TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #91
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

IMO, the correct answer to the zelda question is The Hyrule Fantasy: Legend of Zelda or the Japanese equivalent. That is the game that launched the franchise. It was renamed to The Legend of Zelda for its subsequent releases on cartridge.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #92
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
IMO, the correct answer to the zelda question is The Hyrule Fantasy: Legend of Zelda or the Japanese equivalent. That is the game that launched the franchise. It was renamed to The Legend of Zelda for its subsequent releases on cartridge.
From what I have been reading alternate names are acceptable. The example that comes to mind is it was originally Alice's Adventures in Wonderland has also been published has Alice in Wonderland. Both would be correct.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #93
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
One of the things that I think has changed sometime in the last 20 years is the requirement for first and last name. I thought the rule used to be in Jeopardy you could use only the last name, but in Double Jeopardy you needed both first and last. Now they seem to accept just the last name unless answering with only the last name is ambiguous.

Anybody recall?
Generally, if the last name is enough to clearly question the answer, they will accept it. "He discovered gravity. Who is Newton?" will work.

But if the judges don't think it's sufficient, they usually give you a quick chance to elaborate. But if you don't instantly jump in with "Who is Albert Newton?", they will bzz you.

And in FJ, you need to be certain a single name will suffice, as you get no second chances. They don't always require a full name in FJ, if a single name is clear. But if it's not, you are dead meat.

"This president declared war against Canada." If you answer Johnson, you are out, as it's not clear which Johnson you meant. Whereas if you answer Nixon, it would be accepted.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #94
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Generally, if the last name is enough to clearly question the answer, they will accept it. "He discovered gravity. Who is Newton?" will work.

But if the judges don't think it's sufficient, they usually give you a quick chance to elaborate. But if you don't instantly jump in with "Who is Albert Newton?", they will bzz you.

And in FJ, you need to be certain a single name will suffice, as you get no second chances. They don't always require a full name in FJ, if a single name is clear. But if it's not, you are dead meat.

"This president declared war against Canada." If you answer Johnson, you are out, as it's not clear which Johnson you meant. Whereas if you answer Nixon, it would be accepted.
Damn. Where was I when Nixon declared war on Canada?

I was thinking that they may have eased up the rules about needing a first name. I do understand the current rule. Is it possible that it changed or is my memory a bit fuzzy?
Old 07-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #95
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Damn. Where was I when Nixon declared war on Canada?

I was thinking that they may have eased up the rules about needing a first name. I do understand the current rule. Is it possible that it changed or is my memory a bit fuzzy?
We'll need Trainman to answer that. Even though he claims he's in his 30's, he seems to know an awful lot about Jeopardy from 40 years ago.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #96
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
The funniest (to me) FJ happened about a month or two ago. The clue was something about "his diary entry" of April <something> 1945, read <something about having no regrets despite it all or something like that>.

I had absolutely no idea, but based on the date, I guessed Hitler.

They go to the third place contestant and she guessed Hitler, and Alex says "no... not even close."

I was like, "whoa! Dick move Alex!"

To his credit though, after they did the wager/total reveal, Alex offered a quick "sorry about that" before moving on to the next contestants.

The really funny part was that the other two guys also guessed Hitler.

I think the correct answer was Harry Truman.
Are you sure it was April 1945? Because August 1945 would be right after Truman dropped the bombs on Japan and that would make a lot more sense with the "no regrets" portion of the question.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #97
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

It wouldn't matter how quickly you jumped in with that answer. They'd buzz you anyway.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #98
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
We'll need Trainman to answer that. Even though he claims he's in his 30's, he seems to know an awful lot about Jeopardy from 40 years ago.
My mother watched the original version while I was in the womb.

I think waynomo's memory is a little fuzzy -- as far as I know, the "last name acceptance" rule has always been the same.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #99
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
It wouldn't matter how quickly you jumped in with that answer. They'd buzz you anyway.

lol

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #100
DouglasPHill

Are the contestants prevented from hitting the buzzers until after Alex is done reading the question?
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #101
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
Are the contestants prevented from hitting the buzzers until after Alex is done reading the question?
No, but they don't actually work until after.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #102
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
No, but they don't actually work until after.
Also, my understanding is that if you buzz in early, you get some kind of penalty where your buzzer is locked out for some small fraction of a second. This way, there's no point in you just spamming the button before Alex is done with the hopes of one of your clicks hitting right when they go active.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #103
astrohip
Stuart F

There is a light around the board that TV viewers can't see. You can only (properly) buzz in once it's lit up, and it lights up the instant he finishes reading. Buzz in too early, you are locked out just long enough for someone else to buzz in.

So yeah, buzzer management is a key skill to master.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #104
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
There is a light around the board that TV viewers can't see. You can only (properly) buzz in once it's lit up, and it lights up the instant he finishes reading. Buzz in too early, you are locked out just long enough for someone else to buzz in.

So yeah, buzzer management is a key skill to master.
Do you have any idea of the mechanics of how this works? Is there a person? Sound activated?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #105
busyba
The Funcooker

I heard that it's a guy. But it's always the same guy, so it's got the same rhythm all the time, leading to an advantage for the returning champion.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #106
MarkofT

in various interviews I've seen for Ken Jennings, he claimed that it wasn't just his knowledge that kept him winning, but his skill in hitting the button as soon as possible so he could answer the questions he knew.
MarkofT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #107
waynomo
My One Time

Anybody watch Friday's show? From contestant standpoint this has to be one of the worst showings in a long time.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #108
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

Quote:
Are you sure it was April 1945? Because August 1945 would be right after Truman dropped the bombs on Japan and that would make a lot more sense with the "no regrets" portion of the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Jeopardy
In a PS to an April 12, 1945 letter, he wrote, “This was dictated before the world fell in on me… what a blow it was. But– I must meet it.”
That threw me as well - with the date, I didn't guess Truman. But it wasn't about the bombs, it was about Roosevelt's death and Truman being sworn in as President.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #109
DeDondeEs

I never realized that they counted spelling in Final Jeopardy:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/05/showbi...html?hpt=hp_t3

Although according to the story he would have still finished in the same overall place if he did get credit for it.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #110
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Kind of makes sense, though. If you allow a minor misspelling, then where do you draw the line between that and a larger misspelling. Would it be OK if the contestant spelled something phonetically? I think a hard-line rule of "the answer has to be spelled right to be right" is really the only sensible way to deal with something like that.

Although Trebek could have been less of an ass about it. Admittedly, the answer looks all kinds of wrong when you just glance at it, but there was only one extra letter in there, and the judges had clearly had time to look it over and make a decision.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #111
waynomo
My One Time

It's funny. That show was the first show I have missed in quite some time.

I was going to be out for the evening and I wanted to transfer a movie over from the PC so my wife could watch it. I wanted to have the TiVo dedicated to transferring the movie so it wouldn't pause while my wife was watching so I canceled all recordings for that evening including Jeopardy. It was no big deal for any of the others since they would all be repeated later. But of course not Jeopardy.

Then I watch Thursday's show and of course Alex mentions the kid setting the record. And now this controversy!
Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #112
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
FJ will always make a reference to what they are looking for. In this case. see the bold red part. THIS GAME. You need to give the name of the game.

This happens with some regularity. A contestant will write down something that is part of the question, but is not the exact part they are looking for.
And for the record I now agree with the point you make. "This" is a clue telling you what they are looking for. After watching a bit more carefully over the last month or so, I do see this come up quite a bit in clues. I just never payed that close attention to it before I guess. (And it is not just in FJ.)

Last edited by waynomo : 08-05-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #113
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Kind of makes sense, though. If you allow a minor misspelling, then where do you draw the line between that and a larger misspelling. Would it be OK if the contestant spelled something phonetically? I think a hard-line rule of "the answer has to be spelled right to be right" is really the only sensible way to deal with something like that.

Although Trebek could have been less of an ass about it. Admittedly, the answer looks all kinds of wrong when you just glance at it, but there was only one extra letter in there, and the judges had clearly had time to look it over and make a decision.
FJ has different rules than regular Jeopardy. They will allow misspelling, as long as the word is otherwise correct. So phonetically is generally allowed. But if the misspelling creates a different word--emanciptation is not emancipation--then it will not be accepted.

So if the answer is "John Deere", they would allow "John Dear".
Old 08-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #114
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
if the misspelling creates a different word--emanciptation is not emancipation--then it will not be accepted.

But "emanciptation" isn't "another" word because it isn't a word.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #115
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
But "emanciptation" isn't "another" word because it isn't a word.
What I meant is it's not the actual word, phonetic or not. It's another word, regardless of whether that word actually exists. You're being petty, the point is it's the wrong word.

Here's a comment from the Jeopardy forum, that I think covers it well...

Quote:
J! is very consistent about the FJ spelling rules. ("Bejamin Franklin".) They can't start bending the rules for "close enough" for two reasons. One, there is a Standards and Practices department that makes sure the game is fair -- which includes enforcing the rules evenly -- and two, when you give a player in a three player game credit for an incorrect answer, you are being unfair to the other two players.

Recently in a knowledge competition, an official ruled one team correct for answers of "Steven Hawkings" and "A Midsummer's Night Dream" in one game. Close enough? Sure they are. But they are also (according to the rules of the game) incorrect, and the other team felt like they had been treated unfairly.
Could Alex have been kinder in his reaction? Sure. But the kid was still wrong.

No one commenting on the winner's bet? He risked a Clavin!
Old 08-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #116
nickels
opinionated dope

I TiVo Jeopardy so I am still mid-last week. Anyone catch the 10 year old girl playing on Tuesday? She was part nervous, part cute, and part goofball. I loved her, but she was an odd one. I cracked up when she tried to buzz in during her "Double Jeopardy" clue. Hilarious kid!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #117
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
I TiVo Jeopardy so I am still mid-last week. Anyone catch the 10 year old girl playing on Tuesday? She was part nervous, part cute, and part goofball. I loved her, but she was an odd one. I cracked up when she tried to buzz in during her "Double Jeopardy" clue. Hilarious kid!
Pretty much agree. Cute.
We've seen adults buff in during their DJ clue. I think it just happened within the last month.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #118
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Although Trebek could have been less of an ass about it.
Do you even watch the show????

Old 08-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #119
busyba
The Funcooker

The 10 year old was too cute for words.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #120
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
And you have seen something like this happen on FJ? I get the feeling that you have a ton more experience watching the show than I do.

I am not sure dear/deer/deere is fair either.

FWIW - I would suck at FJ as I am a really poor speller. (Among other reasons.)

Last edited by waynomo : 08-05-2013 at 04:10 PM.