Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #271
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Can you summarize what Howard did?

I basically never listened to Howard Stern.. (Though I did listen to Alex Bennett long ago, who I think claims Stern basically stole his act... and I listen to Adam Carolla nowadays, who is crude & rude in ways that I used to think of Stern... but maybe even Stern sometimes had points mixed in with his crudeness...) Though somehow I really enjoyed the movie "Private Parts", even though it was at the same time I didn't like his radio show.. yeah, weird.
Well, nobody knew of Howie's "issues" with germs, etc. He also had some mental health issues around ADD and ADHD...doesn't everyone now?!!

Anyway, it was a BIG stigma then and Howie told NO ONE! He would shake hands but had to wash them 10 times before he felt OK. Anyway, he was on Stern and some guy did some weird stuff that I will not go into here. He then opened the door to the studio to leave and, of course, never washed his hands. Later Howard was done with Howie's interview and Howie wanted to leave. He asked if someone could open the door and you know nobody would and kept giving him a hard time. Finally, Howie told Howard that he was not kidding, that he could not touch the door and explained why...kind of like coming out of the closet! Well, Howie thought the show was over, but Stern kept the mike open and everyone heard about Howie's issues! He did leave the show and felt that his gig was up!
Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #272
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post

Well, nobody knew of Howie's "issues" with germs, etc. He also had some mental health issues around ADD and ADHD...doesn't everyone now?!!
I'll point out Howie doesn't have "issues", he has OCD, which is a somewhat common mental health disorder, that manifests itself in a variety of ways, mysophobia being one of them. I'm kind of surprised Howie hasn't been treated for it though as there are a number of treatments these days for OCD. From personal experience, I can tell you that exposure and response prevention works remarkably well, especially when paired with medication.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #273
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post

Anyway, it was a BIG stigma then and Howie told NO ONE! He would shake hands but had to wash them 10 times before he felt OK. Anyway, he was on Stern and some guy did some weird stuff that I will not go into here. He then opened the door to the studio to leave and, of course, never washed his hands. Later Howard was done with Howie's interview and Howie wanted to leave. He asked if someone could open the door and you know nobody would and kept giving him a hard time. Finally, Howie told Howard that he was not kidding, that he could not touch the door and explained why...kind of like coming out of the closet! Well, Howie thought the show was over, but Stern kept the mike open and everyone heard about Howie's issues! He did leave the show and felt that his gig was up!
That's funny!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #274
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I'll point out Howie doesn't have "issues", he has OCD, which is a somewhat common mental health disorder, that manifests itself in a variety of ways, mysophobia being one of them. I'm kind of surprised Howie hasn't been treated for it though as there are a number of treatments these days for OCD. From personal experience, I can tell you that exposure and response prevention works remarkably well, especially when paired with medication.
Well, you would need to read his book. He is trying everything.

All I can say is that Mental Health issues are the gift that keeps on taking. From my experiance with at least 2 people with Issues, I can say that you can not win if you disagree with them.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #275
MPSAN

Quote:
That's funny!
Well, if you do read his book you will see that there was nothing funny about it.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #276
markymark_ctown

It's not funny. It's not fun...

Last edited by markymark_ctown : 08-28-2013 at 09:23 AM.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #277
mattack

Well, I've always thought it would be entertaining for someone to be at a charity function with Howie and offer to give $X to the charity *IF* Howie would shake hands with them, and NOT wash his hands for Y hours... under constant supervision.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #278
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Well, I've always thought it would be entertaining for someone to be at a charity function with Howie and offer to give $X to the charity *IF* Howie would shake hands with them, and NOT wash his hands for Y hours... under constant supervision.
I suppose you'd also find it entertaining if someone paid to see someone whose legs don't work drag themselves around on the floor for Y hours?

I'm not sure why some people accept physical health issues, but mock mental health issues as in pretty much all cases, there's an actual physical cause (i.e. chemical imbalance or brain defect) behind it. I'd suggest reading up on the subject. This is a good starter book. The treatment section is outdated as there are better options these days, but the patient stories are interesting and informative. The author, who works at NIMH, pretty much singlehandedly spearheaded the diagnosis and treatment of OCD back in the early 80's.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:05 AM   #279
DLL66

Howard Stern has an ok radio show. On AGT, I tire of his "I am always right" attitude.
DLL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #280
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Collins Key (magician), he needs to step up his game. Last night was nothing but a plant in the audience, and the bags the judges were given all had the same relative ball in them. It seemed obvious he had his helpers switch the bags after the judges checked the balls the first time.

Taylor Williamson (comedian), his fake laugh grates on my nerves.

B-double O-T-Y. Ugh.

Innovative Force (girl acrobatics), there is just so much going on it is hard to see it all.

I like Cami Bradley (singer). I think she brings her A-game each week.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #281
newsposter
Poster of News

i just watched the magic...lame...and the woman comedian/impressionist. for like 30 seconds.

neither have a chance based on what i saw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #282
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Last night was a mess. Some of the best acts faltered:

Booty Guys - Shouldn't be here. Terrible act. Please go away!

Red Panda - Talk about pressure! Getting notice earlier in the day to fly out (looks like from LA maybe?) Did a good job, but missed a trick. Also look a little out of sync.

Angela Hoover - Was OK. Started very slowly, but I think she got better with her last impressions.

Duo Resonance - This is still one of my favorite acts in the show. I hope they go through.

Collin Keys - One of his best attributes was his presentation. His "tricks" were good, but nothing other illusionists haven't done before. Last night, he lost control of the act. (And, frankly, his trick wasn't impressive.)

Innovative Force - There whole act was just to chaotic. There was no flow to it. They also seem just a little out of step. I still like them, but not sure if they are going through.

Dave Fenley - Not impressed at all. Didn't like the act.

Taylor Williamson - If you have to continuously laugh at yourself, you probably aren't that funny (and he wasn't funny.)

Jonathan Allen - Fast forwarded through the act. Don't like singers, especially Opera. Sorry

Catapult Entertainment - I have to agree with the Judges that the story was a little confusion this time. I still like this act and I think they will go through. (See my rant below)

Cami Bradley - Good singer.

Forte - Fell asleep, so I never saw them.

As I said, the performances tonight were not impressive.

[RANT] I think it is unfair to acts like Catapult and Duo are force to come up with brand new routines in less than a week. For a singer to come back, it is just pulling a song out of their pocket and practice. Performance groups have to chorography a whole new routine, train every person in the group, build the props all in less than a week. That is why this acts are always at a disadvantage and why they often falter in the semis and finals.[/RANT]
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #283
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBruin View Post
Red Panda - Talk about pressure! Getting notice earlier in the day to fly out (looks like from LA maybe?) Did a good job, but missed a trick. Also look a little out of sync.
Would it have been that hard to move one of the singers from the other semi-final group up to this week, and give Red Panda one week of warning, like everybody else got?

True, it wouldn't have been particularly fair to have an act that "earned" its way into the semi-finals have to perform one week early either, but that's why I suggested a singer - you don't need that much time to get an act ready.

How the semi-finals are "seeded" (i.e. who's in which one) could have a lasting effect, considering that the last time there was a tour, they advertised that the finalists - and nobody else - would be on it.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #284
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
Innovative Force (girl acrobatics), there is just so much going on it is hard to see it all.
A lot of that was the really poor TV direction. Waaaay too many closeups.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #285
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

I have been a fan of Collins Key, I just love magicians (was one myself), but this last performance was meh for me. There was too much going on and it seemed like he was bouncing around like he forgot to mention something, so he is jumping around discussing someone can win a date and then it was like oh yeah there are cards under your chair etc.

I feel the girl was a plant (maybe they didn't meet before but I will explain that in a second) because for starters there was no "randomness" to it and two what if a dude was sitting in the seat (unless they passed out the cards before hand, which if so his stagehand took note who got the card).

The other thing is the misdirection here was 100% transparent. Take a look at the ping pong balls, they are all different right... ok now I will tell you how I am going to get a date and then a minute late come back to having the judges pull out the ball. This part of the act could have been better performed and had the random "draw" happen right after the verification and it would be a simple gimmick that the assistants could pull off.

With all that said though I liked his previous acts and I think he has a lot of potential so hopefully he can make it through.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #286
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
A lot of that was the really poor TV direction. Waaaay too many closeups.
Speaking of which, what the heck was with the closeups during the Catapult Entertainment? Definitely needs to be kept in a wide view to appreciate.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #287
MarkofT

Cami Bradley is a good singer, but that was a horribly arrangement of the song. And that dip Howard made the comment that he likes songs that get "stripped down". That song is originally just Elvis and a guitar. UB40 added a couple instruments, but considering they are a 10 piece band, it was still "stripped down". Howard is just trying to sound intelligent.

Collins Key's trick wasn't earthshattering, but I don't think they bothered with a plant. They just watched the crowd waiting in line for entrance, picked a mark and made sure she got the winning envelope.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #288
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
... Collins Key's trick wasn't earthshattering, but I don't think they bothered with a plant. They just watched the crowd waiting in line for entrance, picked a mark and made sure she got the winning envelope.
I agree that his assistants handed the ladies an envelope as they entered, and they selected the "mark" who would become the unwitting "plant".

He started as fresh, but has quickly evolved into a smarmy & cheesy performer. The trick did not come off as "magical" at all (to me, anyway).

getreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #289
Jayjoans

Looks to me like she was in on it from the beginning. Their outfits even matched. I agree that maybe they had never met before, so they could say that honestly, but her reactions didn't seem genuine to me at all. Like a bad actress trying to act natural while trying to figure out what natural is.

Not only did that "trick" suck, it was very poorly presented and executed. Not to mention I can't stand his open mouth guffaw. He can't play both sides of the fence, the loveable aw shucks kid with tears in his eyes that can't believe he's finally hit the big time, and the male model featuring "blue steel" poses that promises that he'll singlehandedly bring sexy back to magic for all the world to enjoy.

Magicians are pissed too:
http://www.magicleaks.com/news/colli...ot-talent.html
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #290
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
I didn't realize that 6 acts went through last night, not just four. With that I am upset that Duo Resonance did not make it through. Compared to most of the other acts last night, I can't see how they didn't make a it through.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #291
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

I wasnt happy to see Dave Finley not make it either. I thought he was one of the best singers on the show this season. Everyone who made it through deserved it tho, I guess. At least we've seen the last of B-O-O-T-Y.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #292
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
I wasnt happy to see Dave Finley not make it either. I thought he was one of the best singers on the show this season. Everyone who made it through deserved it tho, I guess. At least we've seen the last of B-O-O-T-Y.
At least in competition - do you honestly believe they won't be making an appearance in the finale?

Speaking of which, remember that the "final 12" have to do two performances in order to win - one on 9/10, and if they make the cut, another on 9/17. That means some of next week's semi-finalists may have to perform three weeks in a row.

Also, at the beginning of the results show, after they showed the fall, did anyone else get the impression that the decision to bring back Red Panda was made by the producers and "Howie's wild card pick" was just an excuse of some sort?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #293
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Anything the judges say or do is not above suspicion as being motivated by the producers.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #294
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Also, at the beginning of the results show, after they showed the fall, did anyone else get the impression that the decision to bring back Red Panda was made by the producers and "Howie's wild card pick" was just an excuse of some sort?
Yes, the judges were informed that she was coming back. Heidi even asked if she had time to practice a new routine.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #295
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
Yes, the judges were informed that she was coming back. Heidi even asked if she had time to practice a new routine.
It is possible that both Howie and Howard had already decided their judges picks long before they called Red Panda. Just because they didn't announce it doesn't mean that they haven't decided.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #296
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

I think it was a plant for Collins' act because the polka dot reveal was too quick. She immediately dug into her purse for her phone. If that was a regular schmuck, she'd be way too overwhelmed at being on stage to think anywhere near that clearly.
Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #297
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odds Bodkins View Post
I think it was a plant for Collins' act because the polka dot reveal was too quick. She immediately dug into her purse for her phone. If that was a regular schmuck, she'd be way too overwhelmed at being on stage to think anywhere near that clearly.
Meh. I don't think so. Though the item in the purse does "add" to the trick, but I am sure before the filming started she was using her phone and the stage hands knew to use her case.

What was interesting is for AGT filming last year (auditions not live show) they did not allow bags, purses or phones in. The rules though may have changed for the live show as the auditions of course are filmed weeks ahead of time.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #298
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

According to their Facebook page, the injured member of the KriStef Brothers has been cleared to perform, and they will be performing this Tuesday.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #299
Jayjoans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
I feel the girl was a plant (maybe they didn't meet before but I will explain that in a second) because for starters there was no "randomness" to it and two what if a dude was sitting in the seat (unless they passed out the cards before hand, which if so his stagehand took note who got the card).
I think you make a faulty assumption that there was even a card involved with some different marking. We didn't see a card, she just stayed standing as if she had a card with the marking. My guess is with a trick of this scale with so much riding on it, you would eliminate as many points of breakdown as possible. You wouldn't rely on a stage hand noticing her on a phone (hers or a friends she borrowed?), you wouldn't risk her not sitting in the seat with the card under it (she switches with a friend to see better), etc. I think it's true they had never met before, but so what. Even their outfits matched each other.

Plant. Trick. Happens all the time, but it wasn't presented well.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #300
cmgal

Kenichi rules!!! The only act I'd go to Vegas for.