TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-29-2015, 10:23 PM   #1
sonnik
Innovations.

Mr. Robot "eps1.5_br4ve-trave1er.asf" 7/29/2015

Great episode. I was thinking this would be mid-season fill time, but it's nice to see some gritty consequences.

sonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:24 AM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

So will this break Elliot or turn him into a monster?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
So will this break Elliot or turn him into a monster?
Wouldn't that be the same thing?

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Wouldn't that be the same thing?
Not really...a broken man isn't a monster.

Of course, he was pretty broken to begin with!

Old 07-31-2015, 01:27 AM   #5
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Wow, I was surprised they killed of Shayla. I mean I wasn't surprised when the guy tossed him the keys and said she's been with you the whole time, because at that point it was obvious, but up until that point, I hadn't considered they'd do that to her.

So was that prison fully automated or something? No human guards working there? How could Elliot and the prisoner dude stand directly outside the fence for so many minutes without any sense of urgency to get out of there? And then the dude commits a murder? And then we find out there's another body in the trunk? And then Elliot still just stands there and doesn't immediately start wiping his fingerprints off the car and then running away?

Note to self: If you ever see a whole bunch of flash drives scattered on the ground, do not pick one up and plug it into your computer.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:27 AM   #6
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Wow, I was surprised they killed of Shayla. I mean I wasn't surprised when the guy tossed him the keys and said she's been with you the whole time, because at that point it was obvious, but up until that point, I hadn't considered they'd do that to her.

So was that prison fully automated or something? No human guards working there? How could Elliot and the prisoner dude stand directly outside the fence for so many minutes without any sense of urgency to get out of there? And then the dude commits a murder? And then we find out there's another body in the trunk? And then Elliot still just stands there and doesn't immediately start wiping his fingerprints off the car and then running away?

Note to self: If you ever see a whole bunch of flash drives scattered on the ground, do not pick one up and plug it into your computer.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:04 AM   #7
Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
How could Elliot and the prisoner dude stand directly outside the fence for so many minutes without any sense of urgency to get out of there? And then the dude commits a murder? And then we find out there's another body in the trunk? And then Elliot still just stands there and doesn't immediately start wiping his fingerprints off the car and then running away?
Beyond ridiculous. There's a massive prison escape, dozens of police/guards, and Elliot is standing in the center with an open try trunk and dead body. There's only one plausible explanation for the scene which is that Elliot hallucinated and Shayla is still alive which would be lazy writing.

Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

They held the camera on that last scene where you were waiting for a minute or two for her to pop up and get out of the trunk.

The whole CTO thing is way convoluted. She goes to Mr. Evil's house and BF is there with him?

Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
vman41
Omega Consumer

The colloquy between Elliot and Mr. Robot was convenient way for the writers to reveal his thought process for dealing with gangsters.

vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #10
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post
Beyond ridiculous. There's a massive prison escape, dozens of police/guards, and Elliot is standing in the center with an open try trunk and dead body. There's only one plausible explanation for the scene which is that Elliot hallucinated and Shayla is still alive which would be lazy writing.
I think the hallucination scene was the one in the restaurant.

It began with Shayla saying "It doesn't seem real" and Mr and Mrs Average did not turn and carried on eating when she was dragged out.

She was dead at the end of the previous episode.

I think the explanation for the prison escape scene is that artistic licence sometimes compresses distances to make it clearer to the viewer what is going on.

pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #11
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgogborn View Post
I think the hallucination scene was the one in the restaurant.

It began with Shayla saying "It doesn't seem real" and Mr and Mrs Average did not turn and carried on eating when she was dragged out.

She was dead at the end of the previous episode.
I don't think there's any evidence to support that theory. I think it's more likely that they were simply in a restaurant where all the patrons know it's run by criminals and they just need to mind their own business and keep their heads down. At least that's how I interpreted that scene.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:58 AM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgogborn View Post
I think the explanation for the prison escape scene is that artistic licence sometimes compresses distances to make it clearer to the viewer what is going on.
Yeah, FWIW they showe all the prisoner/guard action as happening in the far background. Obviously, Elliot & Co. would have been quite visible from there, but I suspect it's like when people step a few steps away and talk in a normal tone of voice, yet nobody can hear them.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
pgogborn

Quote:
I don't think there's any evidence to support that theory. I think it's more likely that they were simply in a restaurant where all the patrons know it's run by criminals and they just need to mind their own business and keep their heads down. At least that's how I interpreted that scene.
On the other hand in the previous episode's thread I posted "R.I.P. Shayla" and in this episode 's you posted "Wow, I was surprised they killed of Shayla"

Old 07-31-2015, 02:08 PM   #14
JYoung
Series 3

Elliot, Elliot, Elliot, always negotiate for the hostage to be given back to you alive.

I hope you learned this lesson for when Angela is kidnapped.

Vera seems a lot smarter in this episode than previous episodes.
Not only did he figure out that Elliot turned him in, he figured out that his brother was going to kill him.

Too bad about Shayla. I kind of liked her.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:24 PM   #15
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Not only did he figure out that Elliot turned him in, he figured out that his brother was going to kill him.
I've been wondering how he knew that. When he was talking to his lawyer he looked at something that made him think of Eliot but I'm not sure of the connection.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:44 PM   #16
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
I've been wondering how he knew that. When he was talking to his lawyer he looked at something that made him think of Eliot but I'm not sure of the connection.
She was berating him for being so dumb as use online social media fro his crimes. Dunno what it was, but something told him that Elliot knew computers.

UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #17
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
The whole CTO thing is way convoluted. She goes to Mr. Evil's house and BF is there with him?
You mean the former CTO? I don't think that the person who answered the door was Angela's ex-boyfriend if that's what you're saying...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
It's not obvious he did figure out his brother was going to kill him. The entire reason the brother didn't want Vera out of prison was that Vera blamed him for getting him caught in the first place, by putting all their business on social media. The brother was sure Vera would kill him, and he did. Especially after Elliot told Vera that he had hacked the brother's phone again and gotten even more details off of it (which may or may not have been true... we saw Elliot with the brother's phone number on the screen but nothing else.)

Old 08-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #18
robojerk

Quote:
If I remember correctly, Fernando Vera flipping through photo evidence against him when his epiphany kicked in that Elliot was the one that got him arrested. Either he saw something in a photo, or just figured Elliot was the new person in his life, when suddenly things go wrong for him. Fernando kept talking about the universe, and being square (even) with it. Maybe the universe told him. Anyone able to get a screen capture of the photo we has looking at?

Old 08-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #19
UTV2TiVo

The brother had a chance to kill Vera but hesitated long enough to let Vera tell his henchman to kill the brother first. The writers set up this hesitation by the brother to kill when he threatened to kill Eliot earlier in the episode.

UTV2TiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #20
UTV2TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
If I remember correctly, Fernando Vera flipping through photo evidence against him when his epiphany kicked in that Elliot was the one that got him arrested. Either he saw something in a photo, or just figured Elliot was the new person in his life, when suddenly things go wrong for him. Fernando kept talking about the universe, and being square (even) with it. Maybe the universe told him. Anyone able to get a screen capture of the photo we has looking at?
I don't have a screen capture but I recall that it was of the coffee table in Shayla's apartment that had Vera's gun and a vial of some sort. i think the vial was Eliot's drug.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #21
UTV2TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
You mean the former CTO? I don't think that the person who answered the door was Angela's ex-boyfriend if that's what you're saying...?
At first I thought it was her ex-boyfriend who opened the door but then later realized it must just be the former CTO's son.

I wonder what she was planning on telling the CTO before chickening out?

Old 08-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #22
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
It's not obvious he did figure out his brother was going to kill him. The entire reason the brother didn't want Vera out of prison was that Vera blamed him for getting him caught in the first place, by putting all their business on social media. The brother was sure Vera would kill him, and he did. Especially after Elliot told Vera that he had hacked the brother's phone again and gotten even more details off of it (which may or may not have been true... we saw Elliot with the brother's phone number on the screen but nothing else.)
That's why I thought it was a bit of a stretch that Vera thought that Isaac was going to kill him.

As discussed above, I believe that we're supposed to glean that Vera figured out Elliot turned him in because of the picture that had Elliot's drug of choice in the vial.

Now, I think that Shayla did mention that Elliot was the only one of her customers who used that but it's still a stretch to connect that to Elliot turning him in.

Even if Shayla told Vera that Elliot is good with computers, that's still a tenuous link, IMO.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #23
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
Fernando looks at a picture, then looks at it again, focus is on Elliot's drug vial. Fernando goes back to his cell and thinks; after a bit his face lights up and he says "So that's you. That's who you are!" and exhales dramatically. Of course we in the audience knew he's going to figure out it's Elliot because that's the obvious explanation for the viewpoint to be following Fernando in the jail.

1-vial.jpg 2-pensive.jpg 3-epiphany.jpg

Last edited by ej42137; 08-01-2015 at 02:58 PM.
ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #24
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

The next question is: if Vera thinks Eliot is the one who turned him in why didn't he have him killed immediately? He did kill his own brother, you would think killing Eliot would be a no brainer.
Maybe he never made that connection, but his epiphany was that Eliot was the one who could figure out how to get him out of jail.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #25
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
The next question is: if Vera thinks Eliot is the one who turned him in why didn't he have him killed immediately? He did kill his own brother, you would think killing Eliot would be a no brainer. Maybe he never made that connection, but his epiphany was that Eliot was the one who could figure out how to get him out of jail.
When Elliot went in the jail and met with Vera, he told Vera that he got all the info off the brother's phone and that he had set up a program to auto send the info to the cops every 24 hours if Elliot didn't enter a special sequence. So basically, Elliot is protected as long as Vera wants to stay out of jail.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #26
pgogborn

Quote:
The next question is: if Vera thinks Eliot is the one who turned him in why didn't he have him killed immediately? He did kill his own brother, you would think killing Eliot would be a no brainer.
Maybe he never made that connection, but his epiphany was that Eliot was the one who could figure out how to get him out of jail.
Killing Elliot would have been swift and merciful. Instead he killled Shayla and is letting Elliot live with the knowledge that he broke a promise to Shayla and is responsible for her death.

Also Elliot could again be useful in the future.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #27
UTV2TiVo

Quote:
At first I thought it was her ex-boyfriend who opened the door but then later realized it must just be the former CTO's son.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #28
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTV2TiVo View Post

The reason why she didn't tell him is he didn't recognise her.

That would have damaged her and could have consequences for what she does in the future. Perhaps she could get Elliot to do a hack relating to the ankle bracelet.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #29
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:
When Elliot went in the jail and met with Vera, he told Vera that he got all the info off the brother's phone and that he had set up a program to auto send the info to the cops every 24 hours if Elliot didn't enter a special sequence. So basically, Elliot is protected as long as Vera wants to stay out of jail.
Oh, right. I forgot about that.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:20 PM   #30
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Vera can stay out of jail?

What that minor issue about him escaping from prison?

UVerse and OTA