Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #181
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honora View Post
If you are in third place with way less money than the other two, who are going to be betting against each other, I think it's better to bet nothing in the event that everybody (or at least those other two) don't get it right and you might - I said might - wind up having the most money left in the end.

If everybody gets it, you wouldn't win anyway. So, yes it's a gamble but at least you have a chance.
I get that scenario and agree.

But it seems like some folks here are saying that 3rd place should ALWAYS bet nothing, even if they are close to the other 2.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #182
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
AGREED! Especially if the category is something horrible like "Middle Eastern Geography" or "British Monarchs" or something that is going to be super difficult...IMHO!
Problem is that so often what appears to be a tough category has an easy question and what seems easy has a hard question.

Of course if it was me I'd be betting $0 as my FJ batting average is pretty low.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #183
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Someone else just got nailed for spelling.

The returning champion who was in the lead spelled Kazakhstan as "Kazkhistan" and Alex (well,the judges) ruled that because it changed the pronunciation too much, it was wrong.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #184
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post

The returning champion who was in the lead spelled Kazakhstan as "Kazkhistan" and Alex (well,the judges) ruled that because it changed the pronunciation too much, it was wrong.
Just coming here to post this. The second I saw his answer... er, question, I knew they would ding him. Just too far off the correct pronunciation to fly.

Did anyone else see your first sentence as "Someone else just got nailed for speeding"?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #185
waynomo
My One Time

And I'm guessing he would have pronounced it correctly. I wish I hadn't seen it spelled correctly so that I could have tested myself to see if I would have gotten close enough.

The other crazy thing is that there are multiple ways to spell many of these countries. (Right? Correct me if I'm wrong about that.) The English spellings are often approximations and they can often vary a bit.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #186
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
The second I saw his answer... er, question, I knew they would ding him.
Same here. But in my case I thought, "they're going to zing him BECAUSE of the recent dustup with the kid." Circling the wagons. Prior to that incident, I think this spelling would have been accepted. I've seen worse accepted, far worse.

In the other direction, I've seen phonetically equivalent spelling rejected. Starting a name with C instead of K is one I think I remember; the principle seemed to be how drastic the misspelling was, rather than pronunciation. But after the kid thing, they're focusing on pronunciation.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #187
Worf

Quote:

Well, there's not country that sounds like Kaz-khis-tan (Khaki-tan?), while the real country Ka-zakh-stan. There's definitely no "is" sound in the country like say, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc.

Then again, I suppose Khaki-Tan is a great way to remember the color .
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #188
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Would "Kazikstan" be a correct answer?
Old 10-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #189
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Well, there's not country that sounds like Kaz-khis-tan (Khaki-tan?), while the real country Ka-zakh-stan. There's definitely no "is" sound in the country like say, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc.
That's my thinking. It's not the misspelling or the dustup with the kid (which I'm sure Jeopardy has long forgotten). It changed the way Kazakhstan is pronounced, and that's all it took.

Quote:
Would "Kazikstan" be a correct answer?
It's always hard to second guess the judges, but I would say no. IK instead of AK is wrong.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #190
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
. . . It's always hard to second guess the judges . . .
Huh? LOL. I mean they are usually right, but it seems to be pretty easy to second guess. Seems to happen pretty often.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #191
astrohip
Stuart F

Not again. Teacher's Tourney, we're in the Semi-Finals. Winner goes on to the Finals! Scores entering Final Jeopardy:

John Pearson: $8,700
Timothy Shuker-Haines: $8,400
Katie Moriarty: $4,800

Timothy needs to bet $301 to overtake John, or $1201 to beat John and/or Katie. If it's a triple-stumper, he is guaranteed the win.

So he bets it all, $8400, and it's a TS. He ends up with -0-. John, who needed to bet $8100 to cover any combo, actually bet $8200, and was left with $500. And that was enough to win.

Timothy had this game, and poor betting gave it away.

Here's a link to the JBoard discussion:
http://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1668

BTW, here is FJ:

Category: Buildings

Charles Evans Hughes laid the cornerstone for this building on October 13, 1932 & got to work in it for about 6 years.
Spoiler:

What is the Supreme Court Building? Katie said the Flatiron Building; Timothy and John both said the Empire State Building.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #192
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Not again.
I am much more aware of the betting strategies thanks (to I think you for raising this upthread.)

Do the totals from this round carry over to the final round to give you a head start?

Do these totals equate to real dollars earned?

(I'm a bit behind so haven't watched any of the tourney yet.)
Old 11-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #193
MacThor
Not Pictured

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
I am much more aware of the betting strategies thanks (to I think you for raising this upthread.)

Do the totals from this round carry over to the final round to give you a head start?

No, winners advance to the finals and start w/$0.

I don't recall if semifinalist - 2nd place gets any different $$ than semifinalist - 3rd place.
MacThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #194
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:

I believe that in the tournaments, the only variable amount money to win is in the finals, and there's a fixed minimum.

Also you don't carry-over anything from one round to the next. The only exception is the finals, which are a two-day event. Your final score is the sum of both days. But everyone starts the finals at $0.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #195
waynomo
My One Time

All that makes the bet even worse. I was looking for some silver lining.

Last edited by waynomo : 11-19-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #196
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
All that makes the bet even worse. I was looking for some silver lining.
On the two day finals, betting becomes a true art. And all my whining gets thrown out the window, as it's no longer black & white. It's fun to watch the different strategies on the first day of a two day game.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #197
astrohip
Stuart F

This is getting painful. These teachers are incredible people (listen to their stories and try to stay dry-eyed), but they have got to learn to bet.

Second place bets all-in, and luckily, she was the only one who got it. Had she missed FJ, and it was a toughie, she would end up in third. But had she bet according to strategy, she would have won, even with a wrong answer. ONLY because she was the only one to get FJ did she advance.

FJ: The 2012 Olympics
NBC reported that in the first days of Olympic coverage, this sport seen in recent books & on film was the most watched on cable.
Spoiler:

What is Archery?

Old 11-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #198
mattack

I'm not reading the spoilers about this until I catch up.. But we did learn something a few weeks ago that I hadn't known before..

Unfortunately I don't remember the details, but one guy said something like "I wanted to bet $X but you wouldn't let me". Like they wouldn't let him bet too small of an amount for a Daily Double. Does anybody remember that?

They CAN bet $0 for Final Jeopardy.. so why couldn't they bet $0 for Daily Double?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #199
Bananfish
Preowned Member

Because with a $0 bet on a Daily Double, the clue and answer would be superfluous -- there's not really any reason even to give the clue. It takes the drama out of that clue, and I would guess the producers think that such an event makes the game less "fun" for the audience and therefore bad for ratings, and therefore bans it.

In Final Jeopardy, on the other hand, the clue and answer are not superfluous with a $0 bet because the other players are probably not also betting $0, and even if they were, from the audience standpoint, it's not superfluous because they do not reveal the bet until after each contestant's answer, so there's still drama to the reveal.
DVD: PS3 & DMP-BDT220 (LR)/A3 HD-DVD (BR)
AVR: Pio Elite 1120/Onkyo HT-S650
Spkrs: KEF T Series
Remote: Harmony 550

Last edited by Bananfish : 11-21-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Bananfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #200
astrohip
Stuart F

Decent bets yesterday, no whining needed. Today starts the two-day Finals of the Teacher's Tourney.

Here is the FJ from yesterday's last semi game:

Novel Titles

These are not found in the Koran, & the angel Gabriel told Muhammad that they were not revealed by God.
Spoiler:

What are The Satanic Verses?

It was a triple get. I didn't have a clue.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #201
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Decent bets yesterday, no whining needed. Today starts the two-day Finals of the Teacher's Tourney.

Here is the FJ from yesterday's last semi game:

Novel Titles

These are not found in the Koran, & the angel Gabriel told Muhammad that they were not revealed by God.
Spoiler:

What are The Satanic Verses?

It was a triple get. I didn't have a clue.
They gave you the clue. You had no idea.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #202
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
They gave you the clue. You had no idea.
No, they gave him the answer. He didn't have the question.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #203
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananfish View Post
Because with a $0 bet on a Daily Double, the clue and answer would be superfluous -- there's not really any reason even to give the clue. It takes the drama out of that clue, and I would guess the producers think that such an event makes the game less "fun" for the audience and therefore bad for ratings, and therefore bans it.
I mean, I figured out that logic too.. but sometimes a player gets hosed when they get the DJ answer as the LAST or NEARLY last answer in the DJ round. If they are slightly above 2x the next player, it can make it NOT a runaway...
Old 02-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #204
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

So I was watching the Tournament of Champions "Decades" 1980's game last night and Chuck Forrest was on. My mother and I were discussing the game after it was over..she thought that Chuck was overly aggressive and super-pi$$ed off whenever anyone else got an answer correct, and/or whenever someone else chose the "Daily Double" clue...I don't know, he just seemed super intense, and maybe even a little nervous after all these years...
What did others think?
Old 02-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #205
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Speaking of Forrest, apparently the current champ, Arthur Chu, (well, I don't watch, so I don't know if he still is) is really aggressive on the "Forrest Bounce" (looking for the daily doubles) and the "Perfect Final" bet......

And is being roundly blasted by Jeopardy! fans, claiming that he's not following the spirit of the game. According to them, a contestant is supposed to row through the categories logically, from least hard to most hard, and be grateful when a DD is found, and bet the Final based on his confidence in the subject, and not maximize his chance of winning.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #206
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
Speaking of Forrest, apparently the current champ, Arthur Chu, (well, I don't watch, so I don't know if he still is) is really aggressive on the "Forrest Bounce" (looking for the daily doubles) and the "Perfect Final" bet......

And is being roundly blasted by Jeopardy! fans, claiming that he's not following the spirit of the game. According to them, a contestant is supposed to row through the categories logically, from least hard to most hard, and be grateful when a DD is found, and bet the Final based on his confidence in the subject, and not maximize his chance of winning.

--Carlos V.
http://www.salon.com/2014/02/04/in_p...roke_jeopardy/
Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #207
mattack

Yeah, I remember seeing (in the middle of the night) a tease on CNN (which I usually tune to to have in the buffer) about Jeopardy.. Then it's now a day or two later, and I'm seeing all of these articles....

and this really didn't sound new at all. There have been people who jump around for a long time.

I haven't caught up yet, I think I'm about a week and a half back (luckily, I "randomly" recorded a "To Be Announced" show on the night of the state of the union and it HAPPENED to actually be Jeopardy!)
Old 02-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #208
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
Holy crap, seriously?!

Way too many people in this world don't kill themselves.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #209
busyba
The Funcooker

Didn't Ken Jennings employ the same strategy?

Old 02-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #210
waynomo
My One Time

Certainly others have done similar, but not to the extent that Chu has.