TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #61
GoHalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
Only caught part of an episode on my DVR, not sure what night it was from. It was the you magician. Was he 16? He made the dollar bill transport into the chip bag.

How'd he do that?
We were discussing that trick in posts #40-#47 above.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #62
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
I don't think they move to Las Vegas any more, but they headline "a show" in Vegas. and do a national tour with the rest of the Top Ten acts.

Usually the winner has been a sionger, but "Big groups" have made the finale (e.g., Team Iluminate in 2011, Fighting Gravity in 2010).
There was only one "national tour". Now, there is an AGT show in Vegas that starts in October and runs for a month or two. I think they get Jerry Springer to host it.

Speaking of Vegas, here's something to think about concerning the success of AGT performers: Jabbawockeez (which was eliminated in Vegas in Season 2) just opened at the Luxor (on the Las Vegas Strip), with a run listed through at least the end of the year, while 2010 winner Michael Grimm has a one-night stand at the Aliante Hotel, located out in the Vegas boondocks.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #63
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
There was only one "national tour". Now, there is an AGT show in Vegas that starts in October and runs for a month or two. I think they get Jerry Springer to host it.
I was basing my info from the Wikipedia article which says, "Since season five, the show has also made the winner the headline act of a national tour with runners up following the final show, stopping in 25 cities."

Looks like there was to have been a tour in early 2013, but it was cancelled.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #64
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Looks like there was to have been a tour in early 2013, but it was cancelled.
The press release for this tour mentions the top acts from 2011 as well as 2012, so I am assuming there was no actual tour following the 2011 season (season six).

I wonder what the "unforeseen circumstance" was that caused the entire tour to shut down before it even started. It might have something to do with 2011 winner Landau Eugene Murphy Jr., as I can't find any reference to the tour on his website (not even in the news archives), which is strange as he is listed as being on the tour.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #65
Cainebj

Quote:
I wonder what the "unforeseen circumstance" was.
Usually that is code for bad ticket sales.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #66
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Did I miss something or was there no ridiculously bad acts (or even a single "X") in the latest episode?
That episode was only an hour long (because of the two-hour The Voice finale). Usually, with shorter audition episodes of shows, "bad acts" are the first to go. (American Idol and The X Factor seem to be exceptions as people expect to see bad acts - especially the latter now, as it's not so much the bad acts themselves as watching Simon react to them.)

I did notice in the credits that a single montage may include acts from different cities.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #67
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Usually that is code for bad ticket sales.
We went to see the tour the year Michael Grimm won (I guess the only year there has been a tour) and it was a great show for the most part. The guy that did the bicycle stuff was banged up and couldnt do much but other than that, it was a lot of fun.

I do think you're probably right.. they ending up moving the stage WAY up from where the original seating plan had it being set up. It was crowded but they were only using about 1/4 of the arena.

Its too bad. I enjoyed it and would go again if they came around here. It wasnt super expensive and we had a really good time. Each act came on twice.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #68
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Holy cow - what was with the 6-year old horror rock girl? She almost had a serial-killer in the making vibe to her - did she even smile once??? Yet despite that, I almost want to see her again!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #69
Howie
Out of Pocket

There was a woman I worked with for 15 years that was on the show last week with her husband. They were the ones in the chicken suits that Stern hated. They got X'ed out before they even got started good.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #70
fmowry

They need to get rid of the kids that do things OK that adults do better. Especially hiphop kid dancers. They are never better than the best adult dancers.

Can't believe the gum sculptor didn't advance!
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #71
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
Can't believe the gum sculptor didn't advance!
Not trying to be argumentative, but was that a serious comment? I didn't see the winking smiley.

Aside from the fact that I couldn't really see what he had created, even with any close up camera work (I did see something that kind of resembled a dolphin), this has got to be one of the most boring things to see in a live performance in a venue of any size.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #72
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
Not trying to be argumentative, but was that a serious comment? I didn't see the winking smiley.

Aside from the fact that I couldn't really see what he had created, even with any close up camera work (I did see something that kind of resembled a dolphin), this has got to be one of the most boring things to see in a live performance in a venue of any size.
C'mon. Did that really need a smiley? Unless he's sculpting a lifesize Michelangelo's David, do we really want to see a guy make anything with chewed gum?
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #73
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Whew! I thought I was losing it!

Or you were!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #74
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I hear ya! I also find it uncomfortable to watch 10 year olds doing dances like the samba and other "sexy" latin dances. I just don't like it.
Nowhere near as bad as Toddlers and Tiaras.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #75
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
Nowhere near as bad as Toddlers and Tiaras.
sabado gigante is like this also sometimes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #76
nickels
opinionated dope

So far most of the acts aren't impressing me compared to last year. The coolest thing to date is the people doing the gymnastic shadow act. Last year we had the people that made artwork to music (CMYKs), the earth harp guy, and that Lightwire Theater group that did their show with lights.

I don't expect those creative, mind-blowing acts to win against dancing dogs, but I at least like to see innovation and creativity. This year seems like a bunch of run-of-the-mill acts so far.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #77
markymark_ctown

Any comments on the Vegas show? Haven't watched the full episode, but surprised to see some of that acts sent home so far...
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #78
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
Any comments on the Vegas show? Haven't watched the full episode, but surprised to see some of that acts sent home so far...
Pretty much par for the course with me ... agreed with most of the decisions, but there are some acts they put through that just has me scratching my head.

I have come to the realization that I don't like Howie on the judging panel any more. I am agreeing with the comments that Howard, Heidi and Mel are saying, but not with Howie as much.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #79
bryhamm
randomize

A prime example is the little "screaming" girl singer. I didn't think she should have even made it past the auditions, let alone be pushed through to RCMH

Old 07-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #80
markymark_ctown

bee-double-oh-tee-why
Old 07-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #81
busyba
The Funcooker

Is it just me, or has this season been somewhat of a snoozefest as compared to last season? (I can't speak to seasons before last year since that was the first one I watched).

Also, I'm surprised that the unicycle/bowl-juggler girl got passed through. The way I saw it, even if she hadn't messed up, it was the exact same act as her first audition. That's the kind of thing that they boot people for, isn't it?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #82
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Also, I'm surprised that the unicycle/bowl-juggler girl got passed through. The way I saw it, even if she hadn't messed up, it was the exact same act as her first audition. That's the kind of thing that they boot people for, isn't it?
Well, in the first season, they had Quickchange (the quick change artist couple), that did the same act every week, albeit with slightly different costumes, and Piers called them to the carpet for that. However, in later seasons, I can think of a couple of acts that tried doing "something different" in one round, probably because they were afraid of being labeled as one-trick ponies, only to be eliminated by the viewers (who weren't interested in their "B act").

The fact that there are 60 acts going to Radio City Music Hall makes me think they're going to do something I don't think they have done in a while - break the acts up into 4 groups of 15, only to tell five of the acts in each group on live television that they're eliminated without being able to perform again (unless they're invited to the Wild Card round). It's bad enough when the judges send someone to Vegas, only to tell them to get on the next plane home without giving them the chance to perform again.

Then again, I also haven't heard anything about a "YouTube's Got Talent" round this year; maybe there will be 5 weeks of 12 finalists rather than 4 weeks plus the YouTube round.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #83
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
I believe she kicked up one additional bowl.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #84
pmyers

Quote:
bee-double-oh-tee-why
I hate you!.....LOL I had just gotten that out of my head from last night!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #85
markymark_ctown

Oh well, what ya gonna do?
Old 07-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #86
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Oh well, what ya gonna do?
the rain dance

Old 07-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #87
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

I cant believe they sent home the black guy that sang country. I thought he was awesome.

Same with the opera guy.. he was better than the gay kid.. they kept the gay kid because of "his story."

I too was surprised by the screaming little girl. She was awful and I dont understand why they kept her.

Im glad they kept the red head around that got hosed because of the sound guy's screwup.. she deserved it and it would have been crappy to send her home after that.

Some of the others I just dont know. I thought the white kid that did the crazy dancing was good too and they sent him home and kept Kid the Whiz who screwed up in his second audition...

I dont mind Howie but I really dont like Mel B. I dont feel like she has any business judging talent when she doesnt have any.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #88
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

I'm surprised they didn't let one of the girl singers through who I thought was good. Much better than the screaming little girl.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #89
nlsinger
w00tever

Quote:
It's bad enough when the judges send someone to Vegas, only to tell them to get on the next plane home without giving them the chance to perform again.
That's for damn sure. They put our boys on a 5am plane, they went from airport to hotel waiting room for 12 hours, went to bed, got up the next day, waited I don't know how long, just for Howie to tell them they weren't continuing.
And the thing is, they had to know, they only had a few of the boys come to Vegas.

Mr.Slowplay was the MVP for sure... not his fault that nlsinger's charm and cunning had him fooled. :P --MickeS
nlsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #90
Sromkie
TiVoed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
I thought the white kid that did the crazy dancing was good too and they sent him home and kept Kid the Whiz who screwed up in his second audition...
Yeah, I disagreed with that decision too. The kid that did the animation-style hip hop was really good. Kid the Whiz screwed up more than once in his second audition. I'm amazed none of the judges have never seen this before. The kid's not even that great at it compared to others I have seen on the subway. I guess it's a given, though, that the judges don't ride the NY Subway, so that's why they haven't seen it before, but there are several groups of guys who do that style dancing every day on the subway who are better than Kid the Whiz.

Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote