Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2016, 02:19 AM   #1
JYoung
Series 3

Person of Interest - S05E04 - "6,741"

Many POI fans have been asking the critical question, “What happened to Shaw?!”
Tonight, we got an answer but will fans like it?

As it turns out, our favorite Persian Operative has been tortured for months. Torture which includes operations to implant one of those chips we’ve seen before.

Shaw manages to escape her prison by fighting her way out and finding a convenient boat to get back to the city.

But she knows she just can’t go back to Team Machine’s lair so she engineers a rather clever way to get their attention.

Once Root comes and rescues her, Root and Reese get the chip out and take her to a safe house.

Root of course, is ecstatic to get Shaw (and Shaw eventually shows her appreciation) while Reese and Finch are more cautious as Martine stated that Shaw had been turned.

And it is a problem because Shaw is acting erratically, to the point of rashly taking the fight directly to Greer.

Fortunately, our team manages to take Greer alive and hide him in an old crypt.
Interrogation and examination of Greer find a usb drive hidden in his arm which Shaw believes is Samaritan’s kill switch.
After examination, Finch believes it as well and goes to plug it in a net connected pc.

At which point, Greer tells Shaw that she’s working for him and the kill code is actually a beacon for Samaritan to find the Machine, which causes her to shoot Greer.

Reese hustles her out of there and tries to warn Finch. Reese also tried to talk Shaw down but she winds up shooting him in the back then telling Finch and Root that Decima goons shot Reese.

Root track down Shaw and tries to help her but Shaw says she’s too compromised.
After confessing her feelings for Root, Shaw blows her own brains out rather then hurt her friends more.

Of course, then it’s revealed that this is the 6741st VR simulation that Greer has run on Shaw to try to find the Machine.

I will confessed that I tumbled to the fact that this wasn’t real when Reese turned his back on Shaw so she could shoot him but the clues are there.
The aforementioned convenient boat.
The silver BMW.
The store clerk.

Still, it’s a very interesting Shaw story that’s well done send your mind and emotions running the full gamut.

Props to Sarah Shahi for her performance and her being made up to really look sick and weak and not “glamorous sick”.

One does kind of hope it was true that Shaw killed six of the doctor's men though.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
MikeCC
TiVotee

I liked seeing Shaw back, but I hope that somehow she gets reunited with her Machine colleagues. We're not likely to see any more of those VR "gotchas," since we were surprised once. I'll be disappointed if they try that again, as much as I loves me more Sarah Shahi.

MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #3
Howie
Out of Pocket

Now that was some good TV. Glad Shaw didn't really die. I so want her to come back and kick some Samaritan @ss in A(ctual)R, not just VR.

Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I actually figured that it wasn't real very early. In fact almost immediately when she used the chair to break the glass I was suspicious and when she went over the fence and saw the bay and the boat I was very sure. To me it looked just like the place where she sees the sunset in her vision. However, I enjoyed the episode anyway! I hope they manage to find her.

I can't remember: does Shaw actually know where the Machine is anymore? Somehow I thought they moved into their subway bunker after she was captured.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
mattack

This is one of the few "is it real?" episodes that I remember "getting" me in quite a while.

I suspected it was fake very very early on, but then actually started thinking it might be real (but somehow Reese would miraculously survive). This show is one that I could almost imagine most of/the whole cast dying in the last few episodes.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Root of course, is ecstatic to get Shaw (and Shaw eventually shows her appreciation)
LOL. Yes, that's one way of putting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
One does kind of hope it was true that Shaw killed six of the doctor's men though.
I also hope it was real.

verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:52 AM   #7
Craigbob

Very good ep. Nice to see Shaw back as well. I was pretty sure from the get go it was all a VR dream. It is too much a trope of TV for it not to have been. I'm surprised they kept it up to the end. but it shows just how strong/resilient Sameen is.

I hope they rescue her before the end of the show.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:00 AM   #8
Fixer
Fixin' it!!

6,741 attempts and they still haven't broken her?? GO SAMEEN!!

I was relieved to see it was just an elaborate VR simulation. I was about to cry when she seemingly killed herself. Bring Shaw back just to kill her off after one ep?? BIH Jonathan Nolan!!!

Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #9
Amnesia
The Question

I thought it was real all the way until Shaw killed John, though I was under the impression that Samaritan let Shaw escape, because they had some way to track her back to our team...

Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #10
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

One weird thing: somewhere I heard she's been captured for 9 months. If we posit a 30-day month average and she's been running simulations 24/7 and got through 6741 iterations, then each simulation takes just under 1 hour (57.68 minutes) on average... !! We can assume some take less time than others but still, that's a lot of compression considering she had supposedly escaped for at least two days.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #11
jlb
NCC-1701-D

It may have been VR simulation but that appreciation scene was very real for us!!!

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk