TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
EXTREME MAKEOVER- HOME EDITION are these people crazy?

Something struck me tonight that I've thought of before-

The homes they provide these people with... Who's going to take care of them? Who's going to pay THE ELECTRIC BILL?

The family tonight, they gave them this crazy cathedral ceiling, with light fixtures all over it of various sizes.

In one of the kid's rooms, they put blown glass flowers all over the wall. Who's gonna dust those things?

There are other elements of the new home that's just too over the top.

I can see them giving people something better than they had, and in many cases the house is designed to accomodate a family member with a special need, but to give people something so...well...EXTREME, it just can't be good for them.

Has anyone else ever thought this way?

Old 12-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
I can see them giving people something better than they had, and in many cases the house is designed to accomodate a family member with a special need, but to give people something so...well...EXTREME, it just can't be good for them.

Has anyone else ever thought this way?
All the time, one reason I stopped watching the show long ago. I hated that somewhere along the way they switched from doing very, very nice renovations of the recipient's home, to tearing down the home and building a stupidly unrealistic McMansion in it's place that the owner probably would never be able to maintain on their own and shouldn't be saddled with.

I also hate that when they do a kid's room, it's almost always this overly elaborate, extremely age and gender specific theme room, one the kid is probably going to hate in about a year or two.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Alfer
WOOSAH!

What's also is amusing (as mentioned above) is when the go to a house that is obviously in a very run down part of town and build this over the top oversized mini mansion where the old house once was yet all the neighboring houses look like their houses will fall to the ground during the next wind storm.

I wonder how many deadbeats have tried to break into some of these places seeing that many of the houses they build have plasma TV's etc throughout the house.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I agree. I like the idea behind the show, but they go waaay overboard.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:10 AM   #5
wendiness1
WiiMomma

And I'll bet they're tough to sell as well. Yeah, this is why I stopped watching.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
paracelsus

Yeah, they came in and renovated a local house with a special needs child several years ago. Family couldn't afford the increased property taxes and increased utility bills that came with the reno. I know they had some sort of organized fundraiser for the family to help them pay their bills, but am unsure if the family has been successful keeping the house.
paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendiness1 View Post
And I'll bet they're tough to sell as well. Yeah, this is why I stopped watching.
There was one of these up in Sandpoint. Did you get local coverage?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rhouse21m.html
"A Sandpoint man whose family received a house from the "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" television program is putting it up for sale.
Eric Hebert said maintaining the home is too expensive and time-consuming as he raises his late sister's 11-year-old twins, Keely and Tyler."

Unfortunately, looks like he wasn't able to sell it. A more recent article, below, shows it has been foreclosed.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...903285032.html
"Realty Check: 'Extreme Makeover' Downsizes Its Dream Homes
Producers of Hit TV Show See Bad Loans, Dashed Dreams, Default"

"The house at 10512 Baldy Mountain Rd. in Sandpoint, Idaho, looks like just another vacant foreclosed home. Some appliances, a bathroom mirror and even the hot tub are missing. The dining room of the three-bedroom house has water damage.

But this isn't your run-of-the-mill problem house. Call it an Extreme Foreclosure. The 3,678-square-foot McMansion is a product of the popular "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" reality television show. It isn't the only "Extreme" home to fall on hard times."
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I think there have been multiple instances of the people not affording the taxes/insurance and lost the home. Supposedly EHM was going to help fix this.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
I think there have been multiple instances of the people not affording the taxes/insurance and lost the home. Supposedly EHM was going to help fix this.
They also promised a season or two ago to scale back the sizes of their builds... then promptly built another 8000 sq. ft. monstrosity. That's about the time I bailed.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

The show's producers are like the government -- they love to throw money to build sexy new infrastructure. But maintenance and upkeep doesn't make for a great photo op, so they stint on that spending and eventually something falls down -- and they start planning the photo-friendly (and corruption-magnetic) replacements.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Eh, it's a TV show.
Selling commercial time and using sponsored products are their concerns, not post show practicality.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
wendiness1
WiiMomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post

"A Sandpoint man whose family received a house from the "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" television program is putting it up for sale.
Eric Hebert said maintaining the home is too expensive and time-consuming as he raises his late sister's 11-year-old twins, Keely and Tyler."

Unfortunately, looks like he wasn't able to sell it. A more recent article, below, shows it has been foreclosed.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...903285032.html
"Realty Check: 'Extreme Makeover' Downsizes Its Dream Homes
Producers of Hit TV Show See Bad Loans, Dashed Dreams, Default"

"The house at 10512 Baldy Mountain Rd. in Sandpoint, Idaho, looks like just another vacant foreclosed home. Some appliances, a bathroom mirror and even the hot tub are missing. The dining room of the three-bedroom house has water damage.

But this isn't your run-of-the-mill problem house. Call it an Extreme Foreclosure. The 3,678-square-foot McMansion is a product of the popular "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" reality television show. It isn't the only "Extreme" home to fall on hard times."
Yes, I heard it was too much for them but I didn't hear about the foreclosure.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post

Unfortunately, looks like he wasn't able to sell it. A more recent article, below, shows it has been foreclosed...

That's very interesting.

They "give" the people a house that can later be foreclosed on?

Sounds like there was a mortage attached to this "gift" house.

That's pretty stinky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Eh, it's a TV show.
Selling commercial time and using sponsored products are their concerns, not post show practicality.
But it's also the lives and HOMES of real people.

They at least had a home before, and thanks to this "kindness" on the part of the show and network, they end up losing their home?

Old 12-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #14
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
But it's also the lives and HOMES of real people.

They at least had a home before, and thanks to this "kindness" on the part of the show and network, they end up losing their home?
Hey, it's not me playing fast and loose with their lives.
Tell it to the showrunners.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
SullyND
L:27-31

Quote:

Isn't it the pre-existing mortgage that gets foreclosed on?
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #16
JimSpence
Just hangin'

Many times it's stated that the current mortgage is paid off, but that still leaves the taxes and utilities to pay for, not to mention the upkeep (as mentioned earlier). And, who's the wage earner?

At least on the latest episode they also fixed up the neighborhood.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #17
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
That's very interesting.

Not exactly. I lost my sympathy for the homeowner in the last sentence of the article. He was given a house then treated it like a cash cow. He voluntarily took out a mortgage in order to get cash out of his new house. Then he couldn't make the payments, hence the foreclosure. Maybe he had extenuating circumstances, who knows, but being given a gift home then using it to get cash isn't a great idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #18
RandomTask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Not exactly. I lost my sympathy for the homeowner in the last sentence of the article. He was given a house then treated it like a cash cow. He voluntarily took out a mortgage in order to get cash out of his new house. Then he couldn't make the payments, hence the foreclosure. Maybe he had extenuating circumstances, who knows, but being given a gift home then using it to get cash isn't a great idea.
In this case, I agree but the real truth is that most of the people end up taking mortgages to pay the gift taxes and operating costs. They're the real victims in this fake feel good tv show.
RandomTask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #19
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
In this case, I agree but the real truth is that most of the people end up taking mortgages to pay the gift taxes and operating costs. They're the real victims in this fake feel good tv show.

Thats one of the dirty little secrets on This Old House. A lot of stuff is donated or given at a discount for the show. The owners get stuck with a big 1099.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #20
RandomTask

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Thats one of the dirty little secrets on This Old House. A lot of stuff is donated or given at a discount for the show. The owners get stuck with a big 1099.
There is s huge difference. They take an ungodly expensive house and make it obscenely expensive. I liked ton better when they took modest houses and fixed them up. TOH today has no relation to how it started. Even the length is messed up. Since they edit them down to 23 for commercial tv, the now make the episodes 23 minutes and put 7 minutes of sponsor ads. Plus have the segment are about how some subcontractor did something that they donated to the house which is really another add. Unless Tommy, Rich or Norm are on screen, I assume Kevin is just doing another ad.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #21
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

So many problems with the show.

I can't remember the details, but they do some very clever financing. I mean they have to, right? The people they're giving these homes to would never qualify for a loan of this magnitude, so there's all kinds of creative financing that comes back to bite the homeowner.

And while many of the recipients are good people, some are in bad shape because they made some bad choices and/or don't understand financial matters well. And most of the recipients clearly showed they don't know or can't take care of a house. So let's give them more house to take care of.

This show ends up being a lot lottery winners. It just doesn't end well.

Sad really.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #22
RandomTask

I think the clever financing stuff was the old way they did it. Back when they renovated the houses, they officially "rented" them and took advantage of a tax loophole that said any renovations to a rental conveyed to the owner. The IRS looked askance at that idea and about that time they gave up renovating and started the tear down approach. I haven't read much since then except for stories about owners with money issues.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
zalusky

If I understand correctly ABC does not pay for the houses just production. Don't they get some builder to donate for publicity and tax purposes.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #24
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I would never want to walk into a home that someone "made over" for me. I want to be on site with them making decisions if I am going to be living there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #25
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I would never want to walk into a home that someone "made over" for me. I want to be on site with them making decisions if I am going to be living there.
On the other hand if your destitute and somebody wants to give you a home you might think differently.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #26
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

If they built regular, normal, modest homes, the show would not be nearly as entertaining. The "extreme" part of the show is an important factor. Remember, it's first and foremost a TV show.

jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #27
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
On the other hand if your destitute and somebody wants to give you a home you might think differently.
Maybe, but you know, if it means that 6 months later I am trying to unload a white elephant that I can't afford, then what is the point?

It's too bad they can't have some compromise in these makeovers. I am living in a 750 sq foot rowhome and my brother is in a 4500 sq foot mcmansion. I would like something bigger, newer, better built then what I have, but I don't want something that big. I couldn't handle it and I know that. If it was given to me, well, how do I handle it if I couldn't handle the smaller place.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #28
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky
If I understand correctly ABC does not pay for the houses just production. Don't they get some builder to donate for publicity and tax purposes.
That's what they did here. House down the road from my office.

I also know that it has a leaky roof, it's currently holding up a few blue tarps.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #29
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Maybe, but you know, if it means that 6 months later I am trying to unload a white elephant that I can't afford, then what is the point?

It's too bad they can't have some compromise in these makeovers. I am living in a 750 sq foot rowhome and my brother is in a 4500 sq foot mcmansion. I would like something bigger, newer, better built then what I have, but I don't want something that big. I couldn't handle it and I know that. If it was given to me, well, how do I handle it if I couldn't handle the smaller place.
Unfortunately if they are in financial straits to begin with, then they probably aren't able to do math 6 months down the road.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #30
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Unfortunately if they are in financial straits to begin with, then they probably aren't able to do math 6 months down the road.
Yeah, that's the part that really sucks about this.