Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #211
Sromkie
TiVoed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
Charisma, Schmarisma. When all he did was play with a ball cap (ok, he danced a little, too), sorry but I didn't really even see why he made it to RCMH. Through the auditions, I can see that. Beyond that, nope - just more of the same thing. Glad he's gone.
What he's doing is a lot more than just playing with a ball cap. That statement would be like saying jugglers are just playing with balls or clubs. What he does takes a lot of skill and precision. That being said, I agree that he shouldn't have gone through. I've seen people WAY better at this (at least in a natural environment—maybe without the pressure of the stage he would be more proficient). I laughed out loud when they showed the interview with his sister where she said something like No one else out there does what my brother does. Now that's a big load of bull. He probably runs with a whole crew that does those tricks. It's happening all over the city.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #212
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
I dont think so... he's the one who's wife tricked him in to coming.

He's put out 4 albums.. Im surprised they let him on the show.
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/marty...51/discography
OK, 3 of them have a 'known' label behind them.. I was wondering if they were the analog of vanity books.

Plus, is there a rule that they have to be amateurs? I don't think so. (Though I admit I think it's "The Voice" that I'm thinking of that had one person that was previously on Idol.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sromkie View Post
What he's doing is a lot more than just playing with a ball cap. That statement would be like saying jugglers are just playing with balls or clubs. What he does takes a lot of skill and precision.
I agree with you, but ironically, I know people who juggle at least as well as any of the jugglers who have shown up on the show, and they just do it for fun. (Though one person I know a bit was somehow involved with one of the AGT juggling acts a few years ago, but I think he was actually offstage or something weird like that.)

I only do 3 ball and 6 club (total) passing, so I'm nowhere near what they show on this show, but as I said, I used to routinely see FAR better juggling than on this show, just at a weekend juggling club.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #213
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
... is there a rule that they have to be amateurs? I don't think so.
John Wing is one of the finalist comedians, and he has been a professional stand-up for 33 years, appearing on Leno's "Tonight Show" 6 times.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #214
nickels
opinionated dope

I somehow missed an episode and some results. Is that shadow group still in the mix? They made a "people wall" and a helicopter during their first performance... haven't seen them since?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #215
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
I somehow missed an episode and some results. Is that shadow group still in the mix? They made a "people wall" and a helicopter during their first performance... haven't seen them since?
I assume you're talking about Catapult. They were advanced straight to Radio City Music Hall, and one of its members tweeted that they will be in the fifth semi-final (performing on August 20).
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #216
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Nothing from last night's show? I dont know what to think at this point about whos going on. Some really good acts last night.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #217
morac
Cat God

Some really good acts got sent home, but that was mainly because there were a lot of good acts last night. It's a shame how it worked out as many of the acts that went home this week were much better than the ones that won last week.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #218
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Youre right... I was really pulling for Brandon and Savannah.. I thought they were great and their performances have been tremendous. I was also surprised that Deanna DellaCioppa was eliminated as the judges loved her performance. Sadly I feel like the whole American Military Spouses Wives got through because of the whole USA USA thing. They werent that great and havent impressed me with any of their performances. Plus half of them are very pregnant. Probably be a quartet by the time finals rolls around.

I dont have a problem with The Chicago Boyz... they missed a LOT of spots and one guy broke his leg but the judges gave them a pass which is kind of surprising. Ive always thought it was ridiculous when the judges call people on missing spots in high flying, dangerous acts. When you're flying through the air, on a bike, etc, its hard to be 100% perfect every time.

Sad night and its a shame the way AGT stacked the talent. I hope they have a wildcard show so some of the acts that deserved to go through can come back.

Kenichi Ebina was amazing.

Jason Derullo does the hat thing better than Kid the Whiz.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #219
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Youre right... I was really pulling for Brandon and Savannah.. I thought they were great and their performances have been tremendous. I was also surprised that Deanna DellaCioppa was eliminated as the judges loved her performance. Sadly I feel like the whole American Military Spouses Wives got through because of the whole USA USA thing. They werent that great and havent impressed me with any of their performances. Plus half of them are very pregnant. Probably be a quartet by the time finals rolls around.

I dont have a problem with The Chicago Boyz... they missed a LOT of spots and one guy broke his leg but the judges gave them a pass which is kind of surprising. Ive always thought it was ridiculous when the judges call people on missing spots in high flying, dangerous acts. When you're flying through the air, on a bike, etc, its hard to be 100% perfect every time.

Sad night and its a shame the way AGT stacked the talent. I hope they have a wildcard show so some of the acts that deserved to go through can come back.

Kenichi Ebina was amazing.

Jason Derullo does the hat thing better than Kid the Whiz.
I agree with nearly everything you said. I think the Producers are pushing the Military Wives by giving them the prime spot. If they weren't military wives, I doubt they would even made it to RCMH.

I would have loved to seen the Mitsi school of dancing move forward. They were so good. But they were in a stack semi-final. I am not sure how the producers determine the acts on each show, but it is a shame that, many times, some of the better acts go home only because they were on the wrong show.
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #220
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Sadly I feel like the whole American Military Spouses Wives got through because of the whole USA USA thing. They werent that great and havent impressed me with any of their performances.
100% this.

And I'm shocked the Chicago Boys got through. The Mitsi dancers were orders of magnitude better.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #221
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
And I'm shocked the Chicago Boys got through. The Mitsi dancers were orders of magnitude better.
Perhaps, but I thought Chicago Boys could put on more of a "show" than Mitzi Dancers, and don't both Howard and Howie base their choices in part on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBruin View Post
I agree with nearly everything you said. I think the Producers are pushing the Military Wives by giving them the prime spot. If they weren't military wives, I doubt they would even made it to RCMH.
Probably not, but remember, this is just as much a popularity contest as it is a talent competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBruin
I would have loved to seen the Mitsi school of dancing move forward. They were so good. But they were in a stack semi-final. I am not sure how the producers determine the acts on each show, but it is a shame that, many times, some of the better acts go home only because they were on the wrong show.
That's why there's a wild card round (and although they haven't said there will be one this year, note that they never announced it in advance in past seasons either, and Nick has always used terms like "leaving the show" and "going home" in the quarter-final rounds, only for acts to return for wild card week).

I hope they consider allowing some of the eliminated acts on the tour. I think they did this when the post-series show was limited to Vegas, but the last time there was a tour, I'm pretty sure it was limited to the ten Season 5 finalists.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #222
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Nothing from last night's show? I dont know what to think at this point about whos going on. Some really good acts last night.
Really not liking how they are grouping folks. This week had some of the best talent and obviously on 4 could move on. Some would have advance if they were in the 2nd group.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #223
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Some really good acts got sent home, but that was mainly because there were a lot of good acts last night. It's a shame how it worked out as many of the acts that went home this week were much better than the ones that won last week.
or this

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #224
newsposter
Poster of News

i only care about the magic and caught the 'revealing' trick with the canes in the box, i'm assumign there are so many so that there's a 2nd person in that box and thats how they appear later on?

putting allllllllll those canes in was mindnumbingly boring

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #225
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
i only care about the magic and caught the 'revealing' trick with the canes in the box, i'm assumign there are so many so that there's a 2nd person in that box and thats how they appear later on?

putting allllllllll those canes in was mindnumbingly boring
That's probably one of the reasons why that trick (one of the variations of a trick called "Backstage with the Magician") isn't done very much. One of the main problems is getting the canes to go through the holes in the front of the box.

I can't say for sure how it was done, but if you ask me...
Spoiler:
The cane box had a lookalike magician inside of it from the start; he was the one who went into the other box, and if you watch him change boxes, you will notice that he never shows his face to the people watching the trick. On the other hand, I do know where Nick was the entire time, but "that would be telling."

Old 08-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #226
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
100% this.

From a precision standpoint, I 100% agree.. Chicago Boyz missed a LOT of spots. Piers would have torn them a new one.

BUT.. if I had to fork out money to go see something, Id much rather see CB than Mitsi Dancers.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #227
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
BUT.. if I had to fork out money to go see something, Id much rather see CB than Mitsi Dancers.
If I want to see something like CB, the only money I have to fork out is $2.50 to go down into the subway.

The same can't be said for Mitsi Dancers.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #228
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
If I want to see something like CB, the only money I have to fork out is $2.50 to go down into the subway.

The same can't be said for Mitsi Dancers.
I think it is funny, but I am not sure if CB is even the best acrobatic group in Chicago. The Jesse White Tumblers could probably give them a run for their money.
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #229
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I thought so too.

But at least the judges finally didn't wimp out with a tie vote.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #230
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I thought Howard was a bit hard on Jim Meskimen, but that reminded me to look him up on IMdB. The first time I saw him on the show I thought I had seen him in lots of stuff as an actor. Sure enough he has a career going back 25 years and has been in a ton of shows. So I don't know where the line is as far as professionals go.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #231
busyba
The Funcooker

Wow, with that resume, I would have thought he would have been better.

Don't get me wrong; I thought he was good... just not 25 years of experience good.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #232
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

I'm curious about one thing: how many of you actually vote for an act. I'll confess that while I watch the show, I've never voted for anyone. Also, how do you vote? Phone or computer?
Old 08-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #233
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
I'm curious about one thing: how many of you actually vote for an act. I'll confess that while I watch the show, I've never voted for anyone. Also, how do you vote? Phone or computer?
Ive voted some via computer... I dont vote every week but I do sometimes.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #234
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
Sometimes I vote by computer, but I usually don't care enough to do so.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #235
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'll vote once in a while by phone, but usually I don't watch early enough to vote. Even when I do, I rarely care enough to vote, though.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #236
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
But at least the judges finally didn't wimp out with a tie vote.
There wasn't time - they were already rolling the closing credits when the third vote was being cast. I don't think there would have been time to go through a fourth vote and the whole "America has voted" spiel.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #237
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
...putting allllllllll those canes in was mindnumbingly boring
I agree! I liked the trick but the "setup" was just waaaaay too long.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #238
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:
Sadly I feel like the whole American Military Spouses Wives got through because of the whole USA USA thing. They werent that great and havent impressed me with any of their performances. Plus half of them are very pregnant. Probably be a quartet by the time finals rolls around.
They have a slight advantage. There are 36 members, if I remember correctly. You can bet that all of their family and friends are voting for them. That's hundreds of people. A lot more than a single singer would automatically get.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #239
nickels
opinionated dope

Sorry if I said this already, but singing in Opera style must be the easiest skill on the planet. Is every other act an Opera singer? Take away the "I'm gay and everyone hates me" angle and most of them don't get past their first audition.

Misti dancers were 100% precise and fantastic. They are already a Vegas quality act and should have been a top 5 finishing act.

The singing wife's of enlisted soldiers are getting by on story alone. USA USA USA! Too bad they aren't judged on talent alone.

The teen boy and girl rock group should also have been put through. They have skill, a great look, and style. I expect them to return as wildcards.

It is sad that two weeks ago a ton of crap acts went up against each other and four of them had to go through, where this past week even the bad acts were better than the previous week's good ones. They really messed up the grouping.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #240
DouglasPHill

We gave up. Too much "background story" and not enough acts. Heidi always looks hot and you can see her perk up every time a hot guy takes off his shirt; (my kind of girl)
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote