TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
rcfalcor

Question How well will a Tivo Premiere work alongside a GoogleTV-enabled HDTV?

I have a Tivo Premiere unit (with cableCARD) which is the standard cable box for Grande Cable in Austin, TX.

I'm considering purchasing a new HDTV, and have been particularly drawn to the new LG HDTVs, largely due to the qwerty remote, and the true LED (local dimming) features. However, these TVs are also built-in with Google TV.

How well would this work with a Tivo box with a cablecard? It would seem that the Tivo in this setup is already the central unit; would having Google TV be a conflict (would it be attempting to provide TV guide data, DVR functionality, etc), or would it work as an additional layer to add TV-App functionality, Google Play, Web Browser, etc, without issue?

Trying to decide whether combining the two is going to be overkill and cause a problem... Thanks for any suggestions.
rcfalcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #2
MeStinkBAD

According to this Google TV Help page it should work fine.
MeStinkBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
rcfalcor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeStinkBAD View Post
According to this ... page it should work fine.
Hi MeStinkBAD,

Thanks for the reply!

I checked that link; unfortunately I didn't see anything mentioned at all about Tivo. Am I overlooking something, or is there perhaps a different link you meant to post? Thank you again for your help.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
bantar

I don't have GoogleTV, but it would appear that your TV allows you to stream content from the web via GoogleTV integrated apps, such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. For the TV to do such streaming, it needs an internet connection. Plug it in and you are able to stream. This is independent of TiVo mostly (ignoring Ethernet over MOCA).

Your TV should allow you to display content from TiVo on (let's say) HDMI1 or content from GoogleTV. Since the TV is controlling the input source, it's no different from watching a DVD or the TiVo. They are both connected, but operate independently. In your case, GoogleTV is not connected, but built-in, however it operates similar to the way your DVD does. Your DVD viewing and GoogleTV viewing has no impact on what TiVo is doing.

My TV offers similar streaming, but not using GoogleTV. In practice, if TiVo offers the same, I would use that instead of the TV. I prefer to stick with one remote and interface. Watched a YouTube video (Reactions to Red Wedding) again last night and never considered using my TV as the provider, nor did I consider using my BluRay player for this either (and it also streams). This is simply a personal choice of how you access that content.

Last edited by bantar : 06-10-2013 at 02:36 PM.
bantar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
rcfalcor

Yeah that is a good point; I think GoogleTV + Tivo might be overkill.

I used to have a Vizio HDTV (a VXT line model) that had full array LED and a QWERTY slide-out remote; unfortunately it seems as though Vizio has dumbed-down their line since then; they have "smart LED" but it isn't local dimming or even really full array. So I'm searching for a good local dimming HDTV with a good remote (that's why I was looking at the LG, but don't really need the GoogleTV); perhaps Samsung is the way to go.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.