TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #1
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

"The Americans" is back Jan. 28...and bring on Martha!

The Americans returns next Wed (Jan. 28), and it looks like a lot of Martha-centric plot line this season...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
The Americans returns next Wed (Jan. 28), and it looks like a lot of Martha-centric plot line this season...
Martha does not have a fake marriage. It's a real marriage to a fake guy who is (maybe) married to another fake.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
Martha does not have a fake marriage. It's a real marriage to a fake guy who is (maybe) married to another fake.
I heard an interview on NPR with one of the creators of the show and this kind of marriage was a real thing-Russian spies here in America would marry their "assets" and extract info from them...that is wild! I am super excited about this season..except for

Spoiler:
I read that Phillip and Elizabeth's former handler, played by Frank Langella, will be on the show... Um, yeah, "Granny's" sitcom got cancelled so bring her back! GRANNY! GRANNY! GRANNY!

Old 01-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
tivotvaddict
Creatively Challenge

Thanks for the head's up bierboy!! This is one of my top shows, by far, and I can't wait to see where they go with it this season.

Hating that network tv is ripping off the series in the same way State of Affairs ripped off Homeland. Good to have the original back!

tta
Old 01-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivotvaddict View Post
Hating that network tv is ripping off the series in the same way State of Affairs ripped off Homeland. Good to have the original back!
Seriously what's up with that! Just from the commercial I saw alone it looks like this is way more egregious than the State of Affairs/Homeland rip off. This new show basically looks like Page grows up to become a CIA officer and then Elizabeth and Philip have to tell her they're KBG spies and need her to work for their side, lol. I almost couldn't believe how similar it looked.

Can't wait for Americans to be back...It's one of those shows that I liked but then kind of got over - I had stopped watching season 1 w/ four episodes saved up and then when 2 was about to start I figured I may as well watch them, and then got hooked. Season 2 was awesome, looking forward to season 3.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
Seriously what's up with that! Just from the commercial I saw alone it looks like this is way more egregious than the State of Affairs/Homeland rip off. This new show basically looks like Page grows up to become a CIA officer and then Elizabeth and Philip have to tell her they're KBG spies and need her to work for their side, lol. I almost couldn't believe how similar it looked.
Yeah, that one baffles me. There's so little that can be done with the premise beyond what The Americans has done, unless I'm completely missing something. And The Americans had to have already been making waves when they were working on this one. I'm gonna watch it just to see what the heck they were thinking. Maybe they'll surprise me and come up with an interesting twist that will make it worthwhile. Or maybe it really is just a sign of the utter creative bankruptcy of some neighborhoods in Hollywood.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivotvaddict View Post
What show are you talking about?

(I don't get Showtime, so haven't seen Homeland.. State of Affairs is pretty decent.. I thought Homeland was about spies and such, not government office workers?!?!)

I'm only 8 eps into the 2nd season.. but I've wondered if one of these spies could somehow
quit/defect without (1) being killed (e.g. by the KGB) or (2) being arrested or at least put into witness protection program by going to the FBI..

With the father starting to like the US at least a little (that was evident even in S1, but in S2, he finally got the mother to say "yes, it's nicer, but not better" or something close to that), I've wondered if someone could actually get out if they wanted.

I know it'll never happen, but the last episode should be them getting arrested, and their kids wanting them executed for being damn traitors.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:10 AM   #8
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah, that one baffles me. There's so little that can be done with the premise beyond what The Americans has done, unless I'm completely missing something. And The Americans had to have already been making waves when they were working on this one. I'm gonna watch it just to see what the heck they were thinking. Maybe they'll surprise me and come up with an interesting twist that will make it worthwhile. Or maybe it really is just a sign of the utter creative bankruptcy of some neighborhoods in Hollywood.
The most baffling thing about it is that it is set in the modern day but still uses Russia as the evil empire that's spying on the US. While I'm sure there is still spying going on between the US and Russia, that just seems like a very odd premise for a TV show given that many of the people in broadcast TV's target demographic don't even remember a time when Russia was an enemy to the US.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:07 AM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The most baffling thing about it is that it is set in the modern day but still uses Russia as the evil empire that's spying on the US. While I'm sure there is still spying going on between the US and Russia, that just seems like a very odd premise for a TV show given that many of the people in broadcast TV's target demographic don't even remember a time when Russia was an enemy to the US.
Well, there have been a couple of famous Russian spy rings in recent years...and one that was busted yesterday! I think anybody who's watched the news the past year or two would consider Russia an enemy to the US, although not in the same we we did back in the USSR's day. Hell, John McCain wants us to go to war with them! (Although John McCain probably wants us to go to war with Canada...)
Old 01-28-2015, 10:10 AM   #10
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
What show are you talking about?
I'm guessing that they're talking about Allegiance. I didn't know either, so I had to Google it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/...-the-americans
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote