TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #121
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I don't get the judges criticism of Stacey. I don't see what they see. Except for maybe the over-anxiousness.
gossamer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #122
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
I don't get the judges criticism of Stacey. I don't see what they see. Except for maybe the over-anxiousness.
The criticism is something that lots of the guest judges have said also. A fake face. She may be over anxious and tries to cover it by smiling too much and being sometimes in your face (remember the donut guy). The one time she did really well was when she relaxed a little and told a story before going into the food description.

I think Damaris is able to do that the best. A combination of a homey feel and explaining the dish. Everytime one of them does that the judges love it. I think Pie Man is trying too hard to impress them with his entertaining because he can't really talk like a food network person. he can't really describe the food that is in the pie in a way to help the audience understand and want to make it at home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #123
SoBelle0
What's next?

I was so surprised -they canned Nikki over Pie Guy!??!

I'm still rooting for Demaris... although, Nikki had my favorite 'idea' for her show. I think that concept would be a nice add to FN.
Hopefully y'all are right, and she'll get a CC show. I need to see if I even have that channel.

I also noticed how mean Stacey seemed to come off this time. Her sneers seemed more personal than competitive - don't think I had noticed that before, so could just be an edit.
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #124
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Holy crap... how could they even think pie guys pitch was good (neat concept but terrible delivery as usual) and to give him a pilot over Stacey??? I'm no fan of Stacey but thats unbelievable. They must be piping in some good stuff into the studios.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #125
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

I think it was Bob who said it that the concept was a little lost, but Rodney is a character. Look at his one liners that come out of him.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #126
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I am so happy that Stacey is out and those three are in. Stacey's pitch was horrible.

I liked the Pie guy and Russell's pilots but thought Damaris's pilot was a bit odd. The guy she brought in looked like a actor trying to look like a nerd. But it's not just that. She is showing MEN how to cook. Why not make it men and women both. Make it open to anyone that wants to impress their loved one.

This sort of reminds me of the show where the 5 guys all came in and did a makeover of a clients house, clothes, style and got him ready for a great dinner to impress his lady.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #127
secondclaw

I was underwhelmed by the pilots. Damaris just wasn't herself, didn't make eye contact with the audience, and the pie makeover and 'sin' concepts are stupid ... ugh ...
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #128
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't think I will be voting either. I just went to vote and it asked for access to my FB account, friends, and information.

Uh. No.

You can also vote by phone if you don't want to allow that access. Eh. Too much trouble.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #129
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Did anyone else notice the stupid set of Damaris' pilot? It's VERY weird to have a washer/dryer combo in a kitchen. They could have shot to the side of it but instead it was very clearly in the shots.

I think, judging strictly by the pilots, only Rodney deserves to win. Not that I'd watch his show but he did have the best pilot, IMO.

Hot4Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #130
GoHalos

I was surprised that they didn't want to see Stacey's pilot (and that they kicked off Nikki last week, too), but, of the three finalists, I'd have to give it to Damaris, as the other two I don't think I'd want to watch.

Damaris was at least watchable, and we've seen before that they don't always use the winner's POV for the actual show (like Melissa d'Arabian in season 5, where her POV was "Kitchen Survival Guide", but her show ended up being "Ten Dollar Dinners". I think they could reformulate Damaris' POV to something watchable.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #131
GoHalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot4Bo View Post
Did anyone else notice the stupid set of Damaris' pilot? It's VERY weird to have a washer/dryer combo in a kitchen. They could have shot to the side of it but instead it was very clearly in the shots.
I actually didn't notice the washer/dryer in her pilot, but that is a common configuration in European kitchens. No clue as to why they did that for her pilot, though.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #132
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
This is a screenshot of the video on the Food Network site. I stopped the video at the right time but it put up the menu bar. You can still see the washer/dryer though. This was when she was introducing the guy but it was shown a few other times as well.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #133
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
I think it was Bob who said it that the concept was a little lost, but Rodney is a character. Look at his one liners that come out of him.
You mean when you can understand him. And I'm sure he's a nice guy and is certainly a character, but I don't think "teaching" is his thing.

Basically his whole show is taking other peoples dishes and putting a crust over them. Really? That's gonna get old quick.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #134
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I am so happy that Stacey is out and those three are in. Stacey's pitch was horrible.

I liked the Pie guy and Russell's pilots but thought Damaris's pilot was a bit odd. The guy she brought in looked like a actor trying to look like a nerd. But it's not just that. She is showing MEN how to cook. Why not make it men and women both. Make it open to anyone that wants to impress their loved one.
Well women are allowed to watch.

Don't over think it, it's just a concept to show people how to make easy southern dishes and reel in a male audience. The women will always watch but it makes it more interesting for men if men can identify with the show.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #135
dbranco

I get a "Guy Fieri" feel from the Pie Guy. Overcompensating personality for lack of being able to cook. (And I like Guy's "Diners Drive-Ins and Dives" show.)
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #136
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The guy she brought in looked like a actor trying to look like a nerd.
Way worse than a nerd... a hipster!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #137
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot4Bo View Post

I think, judging strictly by the pilots, only Rodney deserves to win. Not that I'd watch his show but he did have the best pilot, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
I actually didn't notice the washer/dryer in her pilot, but that is a common configuration in European kitchens. No clue as to why they did that for her pilot, though.
Actually it's not that uncommon around here (baltimore). Not so much in apartments but in the small rowhomes we have. That kitchen in the pilot could have been my neighbor's kitchen almost exactly.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #138
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Actually it's not that uncommon around here (baltimore). Not so much in apartments but in the small rowhomes we have. That kitchen in the pilot could have been my neighbor's kitchen almost exactly.
I guess I didn't word it correctly. There's really nothing wrong with having it in the kitchen. I just thought it was a REALLY odd choice to have that as a set for a pilot for a TV show.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #139
nickels
opinionated dope

Said it earlier and I'll say it again - Damaris is too racy for the network. She is using too much "sex" on a family channel. The 7 sins... how far can you go with adding sugar, bacon, and bourbon to every dish? Pie Guy - same thing.... Take any dish and put it in a pie shell. Wow, that will be fun to watch every week. At this point I'm at a loss as none of these three are star worthy. If pie guy wasn't a mush mouth I'd say he'd win and they just give him a different show from his concept. I have no urge to vote, as I don't like any of the pilots that were shown nor would I watch any of them.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #140
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Said it earlier and I'll say it again - Damaris is too racy for the network. She is using too much "sex" on a family channel.
...oh, come on. She's a moderate flirt at best.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #141
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Can't believe I'm saying this but I like Russell's pilot the best. Pie Guy's was the worse.
gossamer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #142
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Said it earlier and I'll say it again - Damaris is too racy for the network. She is using too much "sex" on a family channel. ...
I only watch giada for the recipes

Highslide JS
click to enlarge ...
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #143
nickels
opinionated dope

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
I only watch giada for the recipes

Highslide JS
click to enlarge ...
Ah yes, my favorite recipe of melons on the beach.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #144
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I dislike Rodney and think he should have been gone long ago...but I liked his pilot the best. I liked when Jeff the sandwich guy made everything into a sandwich so I guess I'd like someone turning dishes into pies. Not that I'd actually watch it--the three minutes we saw was just about right.

Sin guy? Blah. Wow, your ice cream is Cabernet? Well here's a completely unrelated but it has alcohol in it so it's related bourbon ice cream with bacon. That's almost like "Here's a cheese sandwich" and him saying "Well here's a slab of homemade candied bacon with parm sprinkled on it."

I like Demeris but her pilot sucked.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #145
JoBeth66
Temp

Can we rewind and make them let Nikki do a pilot? Of the 3 of them, only Damaris would be watchable, but I don't think I'd watch her show much, either. I'm so tired of 'pie style', I hope they send him home 'pie style'.

Russell's pilot was boring. It was better than Rodney's, but only just. Damaris' concept is at least intriguing, but still not overly interesting to watch.

Meh.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #146
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeth66 View Post
I'm so tired of 'pie style'

I thought it was just me. Hearing that now is like nails on a chalkboard. Way over used just like his use of awesome. And I think he's a nice guy, I just don't think he has a tv persona. Rock & Roll persona yes, tv not so much.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #147
sharkster

I find it unbelievable that creepy pie guy, with his ridiculous notion of making anything into a pie, is still there. That said, however, and as I'm sure we all know by now, they know who they want to 'win' from pretty early on and they do what it takes to make that happen.

I don't think it's pie guy they want to win but they want somebody ridiculous and weak in there to make the 'win' look more legit.

I think they picked southern girl out a long time ago.

I think sins guy did a good job and I love his change to 'guilty pleasures'. That sounds a lot better and has a lot of possibilities. The briefcase thing was kind of cool. He did a good job, although I would have probably chosen a different venue (i.e. something savory in lieu of ice cream) to get a wider appeal.

The southern girl does a pretty good job but she needs a LOT of work. I think her POV is too narrow. She will probably win because she is the one I think they want to win. The only one who would totally shock me for the win would be pie dude. Aside from Dooshy, IMO, he was the worst of the bunch.

I went onto the website and tried to vote but they want to force you into Facebook and I have no interest in joining FB again. Sucks that these voting type things not only want to push you into social media but they ask for too much personal info. I hate making phone calls so I didn't make that choice either. I guess not having voted means I have no right to speak but, oh well.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #148
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeth66 View Post
Can we rewind and make them let Nikki do a pilot?
This. Please!

Old 08-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #149
sharkster

How much you wanna bet Nikki shows up on The Cooking Channel? I think she will and I would watch.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #150
secondclaw

Quote:
This. Please!
Yep - too bad there is no 'write-in' vote - I would have actually bothered. The idea that 'mentors' picked these people for the network to choose from is laughable.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote