TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
JYoung
Series 3

Arrow - S01E23 - "Sacrifice" 05/15/2013

I'm amused by that fact that both Arrow and Supernatural had season finales titled "Sacrifice".

However, Oliver Queen, you have failed this city.

To be fair, I didn't see the second device coming either but Malcolm has been one step ahead for a while now so it's not a total stretch.

It looked to me like the second device didn't destroy all of the Glades but maybe half of it?
(Certainly the Arrow Lair was intact.)

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy. Well, I didn't see that death coming. And it was set up well.
I really enjoyed Colin Donnell's acting this episode for not only his death scene but his reaction to Malcolm playing his mother's voicemail.

And Diggle to the rescue!
I was a tad concerned that they might off Diggle when you consider how they seem to be playing up Roy (and it's also amusing that on last week's episode of Blue Bloods, David Ramsey's character
Spoiler:
was shot and possibly crippled
.)

Also nice to see Quinten be a hero too and I thought his goodbye to Laurel was heartfelt as well.

With all that was going on, it would have been easy to miss Oliver's first kill back on the island was Fyers.

So what happens next season?
Rebuilding?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
john4200

I thought the season finale was underwhelming. The main problem is that it was rushed, since they also tried to fit in quite a bit of flashback.

Malcolm's "death" scene was the most rushed. Oliver just ran out of there, and who knows what Diggle did. Did he check to see if Malcolm was really dead? People seem to survive a lot of serious wounds in this show. Also, Oliver's only tactics modification was to shoot an arrow that had a flash bang on it. That makes Oliver look particularly foolish. Smartest thing would have been to bring a gun. Failing that, at least put something on the arrow that would do more than stun the guy for a second.

When Tommy rescued Laurel, I got a bad feeling that Laurel is going to pull back from Oliver because she will feel guilty for getting Tommy killed. It is partially her fault -- Oliver and her dad both told her not to go near the Glades, but she did it anyway, and not even for a good reason (looked like she was picking up records and/or possessions). Hopefully I'm wrong, but I have a feeling the writers will be looking for a way to turn back their relationship. Maybe they'll do it from Oliver's side.

Which brings me to the question for Oliver, "what next?". Is he going to tell Laurel and his mother all his secrets? If Malcolm really is dead, will there be another big bad? Deadeye does not seem quite arch-nemesis material like Malcolm. Someone had speculated that Tommy might turn bad, but that is out now, so Oliver is left without an arch nemesis at the moment.

The ending was very rushed. No final Oliver and Laurel scene. I was kind of expecting Oliver to come out of the building carrying Tommy's body, and to come up to Laurel. But no. And no Oliver and Thea scene (actually, Thea could be dead for all we know, not that I think that is likely), Roy's final scene was a mess, and no Oliver and his mother.

I wonder if Detective Lance will get his job back. If he does, it certainly does not seem like his heart will be in chasing Oliver anymore, unless he somehow blames Oliver for not stopping the other device. So with no Malcolm and no Detective Lance, will there only be villains of the week for Oliver to fight?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
With all that was going on, it would have been easy to miss Oliver's first kill back on the island was Fyers.
That entire scene was off for a number of reasons. First you can't "recall" a missile from a rocket launcher, at least not the fire and forget kind which is what that was (they said it was heat seeking). Second you have a huge explosion with both Slade and Fyers in the middle and not only do they survive, there's barely a scratch on them. Finally up until that point Oliver was still pretty much a wuss and suddenly he's an expert marksman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Malcolm's "death" scene was the most rushed. Oliver just ran out of there, and who knows what Diggle did. Did he check to see if Malcolm was really dead? People seem to survive a lot of serious wounds in this show. Also, Oliver's only tactics modification was to shoot an arrow that had a flash bang on it. That makes Oliver look particularly foolish. Smartest thing would have been to bring a gun. Failing that, at least put something on the arrow that would do more than stun the guy for a second.
Dingle and the cops tried to use guns (cops had machine guns) for what little that did them. The stun arrow was at least clever what with Oliver knowing that Malcolm can catch arrows. As for whether he's alive or dead, he was stabbed in the heart so he should be dead. Oliver did tell Tommy that he didn't kill Malcolm, but I'm pretty sure he was lying to Tommy so Tommy could die more or less content.

Speaking of arrows in the chest. Considering Oliver impaled himself with the arrow to get to Malcom, Oliver shouldn't have been in much better shape then Malcom. Even if he missed all his own internal organs, something like that would need surgery fairly quickly to prevent bleeding out. He didn't even put pressure on the wound.

Malcom is probably dead, but it would be nice if he came back as I like John Barrowman. He'll be in Philly for a ComicCon in 2 weeks. Maybe someone can ask him if he's coming back, though I doubt he's allowed to answer if he is.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
cheesesteak
Meh.

An arrow explodes in Merlin's face and the next scene they're fist fighting all over the roof? Oliver, you dope. Kill Merlin while he's stunned.

I didn't see the second device coming but I did wonder why they didn't just blow up the first device instead of disarming it. Yes, everybody in tv land has immediate access to C4.

I guess we'll never know where Merlin got his arrow catching skillz.

I never liked Tommy but I didn't expect him to die. I expected him to be the Black Hood II.

Roy sucks.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
morac
Cat God

Someone asked John Barrowman on Twitter if he was coming back for season 2, but as I expected he just replied "???".
Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I guess we'll never know where Merlin got his arrow catching skillz.
Maybe the same place Huntress did. Apparently it's way to learn. Of course if a person can catch arrows shot at his/her head, shoot him/her in the leg or foot and then shoot at the head.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
First you can't "recall" a missile from a rocket launcher, at least not the fire and forget kind which is what that was (they said it was heat seeking). Second you have a huge explosion with both Slade and Fyers in the middle and not only do they survive, there's barely a scratch on them.
I missed that it was heat seeking but that's pretty much TV for you.

Quote:
Finally up until that point Oliver was still pretty much a wuss and suddenly he's an expert marksman?
I believe that they implied that he did more practicing with the bow after Ollie and Shado had their moment in the forest.
And the point wasn't so much that it was an expert shot but the fact that he killed Fyers.

Dingle and the cops tried to use guns (cops had machine guns) for what little that did them. The stun arrow was at least clever what with Oliver knowing that Malcolm can catch arrows. As for whether he's alive or dead, he was stabbed in the heart so he should be dead. Oliver did tell Tommy that he didn't kill Malcolm, but I'm pretty sure he was lying to Tommy so Tommy could die more or less content.

Speaking of arrows in the chest. Considering Oliver impaled himself with the arrow to get to Malcom, Oliver shouldn't have been in much better shape then Malcom. Even if he missed all his own internal organs, something like that would need surgery fairly quickly to prevent bleeding out. He didn't even put pressure on the wound.

Malcom is probably dead, but it would be nice if he came back as I like John Barrowman. He'll be in Philly for a ComicCon in 2 weeks. Maybe someone can ask him if he's coming back, though I doubt he's allowed to answer if he is.[/quote]

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
morac
Cat God

Arrow - S01E23 - "Sacrifice" 05/15/2013

Quote:
Someone asked John Barrowman on Twitter if he was coming back for season 2, but as I expected he just replied "???".
He gave a more definitive answer today.

Spoiler:
"don't worry I'm not finished with Arrow"
http://twitter.com/#!/Team_Barrowman/status/336869147717799936

Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
john4200

Quote:
He gave a more definitive answer today.
Spoiler:
"don't worry I'm not finished with Arrow"
http://twitter.com/#!/Team_Barrowman...69147717799936
Spoiler:
Does not necessarily mean he is still alive (although I would not be surprised if he is given that Deadshot still is). It could be that he will appear in flashbacks, maybe showing how he became the Dark Archer.

Last edited by john4200 : 05-21-2013 at 07:38 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
...I believe that they implied that he did more practicing with the bow after Ollie and Shado had their moment in the forest.
And the point wasn't so much that it was an expert shot but the fact that he killed Fyers....
Finally caught up to view this ep....and, yes, he had been in training and practicing, so it was no stretch (to me at least) that he could nail Fyers...

Gotta say I really enjoy this series (though am not a fan of comic books), and this season finale was certainly filled with a lot of action.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote