TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
hillstrubl

Switching from FIOS to Comcast - guided setup + preferences + season passes

I'm switching to Comcast from FIOS on Wednesday and I wanted to avoid as much re-configuration as possible. I'd love to just pop the FIOS card out and put the Comcast one in but I know its not that simple. I'll have to repeat Guided setup it looks like.

I'm reading that season passes WILL survive the guided setup but I can't see how that would work seeing that all the channel numbers are now different... Thoughts?

Ideally I'd really like to retain my preferences but I also think that's a pipe dream. Any switching provider advice? (yes I searched)
hillstrubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Teeps

My thought is that TiVo is smart enough after running guided setup, to find the season passes on the new channels.

Why are you switching from FIOS?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I'm reading that season passes WILL survive the guided setup but I can't see how that would work seeing that all the channel numbers are now different... Thoughts?
It does work. The TiVo searches out the programs on their new channels. However, you could end up with a Season Pass on an HD channel moved to an SD channel (or vice versa, I suppose).

Quote:
Ideally I'd really like to retain my preferences but I also think that's a pipe dream.
No, those aren't affected by running Guided Setup. You should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
MScottC

Take advantage of the Comcast Cable Card Pairing Number... they do a great job.
(877) 405-2298
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It does work. The TiVo searches out the programs on their new channels. However, you could end up with a Season Pass on an HD channel moved to an SD channel (or vice versa, I suppose).
A simple once over to make sure the desired HD or SD channel is selected would fix that concern I would hope.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
hillstrubl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
My thought is that TiVo is smart enough after running guided setup, to find the season passes on the new channels.

Why are you switching from FIOS?
The price keeps creeping up, 2 promotions i had are expiring and they wont renew them. Comcast in my area is doing a huge push to re-obtain former customers who jumped to fios a few years ago.

I'm getting a great deal from their "white glove" sales channel, ab.out $80/mo cheaper for nearly identical service. Prices guaranteed for 24 months. Who knows, ill reassess in 2 years.
hillstrubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Bigg

You're going to miss FIOS after getting used to the far superior PQ...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #8
MrDell

[quote=Teeps;9872151

Why are you switching from FIOS?[/QUOTE]

I Must admit after 6 years with Fios I am leaving them also. I am going back to Cox because Fios fees are going out of control. Just the card rental fee is $3.00 a month more, and they won't budge on their two year contracts. By switching I am saving over $28.00/ Month for the same service. This adds up at the end of the year.
MrDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDell View Post
I Must admit after 6 years with Fios I am leaving them also. I am going back to Cox because Fios fees are going out of control. Just the card rental fee is $3.00 a month more, and they won't budge on their two year contracts. By switching I am saving over $28.00/ Month for the same service. This adds up at the end of the year.
$28 a month saving = a no brainer for me too.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
hooper

So does Comcast use SDV and tuning adapters? Or is that specific to certain markets only?

I will probably be leaving Fios when my contract ends early next year as my price will jump 30 dollars unless I downgrade everything.
hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Same here, I was plannnig to leave, except I just noticed quite a few, well, half a dozen new hd channels showed up recently.

If FIOS keeps adding these, seems to have gotten around the 2+ year bottleneck in their cable implementation, I'll stay another round.

My contract is up in Feb, so I have time
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper View Post
So does Comcast use SDV and tuning adapters? Or is that specific to certain markets only?

I will probably be leaving Fios when my contract ends early next year as my price will jump 30 dollars unless I downgrade everything.
Comcast does NOT use SDV. They have shut down analog, and upgraded to 860mhz in many (but not all, mine is 650mhz) markets. They are not using MPEG-4 yet, although that's the next logical step for them.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote