TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
RickStrobel

Revolution - The Dark Tower 6/3/2013

Why would Randall shoot himself in the head after all that?

Bet the nukes don't go off - malfunction or some miraculous shutdown.
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
jamesl

even though he sees himself as a patriot he probably realizes others will see him as one of the greatest war criminals in history
he knows they will eventually break through the glass and he will be executed, maybe slowly
so better to die quickly

as for the nukes,
is it possible for them to turn the bugs back on and sap the electricity from them so they lose their guidance and detonation systems ?
nukes won't blow up just by falling from high altitude, they need to be triggered
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
I guess he figured mission accomplished, and he didn't want to starve to death in the control room, since he was never getting past the very angry people with super-guns on the other side of the door.

I noticed they didn't show the Prez...to be cast at a later date, I guess?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
morac
Cat God

Quote:

Bet the nukes don't go off - malfunction or some miraculous shutdown.
Like Randall said, he was a patriot and he basically had no chance of getting out of there without being captured and probably tortured for info.

As for the nukes, my bet is they shut the power off again. That's the only thing they can do from outside. They could turn the power off and then after the nukes crash, turn it back on. Somehow I doubt that's what the writers will come up with though.

Interesting though that the U.S. rebellion wasn't just rebels, but the actual old Government.

Wasn't Randall originally in the tower when the power went off though?

Finally we still don't know who set it up so that the power would go out using that back door code that Aaron talked about.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
kdmorse

Quote:
Why would Randall shoot himself in the head after all that?.
Same reason he shot the launch button (*). If he's dead, he can't be convinced/forced to abort the detonation. There's no stopping him now..

And yah, they're going to turn the power back off to stop the detonation. Then then the control room will mysteriously fritz out, and they'll spend the rest of the second season searching across the continent for the emergency backup control room which they'll find at the end of the season.

* (On second thought, that was maybe an abort button? That would make more sense... kinda...)
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
As for the nukes, my bet is they shut the power off again. That's the only thing they can do from outside. They could turn the power off and then after the nukes crash, turn it back on. Somehow I doubt that's what the writers will come up with though.
More likely, they'll leave it off because we've proven that we're too violent and mean and nasty to be trusted with power, because when we get the power back on, within seconds we send off nukes.

There's also the side effects that we saw in the desert outside...if the weather continues to go nuts, they might HAVE to turn it off/leave it off to prevent it from getting worse.

In fact, that might be the route they (the writers) go...let the nukes hit, take out Phillie and Atlanta, set up a whole new group of players, and then have to turn the power off again to save the world from the side effects when they get out of hand.

The cool thing is, it's pretty wide-open right now, and with a new set of very good, high-profile writers coming in, they can pretty much establish any kind of status quo they want at the beginning of Season 2. I doubt THEY know what they're going to do; I'd bet money they didn't know when they wrote this finalé, or rather, that whatever they had in mind is now irrelevant. It's a new era coming.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
SnakeEyes

high profile writers coming in?
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
high profile writers coming in?
I don't know if I'll be able to cope with that.

The ridiculousness of some of the 'plot' points is part of the show's charm. I kinda like it that way...
Old 06-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
RickStrobel

They better not turn the power back off! We spent an entire season turning it on. If it goes back off again I'm going to burn my TiVo.

I think they can keep it interesting for a couple of more seasons with a post-apocalyptic world that has had no power for 15 years.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
Azlen

Where's the obligatory "How was the infrastructure still in place that would enable all the lights to come back on" post?
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #11
SnakeEyes

Not sure, perhaps they're busy thread crapping on AVS.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
Ment

well I'll start by saying thats not how the electrical grid works.

So they literally rebooted for season 2. Is it our little band against the old Government now? Monroe will be redeemed for sure with that speech that Miles gave in the tent.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
I don't know if I'll be able to cope with that.

The ridiculousness of some of the 'plot' points is part of the show's charm. I kinda like it that way...
Well, it's the same creator/show-runner. So maybe he'll be able to mix the best of Revolution as it exists with elements of, y'know, well-written television.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Where's the obligatory "How was the infrastructure still in place that would enable all the lights to come back on" post?
Been there, done that, every time one of the amulets kicked in.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #14
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Blind Faith...

ANY show that opens with Blind Faith and "Can't Find My Way Home" is a winner with me...

Quite the season finale....tried to figure out who the prez is from the dark image...difficult.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #15
JTYoung1

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Like Randall said, he was a patriot and he basically had no chance of getting out of there without being captured and probably tortured for info.

Interesting though that the U.S. rebellion wasn't just rebels, but the actual old Government.

Wasn't Randall originally in the tower when the power went off though?

Finally we still don't know who set it up so that the power would go out using that back door code that Aaron talked about.
My money is on Ben setting it up so all the power would go out, he was the one saying that it was all going to turn off in the first episode.
JTYoung1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #16
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't think Aaron's "back door" into his code told him who was responsible for deliberately turning off the power. I think it just gave him his access to find that information embedded in the other programming code.

I hope someone knows how to make concrete, so they can fill up that hole at the front door of the tower. I think it's pretty stupid that they would have that big ass door and not have the framework around it reinforced to prevent exactly what the bad guys did to gain access.

And yeah, don't get us started on where all that power is coming from when the lights came back on.

I thought the squeaking ceiling fan was a nice touch.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #17
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
If they turn the power back off immediately I'll be disappointed.

They have a wealth of opportunity right now.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
pmyers

Quote:
Soon as the power came back on I told my wife that I couldn't wait to check out the people complaining on the Tivo board

I really liked the last 5 minutes with the nukes and the New America.

Sadly, Randall is right and they do need to clear out those towns to start over.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
pmyers

possible spoiler for next season but probably doesn't have anything to do with the plot

Spoiler:
I did read on the Revolution Facebook page that next season will be filmed in Austin, TX.....so maybe next season will focus on the Texas territory....or maybe it was just cheap to film there, I don't know.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

So, Miles is out to kill Bass for pretty much the back half of the season. But he won't now . . . because you're my brudder? In fairness, though, he did try to have him killed by yelling that he was escaping.

It's convenient that the ICBMs were all fueled up in the bullpens and had regular maintenance on the warheads. Cuz, ya never know when you might need to nuke certain parts of the country. And, obviously, the coordinates were already in the system for Philly and Atlanta.

Miles was pretty smart using rounds on the glass that would disintegrate on impact and not ricochet back into the room killing everybody.

I can't believe it, Aaron. That girl's standing over there listening and you're talking about back doors!?!

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
appleye1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
I can't believe it, Aaron. That girl's standing over there listening and you're talking about back doors!?!
Geez.

Mr. PotatoHead!, Mr. PotatoHead!, Back doors are not secrets!

I know that movie way too well!

I Cut The Cord! 02/11 (OTA Hulu+ Netflix)
TiVo user since 12/99
Yamms:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by appleye1 : 06-04-2013 at 05:48 PM.
appleye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #22
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
They better not turn the power back off! We spent an entire season turning it on. If it goes back off again I'm going to burn my TiVo.

I think they can keep it interesting for a couple of more seasons with a post-apocalyptic world that has had no power for 15 years.
This is a show about people dealing with life without power. If they keep the power on then this show just becomes any other generic action show but with a more interesting backstory. I think that in order to maintain the premise of the show, they've got to turn the power back off.

Quote:
Should have been the first post of the thread. It's not like there was "leftover" electricity in all the transmission wires that was just waiting to be pushed down to everyone's homes. Even homes with generators wouldn't have electricity because that motor wouldn't run after sitting idle for 15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
ANY show that opens with Blind Faith and "Can't Find My Way Home" is a winner with me...
Like the song, but thought that opening was super cheesy. Either do a "previously on" segment or don't, but to just have a musical montage makes no sense.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
teknikel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
This is a show about people dealing with life without power. If they keep the power on then this show just becomes any other generic action show but with a more interesting backstory. I think that in order to maintain the premise of the show, they've got to turn the power back off.
I thought this show was about "Revolution". Maybe this season was a chapter about dealing with life without power. The next season can be about coping with getting power back but the underlying theme would be "Revolution" and the change of power.

teknikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Soon as the power came back on I told my wife that I couldn't wait to check out the people complaining on the Tivo board
Yes, my thoughts also!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
It's convenient that the ICBMs were all fueled up in the bullpens and had regular maintenance on the warheads. Cuz, ya never know when you might need to nuke certain parts of the country. And, obviously, the coordinates were already in the system for Philly and Atlanta.
Yes, but this goes hand in hand with power just waiting to go into peoples appliances and not taking into account that the power generation grid has been idle for 15 years. So of course the ICBMs are ready to go and with new targeting info!

The above two points along with MANY similar technical silliness will just make most of us roll our eyes!!! The ONLY way to watch this show is to roll your eyes and then forget about it and move along. If it affects you more than that you shouldn't be watching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I really liked the last 5 minutes with the nukes and the New America.
Sadly, Randall is right and they do need to clear out those towns to start over.
Yes, I agree on both counts!!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #25
RickStrobel

I'll say this by prefacing that it doesn't bother me, just fun to think about...

Wouldn't it take longer than 2 minutes for ICBMs to reach Philly and Atlanta from CO?
Old 06-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #26
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I'll say this by prefacing that it doesn't bother me, just fun to think about...

Wouldn't it take longer than 2 minutes for ICBMs to reach Philly and Atlanta from CO?
It's gonna take MONTHS....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #27
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
It's gonna take MONTHS....
LOL
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #28
pmyers

Quote:

Not when it takes them 1 day to walk from Atlanta to Philly....LOL
Old 06-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #29
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

Actually, according to some Googling, ICBMs travel approximately 4 miles per second, and Colorado Springs to Philly is about 1,700 miles, so it would take about 7 minutes. 1,400 miles to Atlanta, so only about 5.5 minutes.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #30
kdmorse

Do we know who was playing (or voiced) the role of the President at the end?