TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #301
astrohip
Stuart F

And the beat goes on... Another FJ wager thrown away. This is yesterday's game, Mon Mar 24.

Here are the numbers going into FJ, and the wagers:
Nancy Akerman: $13,200-$10,401=$2,799
Derek Arnold: $11,800-$11,800=$0
Joe Morse: $6,400-$6,400=$0

Derek should have bet $1,400 (or 1401) to cover a Nancy loss. By betting it all, he was giving away the possibility of both of them missing. Which happened.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #302
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
For much more "iocane powder" type analysis, see a site called The Final Wager.

http://thefinalwager.co/2014/03/17/f...march-17-2014/

Inconceivable!
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #303
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Nice article on the history of Jeopardy - thought some of you might enjoy it:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/55652...story-jeopardy
Old 03-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #304
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Nice article on the history of Jeopardy - thought some of you might enjoy it:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/55652...story-jeopardy
Typo in the article: it says the show premiered on March 20, 1964. That should be March 30 (a Monday).
Old 03-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #305
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Typo in the article: it says the show premiered on March 20, 1964. That should be March 30 (a Monday).
I'm sure the judge's would have corrected it.

I would love to see a show that shows his the judges work. Actually would like to see a show how everything on the background works.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:44 PM   #306
jimmyjjohn

I believe I saw this years ago and forgot about it. Trebeck may have even mentioned it once.
jimmyjjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #307
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
I would love to see a show that shows his the judges work. Actually would like to see a show how everything on the background works.
If I recall correctly, this PBS documentary shows a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff -- but, as you may notice, it's 25 years old.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #308
mcb08
Hoya for life!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
And the beat goes on... Another FJ wager thrown away. This is yesterday's game, Mon Mar 24.

Here are the numbers going into FJ, and the wagers:
Nancy Akerman: $13,200-$10,401=$2,799
Derek Arnold: $11,800-$11,800=$0
Joe Morse: $6,400-$6,400=$0

Derek should have bet $1,400 (or 1401) to cover a Nancy loss. By betting it all, he was giving away the possibility of both of them missing. Which happened.
Derek should have bet $1,001. Nancy had to bet $10,401 to cover Derek's max bet. If Joe bets everything and is correct, his total is $12,800. Derek's $1,001 bet takes him to $12,801.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #309
TracySMiller

What did you folks think of the Battle of the Decades? Did you enjoy the level of competition? How did your favorite champions do?
TracySMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #310
Demandred
RPSLS Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySMiller View Post
What did you folks think of the Battle of the Decades? Did you enjoy the level of competition? How did your favorite champions do?
I thought it was great! As I expected it came down to Brad and Ken. Actually Roger could have won if he wouldn't have gotten all those Daily Double questions wrong. It's hard to believe Ken missed that question about the Secretaries of State but I also don't think he'd throw a million dollars away.

Close game yesterday! Glad Julia was able to pull out the win.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #311
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred View Post
I thought it was great! As I expected it came down to Brad and Ken. Actually Roger could have won if he wouldn't have gotten all those Daily Double questions wrong. It's hard to believe Ken missed that question about the Secretaries of State but I also don't think he'd throw a million dollars away.

Close game yesterday! Glad Julia was able to pull out the win.
And if he got them right he would have won. It's how he became the highest one day winner.

I like Julia too. She's the most game winning woman of all time now. I don't know if she's highest grossing or not if you include Tournament winners.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #312
lambertman
Not single!

Quote:
I like Julia too. She's the most game winning woman of all time now. I don't know if she's highest grossing or not if you include Tournament winners.
Quick glance - looks like she's in 4th place in cash among women. Celeste DiNucci has $339,601, which includes $250K for winning the 2007 Tournament of Champions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you

Last edited by lambertman : 05-20-2014 at 11:42 AM.
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #313
astrohip
Stuart F

I enjoyed the Tourney. It's amazing how it came down to the three it did. And to come down to one final FJ to determine the one million dollar winner!

Julia is fun to watch, and on quite a roll. But she wouldn't have won yesterday if 2nd place hadn't bet like a chump. Any decent wager on his part and he's now the champ.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #314
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Behind the scenes at the Battle of the Decades.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prosp...-championship/
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #315
astrohip
Stuart F

Interesting article. It's seems almost universal that Ken is considered a Jeopardy hero, and Brad is the evil brother.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:47 AM   #316
Worf

Is it me or are they moving the Daily Doubles around now that everyone has adopted the Arthur Chu method of high value board jumping? I mean, it seems like the daily double was hidden near the very end.

I do admit while it's a great strategy for getting ahead, I find it really takes a lot of fun out of the clues to begin with.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #317
Silverman

To me it shows contestants are not that smart at all, they simply can memorize things, which for instance is perfect for history, music or even chemical/physics things. I base this on the fact when they had that IBM Big Blue on, it jumped all over the board yet no one else till this guy now figured out it is the best strategy. They all should have done this before Blue, and certainly after he showed them, if they really were great thinkers.
Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #318
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverman View Post
To me it shows contestants are not that smart at all, they simply can memorize things, which for instance is perfect for history, music or even chemical/physics things.
I think that is too broad a statement. Certainly to be successful on Jeopardy requires vast knowledge on a variety of subjects. To be very successful requires intuitive thinking. Taking a clue where you don't know the answer*, and letting your neurons wander down pathways until it leaps to mind, I would call that intelligence.

YMMV.

*yeah I know, it's the question, not the answer. sue me.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #319
ferrumpneuma
fading fast

I loved the tournament.

They should do a week long invitational match between the final three guys.
ferrumpneuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #320
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Is it me or are they moving the Daily Doubles around now that everyone has adopted the Arthur Chu method of high value board jumping? I mean, it seems like the daily double was hidden near the very end.
Even Arthur Chu will tell you that it's really the Chuck Forrest method of board jumping.

I haven't noticed any difference in Daily Double hiding places -- i.e., more often than not, they're in the 3rd or 4th row, in a non-pop culture, non-wordplay category. I think whatever you're seeing is a coincidence.

I don't think the current champion Julia's been jumping around the board all that much, so I think it's a little inaccurate to say that everyone has adopted the strategy. (Also, I believe her episodes were taped before Arthur's aired.)
Old 05-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #321
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrumpneuma View Post
I loved the tournament.

They should do a week long invitational match between the final three guys.
This is the third time Brad and Ken have competed against each other (on Jeopardy, at least); they have played 7 complete games (three in the Ultimate / "Beat Ken Jennings" tournament, two against WATSON, and two in this tournament.

What they should do is, have sort of a "King of the Hill" event, with Brad against next year's Tournament of Champions winner and either Ken or some wild card; each year's winner comes back the following year to face the next Tournament of Champions winner and another wild card. (ABC's Password did something like this during its run, but I think the same person won all three times.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #322
TracySMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
What they should do is, have sort of a "King of the Hill" event, with Brad against next year's Tournament of Champions winner and either Ken or some wild card; each year's winner comes back the following year to face the next Tournament of Champions winner and another wild card.
I LOVE this idea! I think the last two SuperTournaments have made it abundantly clear that Brad and Ken are head and shoulders above the rest, pretty much in a league of their own. I would have Brad and Ken play annually against that year's ToC winner, with the winner retaining the Jeopardy! King title. Actually, just for fun, I'd do it retroactively, and let the ToC winners from all the way back to the first ToC give it a shot, if they want to try it.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:16 PM   #323
ferrumpneuma
fading fast

I went to high school with a Tracy Miller a long time ago in Mokena Illinois.
ferrumpneuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #324
TracySMiller

Julia now has clear third-place for all-time regular season wins. Will she make it 14 tonight? She makes it look so easy. Sort of like Alex Trebek, in that regard. Those are going to be some hard shoes to fill, if he sticks with his plan of retiring in 2016. He recently stepped down from hosting the National Geography Bee, which he handled for 25 years.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #325
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
I base this on the fact when they had that IBM Big Blue on, it jumped all over the board yet no one else till this guy now figured out it is the best strategy.
Just plain untrue. Many contestants have jumped around the board over the years. So many in fact, that I can't understand where this myth comes from.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:42 AM   #326
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Just plain untrue. Many contestants have jumped around the board over the years. So many in fact, that I can't understand where this myth comes from.
You don't understand ignorance?
Old 05-25-2014, 01:50 AM   #327
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Shes doesn't need the money. She's from Kenilworth, which is like being from Beverly Hills, only with no phonies.

Kenilworth has the highest per-capita income in the midwest.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #328
Silverman

Quote:
Well, if that is true not only do I not see it very much before this one guy, but please explain why everyone is talking about this guy and his new way of playing then? I mean articles are all over on every TV site and a bunch of people don't like it for various reasons, yet you claim not a thing happened--so everyone is wrong too, I don't think so.
Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #329
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Well, if that is true not only do I not see it very much before this one guy, but please explain why everyone is talking about this guy and his new way of playing then? I mean articles are all over on every TV site and a bunch of people don't like it for various reasons, yet you claim not a thing happened--so everyone is wrong too, I don't think so.
Chu even admits he picked this up from other players . I forget the names. I think one was even Roger just featured in the Tournament of Champions.

People are speculating that part of this has to do with Chu's appearance or mannerisms. Others that it's because he has cut off Alex on occasion. (Others do that all the time also.) For some reason he has become a lightning rod for this style of playing.

Just because people say something doesn't make it so.

I'm pretty sure that all this was discussed here earlier. Even Ken Jennings in some of his interviews about Chu has wondered why all the hate directed at Chu for doing things that others have done.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #330
busyba
The Funcooker

Maybe if he were a clean cut white boy...

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote