the hunt. We don't know how long he was fulfilling that role, but chasing vicious animals through the forest on horseback at breakneck speed is dangerous even when you're not drunk out of your mind. The odds were, as they say, ever not in his favor.
True, but it's not like anyone was forcing the wine down Robert's throat. He chose to be "well-lubricated" all the time, Cersai was just hoping one day an accident would happen.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #268
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
True, but it's not like anyone was forcing the wine down Robert's throat. He chose to be "well-lubricated" all the time, Cersai was just hoping one day an accident would happen.
Yes, but they made enough of a deal of letting us know that the boy was specifically tasked with keeping him drunk during his dangerous activity in which he fell from his horse and died, that we may assume that there is a correlation.

As I say, she was working to improve her odds. And we don't know how long she had been doing such things, but in this case it paid off. (Being Robert's squire, I wonder if Boy-Toy may also have made sure that his equipment was not up to full standards, e.g., his saddle...)

They wouldn't have wasted valuable screen time on introducing that character if there wasn't meant to be a pay-off. Robert's death is the pay-off.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #269
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
I vaguely recall it was more then well lubricated. I thought Lancel had "super-charged" his wineskin with some "herb" from Pycelle.

Wasn't this almost directly insinuated? Or am I dreaming (which I will blame on super-charged herbs & spices).
Old 06-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #270
john4200

Quote:
(Being Robert's squire, I wonder if Boy-Toy may also have made sure that his equipment was not up to full standards...
Makes for an interesting quote when taken out of context...
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote