TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #271
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I vaguely recall it was more then well lubricated. I thought Lancel had "super-charged" his wineskin with some "herb" from Pycelle.

Wasn't this almost directly insinuated?
Yes, I remember it that way, also.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #272
cherry ghost

Quote:
I vaguely recall it was more then well lubricated. I thought Lancel had "super-charged" his wineskin with some "herb" from Pycelle.

Wasn't this almost directly insinuated? Or am I dreaming (which I will blame on super-charged herbs & spices).
It was a more potent wine
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #273
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

The Wiki says it wine that was 3 times more potent.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #274
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

So I guess I'm just as confused as this guy's dad:

The dad identifies two different pictures as the blacksmith (Gendry). I can't tell which one is Gendry and I have no idea who the other one is.

Edit: Nevermind. One of them is Podrick. But I still don't know which is which.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #275
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Edit: Nevermind. One of them is Podrick. But I still don't know which is which.
You can use the backgrounds as a guide. Gendry is the one who looks like he's out in the wilderness somewhere and Pod is somewhere with curtains.

I doubt Gendry has ever been somewhere with curtains in his entire life.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #276
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
You can use the backgrounds as a guide. Gendry is the one who looks like he's out in the wilderness somewhere and Pod is somewhere with curtains.

Better. "Dad" corrected himself. Said first one was blacksmith kid then saw the second and realized he was wrong on the first one. He was right the second time.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #277
DUDE_NJX

I always have to remind myself that Gendry is not Podrick, and vice versa.

Also, that hooker is not sexy, IMO. I'm actually surprised they didn't cast a more attractive actress for that role.
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #278
DUDE_NJX

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Perhaps only when being born...
Old 06-15-2013, 02:22 AM   #279
Azlen

For those who are both Game of Thrones and Arrested Development fans.

http://arrestedwesteros.com/

Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:23 AM   #280
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
Also, that hooker is not sexy, IMO. I'm actually surprised they didn't cast a more attractive actress for that role.
Yeah, that's probably the single worst casting job. In the books she is uncommonly beautiful. That actress? Not so much.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #281
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

Quote:

Wasn't this almost directly insinuated? Or am I dreaming (which I will blame on super-charged herbs & spices).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
It was a more potent wine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
The Wiki says it wine that was 3 times more potent.
I also remember it being a more potent wine (spoilerizing the rest because I'm not sure if I remember this from the show or the book)
Spoiler:
*and* I also seem to remember in Cersei telling someone (Ned? When he confronted her?) that if she hadn't gotten Robert killed that time, she would have eventually. Maybe it wasn't when talking to Ned, but does anyone else remember something like this?

That is putting it in the most simplistic way, but it seems to me that she said something that made it perfectly clear she was most definitely trying to kill him.

Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #282
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:

In general, I agree that this was the tool used. But another would have been used had this one not worked. Ned told her he would tell Robert about her and Jaime as soon as he came back from the hunt.

It is not a coincidence that Robert came back mostly dead. he was never coming back.
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #283
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yes, but they made enough of a deal of letting us know that the boy was specifically tasked with keeping him drunk during his dangerous activity in which he fell from his horse and died, that we may assume that there is a correlation.
What horse? They were shown hunting on foot, with no horses behind them. I don't remember any mention of horses either.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #284
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
What horse? They were shown hunting on foot, with no horses behind them. I don't remember any mention of horses either.
Well, that's how you hunt boars (humans can't keep up with them on foot), but I'm probably conflating him with somebody who died like that in real life (drunken hunting accidents were not terribly unusual in the Middle Ages...my favorite was the French heir to the throne who died when he was drunkenly hunting a woman through the streets of Paris on horseback, forgot to duck, whacked his head on a doorway, and fell to his death).
Old 06-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #285
LordKronos

Quote:

I don't remember any mention of that. Possibly in the books (which I haven't read), but not the show. The closest there was to any sort of insinuation was a discussion about who gave him the wine, saying it was the lannister boy.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #286
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Well, that's how you hunt boars (humans can't keep up with them on foot), but I'm probably conflating him with somebody who died like that in real life (drunken hunting accidents were not terribly unusual in the Middle Ages...my favorite was the French heir to the throne who died when he was drunkenly hunting a woman through the streets of Paris on horseback, forgot to duck, whacked his head on a doorway, and fell to his death).
Boar hunting most certainly can be done on foot. It is usually accomplished by trapping the boar. You use multiple people and close in on it from all sides, having the people on the other side drive it towards you. Or you all force it towards a cliff or something and corner it.

And like I said, when they showed them hunting, they were on foot, walking through the woods, without any horses following them.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #287
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Boar hunting most certainly can be done on foot. It is usually accomplished by trapping the boar. You use multiple people and close in on it from all sides, having the people on the other side drive it towards you. Or you all force it towards a cliff or something and corner it.

And like I said, when they showed them hunting, they were on foot, walking through the woods, without any horses following them.
Being that Robert got gored by the boar he had to be on the ground, yes?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #288
danterner
Not it!

I vaguely recall him arriving back, having been gored, on his horse. So he was on foot while hunting, and carried back once injured, maybe?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #289
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

John Locke hunted boar on the island all the time.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #290
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I vaguely recall him arriving back, having been gored, on his horse. So he was on foot while hunting, and carried back once injured, maybe?
Not in the show. We never actually see Robert arrive. First we see is Renly running in the hallways of Kings Landing to find Ned to tell him about it.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #291
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

This thread has taken a boaring sidetrack.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #292
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Don't be such a pig about it.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #293
DUDE_NJX

I sow what you did there.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #294
stellie93

Quote:
I don't remember any mention of that. Possibly in the books (which I haven't read), but not the show. The closest there was to any sort of insinuation was a discussion about who gave him the wine, saying it was the lannister boy.
Didn't Tyrion use this to blackmail the Lannister Boy-Lancel? Or was it just that he was sleeping with Cercei?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #295
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Didn't Tyrion use this to blackmail the Lannister Boy-Lancel? Or was it just that he was sleeping with Cercei?
Just for banging her.
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #296
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I had a random thought from way back in season 1.

King Robert got the word that Dany Targareon was with the Dothraki and with child, etc., and made to decision to have her killed.

How did he know that her brother, who was the heir, was given the golden shower?
UVerse and OTA

Old 06-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #297
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I had a random thought from way back in season 1.

King Robert got the word that Dany Targareon was with the Dothraki and with child, etc., and made to decision to have her killed.

How did he know that her brother, who was the heir, was given the golden shower?
He wanted them all killed, even before the child. Back when he won the Iron Thrown, he had all of the Targaryen family killed, but the 2 kids escaped oversees. As soon as he heard about them over there, he wanted them both killed. Then he found out she was pregnant, and it was like "oh crap, see...they're multiplying", so he wanted all 3 of them killed.

And the whole idea was, while Viserys was supposed to be king, he was going to accomplish it via the Dothraki (the trade was Dany as a wife in exchange for a Dothraki army). The Dothraki were what they really feared, not Viserys or Dany. The Dothraki were the brutal warriors that were the problem, but previously they were no concern because they had no interest in coming to Westeros (and they feared the water). Now that Viserys had convinced the Dothraki to go to Westeros (or so Robert thought), the Dothraki were an actual threat. And now that Dany was having a kid, it would be a combo Dothraki/Targaryen child leading the army (once he was old enough). It was just all getting worse and worse. He just wanted them all dead before it got even worse.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #298
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
He wanted them all killed, even before the child. Back when he won the Iron Thrown, he had all of the Targaryen family killed, but the 2 kids escaped oversees. As soon as he heard about them over there, he wanted them both killed. Then he found out she was pregnant, and it was like "oh crap, see...they're multiplying", so he wanted all 3 of them killed.

And the whole idea was, while Viserys was supposed to be king, he was going to accomplish it via the Dothraki (the trade was Dany as a wife in exchange for a Dothraki army). The Dothraki were what they really feared, not Viserys or Dany. The Dothraki were the brutal warriors that were the problem, but previously they were no concern because they had no interest in coming to Westeros (and they feared the water). Now that Viserys had convinced the Dothraki to go to Westeros (or so Robert thought), the Dothraki were an actual threat. And now that Dany was having a kid, it would be a combo Dothraki/Targaryen child leading the army (once he was old enough). It was just all getting worse and worse. He just wanted them all dead before it got even worse.
OK, but what I'm asking is how they got the word that Viserys was dead. I gather that their "host" was sending word back to Varys, but how would he know?
UVerse and OTA

Old 06-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #299
TonyD79

Quote:

OK, but what I'm asking is how they got the word that Viserys was dead. I gather that their "host" was sending word back to Varys, but how would he know?
I was under the impression that Jorah was doing the reporting until he started to believe in Dany.

I think there was a reference in conversation a few weeks ago.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #300
LordKronos

Quote:
Jorah was the one sending back information (he told Illyrio in Pentos, who then told Varys), so if Robert found out, it was from him. But what I'm getting at is that at no time did we ever see (to my recollection) Robert acknowledging the fact that Viserys was dead. The only scene I recall Robert mentioning any of the Targaryens after Viserys dies was when Robert was on his death bed and told Ned to abort that plan (which Varys said was already too late).

Edit: I just checked, and I'm correct. In episode 6, Robert has already left to go hunting (Ned is running things for him). At the end of the episode, Viserys dies.

Last edited by LordKronos : 06-16-2013 at 06:45 PM.