TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
DeDondeEs

Mad Men "A Tale of Two Cities" 6/2/13

At least this season they kept the obligatory soul-searching trip to LA episode interesting by including some story lines from what was happening back at the office as well. In previous seasons they would have kept that part where he was imagining/dreaming about people while drowning going almost the full episode.

Was I hearing things or did they have news footage where the reporter was saying that it was the 1972 Democratic National Convention? That threw me off for a while, I was thinking how did they skip ahead 4 years in a few episodes? But if me or Wikipedia aren't mistaken wasn't the Chicago National Convention where they had the riots in 1968? I need to go back and listen to that part.

Last edited by DeDondeEs : 06-03-2013 at 09:04 AM.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
Zevida
witless and unarmed

It was the 68 convention and they were talking about what they planned to do in 72.

Don getting stoned again, meh.

I thought it was very interesting that twice in this episode Peggy felt she could predict and control Ted and both times he had no time for her opinion. We didn't get enough time with them at CGC to know if that's normal or unusual. In either case, the point was to illustrate how Ted is really just another Don and Peggy really doesn't know him as we'll as she thinks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
weaver

I heard 1972 as well.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I enjoyed the episode. Except Roger being a d-bag to the Danny guy. But he got what he deserved in the end.

Loved that Joan went ahead with the meeting and hope they get the account. I wish Peggy had been a bit more aggressive/covered Joan's back. That would have been sweet.

I really don't like the roger type guy from the other place. Can someone explain the whole bit about the company name and why the solution is better for Ted's gang instead of Don's gang?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Satchel

Yes, they did mention the 72 convention, but it was clearly still 68, with all the Chicago Democratic convention violence that went along with it.

As Pete sat down with the joint, I decided I think he is going to leave...take that job in Kansas City or wherever Duck said it was in the last episode when they had lunch.

Poor Joan can't win...she realizes she really has nothing to do. Hope that Avon guy calls back...since he sent a big box of samples, I'm guessing he will.

Ginsberg needs 4 or 5 right to the face.

Really getting tired of Don. This show needs more Roger and more Betty.

Roger getting punched in his "personal area" was perfect.
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
I heard 1972 as well.
Zevida nailed it tho.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
It was the 68 convention and they were talking about what they planned to do in 72.
Ah, that's it. Thanks! I think that confused a lot of people because I looked on Twitter and there were lots of people questioning how it was 1972 already on Mad Men.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
vman41
Omega Consumer

They were talking about the rules changes for the 1972 convention (that got them McGovern as candidate, not such a smart move in retrospect).

Joan's awkward handling of the meeting with the Avon guy seemed out of character.

The name change was a consolation prize for losing control of the company, but done in a way that the losers (except for Pete) don't see what's going on. SCDP to SC&P, Don is most noticeably absent and doesn't care.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
sharkster

Was that Danny guy around before this? Creepy dude but, yeah, Roger really was a ****** toward him. Looked pretty much like he deserved it, though.

I've smoked a lot of hash in my day and never went THERE! Yikes, it was like he was on some really bad acid or something.

Enjoyed the episode, though. Pete still a major yuck. But I did enjoy the last scene when he grabs the guy's joint (initially I'm thinking he's pissed off about the guy smoking it) and then sits down and takes a hit. He could use some mellowing out.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I wish Peggy had been a bit more aggressive/covered Joan's back. That would have been sweet.
Well, as Peggy said, Joan did not have her back when she made her move from secretary to copywriter. But Peggy did eventually show herself to be the better woman and support Joan anyway.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I've smoked a lot of hash in my day and never went THERE! Yikes, it was like he was on some really bad acid or something.
I was er' thinking the same thing. But I think most of that hallucination was due to him being unconscious in the pool. I think the wardrobe people on that show did a really good job showing how Don and Roger are becoming older and out of touch with those suits they wore to that party. Then when Don was trying to explain his clients to one of the people at the party and they said that they haven't heard of any of them.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I was er' thinking the same thing. But I think most of that hallucination was due to him being unconscious in the pool.
Oh yeah, good point! Lack of oxygen'll do that to ya.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Well, as Peggy said, Joan did not have her back when she made her move from secretary to copywriter. But Peggy did eventually show herself to be the better woman and support Joan anyway.
True. And the bit with her sending the note in was perfect.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I was er' thinking the same thing. But I think most of that hallucination was due to him being unconscious in the pool. I think the wardrobe people on that show did a really good job showing how Don and Roger are becoming older and out of touch with those suits they wore to that party. Then when Don was trying to explain his clients to one of the people at the party and they said that they haven't heard of any of them.
Not only were they wildly overdressed, but then Don didn't even bother to loosen his tie when he saw how everyone else was dressed, and when he sat down to smoke the hash, he didn't even undo the button on his jacket. Clearly Don is much more uptight than the rest of the people at the party and becoming more and more out of touch with popular culture with every day that passes. And that's not a good thing for someone who is supposed to be able to create ad campaigns that specifically target that younger demographic.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
Joan's awkward handling of the meeting with the Avon guy seemed out of character.
Joan always seems wildly competent, but that's because she's always dealing with things she is competent to deal with. This was the first time we've really seen Joan dealing with something outside her skill set, at least in a professional setting. So from that standpoint, it wasn't that out of character to see her fumbling her way along. And I'm not sure what Pete was so upset about. It's not like Joan botched the meeting and they lost the chance at landing the account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
The name change was a consolation prize for losing control of the company, but done in a way that the losers (except for Pete) don't see what's going on. SCDP to SC&P, Don is most noticeably absent and doesn't care.
Exactly. Ted and Cutler are trying to soften up the SCDP partners because they're about to drop the bomb that they are really the ones in control of the firm.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #16
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchel View Post

Really getting tired of Don. This show needs more Roger and more Betty.
The less Betty the better
Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
And I'm not sure what Pete was so upset about. It's not like Joan botched the meeting and they lost the chance at landing the account.
Pete is stressed because there are too many partners and he doesn't have the job he wants, and they keep giving him stuff to do that he doesn't want "Head of New Business", then Joan goes and tries to horn in on the one thing he does really well.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #18
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
I'm not sure what Pete was so upset about. It's not like Joan botched the meeting and they lost the chance at landing the account.
I assume you profit financially from "your" accounts and not somebody else's.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Pete is stressed because there are too many partners and he doesn't have the job he wants, and they keep giving him stuff to do that he doesn't want "Head of New Business", then Joan goes and tries to horn in on the one thing he does really well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
I assume you profit financially from "your" accounts and not somebody else's.
But Pete is a partner, so a profitable new client coming into the firm is a good thing, regardless of whether it's "his" account. And since Ted just made him "head of new business," I'd assume that means he gets a piece of all new accounts brought in, regardless of whether they're "his" accounts or not.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Was that Danny guy around before this?
He was hired in season 4 because he was Jane's cousin. (Jane is Roger's most recent ex-wife.) He was terrible, but got a little better towards the end. He was let go in the second to last episode in season 4 when they were doing lay-offs after losing Lucky Strike.

- billypritchard
Old 06-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #21
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
But Pete is a partner, so a profitable new client coming into the firm is a good thing, regardless of whether it's "his" account. And since Ted just made him "head of new business," I'd assume that means he gets a piece of all new accounts brought in, regardless of whether they're "his" accounts or not.
It can matter a great deal as to how large that piece is.

We run on a similar system at our firm:

1. Partners get dividends in relation to the fraction of the revenue they brought it.
2. Partners also get a share (based on number of shares owned) of general company revenues that aren't included in line 1 (like sales of work by someone not a partner)
3. Partners also get improved valuation of their shares due to improved business, company assets, etc

So here, it matters a great deal whether an account is assigned to you or not. I'd expect SCDPCGC to be the same.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #22
sharkster

Quote:
He was hired in season 4 because he was Jane's cousin. (Jane is Roger's most recent ex-wife.) He was terrible, but got a little better towards the end. He was let go in the second to last episode in season 4 when they were doing lay-offs after losing Lucky Strike.
Ah, thanks! I don't know why I didn't remember him at all. He's sooooo very short, for a man, that I would have figured I'd remember him. I just snagged his name (actor's name - Danny Strong) and looked him up. It says he's 5'2" and I actually thought he looked shorter than that. Perhaps they specifically made him look even shorter for the purpose of that character.

He has done a lot of things of which I was unaware and has awards for them.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #23
Zevida
witless and unarmed

They made him look especially short in this episode. Though the scene when he shook hands saying good-bye to Don he looked really short too.

He played a recurring character on Buffy that I really enjoyed.

- billypritchard
Old 06-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #24
cheesesteak
Meh.

What the heck was the deal with Ginsburg? HE should have been fired on the spot for the things he said to Roger II.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #25
stellie93

Quote:
Not only were they wildly overdressed, but then Don didn't even bother to loosen his tie when he saw how everyone else was dressed,
IMO if you look like Don you can wear whatever you want and be accepted by any age group.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #26
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Is it just me or the women's fashion is god awful?!
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #27
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
He was hired in season 4 because he was Jane's cousin.
They interviewed him because he was Jane's cousin, they hired him because Don inadvertantly pitched Danny's 'cure for the common...' fixation and the client liked it. It might have been for Life cereal, which turned out to be a point of contention with the Carnation people.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #28
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Is it just me or the women's fashion is god awful?!
A mini skirt is never god awful. Joan's big bow may have some sort of way to convey her continuing loss of power.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #29
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
They made him look especially short in this episode. Though the scene when he shook hands saying good-bye to Don he looked really short too.

He played a recurring character on Buffy that I really enjoyed.
Anyone who looks short next to SMG is SHORT.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #30
lpamelaa

Mad Style recap: http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/06...wo-cities.html