TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #1
Peter000

Netflix "Between" Series Spoilers

On a whim I checked out Episode 1. It was okay enough to keep watching.

Plot: Small town Lord of the Flys. A mysterious illness is killing off people older than 21.

Oddly Netflix is releasing episodes weekly. Probably good, otherwise I'd probably binge it though I have more pressing stuff to do.

Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
MikeCC
TiVotee

I suspect Netflix is doing the weekly download as a courtesy to the Canadian network, since they are showing the series now, once a week.

Now we get to see if Jennette McCurdy kept her dramatic acting chops. McCurdy (Nickelodeon's Sam Puckett from iCarly and Sam & Cat) was much more of a very young dramatic actress before doing the comedy shows on Nick. I remember an episode of SVU, when Jennette blew my mind, she was so good.

At this point, she plays a moody, sullen pregnant preacher's daughter pretty well, but the emoting is dialed back because of girl is low key.

And man, do those Canadians enforce of strict quarantine!

MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
ElJay

The production values (acting, budget) are clearly a lot lower than most of the other Netflix-branded content. But I like the genre and for six episodes I guess it might work as a summer filler show.

ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
Cainebj

Does anyone know what day new episodes air?

I liked it. (although one more show with a town that no one can get out of!!!)

Some of those Canadians are majorly bad actors.
I never heard of Jennette McCurdy and man was she bad during the birthing scene.
The guy who plays the rich guy. He's pretty bad too.

Otherwise - more hot guys in their underwear? I'm in.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
Peter000

I think there's a new ep today.

If you get to the list of eps they have a release date under each unreleased episode. Essentially every Thursday.

I was thinking that it would be cool if Netflix had series notifications of some sort where they would alert viewers of episode availability.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:36 PM   #6
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
I think there's a new ep today.

If you get to the list of eps they have a release date under each unreleased episode. Essentially every Thursday.

I was thinking that it would be cool if Netflix had series notifications of some sort where they would alert viewers of episode availability.
Tivo's OnePass should automatically add new episodes to Now Playing. I haven't been able to get it to work with this series though. I can't find Between in my search.

realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:59 AM   #7
wprager

Jennette McCurdy is not Canadian. The show is filmed/produced in Canada and most of the crew and some supporting actors would be Canadian. Canadians actors aren't bad but most of the good ones are already in Hollywood. Canadian production values, well, that's another story. They are getting better but, usually, you can still tell.

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:44 AM   #8
Cainebj

Episode 2 - Who's The Boss?

Still watching still enjoying - mostly because there really is nothing happening on TV right now - - - but boy is the acting getting worse. Between the mentally challenged sister and all the kids - yikes!!!

It is moments like the first scene and what happened to the older brother kid that are keeping me interested. His younger sister - she is the perfect sympathetic waif.

One thing I found ridiculous was everyone standing around the crematorium pit - I can't even imagine what the smell would be like with thousands of burning bodies. Nice image but really...

Are we supposed to think this is happening in Canada or is it a unknown country/place?

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Are we supposed to think this is happening in Canada or is it a unknown country/place?
Well, their government has "ministers," so if it's not Canada, it's another English-speaking country without accents that's not America...

Old 05-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #10
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
Jennette McCurdy is not Canadian. The show is filmed/produced in Canada and most of the crew and some supporting actors would be Canadian. Canadians actors aren't bad but most of the good ones are already in Hollywood. Canadian production values, well, that's another story. They are getting better but, usually, you can still tell.
Mwah, quite a lot of US shows are actually being filmed in Canada with huge chunks of the crews being Canadian, including the actors.

What I think here is the problem tho is that the actors are rather young...

AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:35 PM   #11
ElJay

The little girl who lost her brother in the car accident is the best actor on the show.

ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:52 PM   #12
wprager

Found it on-demand, about 2/3 of the way through the second episode. It's alright, I guess.

Ay theories on this one? Something going on that stopped 22 years ago (waste material, alien spacecraft leaking something), and then something else happened more recently as a trigger.

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:05 PM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

It's weird that the cut-off is so precise. And good, I think, that they bring that up in the show.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
On a whim I checked out Episode 1. It was okay enough to keep watching.

Plot: Small town Lord of the Flys. A mysterious illness is killing off people older than 21.

Oddly Netflix is releasing episodes weekly. Probably good, otherwise I'd probably binge it though I have more pressing stuff to do.
I just heard about this show. It sounds like something I might like. I guess it's good that I heard about it now because I would be pissed to have to wait for it weekly. I hate that about many of the Amazon series.

With only six episodes I should have no problem watching Season 1 of "Between" this weekend. If I like it. I never did get back to Sense8.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-17-2015 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling....doH!!!!
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I saw the first couple of these when they aired in Canada a while back, and while the premise was interesting, the acting was terrible...it was like a high school production. Unwatchable for me.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #16
Peter000

I watched the first few, then just stopped until the season finale, which I watched just to see how it resolved. I'm passing on anything else.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:42 PM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

I finished watching this today and enjoyed the six episodes of season 1. I am definitely looking forward to Season 2 next year. I might even watch it weekly

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote