Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Heroes Reborn: Full Season

There.

The Katana girl is weird. Who has the power? Her? Is it in the sword? Her father who made it?

Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
nickels
opinionated dope

Fool me once....

How was it?

Old 09-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I liked it. Obviously, they are starting slow and letting things develop. No Syler, and no twins with gunk in their eyes. I stopped watching in the middle of S2 of the first series.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
allan
Can't think of one

So far so good, IMHO. It seems unfocused, but this is only the first ep. It could go either way.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
Shakhari

They seem to be trying to go back to the well a bit with the storyline, mostly from season one with all the bag-and-tag stuff, a little bit from season three with the government registration act.

I found the Robbie Kay character a bit distracting because he was the central part of the Peter Pan storyline that ruined Once Upon a Time for me.

Another nit: two ordinary people with conventional weapons take out an entire room full of evos? Really? The guy with super speed should have been able to drop both of them by himself, but instead he just runs around the room in a circle until one of the ordinary humans shoots him.

Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

I started touching on it in the other thread. I'm still on the fence about it. It seems a lot like the original series. If that's the case, it won't hold me for long. The first one had some pretty sloppy writing. For instance, the guy that tried to kill Noah? Why didn't he just kill him? He could have just pulled out a gun and shot him. But he decides to try to strangle him instead.

I didn't like the two killers running around committing mass murder. They not only kill any evos they find, and come off incredibly one-dimensionally in the process, but will kill any regular person who happens to be around. I foresee them being like Sylar was in the first series. He was a horrible viscous villain, but the audience liked him, so they tried to build him up as being more than just a monster. And because the audience liked him, they just didn't want to outright kill him, so they went through convoluted methods to keep him alive. If you have very complex scripts, you need strong writing skills to pull it off, and it always came off as artificial to me. I can see these two killers being similar. They'll always be, in essence, mass murderers, but we'll be stuck with them for a long time.

I like the penny guy. "A penny for your thoughts." LOL. Here's a question.... was his briefcase filled with pennies? If so, wouldn't it be pretty heavy? Would he have extra strength?

Old 09-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
Another nit: two ordinary people with conventional weapons take out an entire room full of evos? Really? The guy with super speed should have been able to drop both of them by himself, but instead he just runs around the room in a circle until one of the ordinary humans shoots him.
I can understand the speedster not attacking them, but if he's too afraid to engage them, I'd expect him to run out rather than just run around the room.

Depending on their powers, I could see a couple of people with handguns taking out a room full of people. They're not fighters, they're just people who found they have an ability. A handgun can do a lot of damage quickly.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Fool me once....
I'm in this camp. Not a chance I'll be watching...again.

markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
allan
Can't think of one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcarn View Post
I can understand the speedster not attacking them, but if he's too afraid to engage them, I'd expect him to run out rather than just run around the room.

Depending on their powers, I could see a couple of people with handguns taking out a room full of people. They're not fighters, they're just people who found they have an ability. A handgun can do a lot of damage quickly.
That's how I see it. Those evos clearly had no training or fighting skills. If those killers ever encounter evos with any fighting skills, they'll get fryed, frozen, or pounded 1,000 times a second, depending on the powers involved.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
That's how I see it. Those evos clearly had no training or fighting skills. If those killers ever encounter evos with any fighting skills, they'll get fryed, frozen, or pounded 1,000 times a second, depending on the powers involved.
Which made sense in context...this wasn't a revolutionary terror cell plotting the violent downfall of humanity. It's just a bunch of people getting together in a support group to whine about how hard life is as an Evo.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I
I like the penny guy. "A penny for your thoughts." LOL. Here's a question.... was his briefcase filled with pennies? If so, wouldn't it be pretty heavy? Would he have extra strength?
I was also pondering the weight issue, thinking "how strong is he?"

Quote:
My impression was that he wasn't particularly in control of his speed, either due to panic or lack of control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Which made sense in context...this wasn't a revolutionary terror cell plotting the violent downfall of humanity. It's just a bunch of people getting together in a support group to whine about how hard life is as an Evo.
How Emo of them.

I'm still doing a WTF over Katana's power. When she first tried it out, I remember thinking that it was a useless power.
But I guess she can enter Cyberspace and come out somewhere else.

Any bets on whether she's Hiro's daughter?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #12
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post

Did Hiro time travel about 15 years in the past to copulate with the mother?

Old 09-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Well, we saw her father, and he looks nothing like Hiro, plus he's played by a fairly familiar actor...

But the actor's name is Hiro, so you're kinda right!

Old 09-25-2015, 06:25 PM   #14
ADG
Allan

Got through the first 20 minutes. Enjoyed it the first time around, but didn't like what I saw this time. Also, don't like subtitles and it appears there will be a lot (as there were in the first series - but at least the premise was novel and well presented back then).

Yeah - add me to the "fool me once" camp too

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
In one part of the "upcoming" at the end they flashed a bit with Hiro and he had gray in his hair, so there does seem to be some sort of time travel bit going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Well, we saw her father, and he looks nothing like Hiro, plus he's played by a fairly familiar actor...

But the actor's name is Hiro, so you're kinda right!
Are we sure that was her Father? I knew that was the developer of the game, but I didn't think they confirmed it was her father. Although at one point in the game part she says something about recognizing his voice and it's very deep, not like Hiro's at all, so you're probably right.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #16
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
You say that like it's not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
In one part of the "upcoming" at the end they flashed a bit with Hiro and he had gray in his hair, so there does seem to be some sort of time travel bit going on here.

Are we sure that was her Father? I knew that was the developer of the game, but I didn't think they confirmed it was her father. Although at one point in the game part she says something about recognizing his voice and it's very deep, not like Hiro's at all, so you're probably right.
Dan has a point that it's not set in stone that on who's her father yet.

Although since Masi Oka is currently a regular on Hawaii Five-O, it's not like he's available to play a big role here.

I had considered that the whole video game bit was one way to work around his availability.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #17
Cainebj

I stopped watching Heroes so not exactly sure why I watched this.
I felt like it needed a "previously on" Heroes recap....

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #18
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
For instance, the guy that tried to kill Noah? Why didn't he just kill him? He could have just pulled out a gun and shot him. But he decides to try to strangle him instead.
If I recall correctly the Haitian has the ability to wipe memories and to render people unconscious by touching peoples heads. He also can turn off other EVO's powers while their in his presence.

The Haitian could have simply touched Noah's head and rendered him unconscious and then killed him.

Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #19
mooseAndSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Fool me once....

How was it?
Yeah, no kidding! Zero chance I'd watch this.

mooseAndSquirrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #20
smbaker

I was hoping it would go further back to the basics. Instead, there were lots of references to characters from the original. I watched it with my wife who had never seen the original. She said she liked it, but she must have been missing a lot of context.

I thought what made the original season of the original series interesting was that there were relatively few people with powers. This one, to maintain continuity, starts out with lots of people with powers. I don't find it as interesting a starting point.

I wish Hiro had just gone back in time and rebooted the whole universe.

smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #21
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
If I recall correctly the Haitian has the ability to wipe memories and to render people unconscious by touching peoples heads. He also can turn off other EVO's powers while their in his presence.

The Haitian could have simply touched Noah's head and rendered him unconscious and then killed him.
Or, when he was standing behind Noah, he could've just shot him.

Dr. Evil: We are going to put Austin Powers in an elaborately and needlessly complex device and leave him, trusting that the device will kill him.
Scott Evil: Why don't I just shoot him. Now. Pow!
Dr. Evil: You just don't get it.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #22
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

I missed some parts of the show do to by ADHD, but what is the significance of Molly Walker?

ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #23
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
I missed some parts of the show do to by ADHD, but what is the significance of Molly Walker?
She can find anybody.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #24
Fahtrim

I started it, but immediately got the feel that this was a continuation of the previous Heroes series which I gave up on for being terrible. So I felt like I was missing context as well, so I stopped......

Now I'm wondering if I should finish the first series then watch this, but there was just something that got so terrible about the first series, I'm not sure I want to do that......

Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:30 PM   #25
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
She was in the prior series.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #26
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Or, when he was standing behind Noah, he could've just shot him.

Dr. Evil: We are going to put Austin Powers in an elaborately and needlessly complex device and leave him, trusting that the device will kill him.
Scott Evil: Why don't I just shoot him. Now. Pow!
Dr. Evil: You just don't get it.
So much this.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #27
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Yeah, I get what you are all talking about, but I found it entertaining, and I try not to over think these types of shows, but maybe that's because I'm not a SciFi/comic book geek and I just accept stuff for how they are. I watched the original until about midway through the last season when it just got stupid.

I like the teenager and his not figuring out how to control what he does and not being sure exactly what that is, but you knew the boyfriend would find him out. I also liked the penny guy, and I'm guessing he's a caretaker for the evos of some sort. Not sure about Zach Levi's and his "wife's" character yet, because I'm not sure what his purpose is yet, but maybe that will be explained later.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #28
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Not sure about Zach Levi's and his "wife's" character yet, because I'm not sure what his purpose is yet, but maybe that will be explained later.
Not sure why you put wife in quotes...their son died at the Primatech explosion, and they blame the Evos and want to kill them all for revenge. She's just a bit more dedicated to the mission than he is.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #29
MonsterJoe
♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪

I've tried to watch this 4 times already. I keep falling asleep. I'll try again at lunch today.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #30
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
I've tried to watch this 4 times already. I keep falling asleep. I'll try again at lunch today.
I fell asleep twice before finally abandoning watching the second hour until the following day.

It was ok although I'm tired of reading English subtitles in the Japanese segments already. I'll keep watching until something else knocks it out of the rotation.

Fo' Fo' Fo' - Moses Malone
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote