TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
classicX
Don't scream.

Humans: "Pilot" OAD 06/28/2015

Just started watching my recording, but my goodness that synthetic is beautiful.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Having seen the first three, all I'll say is the remake may be even better than the original...and that's saying something.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
Cainebj

Remake? I didn't realize the AMC show was a remake.

I liked it. I also didn't realize it was featuring a mostly British cast before going in...

Last edited by Cainebj; 06-29-2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: more
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
classicX
Don't scream.

How have you seen the first three?

Old 06-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Remake? I didn't realize the AMC show was a remake.
It was originally a Swedish show that ran for two seasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX View Post
How have you seen the first three?
It's been airing in England a couple of weeks ahead of the US.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
Marc

TC CLUB MEMBER
I really enjoyed the first episode. I had created the OnePass because TiVo was promoting it, and I'm glad that I did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
markp99
TakoKichi

Yes, really liked this episode.

I just cannot look at Katherine Parkinson without smiling (IT Crowd). Happy to see her in something new.

markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
No wonder my info showed the air date as 06/14, but my recording date was 06/28.

IMDB shows the actors appearing in only 8 episodes - is this a miniseries or are those just the 8 show titles that were released? I really liked the show and the setup; a little bit of I, Robot mixed with Being Human.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #9
Ereth

Huh. I gave up half way through.

I like how very British it is. I enjoyed that.
I didn't like much else. I found a family who considers it a crisis that mom was away for 5 whole days, and spends much of their time whining about that, to be so pathetic as to be unsympathetic.

Perhaps because I'm a military brat, and detachments are usually minimum 2 weeks, and deployments are 6 months or longer. 5 days? That's a cake walk.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:32 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

The first season is 8 episodes.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #11
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I like how very British it is. I enjoyed that.
I didn't like much else. I found a family who considers it a crisis that mom was away for 5 whole days, and spends much of their time whining about that, to be so pathetic as to be unsympathetic.
It's more that she's gone a lot, and more often longer than she promised she'd be gone.

--Carlos "slips the '18+' software in his back pocket" V.

Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
caslu

Quote:
Having seen the first three, all I'll say is the remake may be even better than the original...and that's saying something.
I sampled the original (per your recommendation) and it was good, but definitely prefer the British version... it's excellent, and more Gemma Chang please!

caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #13
Marc

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
It's more that she's gone a lot, and more often longer than she promised she'd be gone.
Right, it's about having a generally absent mother.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:02 PM   #14
danterner
Not it!

I just watched the first episode, and loved it. They really nailed the uncanny valley. The only thing that was a bit jarring was the prominent use of current gen Apple products.

| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #15
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

The family got screwed up 2 years prior it seems, Maybe they lost a family member? but something bad happened back then and the wife and the children are showing some effects from it. That is what It seemed to me.

DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #16
mattack

Quote:
Figured so because of the OADs shown in Explore This Show.. (But there's a big gap between ep 4 and 5...)

Though that brings up another question I had. I admit I'm not going to bother watching the "original" versions again, but anybody know if/how many minutes were cut out to make it fit a normal hour timeslot? At least a few other of these shared British/U.S. shows have routinely been cut down.. (Even though the cable networks would be more likely to just show them in longer timeslots.. and yes, they do sometimes, but usually not for every week's episode.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
I just cannot look at Katherine Parkinson without smiling (IT Crowd). Happy to see her in something new.
Yet another example of "I know who she is but have to look her up".

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:03 PM   #17
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I just watched the first episode, and loved it. They really nailed the uncanny valley. The only thing that was a bit jarring was the prominent use of current gen Apple products.
They also prominently displayed Windows Surface stuff, too.

It's supposed to be a "parallel reality" where android tech obviously advanced faster than ours.

--Carlos V.

Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:40 AM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
They also prominently displayed Windows Surface stuff, too. It's supposed to be a "parallel reality" where android tech obviously advanced faster than ours.

--Carlos V.
One review I saw called it an "alternate present" where nearly everything else is as we know it today, other than the tech required to create these synthetic life forms.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:45 AM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Huh. I gave up half way through.

I like how very British it is. I enjoyed that. I didn't like much else. I found a family who considers it a crisis that mom was away for 5 whole days, and spends much of their time whining about that, to be so pathetic as to be unsympathetic.

Perhaps because I'm a military brat, and detachments are usually minimum 2 weeks, and deployments are 6 months or longer. 5 days? That's a cake walk.
Did you make it far enough into the episode to see the conversation between the husband and the wife where he tells her he feels like she's been avoiding him and the family, and he got the synth as a way to hopefully reduce the stress in their lives so they'll be able to spend more time together and repair their relationship?

In other words, it was a deeper issue than simply that he couldn't cope with his wife being gone a few days longer than originally planned.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:50 AM   #20
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

So are we supposed to believe that Anita is conscious and aware of all the stuff the family is saying about her? Or has she been reprogrammed so she's not sentient? And why was she walking down the street carrying the little girl when previously in the episode she said that she was programmed not to initiate contact unless it was an emergency?

Old 06-30-2015, 04:52 AM   #21
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
So are we supposed to believe that Anita is conscious and aware of all the stuff the family is saying about her? Or has she been reprogrammed so she's not sentient? And why was she walking down the street carrying the little girl when previously in the episode she said that she was programmed not to initiate contact unless it was an emergency?
Yes. No. She lied.

Apparently being conscious and having emotions negates the Asmovian laws.

ej42137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:29 AM   #22
classicX
Don't scream.

It is likely that the absence is simply a reminder of what happened years ago; perhaps the wife had an affair and was using work as an excuse. She said at one point "the case ran long, you can check with the office." People usually say things like that when there are trust issues.

Being a father of two young children and having a wife that has a long commute, I can relate to his frustration. Dealing with the two I have now is already hard, I can't imagine having my wife away for several days at a time. And with three kids. I think his reasons for wanting the synth are very valid.

Although if I got a synth and she looked like that I would probably never get anything done because I would just stare at her all day.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:28 AM   #23
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Although if I got a synth and she looked like that I would probably never get anything done because I would just stare at her all day.
And your wife might be justified in doubting your motives...

Old 06-30-2015, 06:42 AM   #24
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:
And your wife might be justified in doubting your motives...
Maybe, but the impeccably clean house would quell any suspicion.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:06 AM   #25
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

I liked it enough to keep the pass but I was pretty damn bored overall. I don't feel like they're breaking any new ground here.

Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:09 AM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Yeah, you just keep telling yourself that...

Old 06-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #27
ej42137

Quote:
I'm sorry, did you not see the 18+ option instruction card?

ej42137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #28
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
I'm sorry, did you not see the 18+ option instruction card?
Is that what the guy ran after him and gave him afterwards?

Old 06-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #29
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Did you make it far enough into the episode to see the conversation between the husband and the wife where he tells her he feels like she's been avoiding him and the family, and he got the synth as a way to hopefully reduce the stress in their lives so they'll be able to spend more time together and repair their relationship?

In other words, it was a deeper issue than simply that he couldn't cope with his wife being gone a few days longer than originally planned.
Yeah, I got that far.

I was particularly bothered by the eldest daughter. I reacted that way when I was 10 and my dad was going TDY all the time. By the time I was a teenager, it was no big deal and my sister and I both knew our parts to make sure everything went smoothly while dad was gone. It's his job. Sometimes he was gone for a few days. Sometimes a few weeks. Sometimes a few months. And, yes, sometimes he'd be gone a bit more than he was home. You adapt.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #30
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Yeah, I got that far.

I was particularly bothered by the eldest daughter. I reacted that way when I was 10 and my dad was going TDY all the time. By the time I was a teenager, it was no big deal and my sister and I both knew our parts to make sure everything went smoothly while dad was gone. It's his job. Sometimes he was gone for a few days. Sometimes a few weeks. Sometimes a few months. And, yes, sometimes he'd be gone a bit more than he was home. You adapt.
The teenage daughter is definitely a brat. But in addition to her mom being gone a lot, she's also dealing with the reality that synths are taking over the world and it may not make sense for people to waste time getting educated anymore, if a synth can be programmed to do all the jobs at a fraction of the time and cost.

Pat, you seem like a very practical and pragmatic person. If all TV characters were like that, there would be no drama and most TV shows would suck. You've got to accept that there will always be irrational characters on TV doing stuff that is totally stupid, so that there will be drama for the plot to revolve around.