TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
tootal2

Do you like the new history channel better then the old history channel?

Do you like the new realty tv history channel more then the old documentary history channel?
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
sieglinde

No
Old 06-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
Azlen

The ratings for the new History Channel are higher than they were for the old. I may not like it but I understand how business works so I don't begrudge them for it.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #4
Bananfish
Preowned Member

I know this: I'm a history buff, and i just thumbed through two weeks of History Channel listings this morning ... and did not find one show worth recording. Sorry, Pawn Stars is somewhat entertaining, but it's not why I look through History Channel listings.
DVD: PS3 & DMP-BDT220 (LR)/A3 HD-DVD (BR)
AVR: Pio Elite 1120/Onkyo HT-S650
Spkrs: KEF T Series
Remote: Harmony 550
Bananfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

That's why I spend most of my time on H2 now....
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #6
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
That's why I spend most of my time on H2 now....
I think the offerings on H2 are getting better.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #7
stahta01
Simple Member

I don't have Cable; so, never seen the History channel.

But, it sounds like the "old" History channel is now history; but, "new" History channel is NOT history. This seems like something I can use to make a pun; but, not seeing it.

Tim S.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #8
jamesl

was watching PBS the other day
they had a very short "commercial" asking for support

the pitch was something like "look at The History Channel, The Discovery Channel and Bravo. Now look at the documentaries, the classical musical and educational shows on PBS. Do you want to watch Pawn Stars or Nova"

I thought it was pretty funny

I love PBS
they do have some really great shows

Bob Ross Remixed | Happy Little Clouds | PBS Digital Studios
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I don't watch any reality TV. If the new History Channel is all reality TV, then I don't like it. I've never seen a second of Pawn Stars. I remember stopping on shows on the channel in the past. Shows about WWII and such.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
sieglinde

Some of the reality stuff is OK. I just realized a program I was thinking of, Ultimate Survival Alaska was on National Geographic
Old 06-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
sieglinde

What I loved on the History channel was dramatizations such as Hatfields and McCoys or the one about Andrew Jackson or the war of 1812. I love the Vikings.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
tootal2

why would the ratings for the new history channel be higher? I use to watch the history channel a lot. now only watch the new pawn stars and modern marvels. and I only record new pawn stars since it is on way to much to record.

I think there ratings should be down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
The ratings for the new History Channel are higher than they were for the old. I may not like it but I understand how business works so I don't begrudge them for it.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
cheesesteak
Meh.

The History Channel sucks. I'm pretty sure H2 will be infested with reality crap too in a couple of years.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
MarkofT

The reality shows y'all hate is what's left for History to show. They have already covered pretty much everything that can be used to build a new show, so they now have to cover history piecemeal.

So instead of the old lecture shows, they have short 5 minute history lessons wrapped in a bit of personal story. And they can skip from antique pistols to tin toys to automobiles to fine art.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
why would the ratings for the new history channel be higher? I use to watch the history channel a lot. now only watch the new pawn stars and modern marvels. and I only record new pawn stars since it is on way to much to record.

That would be true if you were the only person to watch the History Channel...

The problem is, most people don't want to watch history, or science fiction, or science. Which is why the History, Sci-Fi, and Science channels have all turned largely into reality show networks.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
Azlen

Quote:

The History Channel is typically a top five cable network for prime time viewing. Here are the ratings for the week ending June 2nd.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...2-2013/185646/

Network (000s)
TNT 3729
DSNY 2383
USA 2341
HIST 2125
FOXN 1877
TBSC 1855
Old 06-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
was watching PBS the other day
they had a very short "commercial" asking for support

the pitch was something like "look at The History Channel, The Discovery Channel and Bravo. Now look at the documentaries, the classical musical and educational shows on PBS. Do you want to watch Pawn Stars or Nova"

I thought it was pretty funny

I love PBS
they do have some really great shows

Bob Ross Remixed | Happy Little Clouds | PBS Digital Studios
You need to upgrade your Flash Player
That was very well done. I love to watch Bob Ross paint. I find his programs to be very relaxing after a long day.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
tootal2

I don't even watch any of those channels in top 5. I use to watch usa when it had monk. There are a lot of good shows to watch on hulu and Netflix and amazon I only watch a few shows on history now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
The History Channel is typically a top five cable network for prime time viewing. Here are the ratings for the week ending June 2nd.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...2-2013/185646/

Network (000s)
TNT 3729
DSNY 2383
USA 2341
HIST 2125
FOXN 1877
TBSC 1855

Old 06-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
Azlen

Quote:
I don't even watch any of those channels in top 5. I use to watch usa when it had monk. There are a lot of good shows to watch on hulu and Netflix and amazon I only watch a few shows on history now.
While Netflix and Amazon do have some original content now, most of their TV shows do come from other places. Some from those networks that you say you never watch.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
WhiskeyTango

If showing Pawn Stars 100 times a week allows them to produce shows like Hatfields & McCoys and Vikings then I'm fine with it. I'd like to see more of these historical dramas.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #21
cheesesteak
Meh.

Even H2 documentaries are becoming annoying. For example, How Sex Changed The World is full of loud, obnoxious sound effects and the announcer sounds like a carnival barker. I have a hard time watching what should be an interesting show but they've tried so hard to make it entertaining to the short attention span audience that it's a turn off.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #22
sharkster

I just don't even get what the 'brand' is anymore.

Before, when its programming represented what one would think of as a 'History Channel' brand, they would not take on the Kennedy mini series as it didn't fit their brand. Now, it's 'hillbilly this and redneck that'. Seriously? Guess they changed brands somewhere along the line.

Needless to say, I don't watch the channel 99.999% of the time.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I just don't even get what the 'brand' is anymore.

Before, when its programming represented what one would think of as a 'History Channel' brand, they would not take on the Kennedy mini series as it didn't fit their brand. Now, it's 'hillbilly this and redneck that'. Seriously? Guess they changed brands somewhere along the line.
But that's become true of specialty channels in general. That they're NOT general, that is...that the more specialized they are, the more audience they lose, and thus the less specialized they become.

I fear the days of true specialty channels is gone, and now we'll have increasingly homogenized channels that lean in a certain direction (a reality channel with a sci-fi flavor, a reality channel with a history flavor, a reality channel with a science flavor, etc.). And I wish I were joking, but I'm at least 50% and possibly more than 75% serious.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #24
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Seeing how just a few days for the D-Day anniversary all History showed was a Pawn Stars marathon I am in the no camp. I understand that realty TV shows are cheap to make and get high ratings but this is a huge event in history. I like American Pickers as that has some history behind it but for me Pawn Stars is a stretch and I think that is their main show.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #25
sieglinde

See if they do that next June on the 70th Anniversary
Old 06-10-2013, 01:18 AM   #26
Worf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I fear the days of true specialty channels is gone, and now we'll have increasingly homogenized channels that lean in a certain direction (a reality channel with a sci-fi flavor, a reality channel with a history flavor, a reality channel with a science flavor, etc.). And I wish I were joking, but I'm at least 50% and possibly more than 75% serious.
It's probably because of threats like a la carte channel selection. So instead of being able to force people to take History and a dozen other History owned channels (each specializing, while the main History shows stuff the general public love so they'd subscribe and pull the other channels for "free").

With a la carte, it means you can pick and choose channels, so now each channel has to fight for subscribers. So all the formerly specialized channels now have to branch out and appeal to others on their own so people picking and choosing will pick them as well.

You also see this when top-line shows are redistributed, for the same reason. The other channels will carry them eventually - delayed a season or so.

Just an unintended consequence - the channels are all under pressure to now pay their own way to attract subscribers. No longer can they just rely on carrying programming that a few of the History subscribers will find interesting, but they must carry programming that appeals to not just history subscribers, but the general public as well so they'd pick up the channel as well.

Something like History or Discovery channel usually demand that if a subscriber carries them, then their six other sister channels must be in as well. All of which get paid for. (Something like Discovery costs $0.25 per subscriber per month, but because they have to be bundled with a half dozen other channels means the real cost is just under $0.50 per subscriber per channel).
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:35 AM   #27
Barmat

We don't have a la carte and we never will as long as FCC heads are former cable execs or industry heads. What is wrong with starting a channel for a niche audience and staying with that niche? Must all channels try to forever increase their ratings even if destroys the purpose they were created for? Is every one just in it for greed's sake? Do the people that own and operate these channels care nothing about the channels purpose?

I used to be a loyal Sci - Fi channel viewer right from the beginning. When they started showing nothing but light fluff sci - fi I stopped watching anything on that channel. Defiance is just a smidgen above awe full. Their horrible Monster of the week movies, wrestling, reality shows and lack of hard Sci-Fi drove me away. Now my sci-fi viewing is scattered all over the channel grid.
Barmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Those in favor of a la carte, be careful what you wish for. If everything goes a la carte, instead of "choice" you will wind up with a lot fewer channels to choose from as channels like H2 with marginal ratings will just be disbanded. And as stated above, the existing "niche" channels will move more and more into general programming which will eventually resemble the big four networks. Is that what everyone here really wants?

The biggest proponents of a la carte are those that don't watch sports. Sports is what drives up the cost of TV (full disclosure, I'm an AVID sports fan, who's viewing every week is probably about 25% sports related). So better than a la carte and fewer choices, I'd suggest better use of tiering. Sports in one teir, maybe drama channels in another, and comedy in a third, documentary in a 4th. That sort of thing. Pay for the TEIRS you want, not the individual channels. That makes more sense, and would probably be cheaper to the consumer in the long run.

As far as History, I can't stand most reality shows. They've turned into "freak shows" for the most part. Most of the starts of reality shows are freaks of some sort (if they were regular people, would they be remotely interesting?). Of course freak shows have always sold well throughout history, so this is nothing new, just on a more modern scale. I find straightforward documentaries on subjects I like far more interesting than this stuff. So I don't watch History all that often anymore. MTV built the model that all channels follow now. They moved away from their core years ago, and other channels have realized that they no long have to be what's in their title. How long before History rebrands to HTV?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #29
MarkofT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmat View Post
We don't have a la carte and we never will as long as FCC heads are former cable execs or industry heads. What is wrong with starting a channel for a niche audience and staying with that niche? Must all channels try to forever increase their ratings even if destroys the purpose they were created for? Is every one just in it for greed's sake? Do the people that own and operate these channels care nothing about the channels purpose?
Not everyone. But most channels are part of a larger corporation. They get put on more systems due to bundling. So most channels get pushed into appealing to the largest audience possible and away from why they were founded.

I don't see this as what has happened with History. Their shows are all still history focused, just some are appealing to those with shorter attention spans. Unlike SyFy who has morphed into USAToo.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #30
mattack

Can't believe nobody has made the "Hitler Channel" reference yet.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote