TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
moose53

How Can I Tell If I *NEED* PyTivo??

How Can I Tell If I *NEED* PyTivo??

I have a TiVo Premiere connected via wired connection to my router. My computer is Windows XP Professional also wired to the router.

I just got a new television (Philips 22PFL4507). This replaces an older-than-dirt RCA TV-VCR Combo T19408.

I *assumed* that since I was getting a DLNA-certified TV that I would not need PyTivo any longer. How can I determine whether or not I will still need PyTivo??

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

What do you want to do that you think you need pyTivo for is a better question
Old 08-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
poppagene
User

Moose, my 2010 and 2011 DLNA certified Samsung tvs work great with playon directly. my 2012 and 2013 DLNA certified Samsung tvs don't work with playon. In either case, the ability to use pytivo with playon and have tivo actually record the video allows for fast forwarding and rewinding which I find to be usefull.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
jcthorne

Your DLNA tvs will not speak to the TiVo's. You still need PyTivo for that.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
moose53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
What do you want to do that you think you need pyTivo for is a better question
Thanks, Diane. Stream and/or record Netflix. Stream and/or record PlayOn and Hulu. Watch PlayLater recordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Moose, my 2010 and 2011 DLNA certified Samsung tvs work great with playon directly. my 2012 and 2013 DLNA certified Samsung tvs don't work with playon. In either case, the ability to use pytivo with playon and have tivo actually record the video allows for fast forwarding and rewinding which I find to be useful.
So ... jump into the pool without the PyTivo life preserver and see if it works!!?? :GRIN:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Your DLNA tvs will not speak to the TiVo's. You still need PyTivo for that.
I was hoping that I wouldn't need it anymore. We'll see. I got rid of Comcast internet a couple of months ago ... they were seriously shaping my signal ... supposed to be getting 30MB (was getting anywhere from 10MB to 30MB). I've moved over to FIOS with a much faster, consistent speed ... 57-60MB. I was hoping I'd see much faster streaming with the increased internet access. I'm not. I think that might be the PyTivo slowing me down.

I'll remove the PyTivo and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose53 View Post
I think that might be the PyTivo slowing me down.

I'll remove the PyTivo and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help.
No need to remove the pytivo. Your DLNA certified TV will see the playon server on your home network (with or without pytivo running) and will access playon directly.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
jcthorne

pytivo has nothing to do with your streaming video on a tv from the internet.

PyTivo is for moving video from and to a Tivo. That's it.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote