TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #241
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
We gave up. Too much "background story" and not enough acts. Heidi always looks hot and you can see her perk up every time a hot guy takes off his shirt; (my kind of girl)
If only there were a way to fast-forward through the "background story" parts of the show...

Old 08-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #242
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:
We gave up. Too much "background story" and not enough acts.
That's what fast forwarding is for. When they have a 2 hour show I wait about 45 minutes before I start watching it.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #243
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
We gave up. Too much "background story" and not enough acts.
Just watch the Wednesday "recap" shows (the ones that are on before the results shows) - you see the entire act (and the post-act comments by the judges), but none of the pre-act background stories.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #244
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Just watch the Wednesday "recap" shows (the ones that are on before the results shows) - you see the entire act (and the post-act comments by the judges), but none of the pre-act background stories.
Interesting. We steer clear of the recaps. I didn't realize they showed the entire act. It would be nice to be able to let go of the remote now and then while watching this show. We didn't mind the stories and first, but now it's just the same thing over and over.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #245
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Quote:
We gave up. Too much "background story" and not enough acts. Heidi always looks hot and you can see her perk up every time a hot guy takes off his shirt; (my kind of girl)
You should catch her on TBS's Deal With It, last week she was a guest and told the guy "I am going to walk by you and you are going to smack my ahhss." He did and his girlfriend was pissed. Amusing.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #246
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I could swear that they edit either the judges or some of the acts.. I've been recording these and skimming through them for the VERY small bits of new material (sometimes _vaguely_ humorous host bits, the contestants talking AFTER they performed like on Idol), and since I sometimes have watched the full ep right before, I thought I have noticed edits in the act or judges' segment.. and not just the # to call in part.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #247
bryhamm
randomize

Wow, Timber Brown is sooooo good.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #248
Donbadabon
Geocacher

One thing that really annoys me is how Howie, and now Howard, really like to point out any little thing that went wrong.

Howie seems to do it to make them feel uncomfortable, for some reason he likes doing that. I am not sure why Howard is doing it, unless he wants to make sure everyone knows he saw it.

Like the little 11 year old girl that sang the country song. She was flawless until the very end where she said she had to swallow and that caused her to miss a beat in the lyrics. But Howie had to grill her on it, and Howard kept saying she lost her breath even though she already explained what happened.

We all heard it, she explained it, so why try to make her feel bad about it? I just don't get it.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #249
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

I fully believe the judges intentionally do this kind of stuff to manipulate the voting based on who they want to go through. I thought she was great and I was really disappointed she didnt make it through especially compared to the comedian that did. Of course, that was ultimately America's decision but I felt like the comedian fell flat. Howie is always going to side with the comedians. I guess at some point he used to be funny.. not sure when that was except for maybe Bobby's World.

I was okay with last night's picks. They all deserved it except for the comedian. The girl who sang the Cher song was really strong and is one of the front runners if she keeps it up. Timber Brown was pretty good too but I suspect they dog him out at his next performance unless he does something really crazy.

I dont think the comedian makes it any further. He wasnt that funny compared to his other appearances.

I thought Jimmy Rose did great as well and they kind of dogged him out too, especially Howie. I thought Howie's remarks were insulting, especially coming from someone who isnt American.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #250
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

The NBC press release for next Tuesday's episode says that each judge gets to bring back one wild card act, and it makes it sound like the four automatically go into the semi-finals (which makes sense, as you then have two semi-final rounds of 12).

There is another episode scheduled for next Thursday from 8 to 9, so it's possible that they can bring back more than four and base it on viewers' votes, but I don't see how the can unless they combine the performances with the normal results show on Wednesday.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #251
busyba
The Funcooker

I'm glad the girl didn't make it through. Even for her age, she's only an okay singer.

She's not even the best child singer in this season's AGT.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #252
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
Howie is always going to side with the comedians. I guess at some point he used to be funny.. not sure when that was except for maybe Bobby's World.
Howie is a brilliant comedian. His late 80's standup work was top tier.

If he seems less than stellar now, it's probably because he's suffering from the same "try to appeal to a broad audience" disease that Leno is afflicted with (although, unlike Howie, Leno was always a hack).

Old 08-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #253
newsposter
Poster of News

i FF thru 2 days shows in 5 minutes . only stopped at the comedian with the blind girl joke. i dont know how anyone could sit thru the rest of this. did on the last segment they really take over 13 minutes to vote out that little girl? really?

american idol isnt that bad

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #254
DouglasPHill

I have never found anything entertaining with Howie.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #255
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
I have never found anything entertaining with Howie.
Here he is from his earlier days:

"Hooray for HowieWould" (1990)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3EYZNoC_Ds

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #256
Cainebj

i was a little taken back by Heidi's comments on the comedian - she implied more than once that the AGT winner has to be family friendly in her mind
(i want to take my kids) - - -

so since when is family/kid friendly a criteria?

Last edited by Cainebj : 08-15-2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: more
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #257
SueAnn
Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
i was a little taken back by Heidi's comments on the comedian - she implied more than once that the AGT winner has to be family friendly in her mind

I noticed this ..... How many families take their kids to vegas to see a show ?
SueAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #258
busyba
The Funcooker

The comedian's tweaks on Heidi ("I'm not family friendly? Her job is to walk around in her underwear!!") were fantastic.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #259
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Howie is a brilliant comedian. His late 80's standup work was top tier.

If he seems less than stellar now, it's probably because he's suffering from the same "try to appeal to a broad audience" disease that Leno is afflicted with (although, unlike Howie, Leno was always a hack).
I can not believe that he has ended up on a show with Howard Stern, after what Howard did to Howie on his NYC Radio show decades ago!! Howie's book "Here's the Deal, Don't Touch Me" is a great and fast read!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #260
bruinfan

the comedian is great... he's quick on his feet, his delivery is great, his material is great... he's really funny.

Backstreet Boys:
I lasted through a quarter of their new song, and then they sang "I want it that way" which I kind of liked when it came out (guilty pleasure)....so I watched to see if they could reclaim some of their magic, but all I could think about was the old acapella group in 'Pitch Perfect', when they were singing in the lobby at regionals, hocking their merch.... so sad....
bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #261
nickels
opinionated dope

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinfan View Post
Backstreet Boys:
I lasted through a quarter of their new song, and then they sang "I want it that way" which I kind of liked when it came out (guilty pleasure)....
I wonder if Howard Stern was thinking the lyrics to his parody the whole time: The Gay Way. Funniest damn song parody ever. I can't hear the BB boys version without going right to the Stern lyrics. Too funny.

I can't wait until they weed out 90% of the opera and country singers, and any other acts who backstory is trumping their talents. *See the singing vet wives for another example.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #262
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post

Also, he didn't tell any dirty jokes at all, did he?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #263
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
I can not believe that he has ended up on a show with Howard Stern, after what Howard did to Howie on his NYC Radio show decades ago!! Howie's book "Here's the Deal, Don't Touch Me" is a great and fast read!
Can you summarize what Howard did?

I basically never listened to Howard Stern.. (Though I did listen to Alex Bennett long ago, who I think claims Stern basically stole his act... and I listen to Adam Carolla nowadays, who is crude & rude in ways that I used to think of Stern... but maybe even Stern sometimes had points mixed in with his crudeness...) Though somehow I really enjoyed the movie "Private Parts", even though it was at the same time I didn't like his radio show.. yeah, weird.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #264
nickels
opinionated dope

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Also, he didn't tell any dirty jokes at all, did he?
He did tell one joke about condoms and NY, how he didn't realize it is customary to just tie off the end when you are done and toss it into the street. My kids didn't even blink when he said it. They don't understand the jokes so they zone-out during the comedians.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #265
markymark_ctown

The deserving acts went thru, but a surprising choice with the "wild card"

Spoiler:
Bee Double Oh Tee Why is coming back!

markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #266
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was thinking it would funny if the brother and sister dancers would have ended up 4-5 and have made the judges pick between the two.

Overall I think last night's choices were fine. I am not a big comedian fan, so I would have picked the acrobats over them.

Did I hear right that the two Wild Card picks perform next week? They only get a week to prepare. Of course, how much preparation is need to sing the same one "hit" over and over again?
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #267
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post

Spoiler:
That's what I want to know...

Spoiler:
Bee Double Oh Tee - Why?

I wonder who Howard and Howie are considering for their choices.

Also, from what I have been able to piece together, I am under the impression that, after the semi-finals, there will be a Final 12, then I am guessing a Final 6.

Last edited by That Don Guy : 08-26-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Removed excessive /quote tag
Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #268
nickels
opinionated dope

When Catapult somehow loses to a mediocre country/opera singer I'll be ready to throw my remote at my TV. One thing I am sure about, when left to all of America to make any decision they usually get it wrong.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #269
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
When Catapult somehow loses to a mediocre country/opera singer I'll be ready to throw my remote at my TV. One thing I am sure about, when left to all of America to make any decision they usually get it wrong.
You would be surprised - I figured that America would blow it in Seasons 2 and 3, but (in my opinion) they got it right both times. On the other hand, Season 5 turned the show into the American Idol Consolation Round.

Then again, if Olate Dogs could win (and I wouldn't be surprised if the real reason the planned tour for earlier this year wasn't because of poor ticket sales (but then again, what do you expect with zero national publicity) but because the dogs couldn't tour for some reason and they pretty much promise that the winning act will show up in every city), any act can.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #270
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post

Spoiler:
What was she thinking? There are so many better acts to choose from. The Chinese dancing girls (don't remember their name) is one that comes to mind. No wonder Howard was annoyed.

Last edited by jamesbobo : 08-26-2013 at 07:22 PM.
jamesbobo is offline   Reply With Quote