TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-06-2015, 01:28 AM   #1
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

True Detective S02E03 "Maybe Tomorrow" 7/5/2015 *spoilers*

So whoever guessed rubber bullets in last week's thread was correct. But even still, that was a pretty lame explanation. Rubber bullets from a .12 gauge at that range would probably kill him and would definitely penetrate the skin.

So Paul's army/black ops buddy was also his lover, and the guy wants to start things up again, but it seems Paul is trying to put that in his past.

Was it purely coincidence that the Caddy they were looking for got torched right around the corner from where they were, or did the masked guy do that on purpose?

Who is coming after Frank? Is it related to the Casper thing, or did someone smell blood in the water because of the Casper thing?

Old 07-06-2015, 06:01 AM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
So Paul's army/black ops buddy was also his lover, and the guy wants to start things up again, but it seems Paul is trying to put that in his past.
He seems to be one of those "Yeah, I've had sex with guys, but that doesn't make me gay...and I'll beat the crap out of anybody who says otherwise" types.

I thought it was telling that he was surprised that the gay hooker was able to have sex with women...that must be gnawing at him!

Old 07-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
Cainebj

I know a lot of people said they would be annoyed if he wasn't dead - but I'm OK with how it turned out. It may have been manipulative but I enjoyed the shock of seeing him shot, the wondering if he was out of it and then glad CF remains in the cast. (of course I watched Ep 2 a few hours before Ep3 so I didn't have long to wait).

Taylor Kitsch being a closet gay? As long as we get to see him come to terms with it and by that I mean a good gay sex scene

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
astrohip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I know a lot of people said they would be annoyed if he wasn't dead - but I'm OK with how it turned out.
Same here. I was prepared to be pissed off and feel manipulated, but I was ok with it. They handled it quickly, and then moved on.

I thought this was a good episode. The story is moving, and all the characters are starting to get twisted up in the various scheming. My only complaint, and I can live with it for now, is the Frank character is miscast. VV is ok, but with a better actor for this specific role, they could have knocked this outa the park. VV can be great in some roles, but he's just a little off in this one.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Well, they are setting up a lot of potential red herrings... first by hinting that the birdman might have been a cop, and then with the movie set and repeated use of costumes as if to hint that the movie folks are involved.

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Same here. I was prepared to be pissed off and feel manipulated, but I was ok with it. They handled it quickly, and then moved on.
And they used it to introduce a plot-point (the theory that the killer is a cop)...

Old 07-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
My only complaint, and I can live with it for now, is the Frank character is miscast. VV is ok, but with a better actor for this specific role, they could have knocked this outa the park. VV can be great in some roles, but he's just a little off in this one.
I liked him much better in this episode. I think this ep allowed him a little more dramatic range, which was believable for me.

markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
I liked him much better in this episode. I think this ep allowed him a little more dramatic range, which was believable for me.
Nah, I still don't buy him as a tough guy, or as somebody who commands fear and respect. He's just too much of a lightweight to nail the role.

It doesn't ruin the show, but it would be a better show with a stronger performance in this role...

Old 07-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Nah, I still don't buy him as a tough guy, or as somebody who commands fear and respect. He's just too much of a lightweight to nail the role.

It doesn't ruin the show, but it would be a better show with a stronger performance in this role...
I do find the elements of desperation/fear to be more believable than the tough guy stuff, though he did raise his voice above the controlled monotone in this episode.

markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
Cainebj

While I have been surprised by Vince in the show so far - the fight scene was ridiculous. No way he would have won that against the other guy. Just don't believe it.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #11
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Well, that guy was pretty fat and out of shape. If he's not really a fighter, those first couple of jabs to the face would have taken him out of whatever motivation/bravado that he had. I didn't have a hard time believing it.

I really liked last night's ep. The pieces are in play and starting to move.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Well, that guy was pretty fat and out of shape. If he's not really a fighter, those first couple of jabs to the face would have taken him out of whatever motivation/bravado that he had. I didn't have a hard time believing it.
I had a hard time believing it because he looked like somebody who could fight and Vaughn didn't...and that's while they were fighting.

I kinda felt sorry for the big guy, having to pretend he was that pathetic. It reminded me of cheap horror movies where somebody's being attacked by a dog, and the victim is holding the dog's face to him and screaming in horror, while the dog is alternately trying to get away and lick his face.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:58 AM   #13
cheesesteak
Meh.

There are too many moody, monotone people on this show.

I had no problem believing VV's character could win that fight so convincingly. Just because a guy is big doesn't mean he can hold his own against a real tough guy and the big guy wasn't just big, he was fat and out of shape.

"I handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail." - Muhammed Ali
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:58 AM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

That may be, but Vince Vaughn doesn't look like he could kill anything other than a martini.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #15
cheesesteak
Meh.

I just looked Vince Vaughn up on IMDB. Even though I knew who he was, I don't think I've seen a single movie or tv show he's been in other than this season's True Detective. I don't have his previous characters influencing his current characters in my mind. To me, he's doing an adequate job of portraying a former tough guy who's beginning to revert back to his previous ways.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #16
cheesesteak
Meh.

Here's an article about the real city Vinci is probably based on:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/let...ect-1715997419

Old 07-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #17
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
There are too many moody, monotone people on this show.
I agree.

I'm slowly losing interest in this season. The previous episode's shooting was not satisfactorily resolved for me. If you're going to pull a GoT-style shock move and kill the main character, then have the guts to follow through with it. Don't pull this rubber bullet nonsense.

Nobody is likeable. Most characters aren't even interesting. I don't care who killed the murder victim in the season premier. I don't care whether Vince Vaughn's land deal succeeds.

The one thing I do like is the opening credits.

smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #18
inaka

And with that episode, I have lost interest in this show.

The "rubber bullets" thing was completely lame, but that really isn't the reason why I have lost interest.

In season one, each episode was basically a character study, largely through dialogue, shaping the characters played by Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey. Each week would build more and more about how complex their relationship was, but also we got invested in them, and the crime itself.

This season? I really don't care who about any of them. They're all miserable, and just plain boring. I never felt that way with season one. With season one, I felt that each character had moments when they showed them in their prime, (sometimes via flashbacks) and then also showed their fall from grace. You rooted for them, even in their misery and even with their faults. On top of that, the cinematography and beautiful sunsets/views from Louisiana were almost another character of the show. With this cast, I'm not rooting for any of them, really don't care about any of them, and the industrial wasteland that is the backdrop only adds to the miserable boring nature of the town and the characters.

If there wasn't a Season One with the stellar performances of Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey, and this season stood on its own, I don't think it would even be remotely considered must see TV. It's completely dull.

inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #19
cheesesteak
Meh.

The rubber bullets thing was dumb. They should have just had the shooter knock him unconscious or something.

I guess this is modern film noir but what's the point of having a cast of undynamic characters that nobody likes?

Old 07-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #20
zalusky

TC CLUB MEMBER
I find my mind wandering and not paying attention to detail and as a result I get more and more confused by who what when why where of the whatever connections that are going on.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #21
teknikel

I echo the sentiments of the last 4 posts. It took me two attempts to finish this episode and for the first time, I understand "doing other things" while a show is on.

I'll see how they get to halftime. If it looks like a blowout I may be done until I hear some "must-see" chat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
teknikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #22
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

I'm not into this season but still watching.

My first thought on seeing that Vince Vaughn and Rachel McAdams were in the cast was "Wedding Crashers." I'm hoping that Owen Wilson will show up and the show will turn into Wedding Crashers 2.

tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #23
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

For fans of Season 1, there's an OGN (Original Graphic Novel, i.e. first printed in book form, not serialized) just published of The King in Yellow, adapting the four King in Yellow/Lost Carcosa stories that played such a large role in Season 1.

http://www.amazon.com/The-King-Yello.../dp/1906838925

Old 07-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #24
mm2margaret
Meagan

I echo other's sentiments; none of these characters are interesting, nor are the actor's portrayals compelling. Perhaps only with the small exception of Rachel McAdams - note that I said "small"......I will repeat what I said before, only with much more force: I cannot stand Colin Farrell.......

I have lost interest.....but I will watch a few more and hope for better....

Old 07-07-2015, 08:39 PM   #25
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I need to try binge watching Season 1. I never saw it.

Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #26
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
I need to try binge watching Season 1. I never saw it.
If you haven't seen it yet, you certainly should; it's really good (IMO). But in terms of plot development or characters it has nothing to do with season 2. It's a completely different story connected only by similar themes.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #27
mm2margaret
Meagan

I'm not the only one who sees this season as not very good: http://www.seattletimes.com/entertai...is-not-so-hot/

And the fact that it's not very good does not give me any joy. The truth is none of these actors is as capable as McConaughey or Harrelson....

Old 07-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #28
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
And with that episode, I have lost interest in this show.

The "rubber bullets" thing was completely lame, but that really isn't the reason why I have lost interest.

In season one, each episode was basically a character study, largely through dialogue, shaping the characters played by Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey. Each week would build more and more about how complex their relationship was, but also we got invested in them, and the crime itself.

This season? I really don't care who about any of them. They're all miserable, and just plain boring. I never felt that way with season one. With season one, I felt that each character had moments when they showed them in their prime, (sometimes via flashbacks) and then also showed their fall from grace. You rooted for them, even in their misery and even with their faults. On top of that, the cinematography and beautiful sunsets/views from Louisiana were almost another character of the show. With this cast, I'm not rooting for any of them, really don't care about any of them, and the industrial wasteland that is the backdrop only adds to the miserable boring nature of the town and the characters.

If there wasn't a Season One with the stellar performances of Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey, and this season stood on its own, I don't think it would even be remotely considered must see TV. It's completely dull.
Yes. I can't remember the last time I watched 3 hours of something this poor. SP deleted.

Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #29
danterner
Not it!

I think Season One kicked into a higher gear a few episodes in (with the fence jump - was that episode 4 or so?) But it was stronger from the start. I think I'm invested in this season just enough for one more episode. If there's no fence jump equivalent, I may be out.

| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #30
pjenkins
God bless Texas :)

I keep trying to watch, and keep falling asleep - which is a good indication that the show is boring! I even started this episode at 10pm last night and was wide awake when it started, it's just so dull and boring - the only thing that had me back was to see how they handled CF's death - then it's rubber bullets? LMAO. At point blank range into the gut from a 12 gauge that is gonna kill you esp after taking a first shot into the chest. No believable in the least, and a really really REALLY horrible storytelling line. Made me actually laugh to see him just rip open his shirt (w/no bullet proof vest) and being like "oh, ok, i'm fine". Just so patently ridiculous.

pjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote